Yea Chickens!!

4,036 Views | 22 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by Cardiac Saturday
Cardiac Saturday
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Pulling for the Coastal Carolina Chanticleers to beat Purple Baylor tonight and go all the way
Mark Fairchild
AG
Pulling for the frogs and Micah.
Gig'em, Ole Army Class of '70
ftworthag02
AG
Pulling for frogs & Micah
histag10
AG
I haven't been over here in a while. Processing my sadness about supers.

Has there been an update on Micah?
TexasRebel
AG
They haven't talked about him on TV as far as I've seen.

TCU will have to buck the trend. They are the last regional host to play.

I've mixed feelings. If they win tonight and finish out on Tuesday we will have been their only NCAA tournament loss. Then again, I'd be okay with the big 12 not reaching the final. Of course, if oSu wins it I get grad student bragging rights...
EMY92
AG
I think Swimmer posted that he was in Omaha.
TexasRebel
AG
He is. They've talked about him in the other TCU games.
Mark Fairchild
AG
Micah puts everything in perspective.
Gig'em, Ole Army Class of '70
Spyderman
AG
quote:
Pulling for the Coastal Carolina Chanticleers to beat Purple Baylor tonight and go all the way
histag10
AG
quote:
I think Swimmer posted that he was in Omaha.

Glad to hear he is doing well enough to travel
mdanyc03
AG
Anybody but tcu.
ftworthag02
AG
https://m.facebook.com/Praying-for-Micah-Ahern-143168165732233/
Scroll down 3 posts
TexasRebel
histag10
AG
Breaks my heart and brings tears to my eyes everytime I read those updates.
mdanyc03
AG
I hope what I say here is not offensive to anybody.

We live in a world with massive suffering. Micah is a reminder of that. There are 40,000 children that die EVERY DAY from preventable diseases. I have faith in an all knowing, loving God and therefore I do not feel bitterness or anger about the suffering in the world. But the fact is that all of us need a break from "real" stuff or life would be unmanageable. And that is why we care about sports. It allows us to "care" about something that we also know really doesn't matter.

I think what the TCU players did for Micah and his family is neat. But when the media and public starts to make his story part of the created narrative of the game, it frankly bothers me and comes across as almost exploitative.

If we are going to get "real", lets start talking about cancer research and malaria and child malnutrition and move baseball back the irrelevancy that we all really know it is. If we are going to watch a baseball game, let's keep it to baseball.
histag10
AG
I haven't been the CWS, have they been talking about it during the broadcast? Have they only mentioned it during TCU games, or all games?

I personally don't see anything wrong with a color story about what motivates a team. In this case, it happens to be a little boy with terminal cancer.
swimmerbabe11
Micah has his own locker in the TCU locker room. His story has motivated a TON of research for neuroblastoma and childhood cancer research. The TCU forum is putting together selling superhero Micah tshirts and caps with the proceeds going to neuroblastoma research.

Stories like this prompt people to *do* something.

Between supers and Omaha a 30k scholarship was put together by donors in Micah's name.

He only made it to one game, but pictures and stuff and watching him in the dugout with the boys was heart melting.

They talked about him nonstop for Tech Game when he was here, didn't hear much last night. Apparently Abby Faber was there as well...she's a little girl Boykin was nice to and then things kinda blew up around that.
TexasRebel
AG
I'm just not a fan of the extracurriculars in the broadcast like that when it makes one team seem like the "bad guys" if they win.
mdanyc03
AG
That's wonderful and good for tcu.

I still hope anybody but tcu wins.
swimmerbabe11
Last night's game was all about Rafiki the Rally Monkey. One of the other's had an elk, OSU has a dinosaur

I think there are 8 teams and they focus in on things to make the teams more personable. We have Micah.

Some pics from the week

It's been a lil rough though :/
quote:
Please pray

I wish I could say that Micah had a good day but he has been in quite a bit of pain today in his spine. We went to see the oncologist today and while we were there we met with the amazing Dr. Gandhi with the pain team. She has added some additional pain meds and I am praying they kick in quickly and provide some relief. When Micah is in pain he gets very angry. Please pray that his pain would be under control. Micah and I will be leaving tomorrow to head to Omaha, Nebraska to the College World Series. We will be cheering on Micah's teammates at the TCU game tomorrow night at 8pm. Make sure and tune in and maybe you'll see Micah too.

http://cw33.com/2016/06/21/superhero-micah-flies-to-omaha-to-join-his-frogs/

After the first game:
BoerneGator
AG
Some of us just want to watch good baseball without all of the props and distractions (contrived or otherwise). It used to be that sports coverage was (mostly) exempt from all of that. Perhaps Lou Gherig changed that, but we're far afield from that now. Too far!
Tailgate88
AG
Swimmer, please post a link for Micah's t-shirt purchase page.
swimmerbabe11
Too cute Looks like when the team got home, they stopped at Micah's house before letting out.

Link to the t-shirt page.

Hats are still in development.
Cardiac Saturday
AG
CCU wins it all - congrats to them!!!!!!
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.