Tyler Ivey Gone

45,677 Views | 285 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Aggies2009
iLargeAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
According to Gabe he's going JUCO.
ftworthag02
AG
What?
Baby Billy
AG
Yep
Baby Billy
AG
Wabs
AG
Welp, that blows.
AggieBB
AG
Really odd decision. I thought he was great until all the innings caught up with his freshman arm. Would have thought he would be right in the mix to be a weekend starter next year.
The Collective
AG
quote:
Tyler Ivey gone

Sea Gull
AG
Wonder why? Maybe him and RC didn't see eye to eye? Not the first time this has happened...
Amazing Moves
Mass exodus.. Back to 2013.
ensign_beedrill
AG
Nooo.
Lance Uppercut
AG
Unfortunate, because his curve was fun to watch.

quote:
Mass exodus...back to 2013

The problem is probably, in part, because not enough people left from the pitching staff. Larkins and Hill are almost guarantees to take up 2 of the weekend spots, and my guess is Kilkenny is starting as well.

Ivey had to fight through an injury at one point, but was relegated to Tuesday duty for the last 2 months of the season. After beginning the season as a starter, and pitching 12 innings in the first 2 weeks of the season, he pitched 10.2 for the final 2 months.

Childress was willing to use freshmen Kolek and Kilkenny (and sophomore Sherrod) as part of the weekend bullpen, but after getting pulled after 1.1 IP in the Florida start on April 1st, Ivey didn't face another SEC team. And there's a new freshman class and juco players coming in to compete with as well.

My guess is it hinges on playing time. He didn't get much for half of the season after beginning the season as a starter, doesn't see that a starting spot is guaranteed here, and wants to get a better chance to play somewhere else.
W
AG
yeesh, that makes 15 players gone off the 2016 roster (posted on the aggie athletics website).

um, I hope this isn't becoming a rats-off-a-sinking-ship thing
Rocco S
I think there's a decent chance the 2016 SR is a watershed moment for the program, with the way 2017 is looking right now
Lance Uppercut
AG
That's ridiculous. 8 of those players left because they were seniors and aren't given the chance to stay on the "boat".

6 of them left because they played their way to paydays and/or professional careers, and don't have much to gain by coming back to play a senior season of college baseball. (Vines, Ecker, and Hendrix made some decent money. Boomer and Birk were All-Americans and that probably means they've maximized their value achieving that as juniors. Banks hasn't signed).

1 guy transferred....and suddenly we're a sinking ship and in a watershed moment because we made the mistake of having too many players that MLB teams wanted to draft.
TAL06RES
AG
There is a lot of roster turnover every year in baseball... just the way it works. All the uproar over transfers is overblown. They didn't want to be here, and now they're gone. It happens. They'll be replaced.

As Lance said, the guys signing pro contracts are living out a dream and getting paid much more than they would if they came back and played one more year and had no leverage at the end of that year (maxed out draft potential)
Rocco S
I didn't say anything about who is leaving. I'm looking at who we will have. I'm looking at the big picture. The negative recruiting ammo on us is going to be pretty high.
Sandman98
AG
quote:
yeesh, that makes 15 players gone off the 2016 roster (posted on the aggie athletics website).

You're better than this.
Sandman98
AG
quote:
Wonder why? Maybe him and RC didn't see eye to eye? Not the first time this has happened...

Seems like Ivey and Campero saw eye to eye. Notice what they have in common?

Every locker room at every level has guys that don't see eye to eye with the guy who writes the lineup. Almost always it's because their name isn't often on the left side of the card.
CorpusAg09
Maybe we can be like TCU next year and get to Omaha in a rebuilding year.
greg.w.h
AG
Must believe he will be drafted or sign as a free agent after next year if he gets more playing time.
TAL06RES
AG
Overblown as well, on both accounts.

We have plenty of great talent still in the program, so what big picture are you looking at?

This isn't football... recruiting is way different in baseball. There is most likely, very little to no effect on recruiting from Ivey leaving.
SMM48
AG
quote:

Huh?
Lance Uppercut
AG
quote:
The negative recruiting ammo on us is going to be pretty high.

If the entire recruiting pitch centered on success in Omaha. But I'd have to disagree if you think that if you offered a talented baseball player playing time at A&M that he won't be interested because we've lost in the super regionals.

1. Will I get to play?

2. Can you help me develop as a player and further my career in baseball? As posted a few weeks ago, A&M was either even or one under TCU in terms of guys playing in the big leagues. Childress coached teams had more players drafted to play in the minors. This year, the entire infield minus the shortstop, an outfield's worth of guys, and the battery of catcher plus 5 pitchers were drafted. 3 of those pitchers were offered 6 figures, the lowest being 375k. Our hitting coach has had these improvements with our guy's batting averages and power numbers, and helped these players improve their infield defense on the way to All-American and Defensive All-American numbers.

3. Facilities, good. The floor has been postseason appearances (even if we haven't broken through to the CWS), one of the few places in the country with consistent crowds that really appreciate college baseball, playing in what has been the best baseball conference of the past decade.

You act like it's hard to trick someone into playing ball here because of 2 games against TCU. That looks like a decent sales pitch to me.
SMM48
AG
quote:
quote:

Seems like Ivey and Campero saw eye to eye. Notice what they have in common?

Every locker room at every level has guys that don't see eye to eye with the guy who writes the lineup. Almost always it's because their name isn't often on the left side of the card.
Yep
Rocco S
quote:

We have plenty of great talent still in the program, so what big picture are you looking at?

This isn't football... recruiting is way different in baseball. There is most likely, very little to no effect on recruiting from Ivey leaving.
I didn't say anything about Ivey leaving.

I'm talking about the fact TCU and TT can tell any kid we are both after that they go to Omaha and we don't. And they can state that as fact because it is. The sips are going to have a new coach that's going to inject new lifeblood into a storied program, so we are going to have to deal with that as well. Then we also have to deal with the teams in our division, many of whom have made Omaha and have made noise there.

All I'm saying is if we miss the post season next year, recruiting slides, and we make a change at HC, the 2016 SR can be pointed to as the watershed moment.
TAL06RES
AG
quote:
quote:

I didn't say anything about Ivey leaving.

I'm talking about the fact TCU and TT can tell any kid we are both after that they go to Omaha and we don't. And they can state that as fact because it is. The sips are going to have a new coach that's going to inject new lifeblood into a storied program, so we are going to have to deal with that as well. Then we also have to deal with the teams in our division, many of whom have made Omaha and have made noise there.

All I'm saying is if we miss the post season next year, recruiting slides, and we make a change at HC, the 2016 SR can be pointed to as the watershed moment.
Then I misunderstood where you were going with negative recruiting. Got it now.

I still don't think negative recruiting is much of an issue, UNLESS, like you said we miss the post season next year. In the interim, not an issue. All of these kids that play baseball at the level we are talking about have been on the cusp at some point, and lost... unless they were a Bandito a few years back, but all those guys are in college now.

And for the record, given what we will have on campus next year, I think it's unlikely we miss the postseason altogether. We may not host, but I have a hard time thinking we will miss it.
BQ_90
AG
quote:
I didn't say anything about who is leaving. I'm looking at who we will have. I'm looking at the big picture. The negative recruiting ammo on us is going to be pretty high.
come on, you know this is just baseball, it's just bad luck, it's just luck of the draw man. Wait until next year, we'll the year after, man hold the rope, everything is perfect, we got the best coach in the game,

The SEC is tough, opps not this year, but hey we're #1 in the regular season polls man.

We WON a SEC tourney title, TCU can only dream of that.
Rocco S
Whether we make the post season by limping in as a 2 or 3 seed at whatever regional where we are eliminated or miss it altogether isn't going to stop the negative recruiting ammo I referred to.
Lance Uppercut
AG
Yeah the years preceding 2015 and 2016 really left us helpless in terms of fielding a baseball team.
SACR
AG
Attaboy Rocco, never give up on your argument, no matter how ridiculous.
Rocco S
quote:
Yeah the years preceding 2015 and 2016 really left us helpless in terms of fielding a baseball team.
Did TCU and TT have the negative recruiting ammo then they have now on us?
Sandman98
AG
quote:
quote:
Did TCU and TT have the negative recruiting ammo then they have now on us?

You don't understand how this works. Hang tight. Football season is upon us.
Lance Uppercut
AG
You really think Tech and TCU are going to grab up the exact 30 or so players that Childress wanted because they went to Omaha and we didn't.....regardless of playing time or scholarship opportunities? Do you really think that because of 2 games in 2 years, all the good players think A&M is literally incapable of being a good team, or do you think that might be your own personal hangup?

Baseball recruiting isn't football recruiting. Those schools aren't going to stockpile talent that's willing to ride the bench for 2 years just because they think they stand a better chance of going to Omaha. If past success at Omaha was the only way to put together teams that can get there, Tech wouldn't have gone. We wouldn't have gone in 2011. Wayne Graham and Garrido would still be the most highly regarded names in the sport. And 2012 and beyond would have meant we wouldn't have been able to sign any of the 12 guys that signed professional contracts in the past few weeks.
Rocco S
All I'm saying is I think we needed to get to Omaha this year for the future of the program. I think recruiting is going to be a more uphill battle in the coming years, especially if we have a down 2017 which is likely. The newness of the facilities is going to wear off soon if it hasn't already. It's not like our recruiting competition doesn't have nice facilities. TCU, TT, and Arkansas, teams we recruit against, can sell themselves as Omaha regulars. OSU is about to play for a NC in all likelihood. LSU is LSU. tu will have new lifeblood. I'm just looking at the overall landscape around us.

Maybe we have a surprise run in 2017. However, that's not what RC's track record suggests. After a good 07 and 08, we had lesser 09 and 10 seasons. A 2011 Omaha run was followed by not so great 13 and 14 seasons. We've had good teams in 15 and 16, and the 17 roster looks pretty thin at this point.

If we have a bad 2017, where we are below .500 in conference, and Woodward decides it's time to make a change, I think the 2016 SR is going to be looked at as the watershed moment.
MaroonStain
AG
quote:
Maybe we can be like TCU next year and get to Omaha in a rebuilding year.

We don't play in the BDF.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.