Vinson to Start Wednesday

3,607 Views | 44 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by PJYoung
PoliSciAg16
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Rob said on TexAgs radio that Vinson will be moved to the starting rotation and will pitch Wednesday in the tournament. What do y'all think about that?

Personally, I'm torn. I would have liked to see Kilkenny get the start because he has looked pretty good in action this year, and I love having Vinson be able to come out of the pen in close games. But if Vinson can be even as close to good as a starter as he is out of the pen, then I think it'll pay off. Rob had a tough decision either way.
mdanyc03
AG
Hate it
twk
AG
That puts a lot more pressure on Hill to eat up innings. Vinson isn't going to go 9, so we'll have to use the pen in the first game. I think this is probably an indication that Vinson might start game 1 of the regional. Not what I was expecting, but Rob's done a great job with the pitchers this year, so I'm optimistic that it will work.
TAMU1990
AG
Starting pitching is very worrisome and may become an issue since we do not have two front line pitchers. It's why we lost the SEC title (winning too many series 2-1 instead of sweeping a few more). I hope the team can continue playing around it but I am nervous.
Aggies2009
AG
quote:
That puts a lot more pressure on Hill to eat up innings. Vinson isn't going to go 9, so we'll have to use the pen in the first game. I think this is probably an indication that Vinson might start game 1 of the regional. Not what I was expecting, but Rob's done a great job with the pitchers this year, so I'm optimistic that it will work.
Not what I was expecting either, but if we could win game 1 of a regional with Vinson, we'd have Hill for game 2 and almost a certain win. Let's just hope we don't go silent with the bats like we did vs Cal last year. I'd hope Vinson could pitch in a Monday game if needed for an inning or two after that, but I'm not sure.

As for the SEC tournament, it kinda depends on who we play against tomorrow. Vinson vs Vanderbilt might not be the best idea. Then again, Hill didn't fair too terribly well vs them either.
mdanyc03
AG
My question is; what are we trying to accomplish in the SEC tournament? Is the priority to win or to find a 3rd or 4th starter. Are we planning to start Vinson in the regional? I hope not. It is awesome to have to shut down hammers in the bull pen.

I think we should be trying to find a 3rd and 4th starter. We have guys who have the talent and are worth another shot. I would try to get a start for Jace Vines and/or Corbin Martin in the SEC tournament.

Then in the regional I would plan on going with Simonds on Friday and Brigham on Saturday.

Aggies2009
AG
quote:
Starting pitching is very worrisome and may become an issue since we do not have two front line pitchers. It's why we lost the SEC title (winning too many series 2-1 instead of sweeping a few more). I hope the team can continue playing around it but I am nervous.
We lost Tyler Stubblefield, and Vines/Ivey both flamed out, although Vines looked decent enough vs SHSU. We may see him start a game if needed. I think we have 3 good pitchers, they just haven't all put it all together at the same time.
themissinglink
AG
I'm not a fan. I'd rather see larkins, kolek, ivey, vines or Martin get the start. We have nothing to gain in the conference tournament. All of those guys have been inconsistent, but showed potential. I might understand it if RC if thinking of using him as a starter in the regional/super regional, but I'd rather him stay in the pen. I'm not sure what Vine's status is, but he might be a candidate to fill Vinson's long relief role. He was great in relief before we moved him to a starter.
twk
AG
quote:
My question is; what are we trying to accomplish in the SEC tournament? Is the priority to win or to find a 3rd or 4th starter. Are we planning to start Vinson in the regional? I hope not. It is awesome to have to shut down hammers in the bull pen.

I think we should be trying to find a 3rd and 4th starter. We have guys who have the talent and are worth another shot. I would try to get a start for Jace Vines and/or Corbin Martin in the SEC tournament.

Then in the regional I would plan on going with Simonds on Friday and Brigham on Saturday.

That's what I was expecting, but I guess Rob doesn't trust those guys going down the road to the regional and super regional. Let's say we go with Vinson in game 1 at the regional and get through that OK: I still think we'd start Hill in game 1 of the super regional, then if you don't use Vinson in game 1, you could start him in game 2, or start Simonds and have Vinson available for relief. I see this as an indication that Rob wants flexibility and might not go with a set rotation.
Aggies2009
AG
Watching Vandy/Mizzou (and dealing with the whistler ), I'm so glad we won't have to face Tanner Houck. The dude has dominating pitches.
Wabs
AG
Vinson is an interesting choice.

I'm not a big fan of going "all out" to win the SEC tournament. If we do win it, great - but I don't mind using it for other purposes - like finding a 3rd SP.
tjack16
AG
I would like to find a 3,4, and possible 5 starter. Last year Matt Kent was superman and started that 5th and final regional game on 2 days rest... but we can't count on that again. If we get into a situation where we have to play that 5th game, we need somebody we can go to for 4-5 solid innings.
PoliSciAg16
AG
I took this move more as Childress experimenting for the Regional and Super Regional, not necessarily as him trying to win the tournament at all costs. So I guess a better way to form the question would be, do you want to see Vinson as a starter in the Regional and Super?
Andy07
AG
Even if you start one of those other guys that already had a shot at the starting job you can't be confident they'll repeat their performance in the regional/super. They've already proven to be talented but inconsistent. I see nothing wrong with giving Vinson a shot if you wanna see how he handles being a starter.

Vinson's longest outing is 2.2 innings so it'll be interesting to see how he handles the load.

TempleAg97
AG
I hope it's an experimentation. I'm not crazy about this at all.

Having said that, Coach Childress is a pitching guru and I'm sitting in my office.
jkag89
While I think the team is going into the tournament with the mentality of winning, this however does not preclude RC using the tourney to explore pitching options. I understand the feeling of wanting to keep Vinson in the pen, it is a huge comfort having a couple of arms there you know can keep the opposition bats in check. Vinson has shown he can go multiple innings while Larkins seems more comfortable on the mound with the idea he is only going to be out there for only two or three innings. In other words he seems better when he doesn't feel he has to keep some in the tank so he can go deep into games. Personally would liked to have seen Vines tomorrow, wondering if he could follow his good showing against Sam. It would be nice for the Ags to go fairly deep into the tourney to see which pitchers are up to the task.
mdanyc03
AG
quote:

Vinson's longest outing is 2.2 innings so it'll be interesting to see how he handles the load.

He went five innings on Friday.
Aggies2009
AG
quote:
I took this move more as Childress experimenting for the Regional and Super Regional, not necessarily as him trying to win the tournament at all costs. So I guess a better way to form the question would be, do you want to see Vinson as a starter in the Regional and Super?
I personally don't. Larkins hasn't gotten us to the 6th inning in any of his starts, IIRC. And Vinson has been absolutely HUGE in finishing Larkins starts off (save Vandy where Ecker had to take over for 2.2 innings). In a regional or super, I'm guessing we're going to need middle to long relief, and Vinson is nails at that spot.
jkag89
quote:
Vinson went five innings on Friday.
Detective Jake Peralta
AG
I really like this move. If Vinson proves he can handle the starting load (and he certainly did in an elimination game vs Coastal Carolina last season) then he all of a sudden becomes a perfect game one starter for a regional against a 4 seed. In that situation, as long as we don't draw a 4 with a true ace, you have to hope your offense is good enough against whoever they have going that you can pull Vinson (or whoever you start) after 4-5 and protect the lead with Kilkenny, Vines, Hendrix, etc. like you have on Tuesday nights for most of the season. Then, you have that starter available for a couple of innings later on in the weekend if need be. Since Vinson has experience pitching multiple times in one week (and Hill does too, to a lesser extent) he's the best option to try this with.

This would be my ideal NCAA Tournament rotation (assuming Vinson handles starting well):
Regional Game 1: Vinson (short, followed by Johnny Fullstaff as long as our offense does their job)
Regional Game 2: Hill
Regional Game 3: Simonds
If necessary game: Vines (with Vinson available for 1-2 innings)
HoustonAg2106
AG
I bet Hill doesn't start until Friday or even Saturday in the SEC tournament. We will probably play around with some more pitches after Vinson gets pulled and in the game Thursday.
Aggies2009
AG
quote:
I really like this move. If Vinson proves he can handle the starting load (and he certainly did in an elimination game vs Coastal Carolina last season) then he all of a sudden becomes a perfect game one starter for a regional against a 4 seed. In that situation, as long as we don't draw a 4 with a true ace, you have to hope your offense is good enough against whoever they have going that you can pull Vinson (or whoever you start) after 4-5 and protect the lead with Kilkenny, Vines, Hendrix, etc. like you have on Tuesday nights for most of the season. Then, you have that starter available for a couple of innings later on in the weekend if need be. Since Vinson has experience pitching multiple times in one week (and Hill does too, to a lesser extent) he's the best option to try this with.

This would be my ideal NCAA Tournament rotation (assuming Vinson handles starting well):
Regional Game 1: Vinson (short, followed by Johnny Fullstaff as long as our offense does their job)
If we are going to do that, why not start Larkins in Game 1 with Vinson coming on in relief? That worked against Vandy, South Carolina, and Ole Miss.
ColoradoMooseHerd
So I guess at some point in a few days we will see Yell Practice respond to this thread with the following:

"Vinson went five innings on Friday"
Detective Jake Peralta
AG
I would be okay with that too, to a lesser extent. Larkins has just been way less consistent and I trust Vinson more to throw up 4 or 5 zeroes while we build a lead that can be protected no matter who we throw out there. With Larkins there's a bigger chance he walks a few guys and we're behind/tied when he leaves the game.
tjack16
AG
quote:

Lets just hope there isn't a 2nd if necessary game like there was in our regional last year.
CypressAg09
AG
We pretty much only have 2 reliable bullpen guys and we are using one of them in the first game of the tournament. I dont get that. I'd rather see Vines get another shot.
Wabs
AG
quote:
quote:

If we are going to do that, why not start Larkins in Game 1 with Vinson coming on in relief? That worked against Vandy, South Carolina, and Ole Miss.
RC has tried the Larkins at SP experiment. I don't think he liked what he saw. He's now willing to try Vinson there and see what happens. Can Vinson get through 5 innings? We'll see.
Aggieangler93
AG
Coaching staff are attempting to win the SEC tournament, according to recent interviews.
Detective Jake Peralta
AG
Well at that point pretty much any college team would be running on fumes and scraping to find anyone that could give them a few innings. Last year in one of the Cal games we were all holding our breath as Jason Freeman pitched for 2-3 innings.
Aggieangler93
AG
I hope we get ahead by a margin in a game or two, so that we can put in Vines, Ivey, etc, who showed promise, and I would love to have back on track for regionals etc.
PoliSciAg16
AG
Childress already said that the rotation will be Vinson, Hill, and Simonds
Aggieangler93
AG
Coach said on the radio, no Larkins, as he would be on short rest.
W
AG
Kolek's performance against Ole Miss may be playing a factor. He's the #2 bullpen guy now (behind Ecker)
themissinglink
AG
It will be interesting to see who vandy throws at us. Sheffield is on short rest and I'd be surprised to see him go. They have a deep staff so they may do some experimenting themselves.
Aggies2009
AG
quote:
Coach said on the radio, no Larkins, as he would be on short rest.
I was talking regionals. Makes sense that he wouldn't start after starting Saturday
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.