Does baseball make money? breakeven?

4,018 Views | 15 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by bufrilla
Farmer1906
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I am curious with the suites, club, and now sell outs will baseball turn a profit this year? It doesn't seem like there is a lot of readily available information on it. This article on our total revenue got me thinking and I just wanted to see if anyone on here had any more info.

BQ_90
AG
We used to get those numbers from the TMF, I bet we at least break even now. But most schools don't on baseball
W
AG
if the Ags were still playing in the old SWC and 3-game series included Saturday doubleheaders the Ags might very well break even; but with 3 nights of motels required per road series (there are 6 this season) and with at least 5 of those series requiring airplane travel...I don't think baseball will break even this year or in the near future
TMartin
What is the payoff for making it to the College World Series?
ContinentalAg
I've heard we are in the black by a small margin. One of the few programs to actually make money.
LSU Baseball Fan
Very few college sports besides football and basketball make money.

SEC schools like LSU, Carolina, Vandy, Ole Miss, MSU, A&M, Arky are some of the very few college baseball programs that actually make money.

Baseball probably makes more money than any sport at LSU besides football, of course.
TXAGBQ76
AG
In 2014 we lost >$700K according to the AD; I do not think our baseball team ever even breaks even.The only two programs that make money are obviously football and men's basketball- every other sport loses money. Women's basketball lost as much as the men's made (~$3.2M).
BQ_90
AG
I doubt it makes more than MBB, the TV money alone probable is more than baseball makes.
TXAGBQ76
AG
Saw an article where the LSU, Ole Miss and MSU ADs were quoted as saying it is very difficult to break even in baseball.
twk
AG
Like anything else in college athletics, it's hard to pin down the numbers on baseball. I suspect that $700k loss figure is probably right for that particular year, if you are talking about comparing costs to baseball specific revenue (ticket sales, advertising, etc.). However, I'm not sure that accounts for all revenue that is attributable to baseball. For example, do you credit baseball with any SECN revenue? Sure, football is the big draw, but the way SECN makes money on monthly cable subscriptions means that baseball is the chief programming source for about 2.5 months (once basketball winds down), and subscription rates are the same in the spring as they are in the fall. I'm also not sure how they count the radio contract money--is that all covered under one master contract (I think it is for A&M)? If so, is there any breakout for baseball, or is it just a lump sum.

Regardless of all the accounting minutiae, I think it's safe to say that, at best, baseball at A&M might break even over the long term.
TXAGBQ76
AG
if I recall correctly, it was a simple equation-> all sources of revenue-costs to operate the program= big negative number. Also, the discuss was that this number was pretty typical for years past.

Now what COULD be different for the 2015 number (which I have not seen yet) is the 3rd tiers rights payment from the SEC network. At the end of the day if programs like LSU, Ole MIss, MSU, Arkansas, etc. struggle ot break even on good years, we probably are in line with that also.

nereus
AG
quote:
For example, do you credit baseball with any SECN revenue? Sure, football is the big draw, but the way SECN makes money on monthly cable subscriptions means that baseball is the chief programming source for about 2.5 months (once basketball winds down), and subscription rates are the same in the spring as they are in the fall. I'm also not sure how they count the radio contract money--is that all covered under one master contract (I think it is for A&M)? If so, is there any breakout for baseball, or is it just a lump sum.
Sure the rate is the same, but the value to the carriers and subscribers isn't. They are willing to pay that amount 12 months out of the year to have football in the fall. The SECN just allows the carriers to spread out the football payments over 12 months as opposed having higher payments in the fall and lower payments in the spring/summer. Keeps the cable bills the same every month and makes cash flow easier for customers. Baseball might generate a small amount of the SECN revenue, but a very small amount.
94chem
20 years ago Mark Johnson said the program was essentially break even. Make a little money in good years, lose a little the rest of the time.

Like twk said, how do you really figure it out? How much of the all-sports passes are for baseball viewing? SECN advertising?

Tracking direct revenue would be interesting, esp with respect to the changes Byrne made to season tickets, parking, etc.
EMY92
AG
20 years ago, it was almost all bus trips. Now, all of our conference series are flying trips. Also, the cost of scholarships and coaches have gone up a great deal.
BQ_90
AG
well I would curious to know how the difference in revenue and expenses pre BBP and post BBP.

I think the club and suites have to be generating more than the cost?

Also I'd be interested to know has there been a revenue drop in concessions with the crappy levy food they've been serving.
Aggieangler93
AG
quote:
...Also I'd be interested to know has there been a revenue drop in concessions with the crappy levy food they've been serving.
We made about 15 games last season, since we were out of town. We made it a point to get to B/CS early enough to eat somewhere besides Olsen, as the food was very bad and overpriced. I hope they improve it, as I will be heading to Olsen till I die. However, my guess is that with us having a spectacular 2015 start, and then the continued run up to the post-season along with hosting the regional, that food revenues probably went up. I would bet attendance was up too. just IMHO.
bufrilla
AG
Last single year $ figures I saw for baseball (been about 5 years) was $3.5million plus in expenditures with just over $3.2 million plus in revenue. To be exact, Football and Men's Basketball were the only two in the black.
Baseball was like $350K in the red and Woman's Basketball was well over a $1.5 million in the red. Good years, Baseball can break even. Bad years it will be down. There were only about 2/3 Baseball programs in the Black for all the NCAA. I might add, that same year Kentucky's Basketball program turned a cool $14 million PROFIT.
Without BBall Kentucky would have been in the Red.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.