Former Aggie affected by Houston floods

2,045 Views | 12 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by W
dhoffman
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Almost two weeks ago, a former Aggie softball standout was affected by the Houston floods. On April 18th, three time All-American softball player Mel Dumezich and her boyfriend nearly lost everything in the Houston floods. Friends have created a gofundme page for Mel and her boyfriend to help support them through this horrific time. Here is the link to the gofundme page:

[DUE TO ACTIONS OF SOME IN THE PAST USING SIMILAR STORIES TO SCAM AGS ON TEXAGS, I HAVE REMOVED THE LINK TO THE GO FUND ME PAGE. PLEASE NOTE, I'M NOT ACCUSING THE OP OF BEING A SCAMMER, IT'S JUST THAT I HAVE NO WAY TO VERIFY THE INFORMATION. IF YOU WOULD LIKE THIS ACTION RECONSIDERED, PLEASE CONTACT THE MODERATOR AT MODERATOR@TEXAGS.COM. -STAFF]

Mel and Scoot are incredibly grateful for all of the support and generosity that everyone is showing them!
Ex-liberalag12
Good bull. Aggies helping Aggies and no, you won't make someone dependent in a trejedy like this. I'm the first response after 15 hours?? Just sayin.....
histag10
AG
They have over tripled their goal. Good for them!

But also, isn't this what insurance is for? I mean I understand Aggies helping each other out, and it is certainly tragic when someone loses their home, but I guess I just don't understand it.
NewAggieBallFan
Unless you carry a separate flood insurance policy, regular home insurance doesn't cover rising water. Many people don't carry flood insurance because they think it won't happen to them in their area. Our friends were flooded in May and had no insurance. They were just flooded for the second time but had flood insurance this time. It's not as expensive as you think to carry it.
The Debt
Cohabitation
histag10
AG
I understand that, but personal property insurance covers quite a bit, and I would assume you would need flood insurance in Houston (could be wrong, but I'd at least want it in an area that gets substantial amounts of rainfall and has flooded in the past.)
Yell Practice
Sad. Happy they are getting Help.
AggieBQ95
AG
Places that weren't anywhere near the 500 yr flood plain flooded in the recent rains in Houston. A friend that is an agent himself carried flood insurance for years - he recently moved and was told it would be silly because the area he was moving to would never flood. It got to the point where he was contemplating turning the power off to his house during the recent floods. Safe to say he now has flood insurance again, but it's not as uncommon as you would think.
Capitol Ag
AG
quote:
Cohabitation
Not sure why this comment is relevant? Are you trying to make some sort of moral statement about the couple's living arrangements after what they must have gone through? Unless I am misunderstanding.
Potcake
AG
What is a former Aggie?
greg.w.h
AG
quote:
What is a former Aggie?

Meant the kind of Aggie that had been deprogrammed from the cult.
Yell Practice
Former softball standout
Potcake
AG
quote:
Former softball standout

read the title
W
AG
kind of need clarification of the insurance situation. Were they renters or homeowners?

are there banks in Houston that will approve a home loan without flood insurance? That's news to me
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.