Out or safe at first?

3,036 Views | 23 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by CAR96
Vepp
How long do you want to ignore this user?
bdgol07
AG
safe
Aggie09Derek
AG
Find a good video of out of safe at 2nd
Vepp
Working on it
powerbelly
AG
quote:
safe
This
MallalieuAg
AG
Tie
DCAggie13y
AG
Tie goes to runner. Good call.
Aggie09Derek
AG
quote:

No such thing.

(But good call none the less).
75AG
AG
Birk may have the weakest arm of any 2nd baseman in the SEC.
mdanyc03
AG
quote:

He just won first team all defense....
75AG
AG
quote:
quote:

I know, and I just don't get it. Watched him all year... He has limited range and a weak arm. Oh well, still proud of him!
Lance Uppercut
AG
His range is much better and that wasn't a bad throw. He won it because he only made 2 errors this season. That's not very hard to "get".
75AG
AG
quote:
His range is much better and that wasn't a bad throw. He won it because he only made 2 errors this season. That's not very hard to "get".
I won't argue with you, Lance. You know baseball better than I.
Lance Uppercut
AG
All I know is arguing with strangers on the internet. Just thought I'd throw that in...looks like he worked hard to make those improvements to the defensive side of his game.
deh40
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:

I know, and I just don't get it. Watched him all year... He has limited range and a weak arm. Oh well, still proud of him!
If his range was so bad he would not have backhanded the ball to make the throw in the first place. He does not have the greatest arm, but his range and defense in general this year has been stellar. Even his double play turn is significantly improved.
DCAggie13y
AG
Although technically it's not a rule, in practice you almost always see an umpire err on the side of the runner if it looks like a tie.
Aggie09Derek
AG
quote:
Although technically it's not a rule, in practice you almost always see an umpire err on the side of the runner if it looks like a tie.

Because that's what you've been told. I bet it's closer to 50/50 on ones that look like a tie.
springaggie2014
I think it's a tie, which should go to the runner. However that has not been the rule enforced with some of the umps we've had from the SEC this year.
DCAggie13y
AG
Well I played baseball for 20+ years including 2 years in college and it's what I experienced not what I was told. Admittedly I haven't played in 10 years so maybe the game has changed.
AginZZ
AG
Actually think Homan could have been a split second quicker with his dish to second.
aggiefreak5080
S
He could have called it either way and it would be hard to argue he's wrong.
Bondag
AG
In the game yesterday Homan flipped the ball to Birk for the 3rd out of the inning. He could have just run into the dugout, but he stood on the base and looked for the out call before he got off the bag. At least they addressed the issue that we can't count on umps making the correct call so don't come off bag even when obvious.
txag72
AG
The fact that it was even that close on a ball hit only fairly sharply to a fast left handed hitter says Birks did as well as he could have.
txcodeman777
quote:
quote:

No such thing.

(But good call none the less).
Exactly, no such thing as a tie. He is either out or safe. Tough call, just has to sell it hard.
CAR96
AG
The rule states that the batter runner must beat the throw/catch to the bag.

The unwritten rule of "the tie goes to the runner is safe" is not the rule it's a myth.

If the umpire sees a tie, the runner should be called out by rule because that runner didn't beat the throw/catch at the bag.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.