Any chance New AD considers adding a section down each baseline?

7,990 Views | 94 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by W
Captain Pablo
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Get rid of, or shrink, the stupid berms and raise capacity 800 or so?

Could either add conforming concrete, or go cheap with aluminum

Would like to see it

That'a all I got...
texaggie61
AG
Again: How about some railcars with seating, tables and cafe umbrellas, and a caboose for concession stand. Also a smaller version of Aggie Alley when Rec Center is completed.
W
AG
is Blue Bell Park 100% paid for now? or is there still outstanding debt?

I believe season tickets sold out this year.

would a BBP expansion take priority over a new softball complex?

the new AD came from UW...a program that won a softball national title back in 2009
Tex100
AG
Berms look better than either aluminum or concrete bleachers. Don't think they are going away. Season tickets are sold out but not GA tickets. Still plenty of good seats.
Captain Pablo
AG
quote:
Berms look better than either aluminum or concrete bleachers. Don't think they are going away. Season tickets are sold out but not GA tickets. Still plenty of good seats.

I think whether or not the berms look better is debatable. Regardless, bleachers are a hell of a lot more comfortable. as it is right now, several hundred people have to sit on the ground or stand up. Adding a few hundred seats would solve that

as for general admission, they sell a lot more general admission tickets then there are general admission seats. A lot of people with general admission tickets sit on the ground
Captain Pablo
AG
quote:
is Blue Bell Park 100% paid for now? or is there still outstanding debt?

I believe season tickets sold out this year.

would a BBP expansion take priority over a new softball complex?

the new AD came from UW...a program that won a softball national title back in 2009

I don't know. Bill Byrne shouldn't have shrunk the stadium in the first place. That said, I cannot imagine aluminum bleachers, flush with the existing decks, and with green benches and seats, costing all that much. And as long as the benches and seats matched the rest of the stadium, it would look just fine
Aggie
AG
I'm a season ticket holder of 27 years.
There is no way I would pay money to sit on the berm. I will say it's likely fine if you're not that interested in the game or have small kids or something.
But the berms do not offer a great experience so much of your fan base.

Also when they initially had plans for rec center renovation it included some bleachers seating for Olsen where Aggie alley was. Unfortunate looks as if somewhere along the way that idea was scratched.
Foxo
AG
I've always thought it was super stupid to spend millions and shrink the stadium.
Bunk Moreland
Hot aggie women love the berms.

Berms it is.
TXAggie2011
AG
My impression is a lot of casual student fans enjoy the berms. Grab a blanket or whatever and go chill out there and whatever. They're also not bad if you've got kids who want to move around and play some during games.

If there is consistent demand to fill more actual seats, then you consider it.

If not, its a waste of money and if you don't like the berm, don't go out there, there are actual seats available.
Bunk Moreland
Also, I think your next seats will be outfield seats when rec center addition is done. That's what I've heard RC is interested in, anyway
TXAggie2011
AG
quote:
I've always thought it was super stupid to spend millions and shrink the stadium.
Then give more money.

To keep all that seating while still updating everything to anywhere near the same level wouldn't have been possible on the same budget, or anything close to the same budget.

The seating bowl can easily be extended down the foul lines, but you need a reason to spend all that money. Is there enough demand to do it?
Captain Pablo
AG
quote:
quote:
Then give more money.

To keep all that seating while still updating everything to anywhere near the same level wouldn't have been possible on the same budget, or anything close to the same budget.

The seating bowl can easily be extended down the foul lines, but you need a reason to spend all that money. Is there enough demand to do it?

Of course there is

Did you not see how many people.were.forced onto the berms and sidewalks last year?

Most of those people aren't there by choice

They are there because there was nowhere else to go..
Floorguy
quote:
Also, I think your next seats will be outfield seats when rec center addition is done. That's what I've heard RC is interested in, anyway

This would be very nice
TXAggie2011
AG
dp
TXAggie2011
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:
Then give more money.

Of course there is

Did you not see how many people.were.forced onto the berms and sidewalks last year?

For how many games were there large numbers that wanted a seat over the berm and didn't get one and will that continue to any extent when the team doesn't get off to a record start?

I think our average attendance was still 700+ below seating capacity or something close to that? More importantly, I remember we had some big ballgames that didn't fill the seating bowl at Olsen Field.
TXAggie2011
AG
Making a list now of attendance of all games versus capacity...
Captain Pablo
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
Then give more money.

Of course there is

For how many games were there large numbers that wanted a seat over the berm and didn't get one and will that continue to any extent when the team doesn't get off to a record start?

I think our average attendance was still 700+ below seating capacity or something close to that? More importantly, I remember we had some big ballgames that didn't fill the seating bowl at Olsen Field.

You don't have to sell out every game to justify increased seating, or to recognize that is was a mistake to shrink it so much in the first place

We didn't build Kyle to accommodate a crowd in a down year for a game against UTEP

We built it to accommodate crowds for LSU and Alabama, regardless of season ticket sales

It's too small, and they should not have shrunk it so much.

And now that they have, and now that we are in the SEC, put part of it back. I'm talking 800 seats that would conform to the existing stands

Don't make people sit on the grass
Captain Pablo
AG
quote:
Making a list now of attendance of all games versus capacity...

And?
TXAggie2011
AG
Permanent Seating Capacity: 5450

deh40
AG
quote:
I'm a season ticket holder of 27 years.
There is no way I would pay money to sit on the berm. I will say it's likely fine if you're not that interested in the game or have small kids or something.
But the berms do not offer a great experience so much of your fan base.

Also when they initially had plans for rec center renovation it included some bleachers seating for Olsen where Aggie alley was. Unfortunate looks as if somewhere along the way that idea was scratched.

I agree the berms are a horrible place if you really want to watch the game. Good place for families with the kids who can't sit still.
TXAggie2011
AG
14 out of 41 home games at capacity or higher.

4 out of 41 home games at 800+ than capacity.

5 out of 41 home games at 600+ than capacity

9 out of 41 home games at 400+ than capacity.

12 out of 41 home games at 200+ than capacity.
TXAggie2011
AG
So, there ya go. I'm for one day making some big expansions, and that's always been something I've envisioned along with some stuff out by the new rec center extension. But I was just asking the questions, honestly not having looked at the numbers.

Now, I can say that with so many things to do, I'm just not sure with those numbers I'd choose to push my money that way right now, though. We had a hell of a year and need for 600, 700, 800 more seats were rare sights. We have a lot of work to do around the campus on athletic facilities, there are more pressing issues at the moment after looking at the numbers.

I agree the berms aren't a great place to watch the game if you really want to focus on it, although lets be fair and admit the old bleachers were not a nice place either- got shoved out there for several Longhorn games back in the day, not a great experience. And part of every crowd are those folks that don't mind or maybe even like the berm.

Just my two cents. I get the argument, but not personally worried about it.
jkag89
quote:

The actual capacity is not significantly less then before the renovation.

There were fan surveys about what direction the renovation should take. Fans complained endlessly about the poor view, how uncomfortable and the ugliness of the old first baseline bleachers and for the most part they went empty except for a handful of games each season.

I do think it was a mistake to put berms down both lines. I would have extended chairbacks down the third baseline to the bullpen and maybe had a smaller lawn area by the playground so you could have additional chairbacks here too. I would hate to see a quick fix and just throw up bleachers where the berms are now. I think the best initial move would be outfield seating then eventual conversion of the berms to chairbacks.
W
AG
I would consider this:

14 out of 41 home games at capacity or higher

to be enough to consider seating expansion.

kind of have to throw out or discount the midweek games.

stadium capacity needs to be built and/or designed for weekend series and regionals
Captain Pablo
AG
quote:
quote:

The actual capacity is not significantly less then before the renovation.

There were fan surveys about what direction the renovation should take. Fans complained endlessly about the poor view, how uncomfortable and the ugliness of the old first baseline bleachers and for the most part they went empty except for a handful of games each season.

I do think it was a mistake to put berms down both lines. I would have extended chairbacks down the third baseline to the bullpen and maybe had a smaller lawn area by the playground so you could have additional chairbacks here too. I would hate to see a quick fix and just throw up bleachers where the berms are now. I think the best initial move would be outfield seating then eventual conversion of the berms to chairbacks.

I agree with all of that

Except I think they could put in chairbacks in non-concrete grandstands. Many stadiums have charbacks that are on metal.

I think it could look nice and cannot imagine it would be all that expensive

zagman
AG
The easiest expansion would be to extend the upper deck along the third base line over the berm leaving the berm as is. Another expansion would be to add decks in the outfield areas.
Full Speed Ahead - Fire At Will - Gig'em

"I have never enjoyed any position more than being president of Texas A&M University." Robert Gates 11/08/06
W
AG
and from a business 101 standpoint...the shrinking capacity game to increase demand or make it more cozy is always risky. See Baylor's new football stadium
TXAggie2011
AG
W, 3 or 4 of the 5 regional games were under capacity. I think the 6156 game was the highest in the regional?

You don't make big expansions because you had 18 over permanent capacity. We probably didn't sell out permanent seats that game. May not have sold out permanent seats in the 5569 game, either. Probably 5693 and higher you start to think maybe we got pretty close to selling permanent seats. So, the number of games where we would have used an extension of medium to larger size starts to dwindle a little bit.

Had a number of weekend SEC games under capacity, FWIW.
TXAggie2011
AG
quote:
and from a business 101 standpoint...the shrinking capacity game to increase demand or make it more cozy is always risky. See Baylor's new football stadium
What about Baylor's new stadium?

McLane seats 45140, with room to add 10,000 more seats although they've never had that demand yet to warrant the expense.

The old Floyd Casey sat 50,000.

They shoved about 49,800 into the new stadium for an OU game but have not needed more than about 48,000 for any other game, even the Longhorn game. They've probably sized the stadium about right.

This is all with Baylor flying high with possibly their best teams ever and excitement over the brand new stadium.
W
AG
and looking ahead to the 2016 schedule...games which will probably meet or exceed capacity:

3 games vs. LSU
3 games vs. Vandy
3 games parents weekend vs. UGA
t.u. midweek
opening night vs. Hofstra - weather dependent
Saturday game vs. Hofstra -- due to Kentucky BB at Reed
Saturday game vs. Yale -- due to BB at Reed

that's 13 games right there. And I'm excluding entirely the April Bama series and the May Ole Miss series and of course the postseason
W
AG
Expansion is a long-term deal.

it would have been 14 games with more fans in 2015.

and then 10 to 15 games in 2016,

and then 10 to 15 games in 2017,

etc..,

so now over a 3-year period we're looking at 35 to 45 games...a full season of home games.

it definitely needs to be looked in too
TXAggie2011
AG
For once in your career reply to a question/response and help me understand the Baylor comment...

Captain Pablo
AG
If you're exceeding capacity 20-30% of the time, forcing people onto the grass and sidewalks, then you can justify expanding a little

I think even 500 additional chair backs and a few hundred outfield seats would make a big difference, and you may be able to keep a berm or two
TXAggie2011
AG
quote:
If you're exceeding capacity 15-20% of the time, forcing people onto the grass and sidewalks, then you can justify expanding a little

I think even 500 additional chair backs and a few hundred outfield seats would make a big difference, and you may be able to keep a berm or two
There are 100s of all sorts of stadiums around the country that violate that rule. And most of those aren't like Olsen where its not a problem of turning away fans (we have had to do that how often? 3 max last year if any?), but they are actually turning away fans.

And at the college level, no one facility lives in a vacuum. We've got other facilities that have bigger problems than we have at Olsen.
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.