Should Moss, Melton and Choruby go to the bottom of the order?

3,387 Views | 24 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by mdanyc03
txagssweetie2014
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Saw where Melton is batting .100 for the month of May. Seems like Maroney, Homan and Banks are batting better.
jkag89
I personally like Maroney and Homan in the bottom third of the order maybe sandwich Melton between them. Moss definitely does not need to be moved down, he has been stroking the ball but not getting anything to fall.
Rusty GCS
AG
I wouldn't mind seeing Banks moved back up
mdanyc03
AG
I think Davis or Pennington should get another shot. Seems like choruby hasn't had a hit for a while.
jkag89
What have you seen in Davis and Pennington's previous shots at breaking into the lineup that makes you believe they will produce with more consistency than Choruby? Is it the potential pop in their bats?
MACnolaAg
AG
How much does defense suffer if Choruby were replaced? He came on initially because of defense but has had good streaks offensively earlier this season. But his bat has since cooled. So do we take a big step back defensively if we take the chance to put in another bat that can get hot? We have others (Moss, I'm thinking) who can handle CF.
Aggieangler93
AG
I think anyone else but Choruby in center, is a liability, defensively. Some of the catches he made in center last year in the post-season were incredible. I say leave him in, and let him get on a hot streak again. If the top of our order was hitting like they should be, we wouldn't even be worried about Choruby.
mdanyc03
AG
quote:
What have you seen in Davis and Pennington's previous shots at breaking into the lineup that makes you believe they will produce with more consistency than Choruby? Is it the potential pop in their bats?
His slugging percentage is .347 and that is not cutting in. Obviously he plays good defense, steals bases and all of that good stuff. A month ago he was hitting well and getting on base and was making a real positive contribution. His slump has been pretty bad and it feels like he is just about an automatic out these days.

Pennington, Davis and Gideon all have a slugging percentage that is 150 to 200 points higher. Honestly, I don't think there is a whole lot of different between those three and Moroney. All can hit well, but can be streaky or struggle against top notch pitching. So to me, you just ride the hot hand. That is what we are doing with Moroney right now. I think it is worth seeing if one of those guys can get hot. Just give one of them a game, see if he gets a couple of extra base hits. If not, you can go back to Choruby or give somebody else a shot.

Let's not act like Davis was bad this year. His slugging percentage is still higher than Nick Banks. He has over 100 at bats so it isn't a small sample size. He just went into a slump so we pulled him. Now Choruby is in a slump.
mdanyc03
AG
quote:
How much does defense suffer if Choruby were replaced? He came on initially because of defense but has had good streaks offensively earlier this season. But his bat has since cooled. So do we take a big step back defensively if we take the chance to put in another bat that can get hot? We have others (Moss, I'm thinking) who can handle CF.
I think it would be a step back but not a huge step back. Moss in center with Banks in right and one of the other guys in left is still a solid defensive outfield. Worth having another bat in the line up in my opinion.
jkag89
Choruby has certainly has had a poor showing so far in the SEC Tournament, but nothing in my brain was registering that he was having a particularly bad month of May so I did a quick perusal of the box scores and on a game by game basis don't think his numbers are all that bad. Nothing spectacular but seems to contribute to the offense in some manner almost every game. It certainly just a matter of opinion and I certainly understand wanting more pop in the lineup especially from an outfielder, but I don't think Choruby's numbers warrant sitting him.
TMartin
Banks is still not Banks but driving in some runs from time to time. Middle defense is solid so don't change that. Melton on the other hand might benefit from a move further down the lineup. Other than that RC is playing enough games with the pitching staff so that's it heading into post season.
Ferris Wheel Allstar
AG
quote:
I wouldn't mind seeing Banks moved back up

I'd flip moss and banks
tjack16
AG
I would keep choruby in the lineup but move him to 9th and just let him hit instead of trying to bunt every at bat
Yell Practice
No, just move Melton to the 8th spot for a couple of games or three.
mdanyc03
AG
Lineup
greg.w.h
AG
spanky
AG
quote:
Pennington, Davis and Gideon all have a slugging percentage that is 150 to 200 points higher. Honestly, I don't think there is a whole lot of different between those three and Moroney.
Are we assuming the pitcher doesn't have any breaking pitches if you see no difference with Gideon?
mdanyc03
AG
Comparable in productivity. I didn't say they were all clones.
jkag89
Good call on your part. Still somewhat surprised. Lots of potential pop in the bottom of the line-up.
Ginsang
AG
quote:

Interesting to me that Homan isn't given the extra AB by putting him at lead off. I feel like he's earned that.
TxAgIB
AG
I like that Childress is tweaking the lineup to find the right combination.

This lineup could really produce if they'll be disciplined.
MACnolaAg
AG
quote:
Good call on your part. Still somewhat surprised. Lots of potential pop in the bottom of the line-up.
Agreed on all points. Glad to see Davis with a shot -- he really produced for about a month there and may find his stride.

But I'm also really curious about what's scribbled on the backside of that lineup card. It'd be interesting if it revealed some of the staff's thoughts.
suburban cowboy
AG
RC reads TexAgs
ordRV80
AG
I like it!!

BTHOvandy!!
Soldier, Statesman, Knightly Gentleman
Lance Uppercut
AG
Choruby is 1 for his last 15, has 2 extra base hits since April, and has started grounding into double plays because he hits so many balls on the ground.

He has made a huge improvement at the plate, but the 'upside' is that he'll hit a single. I'd guess the coaches don't see us stringing together a lot of hits against a pitcher like Wright. One philosophy with the guys we have on the team is the slugging/instant offense strategy with the trade-off of the loss of some speed in Center and on the bases. That's the lineup for today's game.
mdanyc03
AG
To your point, wright hadn't given up more than five hits in about six weeks at least.

Five last week to auburn. Complete game three hitter against uf the week before. 7 shut out innings with three hits against us the week before. And so on.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.