Baseball Polls 4/25

7,653 Views | 54 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by DatTallArchitect
Bunk Moreland
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Perfect Game

1. Florida (2)
2. Texas A&M (3)
3. Mississippi State (5)
4. Miami (1)
5. Florida State (8)
6. TCU (4)
7. Vanderbilt (6)
8. South Carolina (11)
9. NC State (9)
10. Oregon State (12)
11. Ole Miss (14)
15. LSU (13)
24. Rice (23)
Kool
AG
SEC is 1,2,3. . Whoa!
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Bunk Moreland
D1 Baseball

1. Florida (2)
2. Texas A&M (3)
3. Miami (1)
4. Mississippi State (6)
5. Florida State (7)
6. NC State (8)
7. South Carolina (12)
8. Vanderbilt (4)
9. Louisville (5)
10. Oregon State (14)
11. LSU (10)
13. Ole Miss (16)
16. Rice (15)
Bunk Moreland
Baseball America

1. Florida (2)
2. Texas A&M (3)
3. Mississippi St (7)
4. Miami (1)
5. Florida State (11)
6. South Carolina (12)
7. TCU (4)
8. LSU (5)
9. Ole Miss (15)
10. Louisville (6)
11. Vanderbilt (8)
15. Rice (13)
D_Wag97
AG
D1 Baseball looks the most legit to me.

Mr.Ackar07
TCU is not a top 10 team. They would be a middle of the pack SEC or ACC team at best.
LOYAL AG
AG
TCU way overrated in one, Oregon State way overrated in the other.

Edit: Oregon State is RPI # 50, that's FIFTY and D1 has them at #10??? That makes literally no sense at all.
TMartin
You know the NCAA baseball selection committee is already working on how to eliminate some SEC teams. For those who say there is no NCAA bias.......you're wrong.
trm94
AG
Positioning the BDF to get one of the NS. If we don't win the West and all remaining series, will be paired with a NS at either TCU or Tech. Politics
LOYAL AG
AG
quote:
You know the NCAA baseball selection committee is already working on how to eliminate some SEC teams. For those who say there is no NCAA bias.......you're wrong.

I think we all agree they don't like to give too many national seeds or total regionals to one conference and they don't like to concentrate the post season into one part of the country but it's going to be hard to justify this year. The top 8 in RPI are all SEC/ACC and 16 of the top 19 are in the Southeast if you include A&M just because we're SEC. I know Aggies like to whine about TCU last year but they had a very good resume. This year it's going to be really hard to find 4 national seeds that have great resumes outside of the SEC and ACC.
Bunk Moreland
d1 has TCU at 12.
Wabs
AG
Unbelievable that TCU is ranked that high. For one, they lost a series at pitiful tu, then they just lost a series at Okie State. They've beaten very crappy teams.

No team in that conference should even be mentioned in the same sentence as Florida, A&M, South Carolina, Miss State, or Vandy. Not even close.
Bunk Moreland
according to Warren Nolan, TCU currently sits at 21 RPI, and Oregon State is 50.

UCSB is 9th.

IMO, the committee is going to get a west coast team a national seed no matter what.

After that, they'll get someone central, which will be a BS TCU team, then the other 6 will go ACC/SEC. They can't avoid it this year, but 2 seeds will still be undeserving, one from the west coast, and one more central.
Aston94
AG
Will be interesting to see if the NCAA sends some of these SEC/ACC schools out west and north as #1 seeds in other parts of the country. There is no legitimate reason why the 8 national seeds shouldn't be from the SEC or ACC.
Mr.Ackar07
Based on Warren Nolan's RPI:

TCU's big winning series are a sweep of the Houston College Classic (#12 ULL, #18 Rice, #77 UH) and then a 2 of 3 win at home against #51 Gonzaga. They only have 1 other winning series against a Top 100 RPI team (#98 Loyola-Marymount)

Tech is only slightly better. They won 2 games in the HCC against #12 ULL and #77 UH, they swept #25 OSU, and they have 3 non-weekend wins over #81 SHSU

Compare that to Georgia which no one thinks deserves mention when it comes to hosting a regional, let alone a national seed has series wins over #3 South Carolina, #41 Alabama, and #75 Wright State
trm94
AG
This year the SEC will have three NS. SC can punch their ticket with a win vs FL this weekend. They will win the East in that case. FL is getting another unless they completely fall apart. A&M or MSU is getting the last. And MSU will finish well because they play nobody of consequence except Bama. We finish with Ark, SC, Vandy, and OM. Will probably be the strongest non-NS team in the Supers
W
AG
fun to take a look back at the preseason polls and see how the pundits are doing.

This was D1 Baseball's top 10:

1. Florida
2. Louisville
3. Vanderbilt
4. A&M
5. Oregon State
6. Miami
7. LSU
8. Oklahoma State
9. California
10. N.C. State

Fairly accurate with the glaring exception of OKState and to a lesser extent Cal and Oregon State.

however numbers 11 thru 25...quite a few misses:

11. UCLA
12. Southern Cal
14. Oregon
22. Houston
23. t.u.
25. Arkansas

all six will probably miss the postseason
Aston94
AG
Arguing anyone will "punch a national seed ticket" this weekend is ridiculous. Way too much baseball left to play.
W
AG
Florida is the closest right now. If the Gators win their series vs. South Carolina, I'd say UF is a lock.

would have series wins over #4 A&M, #7 Miami, and #3 South Carolina plus 3 midweek wins over #6 Florida State.

that would be ten wins over top 10 RPI opponents
Sean98
AG
quote:
D1 Baseball

1. Florida (2)
2. Texas A&M (3)
3. Miami (1)
4. Mississippi State (6)
5. Florida State (7)
6. NC State (8)
7. South Carolina (12)
8. Vanderbilt (4)
9. Louisville (5)
10. Oregon State (14)
11. LSU (10)
12. TCU (9)
13. Ole Miss (16)
16. Rice (15)
Bunk, you appear to have the PG hyperlink in the D1 post.

Here is the link to today's D1 Baseball poll.

also worth noting they have TCU at #12.

I still think that is too high for TCU, but after you get past the Top 6-8 teams there is a huge dropoff. And someone has to be 9 through 16, right?
LOYAL AG
AG
quote:
This was D1 Baseball's top 10:

1. Florida
2. Louisville
3. Vanderbilt
4. A&M
5. Oregon State
6. Miami
7. LSU
8. Oklahoma State
9. California
10. N.C. State

Think we see why they have a team with the #50 RPI in their top 10!
Bunk Moreland
Thanks. That's weird that it didn't copy. Should be fixed.
Basketball and Chain
AG
The west coast has been shut out on national seeds before, so I don't think the committee will have a problem doing it again. We have this discussion every year, but the committee is pretty good at giving national seeds out to the best 8 teams but they will reach down into the RPI mid-20s for west coast hosts (like Fullerton last year).
titanmaster_race
quote:
Perfect Game

1. Florida (2)
2. Texas A&M (3)
3. Mississippi State (5)
4. Miami (1)
5. Florida State (8)
6. TCU (4)
7. Vanderbilt (6)
8. South Carolina (11)
9. NC State (9)
10. Oregon State (12)
11. Ole Miss (14)
15. LSU (13)
24. Rice (23)
That away sweep of the bulldogs keeps looking better and better.
Basketball and Chain
AG
quote:
Arguing anyone will "punch a national seed ticket" this weekend is ridiculous. Way too much baseball left to play.

if SC wins this weekend, they'll have 16-17 SEC wins. 20 SEC wins pretty much locks up a national seed this year, IMO, so SC would have to be horrible over their final 3 SEC weekends to lose their national seed.

Not a lock as I would define it, since I consider a school to be a lock once they get to the point where they could lose out but still maintain the same position. But SC would be very very close.
Capt. America
AG
I'm actually glad to see that the sips punked tech this weekend.
trm94
AG
One of SC, A&M, or MSU is going to get hosed when it comes to NS. It will be interesting.
Sean98
AG
quote:
quote:

if SC wins this weekend, they'll have 16-17 SEC wins. 20 SEC wins pretty much locks up a national seed this year, IMO, so SC would have to be horrible over their final 3 SEC weekends to lose their national seed.

Not a lock as I would define it, since I consider a school to be a lock once they get to the point where they could lose out but still maintain the same position. But SC would be very very close.
They finish @Kentucky, A&M, @ Bama. That might not end all that well. And if it does end well then they deserve the seed.
Rocco S
quote:
One of SC, A&M, or Florida is going to get hosed when it comes to NS. It will be interesting.
FIFY.

MSU is out of the NS picture at this point.
LOYAL AG
AG
quote:
One of SC, A&M, or MSU is going to get hosed when it comes to NS. It will be interesting.
You've got to do a bit more research here. One of these three is not like the others. MSU is RPI 13 and they have the weakest finishing schedule. They are on the outside looking in while A&M and SC are on the inside looking out. MSU isn't going to get screwed. They are going to host a regional but right now they dont have the resume of a national seed. The have some nice wins but they can't gain many RPI points down the stretch with 41, 102, 107 and 93 left on their schedule. Conversely SC faces 1, 39, 4 and 41 and A&M faces 93, 17, 3 and 5. There's nothing there to suggest that MSU is going to work themselves into the RPI top 8 and more importantly that they will pass SC or A&M.
CapCityAg89
AG
quote:
quote:
One of SC, A&M, or Florida is going to get hosed when it comes to NS. It will be interesting.
FIFY.

I'm not sure how a consensus top 5 team is "out" of any picture.

The East race is: Florida, USC, Vandy (I'm not counting UK)
The West race is; A&M, MSU, OM, LSU

The winners of each division, plus the second place team in one will all be national seeds. All of them are in it. Right now, Florida is overall 1; A&M is probably 2 or 3 and USC is 6 or 7.
aggieredneck12
AG
USA Today Coaches Poll

#1 Florida
#2 TEXAS A&M
#3 Miami
#4 Mississippi State
#5 South Carolina
#6 Florida State
#7 Vanderbilt
#8 Louisville
#9 North Carolina State
#10 tcu

#12 ole miss
#13 lsu

Rocco S
quote:
quote:
quote:
FIFY.

I'm not sure how a consensus top 5 team is "out" of any picture.

The East race is: Florida, USC, Vandy (I'm not counting UK)
The West race is; A&M, MSU, OM, LSU

The winners of each division, plus the second place team in one will all be national seeds. All of them are in it. Right now, Florida is overall 1; A&M is probably 2 or 3 and USC is 6 or 7.
The NCAA doesn't consider polls when seeding. They consider RPIs and Miss St's RPI is currently 13, which as an SEC team, with 4 other SEC teams in front of them, keeps them out of the discussion.
CapCityAg89
AG
I agree it's not likely, but if they win out (extreme example) and take the west, MSU will absolutely be a national seed. The point of my post was to list all the teams I thought were still in it - those with a shot at their division and the better positioned teams for the wildcard. I do not think UK (and really Vandy is pushing it) can get to second in the east. I think all four west teams could still win the division.

The basic assumption difference is that I think there is zero chance the SEC does not get three national seeds. I think it is pretty damn close to the same for the ACC. This is historic dominance by those two leagues and complaining about past "strange" decisions (especially the constant rehashing of the TCU situation last year) does not really apply.
MSU/SECALUM
MSU has the best road wins in the country and it isn't close. On the road at Bama this weekend would a sweep help? Also you have to take into consideration the SEC tournament and how deep we get in it...will winning it or being the runner up not make the resume look even better? Also will the committee look at attendance because 10K+ is pretty much a guarantee when we host.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.