Called out for being out of the box

18,127 Views | 113 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by WC87
Wyoming Aggie
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
Imagine any other sport where boundary lines are allowed to be obliterated and their location left up to the discretion of an umpire. DOES NOT EXIST!
Which is why the coach is ultimately responsible to request that the umpire draw a line.
It's a shared responsibility, at the least, but, it should not have been needed. It was too close to call, even with benefit of a snapshot, which is inconclusive. If you think otherwise, we'll just hafta agree to disagree.
Oh I agree, I think it's a BS thing to call in such a situation when it was so close to begin with.

She was out of the box, IMO, but like you said, I wouldn't have called that in the given situation. It was simply too close to call, especially when there are no clear delineating lines.

If you think she was it of the box, then I don't understand how we can burn the umpire at the stake for calling her out of the box.

Asking an umpire to not call the game according to the rules because of the situation, I think that puts umpires in unfair situation.

I believe she was out of the box, but as an umpire, I think it's hard to make such a borderline call. Especially when you don't even bother to make a batters box with a bat.
LatinAggie1997
AG
I watched the replay again this morning. I believe I understand why blue made the call. The first couple of pitches Keeli swung, not slapped. But, the pitch before the controversial call Keeli ran forward slapping style but didn't swing (ball was way outside). During that pitch Keeli's foot was entirely in front of the plate. I think blue recognized it and on the next pitch Keeli's foot was out in front again but not as far. The umpire decided to make the call because of contact. I still think it should have been a non call because of the lack of lines and being too close to be definitive. I now can understand why blue thought she could make the call.
BoerneGator
AG
Umps can (and do) justify whatever they do under the guise of "judgment". That is why they are criticized for exercising poor judgment, as in this case. That is the crux of the matter. We all know a certain % of umps are unsuited to be an ump for personality/ego reasons. It is simply an occupational hazard you hope to avoid, but can't.
ontheway
AG
Are officials promoted to higher league levels by tenure? I heard they were. Tenure may not relate to skills or competence
Scruffy
AG
quote:
Are officials promoted to higher league levels by tenure? I heard they were. Tenure may not relate to skills or competence

In MLB yes (generally)
In softball: it take time to get good, but there isn't much "tenure" and length of time doing it isn't as much a factor.
nereus
AG
It isn't uniform. Every league/association promotes and evaluates differently. Some value seniority more than others. Some promote based on ability, but once you get to a level it is very hard to be demoted. Some will fast track you if you know the right people.

Playoffs or special assignments are the same. Some leagues/associations do it more off ability, some off seniority, some off of who you are friends with and most some a combination of the 3.
Claud
quote:

quote:
On a different note....Maybe I am just used to playing baseball but I don't understand the slapping hitting style some use in softball. Seems much harder to hit if you are moving as you are swinging.

Also, I don't understand why you would use that technique with 2 outs and the winning run in scoring position.
Slap hitting is a skill that takes time to develop. A good left handed hitter who is proficient at slapping has four options each time she comes to the plate. She can hit away like normal, "soft slap" or basically drag bunt, "hard slap" and drive the ball into the outfield, or "hard slap" and bounce the ball high of the dirt. She can decide on each pitch based on the defensive alignment; everybody playing back, she may soft slap, or try to hard slap bounce the ball off the dirt; either gives her time to beat out the throw. Infield in, outfield back; hard slap the ball over the infield. Infield in, outfield in; hard slap or hit away. Sharonda McDonald used to be able to slap and get triples. Her slaps to left field would slice around the third baseman and roll int to the corner; since she was scary fast and already running when she hit the ball, a double was assumed and a triple happened if the left fielder failed to field the ball cleanly.

As to why would you do it on this situation; barring the call by the umpire, it would have won us the game.
Thanks for the explanation but you do realize that if she gets the same hit without the slap style we WIN the game and don't have to worry about what the ump did or didn't do.

I don't like the slap hitting style when it causes you to step out of the batters box and the winning run is on 2nd base.
nereus
AG
But if she hit a ball that stayed in the infield, it would be more likely to end the game with a ground out if she didn't slap. With the running start she puts pressure on the fielder and might get a rushed transfer, force a bad throw, or just beat it out. Then we are still alive.

It is a trade off.
VegasAg86
AG
quote:
I watched the replay again this morning. I believe I understand why blue made the call. The first couple of pitches Keeli swung, not slapped. But, the pitch before the controversial call Keeli ran forward slapping style but didn't swing (ball was way outside). During that pitch Keeli's foot was entirely in front of the plate. I think blue recognized it and on the next pitch Keeli's foot was out in front again but not as far. The umpire decided to make the call because of contact. I still think it should have been a non call because of the lack of lines and being too close to be definitive. I now can understand why blue thought she could make the call.
I noticed the ump's reaction on the prior pitch, too. Seems to me that is the time to grab the bat and draw the line in the dirt.
WC87
AG
ELSA

(LET IT GO)

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.