Lol @ the Horns

16,923 Views | 79 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by Mark Fairchild
Outlaw0206
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Now turned down by Savage.. Who is there 8th choice?
Aggie
AG
Some may be rather suprised at who they are making a run at.
Im sure it will surface soon one way or another.
AggieBand2004
AG
They'll end up promoting their pitching coach, and act like he was their first choice all along.
It's beyond me, how they still think a semi-transparent coaching search is a wise move.
TXAggie2011
AG
Who would be your honest to goodness top choices if the A&M job were to be open and which ones do you think A&M would be able to hire?

I'm glad they've apparently been turned down from some coaches, but hey, they're going after the best and its part of it. I enjoy that some guys aren't willing to take that job, but I'll wait to see who they hire before laughing too much.
CajunAggie
AG
Berkman says he wants it.
KatyAg88
So, who all now have turned them down?
Capt. America
AG
quote:
So, who all now have turned them down?

My thoughts as well. I want to see all seven of these names.
Short-Fingered Vulgarian

quote:
Some may be rather suprised at who they are making a run at.

Im sure it will surface soon one way or another.

I am not sure anyone they target would surprise me, unless it is a juco coach or Childress.

quote:
Who would be your honest to goodness top choices if the A&M job were to be open and which ones do you think A&M would be able to hire?

It is very tough to get a well-paid baseball coach to move from a good gig these days. You would have to money whip him and even then that might not work.
ftworthag02
AG
John Savage ucla
Pat Casey oregon st
Paul Mainieri lsu
Kevin O'sullivan florida
Jim Schlossnagle tcu
not sure about Tim Corbin vandy
Dan McDonnell louisville
Agsncws
AG
Its been said the Louisville coach was on the early want-list, but he was wrapped up quickly with a 10 year, $1M per agreement.

As is always the case, there's a lot of smoke involved in determining actual interest on all sides.
TXAggie2011
AG

quote:

quote:

It is very tough to get a well-paid baseball coach to move from a good gig these days. You would have to money whip him and even then that might not work.
Right, and that's sort of my point of asking the question. The only thing they're really doing differently is trying (at least per rumors) to get a well-paid coach and we're hearing about it. I can't laugh at them for that.

I'm sure some of the Aggies with the tin-foil hats spin that as Longhorn arrogance, but I would want A&M would aim for the stars too. Better try and see if you get lucky then not try at all, I say.
mdanyc03
AG
Meh, I disagree.

Look at programs that actually win games and they are the programs that make intelligent hires and then give them the support and resources need to be successful. Not necessarily those that "shoot for the stars."

Longhorns always beat their chest about being the destination job and are more concerned about demonstrating that they are the premier program by making a splash hire than actually making the right hire. They are uniquely more concerned about their status and perception than they are about winning.
SouthTex99
AG
TXAggie2011
AG
quote:
Meh, I disagree.

Look at programs that actually win games and they are the programs that make intelligent hires and then give them the support and resources need to be successful. Not necessarily those that "shoot for the stars."

Longhorns always beat their chest about being the destination job and are more concerned about demonstrating that they are the premier program by making a splash hire than actually making the right hire. They are uniquely more concerned about their status and perception than they are about winning.
They've now fired longtime coaches in football, men's basketball, and baseball because they all stopped winning enough...so I'm not sure about their not caring about winning. Just previous to that they fired their women's basketball coach for not winning. That's the coaches of biggest 4 sports on campus all getting fired in the matter of about 4 or 5 years and they all one thing in common--they stopped winning.

Obviously hires have to be intelligent to work out. But which of these guys would not be an intelligent hire?
mdanyc03
AG
quote:
quote:
Meh, I disagree.

They've now fired longtime coaches in football, men's basketball, and baseball because they all stopped winning enough...so I'm not sure about their not caring about winning. Just previous to that they fired their women's basketball coach for not winning. That's the coaches of biggest 4 sports on campus all getting fired in the matter of about 4 or 5 years and they all one thing in common--they stopped winning.

Obviously hires have to be intelligent to work out. But which of these guys would not be an intelligent hire?
Well a coach that you don't hire obviously doesn't count as an intelligent hire.

I would consider the top four coaches in college baseball right now to be
Kevin O'Sullivan
Brian O'Connor
Tim Corbin
Jim Schlossnagle

Based on success over the past couple of years.

Of those four guys, they had a COMBINED total of two years head coaching experience before their current jobs.

Those are intelligent hires. They found the right guy, a guy that nobody had heard of, and that guy won more games than any big name hire they could have possibly made.

Longhorns just took a list of the top 10 coaches in college baseball and checked them off one at a time as they got rejected. That is not an intelligent or strategic approach.
trouble
AG
quote:
John Savage ucla
Pat Casey oregon st
Paul Mainieri lsu
Kevin O'sullivan florida
Jim Schlossnagle tcu
not sure about Tim Corbin vandy
Dan McDonnell louisville

They were all just looking for raises.
ClassOf17
quote:
Meh, I disagree.

It's not that they're trying and failing..

It's that every Longhorn fan claims to be the best job in the country and can't even get their 7th choice..

Same with Charlie and football.
94chem
Schloss would be my first choice.
TXAggie2011
AG
quote:
Well a coach that you don't hire obviously doesn't count as an intelligent hire.

I would consider the top four coaches in college baseball right now to be
Kevin O'Sullivan
Brian O'Connor
Tim Corbin
Jim Schlossnagle

Based on success over the past couple of years.

Of those four guys, they had a COMBINED total of two years head coaching experience before their current jobs.

Those are intelligent hires. They found the right guy, a guy that nobody had heard of, and that guy won more games than any big name hire they could have possibly made.

Longhorns just took a list of the top 10 coaches in college baseball and checked them off one at a time as they got rejected. That is not an intelligent or strategic approach.

So, hiring Schlossnagle was intelligent when TCU did it but now that he's taken TCU to the CWS 3 straight times...it wouldn't be intelligent for another school to hire him?

Now that Kevin O'Sullivan has taken Florida to 5 CWS in 7 seasons...it wouldn't be intelligent for another school to hire him?

Surely you don't think that. But that's almost what you seem to be claiming.

And the strategy is clear. Try to hire a proven coach who has won and taken teams to the CWS. And it's a strategy that has worked for a number of programs (The Longhorns includes when they hired Augie.)

No one said there aren't intelligent hires that haven't yet proven to be one of the best coaches in the game but I think you're trying too hard to denigrate the Longhorns here.

The strategy is clear. Hire a proven coach. It's a sound strategy.

And it's not unintelligent to want one of the best coaches in baseball.

If they don't get one, they'll get another kind of coach, and we can laugh at them for being turned down by so many coaches, but again, I think you're trying too hard here.

Let me put it this way: Are you upset that A&M hires John Chavis as defensive coordinator? That they hired Pat Henry to be the head track and field coach?
CSAg1970
AG
I'd go after the UC Santa Barbara coach or the Coastal Carolina coach. These two programs have been pretty competitive the last few years. Can get those coaches for a lot less and if the guy works out, then give him a big raise. Schlossnagle came from UNLV, not a baseball powerhouse, but he won some titles out there. He's been at TCU 12 years. Tadlock was successful at Grayson College. Was hired in 2012 and already has two trips to the CWS under his belt.
I think Tadlock has a no compete clause for B12 teams.

Sips are always going for the big splash/name when I agree should find someone whose been successful, is the right fit, and then be patient.
greg.w.h
AG
It's a great job. Why wouldn't a good coach want to go there? BDF doesn't detract from trips to the CWS and Texas has gone frequently enough to believe they can quickly return. All they need is a coach that can run a program. And overspending is relative in Austin...ask the Lege.
Joe Schillaci 48
AG
He already said no.
94chem
I'm just saying he would be #1 on my list.
Outlaw0206
AG
quote:
then be patient.
There lies the issue haha They have been bad for what they consider a while now, so they want results now! Ha
Macarthur
Yes, he's already said no. And word is that the extension TCU just gave him he's going to push his salary somewhere around 1.4 million
coupland boy
AG
I certainly don't like the horns but I'm not laughing at any program that has enjoyed more success in any one year than we have over 30+ years. We look stupid doing so.

I don't care about the longhorns. Let's get to ****ing Omaha and let's add to Jeff Granger's one game winning streak.
AggieBB
AG
We are 0-6 in Omaha since Granger won there. His winning streak ended the very next day.
MAROON
AG
If they're smart they will hire David Pierce from Tulane. He will be a slam dunk hire - great connection with Texas high school coaches, already turned two D1 programs around and has a national championship ring while at Rice....and he actually wants the job.
coupland boy
AG
quote:
We are 0-6 in Omaha since Granger won there. His winning streak ended the very next day.

It was a 1 game winning streak nonetheless.
W
AG
kind of the bottomline...when t.u. hired Augie back in 1997...he was already a national championship winning coach and considered one of the best in the game.

it appears unlikely that the horns are going to get a coach in 2016 that already has a national title on his resume. There are simply a whole lot more college coaching jobs that are as good or almost as good as the t.u. job (in the year 2016)
CSAg1970
AG
You're exactly right. Problem is they don't have the players to be good right away. Tech, TCU, and A&M have passed them up but of course they don't want to admit that.
Deerdude
Another possible consideration in sip sports is where will they be coaching in 5 years, 10 years. Will they be Big 12, Pac, B1G, Indy. Could all have tremendous implications on scheduling, recruiting, and such.
Outlaw0206
AG
So now U of H coach may be in the mix.. Will tu take the Cougars football & baseball coach
Buford T. Justice
AG
If I were them, I would try to hire RC.
Mark Fairchild
AG
Hoping they're not that smart.
Gig'em, Ole Army Class of '70
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.