Would Mainieri leave LSU for tu?

7,313 Views | 54 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by Yell Practice
Outlaw0206
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
From Kendall Rogers:
quote:
#Texas interest in #LSU's Paul Mainieri is very legitimate. #Horns brass has interviewed Mainieri in the past couple of days. Stay tuned.
Personally I think this is him sucking more $$ out of LSU (Don't blame him)
Rocco S
Not sure I believe that report. LSU is probably the top college baseball job there is. PM may have soured on LSU fans though, given how much heat he takes from them.
Short-Fingered Vulgarian
That might create an interesting domino effect. Who would LSU go after? Bianco at Ole Miss? The Tulane HC?
greg.w.h
AG
Why wouldn't he be interested? More pay and fake turf!!
03_Aggie
quote:
The Tulane HC?
It'll be interesting to see if Pierce ends up back at Rice as HC. I thought at one point he was HCIW there but they wanted him to get some head coaching experience. Don't recall if he left on bad terms with Rice/Graham or not.
Agsncws
AG
Maybe. I also think there are plenty of folks at LSU who would let him go. Bianca would be a quick replacement for LSU. Ole Miss would consider a number of sources.
ensign_beedrill
AG
quote:
Not sure I believe that report. LSU is probably the top college baseball job there is. PM may have soured on LSU fans though, given how much heat he takes from them.
Think he'd get less heat from t-sips?
swimmerbabe11
Is the Bianco thought based on more than his alumni status?
D_Wag97
AG
Are they on their 4th or 5th choice now? Hard to keep up...
Yell Practice
It is possible.
AgsWin979
AG
tu is going for a dramatic switch from the typical, loud Garrido to the quiet, feminine Mainieri

I don't think I could play for Paully, he lights exactly 0 fire under me.
TXAggie2011
AG
I think he may be looking for a raise from LSU.

But you never know when successful coaches want a new challenge, and taking the Texas job would be a challenge while still getting handsomely paid.
Yell Practice
tu would probably be a pressure chamber also.
MAROON
AG
It's either savage, Pierce or the Vandy coach for Tecas. I'm hearing the announcement could be as early as today or tomorrow. We'll see
BQ_90
AG
quote:
It's either savage, Pierce or the Vandy coach for Tecas. I'm hearing the announcement could be as early as today or tomorrow. We'll see
it'll be right before the CWS starts if they can to get the attention.
Buford T. Justice
AG
quote:
tu is going for a dramatic switch from the typical, loud Garrido to the quiet, feminine Mainieri

I don't think I could play for Paully, he lights exactly 0 fire under me.

That's his "I know that I'm on tv persona." I've seen him get pretty fired up on several occasions, when he didn't know that he was on camera.

He seems very Franish to me.
Yell Practice
Paul is currently making over 1M at LSU. That is the highest paid SEC baseball coach. tu could easily handle that. Would they ???
BillE1976
AG
SEC Country is reporting PM staying at LSU after getting a big raise. I am sure all of the coaches across America love it when tu fires a coach. Just start a rumor they are interested in you and you get more money.
swimmerbabe11
Texas is ambitious. I know it's fun to make fun of when they don't get guys they go after...but if you were a longhorn, wouldn't you prefer that rather than the alternative?
Beechcraft AG 91
AG
lsu alums I know do not like his style

I think it is possible he could leave for tu. tu could do better so I'm good with it
Mark Fairchild
AG
I am putting my money on David Pierce, Tulane.
Gig'em, Ole Army Class of '70
BQ_90
AG
That's who I had figured from day one
swimmerbabe11
Kendall is saying either Pat Casey or John Savage.

Talent wise, I say Casey... but cmon. Longhorns can't pass up the marketing opportunity that is Savage.
Rocco S
Strong, Smart, and Savage?
swimmerbabe11
quote:
Strong, Smart, and Savage?

Exactly. So many hashtags. Any marketing team would be drooling.
MAROON
AG
quote:
I am putting my money on David Pierce, Tulane.
he wants the job for sure.

As of yesterday morning the list was Savage, Corbin, and Pierce.
Corbin is a long shot. Casey is not in the running at all per my source.

We will see.
Mark Fairchild
AG
Don't see Corbin leaving Vandy. It's too much his culture, and he is very invested. Savage maybe. Just know Pierce wants the job badly. I hate it, because I believe he'll do a great job there.
Gig'em, Ole Army Class of '70
MAROON
AG
quote:
Don't see Corbin leaving Vandy. It's too much his culture, and he is very invested. Savage maybe. Just know Pierce wants the job badly. I hate it, because I believe he'll do a great job there.
I agree with all that. I was surprised yesterday to hear that Corbin was still in the running.

I think its between Savage and Pierce. Savage has the first opportunity to say yes and Pierce is the fall back.
Fightin Ag491
quote:
SEC Country is reporting PM staying at LSU after getting a big raise. I am sure all of the coaches across America love it when tu fires a coach. Just start a rumor they are interested in you and you get more money.
No kidding... I've honestly lost track of how many coaches have signed extensions after it was reported that Texas was courting them.

Gotta say, Texas officials weren't lying when they said they were going after the who's who of college baseball, but I don't blame any of those coaches for taking a big raise to stay instead of packing up and leaving to rebuild with tons of pressure from the word go
Yell Practice
Don't think that PM would leave LSU. Everything is too good for him there, IMO.
TexAgs1992
Rick Barnes has withdrawn his name from consideration.
QuitTrippin
I would bet even money he leaves for Texas.
We can't be the only one to steal LSU coaches....

MikeM1960
Hellodarlin, I will take that bet right now
Tex100
AG
quote:
Worked for many last time we were hiring.
Short-Fingered Vulgarian

quote:
Texas is ambitious. I know it's fun to make fun of when they don't get guys they go after...but if you were a longhorn, wouldn't you prefer that rather than the alternative?

The problem is that they are not strategic. Most coaches are not leaving good, well-paying jobs to go to tu. That is just not how it works in modern college athletics. Most big time schools can pay their coaches well. They should have thought strategically and put all the effort into pulling away Schlossnagle or even Tadlock from their schools.That way they get a good coach and hurt an in-state rival. If that fails get the best up and coming HC.

The problem is they are too arrogant to realize it is okay to get a good coach from a rival or even one from a smaller school. It killed them with football. They should have put all their money into getting Patterson or Briles (okay maybe they dodged a bullet on him). Instead they whiffed on their first half-dozen or so choices and basically settled on Strong because he was the best one on paper who would take the job, even though he is a horrible fit.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.