Melton

5,721 Views | 46 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by jkag89
wreckncrew
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I think it's time to move him down. He clearly isnt seeing the ball well. Should RC switch him and Banks?
Yell Practice
It probably time to make a change.
Bunk Moreland
1) Homan ss
2) Birk 2b
3) White 3b
4) Moss lf
5) Barash c
6) Banks rf
7) Moroney DH
8) Melton 1b
9) Choruby cf
wreckncrew
AG
I like that lineup, Bunk but I think I would flip Banks and Moss.
BQ_90
AG
I like it, I like it a lot
fieldtrailer
AG
Teams have discovered he swings at the sinking curve ball. Hope he can adjust.
Amazing Moves
He's 5-50 in the last 12 games. 2 walks in that time. .100 avg. 1 HR.

He has to be moved far down the lineup. Maybe even the 9 hole.
ordRV80
AG
Moving Banks and Moss helped both of them. Childress has moved Birk around to get him going.

Why would he not do the same with Melton? His inability to even put a ball in play has gone beyond inconvenient.

It is seriously hurting this team.
Soldier, Statesman, Knightly Gentleman
zagman
AG
Just switch Banks and Melton.
Full Speed Ahead - Fire At Will - Gig'em

"I have never enjoyed any position more than being president of Texas A&M University." Robert Gates 11/08/06
mdanyc03
AG
He leads the league in RBI's, he has earned the right to work through a slump.

Also, the back end of the line up is basically as good as the front end. Banks gets to hit with as many men on base as Hunter really so I don't think it makes a huge difference.

I think we just leave the line up alone.
Goose06
AG
I think moving everyone up a spot and dropping Melton to the 7 or 8 hole might be the answer. Something like this:

Choruby
Moss
Boomer
Birk
Barash
Banks
Melton
Moroney
Homan

Alternatively, if you want to role with a completely new lineup, I do think going Homan/Birk/Boomer/Banks/Moss at the top is an interesting lineup to consider given who is hot right now and who is not.
JRB78
AG
I like that option. I would have him at 8. Banks and Moroney would likely often be on base in front of him, so he would still get rbi opportunities.
Bunk Moreland
quote:

Also, the back end of the line up is basically as good as the front end. Banks gets to hit with as many men on base as Hunter really so I don't think it makes a huge difference.

I think we just leave the line up alone.

In his 31 conference games, he has hit .281 with 33 RBI, 37 strikeouts, 10 walks and 37 LOB in 128 at bats.

In the last 17 games of conference, he is hitting .185 with 13 RBI, 23 k's, and 27 LOB.

His SEC stats are incredibly front-loaded. That's why a month ago many were saying if he kept it up, he might garner national player of the year consideration. However, he did not keep it up, and actually fell off a cliff.

Also, the back end of the lineup is not "basically as good as the front end" in any way, shape, or form. Moss, Boomer, and Birk being at the front end prove that wrong immediately. Having Hunter in between them struggling mightily is not good.

No one is saying remove him from the lineup. He can work through a slump lower in the order.

mdanyc03
AG
Banks has Ryno and Barash in front of him that are getting on base as much as Choruby, Moss and Boomer.

I think the best way to get him going is to make sure he knows that everybody on the staff and team has confidence in him. I think he will get it going here in the next week and I want him in the middle of the line up.

But, I understand your position and it is reasonable.
mdanyc03
AG
nm
alamoaggie64
AG
do we have someone to replace him?
histag10
AG
quote:
do we have someone to replace him?

Why would we replace him?
ColoradoMooseHerd
No need to replace. I think if you just switched Birk and Melton it might do the job. Also would get the righty- lefty-righty thing going
Bunk Moreland
quote:
No need to replace. I think if you just switched Birk and Melton it might do the job. Also would get the righty- lefty-righty thing going

I wouldn't mind that at all. Either way he needs out of the 4 hole until he can prove reliable at the plate again.
Amazing Moves
He's too talented to sit. Melton has earned a spot as a starter. Sliding him down the lineup would help him as it has others. Plus he's a great 1st baseman. The team needs him there.
94chem
White should be in 2 hole. Shame how many coaches don't put their best pure hitter in the 2 hole, and end up with him on deck when the game ends.
mgreen
He swings for the fences on every at bat. Throw him anything but a fast ball and he is way out in front. Hard to watch.
Ginsang
AG
Homan
White
Moss
Birk
Banks
Barash
Melton
Moroney
Choruby

Maybe switch Melton and Moroney just to start with, and see how everything works out.

It hurts seeing Melton struggle... I was at the point where I had basically gotten used to him producing w/ RISP. On the positive side I've been pretty happy with how the rest of the lineup is clicking for the most part. I really feel like Banks is back, and that's huge!
aggiebrad94
AG
quote:

Yes, and that ended about 12 games ago.
Yell Practice
Just meet the ball. Don't try to kill it every time.

Geed Luck today.
AggieEE2002
AG
Batting fifth today.
AggieKatie2
AG
When is the last time Melton had a hit? Not so far today, not yesterday, don't think he had one in the regular season finale
aggieclay
He needs to be hit for! Pinch hit him for a few cycles and see how he responds.
Aggieangler93
AG
I think you leave Melton in, and move him to 7 or 8 hole. He can work out of his slump there, but you don't want him getting more at bats than Homan or Banks or Moroney, per game right now. It just doesn't make sense. So move him way down, and still benefit from his stellar defense at 1.
Amazing Moves
Yep. After today, he needs to be in the 9 hole.
B-1 83
AG
Only on TexAgs will folks try to out coach the coach of the #1 college team in the nation.
jkag89
It is amazing to me how quickly we seem to turn on our stars and all but ignore poor performances by role players because they have shown flashes but not consistency. I certainly think Melton should be moved down in the lineup due to his struggles in May but calls to sit him are simply inane. He was probably our hottest hitter in April and for that potential alone he needs to be in the lineup. The fact that he has not taken his plate woes into the field makes me appreciate him all the more. His play around first has saved more than a few runs during his slump. The only possible replacement is Ronnie Gideon, certainly shown flashes but not consistency at the plate and I'm sure we all remember his woes in the field last season.
Amazing Moves
Who is turning on him? We are merely discussing possibilities that may help him and the
Iineup overall. It's a discussion board. Right?

I completely believe he will figure it out. If he doesn't... Tip of the cap on a great career.

B-1

The posters generally don't think they know better than the coach. As fans they deserve a right to their opinion. Right or, wrong. That rebuttal is tired and overused. Also, unnecessary in this discussion.

It's not like these posters are trying to contact Childress with their dismay over a likely top 4 national seeded team. Were simply discussing a great player who is in the slump at the plate. The majority of us are being respectful while doing so.

AB2
AG
The best thing for Hunter - IMO - is to keep hitting in the heart of the order and find his confidence when he finally plays bad pitching again.
jkag89
There was a thread basically blaming him for the Saturday loss to Ole Miss and hence causing the Aggies the regular season title. Calls for him to sit. Etc.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.