No Texas site bidding for the SEC baseball tournament?

13,795 Views | 92 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by Sean98
Texas A & M
How long do you want to ignore this user?
These are the cities bidding to host starting next year - New Orleans, Memphis, Nashville and Jacksonville.

Link

Tanya 93
What city in Texas should bid?
Yell Practice
What requirement must the city have ??
Sean98
AG
In the SEC overall footprint, Texas is an outlier, so I think it unlikely it would put forward a very successful bid anyway. Nothing to see here. Move along.
BQ_90
AG
Round Rock or Corpus, they need the size of a minor league park.

But I'd be shocked if it leaves Hoover.
rae13
AG
A Texas location likely wouldn't even get a second thought.

I honestly don't think it will be leaving Hoover anytime soon, but if it did, Memphis would be my first choice. The park is downtown with tons of hotels and restaurants and Beale Street nearby. That's one thing I miss about the Big 12. Bricktown is a GREAT location for a baseball tournament.
MSFC Aggie
AG
Seeing how I live in Alabama, I hope it stays in Hoover
Yell Practice
" Bricktown is a GREAT location for a baseball tournament."

I agree.
Ginsang
AG
quote:
A Texas location likely wouldn't even get a second thought.

I honestly don't think it will be leaving Hoover anytime soon, but if it did, Memphis would be my first choice. The park is downtown with tons of hotels and restaurants and Beale Street nearby. That's one thing I miss about the Big 12. Bricktown is a GREAT location for a baseball tournament.
When you say Bricktown do you mean OKC or is there a Bricktown in Memphis as well?

I just attended a wedding at the Aloft hotel in the OKC Bricktown area a few weekends back, and it was a pretty dang nice area with the Dodgers minor league park there and all of the decent bars/restaurants!
Yell Practice
I was thinking OKC.
Capt. America
AG
Sugar Land - Constellation Field:
Mr.Ackar07
quote:

I would be there for every game if Constellation Field hosted.
ensign_beedrill
AG
Let's just have the SEC tournament in OKC and kick out the Big 12.
mdanyc03
AG
Yeah we always say that but the state of Florida bids for things and has hosted the baseball tournament and the basketball tournament and both Florida and Missouri have won bids to host upcoming basketball tournaments. The state of Texas is no more peripheral than they are. I just think it is time for us to get over the newby mentality
rae13
AG
quote:
When you say Bricktown do you mean OKC or is there a Bricktown in Memphis as well?

I mean OKC. Playing in downtown Memphis would be a similar setting to Bricktown in OKC.
rae13
AG
quote:

I don't think it would be eligible. Ross Dellenger with The Advocate mentioned yesterday that there was a 10,000 capacity that had to be met. That's why the new park in Biloxi couldn't apply.
twk
AG
Memphis is clearly the best option, with Nashville second (although the park is newer in Nashville, it is sort of separated from the rest of downtown and not as close to hotels as the park in Memphis). A downtown park with hotels within walking distance (like the Big XII has in OKC) is the ideal setting.

There is a contingent (the RV crowd) that likes Hoover and its suburban setting, and it is certainly central, but, the minor league team moved out a couple of years ago, and it's going to be hard to keep Hoover up to standards without a full-time baseball tenant. Other than being new, there is no Texas minor league park that would be significantly better than Hoover.
cs69ag
AG
Why not just can the SEC tournament and add one more SEC 3 game series to all teams schedules?

Maybe the tournament makes money? The extra 3 games vs an SEC opponent gives all the teams 3 more games...whereas the tournament does not for the two teams that don't make it, and the teams that go 0-2 and bbq.
twk
AG
quote:
Why not just can the SEC tournament and add one more SEC 3 game series to all teams schedules?

Maybe the tournament makes money? The extra 3 games vs an SEC opponent gives all the teams 3 more games...whereas the tournament does not for the two teams that don't make it, and the teams that go 0-2 and bbq.
I can see the value in getting rid of the tournament, but I don't know that adding 3 more league games would be a good idea--we already beat up on each other enough as it is.

The main reason why everyone has a tournament, in my opinion, is to give everyone something to play for, and to preserve the integrity of the schedule. Without a conference tournament, you'd end up with a handful of teams who go the last month with nothing to play for (no shot of an at large bid), and that could impact the race. If Auburn doesn't have the conference tournament on the horizon, whose to say they would put their best lineup on the field when they face Mississippi State in a few weeks? In that scenario, they might opt to experiment, and go with younger players, letting MSU face a rather different team than the one we faced at the start of the season, and that could be the difference between MSU winning the west and A&M winning the west..
jkag89
quote:

Because you are limited to a 56 game regular season whether you have a tournament or not. The SEC could certainly go this route but it would mean eliminating a non-conference series or three midweek games since you would free up an extra weekend.
mdanyc03
AG
Because it is fun
Agsncws
AG
3 consecutive answers - all of them correct.
Tanya 93
Round Rock is really far for most schools. It should be more centrally located.
dermdoc
AG
Agree completely with Germanag. Really dislike Hoover and would love Memphis.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
BillE1976
AG
There has been talk of the Astros looking for a new AAA franchise to move to Conroe and build a new park. Since I live on Lake Conroe, I would love that and they could bid the next time the SEC looks around.
gougler08
AG
quote:
quote:

I don't think it would be eligible. Ross Dellenger with The Advocate mentioned yesterday that there was a 10,000 capacity that had to be met. That's why the new park in Biloxi couldn't apply.
That's too bad, Biloxi would be an awesome place to go for the tourney
twk
AG
quote:
There has been talk of the Astros looking for a new AAA franchise to move to Conroe and build a new park. Since I live on Lake Conroe, I would love that and they could bid the next time the SEC looks around.
That sounds as bad as Hoover. No thanks.
ColoradoMooseHerd
quote:
Why would SEC teams and fans want to come to Conroe?
aggiejim70
AG
For those of us that came in late and didn't pay attention, whose home field is that?
The person that is not willing to fight and die, if need be, for his country has no right to life.

James Earl Rudder '32
January 31, 1945
CDub06
AG
Conroe! Brilliant idea!
Mr.Ackar07
quote:
For those of us that came in late and didn't pay attention, whose home field is that?
Sugarland Skeeters. They are an independent professional league club.
dermdoc
AG
And Nashville would be great also. Jacksonville and Metarie suck like Hoover.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
BQ_90
AG
They have enough stuff in Nashville
jja79
AG
Would the Woodlands be better?
BillE1976
AG
"Why would SEC teams and fans want to come to Conroe?"

Waffle House, South Loop 336 and I-45, closest one to College Station.
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.