SEC Softball Preseason Coaches Poll

2,972 Views | 18 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by Wooahhhh
BrokenLFarms
How long do you want to ignore this user?
S
2016 SEC Softball Preseason Coaches Poll

1. Florida
2. LSU
3. Auburn
4. Alabama
5. Tennessee

9. TEXAS AGGIES

pudge
pudge
Did your better half (lol) tell you she was at my coaches clinic last week? It was our largest in the 12 years of having it. 452 softball coaches in attendance.
TXAggie2011
AG
Barring a surprise season, we've got to start asking some serious questions about the future of our softball program. Facilities, coaching, etc.

Another losing season in the SEC wouldn't feel too good. I obviously sure hope we beat this prediction.
BrokenLFarms
S
Of course she did!!!
Haha
That event turned out so amazing!!

Hope to hang out with you again soon!!

LatinAggie1997
AG
quote:
Barring a surprise season, we've got to start asking some serious questions about the future of our softball program. Facilities, coaching, etc.

Another losing season in the SEC wouldn't feel too good. I obviously sure hope we beat this prediction.

Facilities need major upgrades. We are far behind in that race. Imo, it is uninspiring to current athletes, prospective athletes, and fans.
pudge
quote:
Of course she did!!!
Haha
That event turned out so amazing!!

Hope to hang out with you again soon!!

Yeah it turned out well. Lots of work to top it.

I'll see you for sure when we play here in March. Going to be weird for me to stay in hotel after living in CS for so many years.
pudge
Honestly to everyone, the final conference finish isn't the most important thing since it's so strong. I believe we got 11 team in the dance and 5 made it to WCWS. The ultimate goal is to get in the dance and good things will happen to all SEC teams. We started 25-0 & still finished 4th and 1 and BBQ in SEC tournament, but finished 3rd in NCAA overall.
Belton Ag
AG
Interesting.

Here was my predicted order of finish from the thread a couple moths ago:

1. Alabama
2. LSU (that pitching staff is amazing)
3. Auburn
4. Florida
5. Tennessee
6. Mizzou
7. Georgia
8. Texas A&M
9. Kentucky
10. Mississppi State
11. South Carolina
12. Arkansas
13. Ole Miss

The only big discrepancy between that and mine is that I had Florida and Bama flip flopped. Maybe I'm underestimating Florida; I think Haeger was the biggest reason they won the SEC last year.

I had Kentucky and A&M swapped too. I'm very confident we'll finish higher that them.

I really think there is very, very little difference between 5-9. Any of those teams can finish at 5, and likely one will make a push to make the top 4.

mullokmotx
AG
It would be nice to finish at .500 in league play but I agree the big thing is to get to the NCAA tournament. Every weekend in the SEC it's like the NCAA Tournament. If Show is the pitcher she is supposed to be we could be pretty good.
pudge
Florida has an incoming freshman pitcher who was the lead for the USA junior national team this summer. I can't remember her name off the top of my head, but I saw her throw this summer and she's the real deal...that's probably why the coaches picked them #1.

LSU could be #1 very easily as we return 8 starters and some of incoming freshman are very good and could beat out a couple of the 8.

I will be able to get a good look at the Aggies and Tigers in Palm Springs in February 19-21 for Mary Nutter Classic. Only problem is that Aggies play in the morning and LSU plays in the evening and I planned to play golf each morning. But as bad as my golf has been lately, I may put on my maroon shirt for the morning and spend all day there.

TXAggie2011
AG
Of course its ultimately about the postseason but finishing in the bottom half suggests we're on track for another bow out in the regional round, maybe the super regional.

We've not been to the Super Regional since 2013 and we got our butts whipped.

We've not sniffed the World Series since 2011 and of course have not been there since 2008.

Yes, the SEC is very good. Yes, 9th place in this conference still means you've got a good team that could be pretty competitive in the post-season, but the bottom line is we have not been all that competitive and another similar year would just make it that much more obvious that our program is clearly a rung below a number of SEC (and non-SEC) programs.

I've been a big supporter of this program and its coaches for a long time; and I'm not assigning blame on anything in particular. But I don't think its arguable that our program has not been where any of us as softball fans want it to be.

Looking forward to the season. Just about 3 weeks away. We'll get a good test with UCLA coming to town in the first tournament of the season.

Belton Ag
AG
quote:
Of course its ultimately about the postseason but finishing in the bottom half suggests we're on track for another bow out in the regional round, maybe the super regional.

We've not been to the Super Regional since 2013 and we got our butts whipped.

We've not sniffed the World Series since 2011 and of course have not been there since 2008.

Yes, the SEC is very good. Yes, 9th place in this conference still means you've got a good team that could be pretty competitive in the post-season, but the bottom line is we have not been all that competitive and another similar year would just make it that much more obvious that our program is clearly a rung below a number of SEC (and non-SEC) programs.

I've been a big supporter of this program and its coaches for a long time; and I'm not assigning blame on anything in particular. But I don't think its arguable that our program has not been where any of us as softball fans want it to be.

Looking forward to the season. Just about 3 weeks away. We'll get a good test with UCLA coming to town in the first tournament of the season.

I don't disagree with you at all. Finishing in the bottom half is unacceptable long term and I think this season would be a perfect time to make the move into the top half of the league, secure a top 8 rpi finish and host a regional and super regional. A season like that could set the program up for a great run, what with a new facility on the horizon. It could happen, there is a lot of good talent on this team. Will it happen? The last few seasons seem to suggest it won't, and our SEC schedule this year is just sick.

I'm hoping the coaching staff can get it figured out because the new AD is coming from a place that has had a lot of success in softball during his tenure and from a conference that values the sport. I'm not sure how long he'll allow for bottom half finishes in softball before he decides make his own moves.
nereus
AG
How far on the horizon is that new facility? Is there an actual timeline or just a vague sometime in the future? I know we need a new/upgraded facility, but I haven't really heard anything that makes me feel it is really on the horizon.
Belton Ag
AG
quote:
How far on the horizon is that new facility? Is there an actual timeline or just a vague sometime in the future? I know we need a new/upgraded facility, but I haven't really heard anything that makes me feel it is really on the horizon.
That I don't know. They've been talking about a new facility for years, but at this point we've gone far enough down the road not to think something will be done in the next few seasons. As far as a specific timeline I don't know. The last I had heard was that they had purchased property across the street to move the Penberthy fields and that a budget was submitted to the board of regents. We were sent a rendering last year and asked for donations for the project. Someone I know who works at the school and is involved in construction projects on campus (He was directly involved in remodeling the Bright Complex this past year) told me that the board of regents had voted last year to go forward with the fundraising for a new softball facility.
Colt98
AG
Was told to look for some form of a new facility around 2017..(who knows if oil downturn effects this). As for our team... We have and have had a lot of talent at all positions except being dominate in the circle... That looks to be changing.. If Show can be that for us the next 4 years along with finding a couple more prospects in the circle. We could be in for some long runs. The offense is going to be awesome, and it looks like we are starting to get more speed to complement all our power. The sec is just plain sick.... Preseason top 25 is going to have 6-7 teams in top 10.... Just crazy. It's all about the circle for us. We have all the other pieces in place.
Positive Yardage
AG
NCAA Preseason Poll: Here
SEC 4 of the top 5, 5 of top 10, and 6 of top 12.

Freakin. Salty. Ags basically 26th receiving the most votes of the unranked. Behind #25 - South Alabama.
Belton Ag
AG
Yeah that's a mistake to leave the Ags unranked. So dumb.
Fat Black Swan
AG
Look at that top 25....it's pretty much the previous season's top 25.

The Florida freshman pitcher's name is Kelly Barnhill.

quote:
Kelly is so good, she's the rare recruit who can wait to the last minute to commit to a school, which is what she did in late October as she picked the National Champion Florida Gators over Stanford. Realistically, Kelly could have gone anywhere she wanted because her physical tools and skills are unmatched. She throws consistently in the 69-70 mph range and has hit the low 70's many times this year, but it's not just heat she throws--she has a rise and drop that are tough to lay off of and when batters start anticipating her speed she'll buckle knees with a brutal change-up. She has improved the last year in her consistency and confidence in throwing all her pitches. Kelly is also a blue-collar workhorse who's tough and durable, carrying her team deep into tournaments and nationals. At PGF Nationals she threw 31 innings with a 0.90 ERA and 64 strikeouts versus only four walks in 31 innings. Kelly also dominated this fall in the Georgia high school scene and was 28-5 with a 0.26 ERA heading into the final weekend of championship play. She also surpassed the 500-strikeout mark for the season, setting the all-time Georgia record set in 2002.

I think Show is going to be a big difference maker in the circle, and that's what people are skeptical of (our pitching).

But as far as recruiting goes, our 2014 (sophomores), 2015 (freshman), and 2016 (current seniors), have all been top 10 in the country.
Wooahhhh
AG
Florida's rising sophomore pitcher, Ocasio, is also very strong as witnessed by starting the opening game of the WCWS. The Gators are stacked, Walton recruits California well. Grew up playing against Lele Ocasio in Cent. FL, very strong work ethic and very talented. She and Barnhill are quite a tandem. Her dad's a pretty good poker player, too.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.