Collision Rules

1,758 Views | 10 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by ABATTBQ87
Quincey P. Morris
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
What exactly are the rules at the plate at this point? Watching the LSU game and they mentioned someone being ejected for a collision last night and then suspended because it was malicious. Are collisions allowed at all?

As an extension, what are the rules regarding interference by the catcher? They just had a play in this game where the runner was hosed but he had no path to the plate and slid pretty far up the line because the catcher was there.

Do they not allow the runner to initiate contact but still allow the catcher to get in the base path like that?
Yell Practice
?? Interesting
TAZ99
AG
Have yet to see a catcher called for interference on a play like that, seems like the umps don't want to enforce this particular rule. I remember it happening to the Ags a few times in recent years, with the opposing catcher stepping in front of the plate before he had the ball. But I'm sure Barash has gotten away with it as well.
Quincey P. Morris
AG
I haven't either. That's actually why the new rule they made for the catcher in the Majors annoyed me. To my knowledge there has never been any kind of exception in interference rules for the catcher so subsequent rules just seem pointless. I could be wrong about something so maybe there's a reason but it just seems like a glaring loophole in the rule.
texasaggie04
AG
quote:
What exactly are the rules at the plate at this point? Watching the LSU game and they mentioned someone being ejected for a collision last night and then suspended because it was malicious. Are collisions allowed at all?

As an extension, what are the rules regarding interference by the catcher? They just had a play in this game where the runner was hosed but he had no path to the plate and slid pretty far up the line because the catcher was there.

Do they not allow the runner to initiate contact but still allow the catcher to get in the base path like that?

I believe that if the runner initiates contact then he is out on the play, ejected from the game, and suspended for the next game.

The catcher can block the plate once he has the ball. I THINK he isn't supposed to block the plate before that but as mentioned, isn't much enforced.
LSU Baseball Fan

It was a bull**** call. Ole Miss got away with the exact same thing on Thursday and scores a run. When we do it, our best power hitter gets tossed and can't play the next game.

http://blogs.theadvocate.com/linedrives/2016/04/29/jordan-romeros-ejection-how-it-happened-why-it-happened-and-paul-mainieris-full-argument/

Ole Miss may win this week, but they won't even win one title by the time we've won our tenth. They'll always be little brother.
EMY92
AG
Looking at the replays shown in the article, both calls were right. The LSU baserunner lowered his shoulder and tried to plow into the catcher. That's an out in college baseball today. The Ole Miss base runner didn't slide, but just ran straight to home plate. He didn't try to run over the catcher.
AggieKatie2
AG
quote:
Looking at the replays shown in the article, both calls were right. The LSU baserunner lowered his shoulder and tried to plow into the catcher. That's an out in college baseball today. The Ole Miss base runner didn't slide, but just ran straight to home plate. He didn't try to run over the catcher.

Yep....pretty obvious
LSU Baseball Fan

To call Romero out is one thing.

To eject him, then suspend him for "malicious intent" is ridiculous. Where was he supposed to go with such little time to react? He followed basic human instinct to protect himself during a collision. Not his fault he's a big man.

I wouldn't have a problem if the rules were enforced consistently. MLB rulers are clear-cut. College rules need fine-tuning and consistent enforcement. Kyle Peterson said he felt an ejection was the wrong decision.

two93ags
AG
Wrong thread. Sorry.
mc09
AG
LSU I agree that the Ole Miss guy probably should have been out not due to not sliding but in that he swung his left leg out and threw his knee into the catcher's arm to try to knock the ball loose which he successfully did. But I also can see how the ump thought he just ran thru the tag thinking the catcher reached too far in on the runners body rather than just swiping the leg on the side. He probably failed to see Ole Miss swing his leg. I watched the replay 7-10 times Thursday night to see exactly what happened.

As for your guy hitting the catcher and getting tossed, it is definitely warranted according to that video. He clearly went in leading with his shoulder directly into the catcher's chest. That's textbook for what they are trying to eliminate.

You just have to live with it as you well know. Close calls can go against you but you would be darned lucky to get a pass on obvious violations.
ABATTBQ87
AG
quote:

Here you go:

Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.