Memo to students: This is NOT a home game

8,001 Views | 51 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by Bondag
LOYAL AG
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Ever year we host a regional students and former students find themselves looking around wondering why the War Hymn isn't playing when it is supposed to. This isn't a home weekend, technically Olsen is a neutral site this weekend. Silly but that's not the point. The students need to start the War Hymn or it won't happen.

About 10 minutes before the game starts

Before the last half inning of the game. So if the visiting team is losing then it's before the top of the 9th. If the home team is losing or it's a tie then before the bottom 9th.

See y'all in a few hours!

Beat the HELL outta the Demon Bear Gophers!
Wyoming Aggie
AG
I HATE this about the NCAA. Drives me nuts. You earn the right to home field so you should have a true home field advantage. Not only that, but you should be the home team every game no matter what.
spanky
AG
Or maybe we should do what TCU does when they host and just say screw the NCAA and play the war hymn, walk up music, etc anyway
BQ_90
AG
quote:
Or maybe we should do what TCU does when they host and just say screw the NCAA and play the war hymn, walk up music, etc anyway
Exactly.
oldvalleyrat
AG
quote:
I HATE this about the NCAA. Drives me nuts. You earn the right to home field so you should have a true home field advantage. Not only that, but you should be the home team every game no matter what.
No problem.... We are gonna no hit, run rule three straight games. We are the Aggies....!
COSCAggie03
AG
Dont forget...GA is berms and SRO no section on 2nd deck...
Captain Pablo
AG
Last year a guy started leading yells

Cal game
Yell Practice
Make the War Hymn happen Aggies !!
ftworthag02
AG
I was about to post this.

Think it was last year against prairie view that we didn't sing the war hymn prior to first pitch. Disappointing
Mr.Ackar07
quote:

Cal game

By guy you mean kid, the crowd eventually got him to stop.
ftworthag02
AG
No yells @ baseball games
Mathguy64
AG
quote:

And logos on the field. We need lots of logos.

Typical BDF team. Rules never apply to them. I'm sure their AD being on the committee got them permission.
ProudAg16
AG
I have a buddy that plays at TCU and he said no walk ups, videos, etc. are allowed in the regionals, but it goes back to normal for the supers. That would explain last year at Lupton.
LOYAL AG
AG
quote:
I have a buddy that plays at TCU and he said no walk ups, videos, etc. are allowed in the regionals, but it goes back to normal for the supers. That would explain last year at Lupton.
That could be. We haven't hosted a super since 1999 so frustratingly enough we wouldn't know. Guess we'll find out next weekend!
Captain Pablo
AG
quote:
quote:

Cal game

By guy you mean kid, the crowd eventually got him to stop.

No. It was a grown man in his 40's or 50's... was about 10 feet in front of where I was sitting

And the crowd did not ask him to stop

I believe he was identified on here as a former yell leader
Captain Pablo
AG
quote:

I get that, but there were yells at that baseball game... many didn't participate, but some did

And nobody was rude to him, thank God
LOYAL AG
LOYAL AG
AG
This probably couldn't have gone much better. Good job, Ags! Love the War Hymn acapella!
jkag89
quote:

As a general rule but Beat the hell outta . . . is permissible.
TxAgg07
AG
um, no. No yells are acceptable. Kyle Field is across the street.
trouble
AG
Um, jkag has a lot more Olsen cred than you do.
ProudAg16
AG
quote:

Welp, my buddy was wrong. Jason Cook says no music and video will be played in the supers. we do fine without it outside of clapping
TXAggie2011
AG
The most correct answer is we can still play the War Hymn, but it must come during our infield practice or during pregame preparation of the field.

(Page 20 of the NCAA Tournament Manual)

The NCAA has a fear of games getting slowed down by ceremony and pomp and circumstance. Hosts are provided with a very strict pregame schedule. They really just want teams to get on the field and play the darn game. They don't allow ceremonial first pitches, either, for example. While they do player introductions, they cut them out for most games. Etc.
The Collective
AG
quote:
Welp, my buddy was wrong. Jason Cook says no music and video will be played in the supers. we do fine without it outside of clapping

What did they do last year in FW?
LOYAL AG
AG
quote:
quote:

The rule on the War Hymn is that it can be played as long as it's when the team is on the field during pre-game warm ups. That's what we did this weekend and I'm assuming it's what we'll do for supers. I know TCU bent the rules a lot more last year but that doesn't make it right.
TxAgg07
AG
That's fine but yells don't belong at Olsen.
TxAgg07
AG
TCU had their little cheerleader girls and their big Frog fog horn deal that they blew whenever they scored.
trouble
AG
Nothing wrong with a beat the hell.

AcoldStArnolds79
AG
Even the Rifleman was going on without the song and video. We Ags will it even when they tell us not to.
This was a fun three games to be at.
ProudAg16
AG
quote:
TCU had their little cheerleader girls and their big Frog fog horn deal that they blew whenever they scored.
the "ShowGirls"

Yes, that is literally their title. Absolute smoke shows, all of them.
TXAggie2011
AG
quote:
Cheerleaders are allowed. You can also have a band.

I'm not sure the "Frog Horn" was supposed to be there.

The Collective
AG
Heard the Frog horn thing blasting during the regional yesterday. I bet a "third party" was firing it off in the parking lot. "No big deal", guys.
CapCityAg89
AG
quote:
The most correct answer is we can still play the War Hymn, but it must come during our infield practice or during pregame preparation of the field.

(Page 20 of the NCAA Tournament Manual)

The NCAA has a fear of games getting slowed down by ceremony and pomp and circumstance. Hosts are provided with a very strict pregame schedule. They really just want teams to get on the field and play the darn game. They don't allow ceremonial first pitches, either, for example. While they do player introductions, they cut them out for most games. Etc.

God forbid this be a fun, special event for the kids who work hard to get here.
jason_cook
S
quote:
quote:

I don't think I said "no music and video will be played." We just cannot play the players' walk-up music or show any hint of partiality.
LOYAL AG
AG
quote:
Actually your buddy is wrong. Nothing changes for a super in terms of music, videos, etc. It's an NCAA event and is thus "impartial", just like regionals.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.