Called out for being out of the box

18,117 Views | 113 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by WC87
Vepp
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Picadillo
Home cooking
RAB83
AG
The video makes is darn clear she was fine. The ump gave this to U La La.
Bernie13
I never blame umps for losses or wins but this was total crap. Took a game winning hit away from that young lady. On an every day slap single. Total BS.
SLAB CITY AG
Hard to watch and get into girls softball if they are going to call the game on the bases and behind the dish like this, it's embarrassing.
Beer30
AG
The plate umpire was bad all around, but that one call was hard to watch. We were robbed.
Mikeyshooter
AG
How often is that called?
BTHOthatguy
LOYAL AG
AG
She called that three times in the 6th and 7th, once on them and twice on us. The one on them their batter's heel was over if not on the plate so it was pretty clear. The first one on us I THINK the outside of our left foot got the plate so again it didn't bother me. But the last one was a terrible call.
Vepp
quote:
Video taken down?
No, should be up.
fieldtrailer
AG
First and 3rd calls were close. The 2nd one was rediculous. The question is why make it an issue in middle of a game. I think she made the 1st call incorrectly, then to save face, had to call all of them. Horrible. Just can't get in way of game like she did in bottom of 7th.

Proud of the ladies for the effort. Great game.
LatinAggie1997
AG
Game winning RBI negated by an umpire unsure of what she was seeing because nobody could be sure of what was seen.
BTHOthatguy
She was probably out of the box by an inch or 2 but how in the world do you make that call with no batter's box?
Scruffy
AG
Watching the replay she stepped directly in front of the plate with while foot out of the box and her back foot was off the ground.

She is out. If you want to complain, do it about her lack of situational awareness and foot placement.
AginZZ
AG
On the line in my opinion. Oh wait the line was gone, why the hell does softball not rechalk the boxes given the style of hitting.
W
AG
shades of the interference screw job a few years ago at Arizona State
Luke The Drifter
AG
It's not home cooking and it's not a screw job. It's incompetence. Big difference. The majority of college softball umpires just aren't very good at what they do. Which is a shame...the ladies playing and the fans of the game deserve better.

But those who hope in the LORD will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint. Isaiah 40:31 (NIV)
Scruffy
AG
Stepping in front of the plate is interference and she is out.

From the replay her foot is definitely out of the box as well.

Reminds me of years ago at a tournament where the better went to bunt, and after contact tossed her bat into the ball.
I called dead ball and by rule she is out.
That teams coach (former AD for Saint Edwards university) was unhappy calling it a bad call.

After the weekend I emailed him with the rule passage and he apologized.

Not that umpires don't blow calls, and I don't particularly care for most of the female ones simply because most have only made it as far as they have due to the fact softball is a female sport and they want female blues, but watching the replay that was the correct call. Batter screwed up.
Scruffy
AG
quote:
It's not home cooking and it's not a screw job. It's incompetence. Big difference. The majority of college softball umpires just aren't very good at what they do. Which is a shame...the ladies playing and the fans of the game deserve better.

I agree.
AgEngineer72
AG
quote:
Hard to watch and get into girls softball if they are going to call the game on the bases and behind the dish like this, it's embarrassing.
This isn't girls softball- this is women's fastpitch. It's a fast, tough game that's subject to the same challenges, bad umpires, and frustrations as men's baseball. Why would this game be anymore embrrassing to watch than some of the terrible calls in Saturday's baseball game?
oldag00
AG
Why did the assistant argue the call? Why didnt Evans?
dermdoc
AG
First of all, I know nothing about women's softball. But I would be curious to how many calls like that she has made prior to today. It just seemed strange for a novice like me to see three calls in a game at that level. I personally think most umps would not have made those calls in that game situation but I respect your opinion and knowledge. I mean, in college baseball balks could be called a lot more than they are based on the letter of the rule. Just seemed like an ump trying to make the game about them. My two cents.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Scruffy
AG
I had more assistants argue than head coaches.
And while ultimate leeway was given to head coaches, a lot was given to assistants.

Also it saves head coach face in the league and with officials.

This isn't tournament ball. A lot more goes on.
Hehateme1
quote:
Why did the assistant argue the call? Why didnt Evans?
My beef as well, ..............they would have had to carry my fat rear out of the facility flailing arms and slinging snot the whole way !!!!!!!!! That call was bullcrap !!!!!!!!!!!!
Scruffy
AG
More than likely they've been watching the batters over the past several games and seeing them herring nearer and nearer to out of the box; and the umpire in charge said something about watching close.
As for the timing: a lot of players tend to cut corners or forget things when it come towards the end and it matters more.

Much like how pitchers are more likely to illegally pitch when they're down in the count and on the bases because they just try to get an advantage.
Bernie13
Derm's Doc is correct. Like calling 3 seconds in the lane on a game winning shot when it hadn't been called all game.
Scruffy
AG
Without having seen the whole game, I don't know about that and it's possible home blue just paid attention at the end, but from the replay posted above it was the correct call. If it occurred all game and was only called at the end the umpire should be counseled and probably will be for that. They do go back over games and critique themselves.
AgEngineer72
AG
The replay for the first call, against ULL, made it look like the batter stepped on the corner of the plate. If so then it was a good call.

The replay of the second call looked like the batter's foot was in the area between the batter's box and the plate. Again, if so, a good call.

The third was so marginal that it seems like bogus call. With the camera angle and the lack of lines it's hard to tell. The foot was far enough in front of the plate that, combined with the angle from the Umpire's set position, it's difficult to see how the Umpire could make the call. Seems like a dubious call.

I've called a lot of fastpitch and had a lot of training and I've found it difficult to track the ball, watch it cross the plate area, observe it relative to the batter, watch her footwork in the box, and watch her feet relative to the lines when the bat contacts the ball. There's a lot to it and the old timers will tell you it's seldom called for thst reason. To make 3 such calls in one game is amazing. I don't know today's umpire but must have been super ump.
mullokmotx
AG
I read that the LA pitcher was pulled from their conference tournament games because she kept getting called for illegal pitches. She got called once today, but was she doing it more often?
BTHOthatguy
I assume he went up there with intention of getting tossed. He consulted with Evan's ahead of time.
AFDave13
AG
It's pretty clear she was in front of home plate...aka out of the box.

Bondag
AG
The picture you posted shows her in the box and thus it should be a game winning hit.
AFDave13
AG
quote:
The picture you posted shows her in the box and thus it should be a game winning hit.
I disagree, her left foot is definitely directly in front of home. Shes not too far out, but she's too far to her left.
Bondag
AG
quote:
quote:
I disagree, her left foot is definitely directly in front of home.
Edit, right foot in air, left still in box even if in front of plate.
woodometer
AG
My biggest issue with the umpire is that she clearly was paying close attention to the batters box. The lines defining the batters box were clearly wiped out and had been wiped out for several innings. After the first controversial call the umpire should have had the batters box re chalked at the end of the inning so that the hitters could clearly tell where the lines were. Sure from the umpires perspective you can tell where the inside lines above the plate should be but from the hitters perspective from in front of the plate you cannot tell where the lines are supposed to be when they are not there.
Last Page
Page 1 of 4

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.