Is the conf tourney the least interesting baseball event of the season?

4,059 Views | 59 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by whoop_99
Captain Pablo
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Maybe it's just me....
BQ_90
AG
nobody is really playing for anything, so I would agree. I mean I guess Vandy and LSU are trying to host
Bunk Moreland
quote:
nobody is really playing for anything, so I would agree. I mean I guess Vandy and LSU are trying to host

Do you mean trying for a national seed? Both are hosting
Sean98
AG
Yes.
Schrute
The only "value" (make it interesting) in the tournament is if you have the potential to improve your seeding (or host potential) in the NCAA tournament. Teams like Vandy and LSU can maybe get a NS if they win the thing. Teams like Bama can potentially improve their seeding.

For teams that seem to be a lock for a NS, there really is no value. Unless you use the tournament to evaluate some pitchers, lineups, or maybe be get some hitters out of funks.

However, you do have the potential to "hurt" yourself if you go balls out to win and exhaust your pitching staff. There's something to be said about getting a full week rest for everyone before the Regional starts.
Tex100
AG
Yes. My son and I were talking this morning that it is hard to get excited about it. I'm sure the players are affected as well.
MB19
AG
I'd rather play one extra conference series than bother with the conference tournament. They really are redundant.
_mpaul
AG
Yes. It's stupid. I've always disagreed with Aggies who flaunt our Big 12 tournament championships as an accomplishment. On the other side, I'm not going to get worked up about losses. We are built to win a 3-game series, not some convoluted single elimination, then double elimination, then back to single elimination nonsense.
BQ_90
AG
yes
merc
AG
If Vandy and LSU aren't national seeds R.I.P. the seed that gets matched up with their regional.
mdanyc03
AG
I think it is a cool event.
txagssweetie2014
You play to win. If trophies aren't important to you then quit playing. Winners win and losers make excuses. There is no switch on the backs of players that can be turned on and off. Let's BTHOCocks
txagssweetie2014
Also 7 of the top 9 teams in the country are playing each other. This is the quality we see in the CWS. if you don't like watching these games then you're not a fan. I will be watching every game again today and the rest of the tournament. BTHOCocks!
Ragoo
AG
LSU and florida played a 3 games series last week, then turn around and play each other in the tournament because of seeding. We played Vandy and south carolina in the last month and turn around and play them again. BORING. I would much rather spend the time playing Kentucky or Tennessee whom we did not play.

We beat Vandy and Carolina 2-1 each in those series, we lost to vandy to even up the season and if we lose today to carolina we even there. Does that invalidate the fact that we beat them in the regular season when it really mattered?
TempleAg97
AG
Probably so, but the one and only thing I liked better about the Big 12 than the SEC was the conference baseball tournament in Bricktown. That was a fun few days in a great park, with lots of fun on the river, not too far away from Central Texas where I live. Glad we could party one more time at the NCAA basketball tourney this year!
Canyon99
Hard for me as a fan to get interested after the excitement that was the home stretch of the conference schedule fighting for a regular season championship.
jkag89
No. I enjoy them.
nereus
AG
quote:
We beat Vandy and Carolina 2-1 each in those series, we lost to vandy to even up the season and if we lose today to carolina we even there. Does that invalidate the fact that we beat them in the regular season when it really mattered?

I'm not sure I buy the conference tournament doesn't matter. The regular season is 53 games and the conference tournament is at most 5-6 games and maybe only 1-2. The games are just as important, it is just there a so few of them they don't override regular season.
Sean98
AG
quote:
The only "value" (make it interesting) in the tournament is if you have the potential to improve your seeding (or host potential) in the NCAA tournament. Teams like Vandy and LSU can maybe get a NS if they win the thing. Teams like Bama can potentially improve their seeding.

This is exactly my point. If you haven't "proven" what you are in 56 games, should another 3 or 4 games in a goofy format change the national perception of you? You win or lose and take your fate in 56 games. Period. For what it's worth I feel the same for basketball, football, etc.

quote:
You play to win. If trophies aren't important to you then quit playing. Winners win and losers make excuses. There is no switch on the backs of players that can be turned on and off. Let's BTHOCocks

Unfortunately I also agree with this. If you play, you play to win. Which is why I have always advocated for the completely irrational, impractical, tactic of forfeiting and not even showing up. I know no team would ever do it, you'd likely get fined or booted out of the conference, etc. if you did. But this is just how much I detest post-season conference tournaments. They do nothing to reward the teams that have earned their fate and everything to reward the teams that don't deserve a reward. And I think that particularly for the smaller conferences where they truly don't have deep pitching staffs. You can have a runaway conference winner, and then a scrub team gets hot for 3 days and *voila* the runaway winner is left at home during the playoffs.
95_Aggie
AG
Same with conference basketball tournaments
Mark Fairchild
AG
I have to say that the LSU vs Florida game was one of the best college games I have seen in a very long time. Got to see a "never say die" attitude with 5 infielders for bases loaded for LSU, and some of the best pitching coming from Florida. Now, do I wish that it was us doing it, he** yeah, but I am a purist at heart, and it doesn't get much better than that game.
Gig'em, Ole Army Class of '70
TXAggie2011
AG
quote:
We are built to win a 3-game series, not some convoluted single elimination, then double elimination, then back to single elimination nonsense.

We're not built to win to win tournaments?!

I know the formats can be weird, but I've always thought it a good test run for the NCAA Tournament.

A non-3 game series tournament format exactly what we're going to see in the regional and hopefully at the College World Series.
Frisco - Ag
AG
yes
TXAggie2011
AG
quote:
quote:

This is exactly my point. If you haven't "proven" what you are in 56 games, should another 3 or 4 games in a goofy format change the national perception of you? You win or lose and take your fate in 56 games. Period. For what it's worth I feel the same for basketball, football, etc.

The tournament games should absolutely matter.

Go win some good games and they absolutely should effect a perception. They've shown you can, in a tournament, post-season format, go beat good or great teams.

Plus, I'd argue 3-4 games isn't an inconsequential amount of games. It's another week in what is only a 14 or so week season.

It's the biggest collection of great teams we've seen all season in a format that most closely resembles the NCAA Tournamwnt format we'll be seeing.

It should absolutely matter and affect pereceptions of teams.
threeanout
AG
Maybe two SEC teams who had something to play for in the tourney were Bama and Kentucky. D1 had Kentucky as a # 3 seed and the eighth SEC team to make tourney. With Bama beating Kentucky, and they basically have identical records, does Bama get an invite? I think they do if they somehow beat Florida today.
TXAggie2011
AG
quote:
Unfortunately I also agree with this. If you play, you play to win. Which is why I have always advocated for the completely irrational, impractical, tactic of forfeiting and not even showing up. I know no team would ever do it, you'd likely get fined or booted out of the conference, etc. if you did. But this is just how much I detest post-season conference tournaments. They do nothing to reward the teams that have earned their fate and everything to reward the teams that don't deserve a reward. And I think that particularly for the smaller conferences where they truly don't have deep pitching staffs. You can have a runaway conference winner, and then a scrub team gets hot for 3 days and *voila* the runaway winner is left at home during the playoffs.

This just sounds like sour grapes.

I'm almost positive, across all sports, that a conference tournament has helped teams beyond just those who won said Tournament. I can go through the annals another time but I don't doubt these results can matter.

Again, they're more games that go into your resume in a format the NCAA needs to know you can perform in.

How often does a runaway conference winner get left at home? Even in smaller conferences many of hose teams make the post-season.
jkag89
Why does everything have to be of the utmost importance? Why can't something exist because the competition between league rivals is simply fun to watch?

As I stated in another thread, as long as the NCAA sanctions these tournaments, multibid conferences like the SEC should play them if simply for the additional quality competition above the 56 regular season games allowed. If the NCAA allowed an additional four games over the 56 to conferences that forgo the tournaments then maybe the SEC should drop the tournament, otherwise play the games.
Mark Fairchild
AG
I agree.
Gig'em, Ole Army Class of '70
ColoradoMooseHerd
quote:
Why does everything have to be of the utmost importance? Why can't something exist because the competition between league rivals is simply fun to watch?

As I stated in another thread, as long as the NCAA sanctions these tournaments, multibid conferences like the SEC should play them if simply for the additional quality competition above the 56 regular season games allowed. If the NCAA allowed an additional four games over the 56 to conferences that forgo the tournaments then maybe the SEC should drop the tournament, otherwise play the games.
The tourny games should help almost everyone's RPI win or lose because they are Neutral site games and the quality of opponents in the SEC, correct?
Aggieangler93
AG
I went to bed before this one was over. I will have to go back now and watch it.
Frok
AG
I enjoyed it today, not so much yesterday.
jkag89
Excellent point Moose.
Fuzzy Dunlop
AG
I love the conference tournament just due to the quality of baseball being played. The SEC tournament is very competitive and puts many of the best teams in the country against each other.

Barring a meltdown or poor match up in the Regionals or Super Regionals, 5 to 6 of the teams in the SEC tourney stand an excellent shot of going to Omaha. One could even say, at least this year, the level of competition in the SEC tourney is better than what will show up in Omaha.

Just my $.02.
SA-AG72
AG
Conf. Tourney benefits the teams on the bubble. My $0.02.
jkag89
quote:
If Vandy and LSU aren't national seeds R.I.P. the seed that gets matched up with their regional.
Yep, certainly happy it can't be the Aggies.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.