Would Mainieri leave LSU for tu?

7,315 Views | 54 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by Yell Practice
MaroonMack
How long do you want to ignore this user?
quote:
Is the Bianco thought based on more than his alumni status?
He has a kid who just signed with LSU.
swimmerbabe11
It could be all hot air, but I read something where he had made a big fuss about not wanting to coach his kid.

As for Texas not being strategic, they weren't ever going to get Patterson. It isn't happening. From what I understand, Tadlock is alum and probably not going anywhere anytime soon.

Oh and Corbin is going to retire at Vandy. I would bet a lot of money on that.
TXAggie2011
AG
quote:

quote:
Texas is ambitious. I know it's fun to make fun of when they don't get guys they go after...but if you were a longhorn, wouldn't you prefer that rather than the alternative?
The problem is that they are not strategic. Most coaches are not leaving good, well-paying jobs to go to tu. That is just not how it works in modern college athletics. Most big time schools can pay their coaches well. They should have thought strategically and put all the effort into pulling away Schlossnagle or even Tadlock from their schools.That way they get a good coach and hurt an in-state rival. If that fails get the best up and coming HC.

The problem is they are too arrogant to realize it is okay to get a good coach from a rival or even one from a smaller school. It killed them with football. They should have put all their money into getting Patterson or Briles (okay maybe they dodged a bullet on him). Instead they whiffed on their first half-dozen or so choices and basically settled on Strong because he was the best one on paper who would take the job, even though he is a horrible fit.
Huh?

Were they too arrogant to hire a 37 year old basketball coach who had only been a head coach at Virginia Commonwealth? Obviously not.

By all accounts, they tried to get Schlossnagle, but he's at one of those good, big-time programs you're referring to, and especially since he was given a raise, also one of those well-paying programs you're talking about.

The only knock on TCU is their conference, and going to Austin doesn't get Schlossnagle out of the Big 12.

And I personally doubt if putting all of their eggs in that basket and ignoring all other coaches in America (except Tadlock) changes any of that. Even if he's the only coach they called, I'd bet Schlossnagle is still the TCU coach and the Longhorns are having to look elsewhere.

I'm not sure that would be strategic to put all their eggs in one basket, either.

As far as Charlie Strong, he certainly appears to be a bad fit (although a portion of that may be some wishful, biased Aggie thinking on our part), but he was an up-and-comer from a smaller school. Louisville was a Big East leftover with a fairly dubious football history. He had turned around a program that had had a disastrous time under the previous head coach.

Point being I'm not sure it was arrogance and their hiring procedures so much as they just misjudged him as a coach, the same way we misjudged Franchione as a coach.

Anyways, do you think any of the guys they've flirted with the past few weeks would be bad fits?
TXAggie2011
AG
Lets put it this way....

If Texas A&M happened to have an opening for head baseball coach, would you turn down any of the guys the Longhorns have tried to hire if they approached you and said they wanted the A&M job?

What about if you were a Longhorn and those coaches approached you?

I can't say I would turn any of them down at either school.
LSU Baseball Fan
Not all LSU fans like Mainieri, but I can't think of any fanbase that 100% loves it's coach. That being said he did a great job getting this year's team 2 games away from Omaha. Coastal Carolina was way more talented than us.

He way overachieved with one of the least talented teams we've had in the last 25 years. Almost the whole team will be back with a strong group of freshmen coming in.

I'd be stunned if any other program bought out any LSU baseball head coach. I honestly think LSU is the best job in the country for college baseball since the Skip Bertman days. No other school cares more or invests more into its baseball program. The fan support is the best, as well. Expectations are very high, but success is highly rewarded.

That being said, we've only won one game in Omaha since 2009. The fans will get restless if that is the case still after next season with the team we'll have.
Yell Practice
PM will listen to all the offers, but He is not leaving LSU on his own, IMO.
W
AG
looks like the horns are zeroing in on Pierce or Whiting --- both very underwhelming. But they may be the best t.u. can do
mdanyc03
AG
quote:
Lets put it this way....

If Texas A&M happened to have an opening for head baseball coach, would you turn down any of the guys the Longhorns have tried to hire if they approached you and said they wanted the A&M job?

So they talked to a bunch of coaches that they had no chance of getting and that is to be admired? Sounds stupid to me.
MAROON
AG
quote:
looks like the horns are zeroing in on Pierce or Whiting --- both very underwhelming. But they may be the best t.u. can do
your opinion which I think is wrong, at least for Pierce.

Pierce is a great hire. Whiting might be as well, but his resume is not as stellar as that of Pierce.
swimmerbabe11
Whiting or whitting?
W
AG
gotta look at it in comparison to the hiring of Augie in 1997. He came to Austin with 2 national titles on his resume and was automatically the best coach in the Big 12 upon his arrival.

Pierce has never won a regional. Whitting has coached in 1 super in 5 years. Pierce or Whitting would be the 4th best coach in the Big 12 behind Schloss, Tadlock, and Holliday.

this is a grand canyon-esque drop off from 1997...from the standpoint of attracting a proven coach.

it's stunning that t.u. might hire a coach that has never taken a team to the CWS --- no one expected that when the search began. How the mighty have fallen

W
AG
what would scare me about Whitting...TCU has done just fine without him.

at least with Pierce. it's pretty obvious that the Rice program has declined since he left. Similar to when Childress left Nebraska
Beechcraft AG 91
AG
quote:

at least with Pierce. it's pretty obvious that the Rice program has declined since he left. Similar to when Childress left Nebraska
VH leaving Nebraska is what caused the slide, not Childress

No shot, just stating a fact
MAROON
AG
quote:

on TCU - they did hire Saarloos who might just be the best assistant coach in the region if not the country - but I agree with the point. I know when Whitting left TCU everyone said he was the reason for their great recruiting...well it's kept going.

Not only Pierce but also Mike Taylor left Rice. That left Hallmark - not the easiest of guys to get along with (like his mentor) and you can see the result.
kekumbas
quote:
quote:
Lets put it this way....

So they talked to a bunch of coaches that they had no chance of getting and that is to be admired? Sounds stupid to me.
Good grief. So they're not supposed to try? I get it, the rivals getting a new coach and it's always fun to play the "lets see how far they have to dive to find their guy" game but anybody at any school can play that game against anybody that's looking for a new coach. I'm sure tu fans yucked it up and had a hell of a time when we brought in Kennedy to run our basketball program. Especially after buzz Williams name seemed to be on the lips of a lot of people around here. Same thing after we axed Sherman and ended up with sumlin. When we have to inevitably have to replace our coach, the people in charge of that decision would be doing us all a disservice if they didn't contact anybody and everybody who they feel could be successful here, whether they think they'd leave their current job or not. Why would we expect anything different from them?
Spyderman
AG
quote:

Spyderman
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:
Lets put it this way....

Good grief. So they're not supposed to try? I get it, the rivals getting a new coach and it's always fun to play the "lets see how far they have to dive to find their guy" game but anybody at any school can play that game against anybody that's looking for a new coach. I'm sure tu fans yucked it up and had a hell of a time when we brought in Kennedy to run our basketball program. Especially after buzz Williams name seemed to be on the lips of a lot of people around here. Same thing after we axed Sherman and ended up with sumlin. When we have to inevitably have to replace our coach, the people in charge of that decision would be doing us all a disservice if they didn't contact anybody and everybody who they feel could be successful here, whether they think they'd leave their current job or not. Why would we expect anything different from them?
Mark Fairchild
AG
If we were in the market for a coach, I would be loving a Sarloos hire. Very impressive young coach from an excellent coaching tree.
Gig'em, Ole Army Class of '70
matt.maggio3
AG
I have a really hard time seeing Manieri leaving LSU. Any sip dreams of this happening are akin to Saban leaving Bama.
4ZORRO
AG
No one would leave LSU to go to tu.
Yell Practice
PM is going nowhere. He is very happy at LSU. IMO.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.