Baseball Polls 4/25

7,654 Views | 54 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by DatTallArchitect
dcaggie04
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
MSU is a .500 team against the Top 100 teams. Not really that good looking and they have 8 games left against the current Top 100. For comparison:

Florida is a .793 team against the Top 100 teams. (12 games remaining against Top 100)
USCe is a .667 team against the Top 100 teams. (12 games remaining against Top 100)
A&M is a .714 team against the Top 100 teams. (12 games remaining against Top 100)
Ole Miss is a .565 team against the Top 100 teams. (13 games remaining against Top 100)
LSU is a .474 team against the Top 100 teams. (16 games remaining against Top 100)
twk
AG
quote:
The NCAA doesn't consider polls when seeding. They consider RPIs and Miss St's RPI is currently 13, which as an SEC team, with 4 other SEC teams in front of them, keeps them out of the discussion.
The numbers would suggest that a 13 RPI is probably going to come up short, but State could get that RPI into the top 10, and if they do, with their resume, they will definitely be in the discussion. If they win the SEC West with 20 wins, or even 19, they will definitely have a case to make. However, if they are behind A&M in RPI and even or behind in the standings, I don't see them getting a national seed ahead of us, but we have work to do to make that happens.
Ferris Wheel Allstar
AG
I have a feeling Florida is going to have a rough month of May which will cause the SEC to be a complete cluster F
ProphAC
AG
quote:
MSU has the best road wins in the country and it isn't close. On the road at Bama this weekend would a sweep help? Also you have to take into consideration the SEC tournament and how deep we get in it...will winning it or being the runner up not make the resume look even better? Also will the committee look at attendance because 10K+ is pretty much a guarantee when we host.

I personally think there is a strong possibility that 4 SEC teams get a national seed b/c the rest of the country is so weak. I think Florida, SC, A&M and MSU all get one b/c I think MSU finishes strong and it will be hard to give it to a B12 team that is clearly dramatically worse than MSU and lower RPI. I think the other 4 will be 3 ACC teams and 1 west coast. I don't think any of the Big 12 teams finish strong enough to get the NS unless Tech sweeps TCU.
twk
AG
quote:
MSU has the best road wins in the country and it isn't close. On the road at Bama this weekend would a sweep help? Also you have to take into consideration the SEC tournament and how deep we get in it...will winning it or being the runner up not make the resume look even better? Also will the committee look at attendance because 10K+ is pretty much a guarantee when we host.
I think MSU has a case to make, as I stated above. The Bulldogs have kind of a weak finish which means that they should rack up some wins and move up in the SEC standings, but will probably have to win almost all of them to get any RPI help.

The tournament doesn't seem to be a huge difference maker, although in a really tight decision, it could be a tipping point.

In the old days, attendance would have helped, but in the last ten years, as long as clubs submit qualifying bids, the committee seems to be doing a pretty good job of turning a blind eye to the money factor and awarding national seeds on merit (they will fudge a little bit more on non-national host sites, but most of that has been on the expense side, awarding regionals based on geography more than on the merits, so as to reduce travel expenses, as opposed to maximizing gate receipts).
LOYAL AG
AG
quote:
Assuming Florida is getting one that leaves the NCAA to pick 2 from SC, MSU and A&M. RIght now MSU is on the outside from those three and the reasons should be obvious. A lot will change in the next four weeks but right now MSU is not a national seed. Pretending the season is over the NCAA isn't going to jump A&M for MSU when A&M swept MSU in Starkville and won the west by two games. So they might jump SC but that would be jumping them for a team 9 spots lower in the RPI for a team from the same conference. Just don't see it happening. MSU needs help, lots of it. They need either A&M or SC to lose a lot of games in the next four weeks and MSU needs to win pretty much all of their games since they're not playing a great schedule down the stretch.
ProphAC
AG
That's why I think MSU's best chance at a national seed is if the SEC gets 4 or SC has a really rough finish.
Sean98
AG
I think the ACC/SEC deserve 4 each. ...but I dont' see that happening. I like that the d1 boys are giving the "4 national seeds in a conference" subject some discussion, but that's all it is, just discussion. The NCAA is giving at least 2 national seeds to people outside of the ACC/SEC. ...heck, just 2 weeks ago we were all wondering whether or not it would be possible for the NCAA to award even one of those conferences a THIRD national seed. ...and now it seems almost guaranteed that one, and possibly both, will get that 3rd NS. It's going to come down to that ever popular "best available" when they get to #7 & #8.

UCSB, Tech, Creighton & TCU (along with a longshot BigTen outside chance) are the only ones that provide any semblance of geograhpical diversity. The Tech/TCU part will work itself out this weekend. After that TCU finishes with series against #92 Penn State, #127 Baylor and #151 K-State. Not exactly a big RPI help although 2 of 3 are on the road.
greg.w.h
AG
I'm in favor of four NS in baseball, two CFP slots in football, and a couple of projected S16 seeds (1-4) in basketball. That's a good year for the SEC.
Bunk Moreland
I think you'll also see some longer shots from a more geographic standpoint get 9-16 hosting locations to help it out.

They'll reach for a Michigan, Arizona, & Minnesota if both teams are closer to 20-25 than 16.

If you are borderline 15-20 and you're in the SE, no chance imo.
twk
AG
quote:
After that TCU finishes with series against #92 Penn State, #127 Baylor and #151 K-State. Not exactly a big RPI help although 2 of 3 are on the road.

I could be wrong about this, but my recollection was that the road/home difference only applies to non-conference matchups.
W
AG
also on South Carolina...

the Gamecocks are 7-7 vs. the top 50

and 8-7 at road/neutral sites.

those metrics are not particularly outstanding.

by comparison...A&M is 11-6 vs. the top 50 and 8-6 on the road
CapCityAg89
AG
quote:
quote:
After that TCU finishes with series against #92 Penn State, #127 Baylor and #151 K-State. Not exactly a big RPI help although 2 of 3 are on the road.

I could be wrong about this, but my recollection was that the road/home difference only applies to non-conference matchups.
You're wrong. Straight math.
Sean98
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:

You're wrong. Straight math.
CapCity is right. It applies all year long.

Here is Lance's RPI update after our week in Gainesville. Ags went 1-3, all on the road with a win over CougHigh and 3 losses to Florida.

quote:
ttt for week 3

-The Aggies got a nice boost from playing four games on the road, even if they only won one of them. Florida has been floating around the top of the RPI list for a long time now.

Here is the NCAA.com article from 2013 explaining the changes.

mds2010
AG
quote:
Will be interesting to see if the NCAA sends some of these SEC/ACC schools out west and north as #1 seeds in other parts of the country. There is no legitimate reason why the 8 national seeds shouldn't be from the SEC or ACC.

#1s play at home don't they?
twk
AG
Not always. Usually it's because they don't have the facility to host, but under the right conditions, it's possible that they could send a one seed on the road--it's not the worst thing that could happen, as they still get to face the four seed. Much worse is for the committee to fudge the seedings, and send a team that ought to be a one out as a two to a region where the host one seed doesn't deserve it. Then, the would be one-seed has to play a legitimate opponent in the first game, while the illegitimate one seed gets to play a cupcake.
DatTallArchitect
AG
Where can I find the graphic comparing the different polls using the jerseys? Someone used to post those on here, and I always enjoyed them
SchizoAg
AG
quote:
Where can I find the graphic comparing the different polls using the jerseys? Someone used to post those on here, and I always enjoyed them
They are always posted on twitter and reddit.

Should be a new one posted today. Here's the one from 4/19.

Same guy also makes the SEC baseball uniform tracker.
aggiedad55
AG
SEC, SEC, SEC
txag72
AG
Sweeps in front of us and behind us. So weird.
DatTallArchitect
AG
quote:
quote:
They are always posted on twitter and reddit.

Should be a new one posted today. Here's the one from 4/19.

Same guy also makes the SEC baseball uniform tracker.

Thanks!
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.