Is anyone going to Pepperdine/Malibu?

9,968 Views | 98 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by putu
bay fan
How long do you want to ignore this user?
S
If so, let me know and I would be happy to guide you on where to stay/eat etc. I am looking forward to an excellent series. While ranked 30 pre season, Pepperdine is hopeful of a return the post season for the third straight year. Not bad for a school with about 4000 undergrads and no lights on the baseball field. The weather is usually beautiful in mid February, 75ish and it's a great place to watch a game from a bluff above the ocean and the Pacific in the back ground.
Let me know if I can help you with your trip plans. There is really no place to stay in Malibu proper.

dermdoc
AG
Yep, going back after being there two years ago. Staying at the Malibu Beach Inn again and dinner reservations at Mastro's, V's, and Carbon Beach club. Happy to hear any recommendations. Thanks in advance
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
ensign_beedrill
AG
I'm going! Staying in Calabasas. Any cheap restaurant recommendations are welcome. Anywhere that's got good fish tacos?

Do you know what the ticket situation is? Is it a good idea to buy them in advance or will there be plenty for people who walk up?

And... anything fun/interesting to do in the area.
deh40
AG
We are staying in Calabasas as well. Would appreciate reasonable dining recommendations and anything else to do at night after the games.
ensign_beedrill
AG
Note: the Jersey Boys tour is going to be in Thousand Oaks that week. I'm thinking about going.
dermdoc
AG
Check out Malibu Seafood or Duke's for reasonably priced meals.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
dermdoc
AG
And there will be plenty of seats available. When we went two years ago there was a couple a hundred people there at the most. We could sit wherever we wanted to.
bay fan
S
HDon't worry about tickets! Lol. Sort of opposite to A&M, nobody goes. I am parent of player and never seen the stadium more then half full at the most. Will be tons of scouts (always are) sitting behind home plate and you will all spread out where ever you want as we don't sell seats, just admittance.

Here's some tips.
For dinner through the canyon is Wood ranch. Good barbecue, really. Also, many things casual,like BJ's and more fancy along the 101 towards Westlake which is where I usually stay. I like the conveniences of Westlake. It's about 20 minutes from Pepperdine while Calabasas is 12-15.

In Calabasas and also Malibu near campus is Marmalades, excellent for breakfast. Probably other meals too but that's all I've been there for. In the same Calabasas mall as Marmalades is Sun Life which is a California favorite, think smoothie but in a bowl.

Along highway 1 north of Pepperdine by about 10 minutes near Zuma beach is a great breakfast burrito place, again prob good for other meals but that's what I've had called Lily's and a great "Taco stand" kind of place called Malibu Sea Food with out door seating overlooking the ocean (across two lane hippy 1). Not fancy at all, my son eats at these places meaning they are good food but by Malibu standards cheap! (Won't be cheap by Texas standards).

Along 1 going south towards LA are two more good places. The Reel Inn is a great place for fish tacos etc. Again, casual counter style ordering and plenty of seating. Lines move pretty quick if there is a line. Malibu County Kitchen is near Dukes and also good for breakfast and lunch. I am not a fan of Dukes except for the experience so you should go there. They serve brunch and that's always fun.

All our games will start at 2:00, FYI. Also, they will have a limited single camera video feed with super poor announcing but you will be able to see them if you desire. Spread that word amongst the parents on the team as its better then missing the games entirely.

Let me know if I can answer any other questions!

dermdoc
AG
Thanks
BQ_90
AG
quote:
And there will be plenty of seats available. When we went two years ago there was a couple a hundred people there at the most. We could sit wherever we wanted to.
i can remember their announcer wondering where all these people came from saying no way they where Pepperdine fans. He was astonished at all the Ags there
ensign_beedrill
AG
Sounds great! Thanks!
bay fan
S
We frequently play in front of 150 people. Our players loved playing at A&M two years ago. Didn't mind the taunting because they enjoyed the crowd. It's hard for you guys to imagine I am sure especially since we are talking about a team that's made the post season 3 of the last 4 years and two years ago came within 2 outs of beating TCU to go to Omaha. Funny how the strike zone shrunk to about a shoe box in the 9th. So, we have something in common with the Aggies, we both hate TCU!
Removed:09182020
AG
Howdy bay fan. Im a native son of Pepperdine and Westlake High (CA) grad. I'll be at the game with split allegiance of my entire childhood vs alma mater.

Everyone else reading this thread, bay fan is giving stellar advice of places to eat. The only thing I'd add for those staying in Calabasas is to check out Twisted Oak Tavern on Agoura Road. Phenomenal good and house brews.

Any Ags needing to kill time before a flight at LAX, highly recommend The Tripel in my neighborhood of Playa del Rey. It's 10 minutes from LAX and great food. PM me if interested in a TexAgs meetup.
Flexbone
First CWS I ever remember watching was Pepperdine beating Cal State Fullerton and future first round draft pick/Astro Phil Nevin.
dermdoc
AG
Come say hi at the game Malibu. I will be the loud, obnoxious Ag with a pretty wife.
bay fan
S
Would love to meet up with anyone that goes to the game.

My son plays at Pepperdine so i will be wearing orange but will find a way to rock some maroon simultaneously.

My daughter is a current Aggie and she loves it. I loved it from the first tour we took and knew it was the right place for her. I'll be rooting for Pepperdine on this one but if we have to lose one, won't mind losing to the Ags.
bay fan
S
Hey Malibu, where do you live now? Did you return to California? I told my son his freshman year every day at Pepperdine had better be a good one with those amazing views and perfect weather! Looking forward to meeting you.
AG
Currently living in Playa del Rey, CA (between LAX and Marina del Rey). My father was a professor at Pepperdne, and I went to church / youth group at the University Church of Christ on Sundays/Wednesdays, so Malibu and Pepperdine is a very special place to me (hence my username). About half of my closest childhood friends went to Pepperdine for undergrad or grad school.

I'll probably have a Pepperdine ballcap and an A&M polo, and will be sitting with some Pepperdine law alums and folks from my Youth Group.

Looking forward to meeting you, dermdoc, and other TexAg-ers at the game.
twk
AG
I'm in. Staying at the Hampton in Agoura Hills (that place derm is staying cost as much for one night as I'm paying for 3), Flying Southwest from DAL to LAX early Friday morning, then flying back Monday morning.
dermdoc
AG
Come by and see us twk
dermdoc
AG
We can listen to Sinatra and drink and you can drive us.
bay fan
S
Agora Hills is convenient to a lot. I am sure the team will stay through the canyon as well so it will be convenient. In 3 years I've not stays in Malibu. Now I would suggest that if you know each other a couple of families get on airbrb or Vrbo and stay in a house or condo on the beach and make it a bit of a vacation. Not cheap, but you'd never regret it.
twk
AG
quote:
We can listen to Sinatra and drink and you can drive us.
Absolutely. Looking forward to it.
twk
AG
quote:
Agora Hills is convenient to a lot. I am sure the team will stay through the canyon as well so it will be convenient. In 3 years I've not stays in Malibu. Now I would suggest that if you know each other a couple of families get on airbrb or Vrbo and stay in a house or condo on the beach and make it a bit of a vacation. Not cheap, but you'd never regret it.
Thanks for the tips. One of these days, I want to drive the entire PCH, so this may be s omewhat of a scouting trip. I'm a Hilton guy, so that's one of the reasons I chose the Hampton, and the drive through the canyon also didn't look to be too bad. I get to town just after 8 Friday morning, so I'm kind of thinking about staying off the freeway and driving up to Malibu from the airport along the coast.
bay fan
S
Absolutely. The coast is the only way. But don't rush up to Malibu, it's a sleepy little town with not much to do. Stop in Santa Monica and browse the 5th street mall...it's an outdoor mall with excellent people watching if shopping isn't your thing. The game will be at 2:00. Also, the drive through the canyon is sort of beautiful/majestic in its own right and very easy. 10 minutes. Most of the students live though the canyon due to cost!

Has anyone been to a game at Tulane? I am trying to determine if it's worth the cost to go watch when Pepperdine plays there or if they have a TV feed? Thanks if anyone knows.
Varmintcong50
Rustic canyon general store on Kanan rd. Ate there when I was in Agora Hills. Pastrami burger was great. Has a wine tasting/bar right next to it.
Bunk Moreland
If you guys are going with a decent sized group, vrbo and airbnb have some good deals in and around Malibu.

Have a buddy up in the area so I'm trying to make this trip work out somehow. Would be fun.
Fat Tony
AG
Thanks for the info, guys!

Re tickets: should we purchase them online, or will we be okay buying them at the field the day of each game?
dermdoc
AG
You will be fine getting tickets at the gate the day of the game.
Fat Tony
AG
quote:
You will be fine getting tickets at the gate the day of the game.
Thanks.

A few recommendations from a friend at USCw:

1) The Old Place
2) Malibu Farm
3) Le Pain Quotidien
4) Zinque
5) Soowon Gulbi (Korean BBQ)
6) Kippy's
7) 26 Beach (Venice)
8) Hal's Bar & Grille
9) Bestia
10) Baby Blues BBQ (Venice)
AG

quote:

A few FIFY:

1) The Old Place
2) Malibu Farm
3) Le Pain Quotidien
4) Zinque
5) Soowon Gulbi (Korean BBQ) Go to KogiBBQ.com. It's a Korean/Mexican fusion. This was a food truck that inspired the movie Chef, and Roy Choi is somewhat of a chef celebrity for this. Hands down, if I had to pick only 1 place in the entire LA metro to eat, including fine dining choices, Kogi is easily my #1.
6) Kippy's
7) 26 Beach (Venice)
8) Hal's Bar & Grille
9) Bestia ABSOLUTELY YES. But this is in downtown LA, and if you want to eat here, make your reservations now. It might even be booked up already.
10) Baby Blues BBQ (Venice) Texans should skip this choice.
Fat Tony
AG
quote:

quote:

A few FIFY:

1) The Old Place
2) Malibu Farm
3) Le Pain Quotidien
4) Zinque
5) Soowon Gulbi (Korean BBQ) Go to KogiBBQ.com. It's a Korean/Mexican fusion. This was a food truck that inspired the movie Chef, and Roy Choi is somewhat of a chef celebrity for this. Hands down, if I had to pick only 1 place in the entire LA metro to eat, including fine dining choices, Kogi is easily my #1.
6) Kippy's
7) 26 Beach (Venice)
8) Hal's Bar & Grille
9) Bestia ABSOLUTELY YES. But this is in downtown LA, and if you want to eat here, make your reservations now. It might even be booked up already.
10) Baby Blues BBQ (Venice) Texans should skip this choice.

I appreciate the info, Malibu!
dermdoc
AG
Thanks Malibu!
rae13
AG
My group will have about 5 or 6.
Luke The Drifter
AG
I will be there! Thanks for the tips!

But those who hope in the LORD will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint. Isaiah 40:31 (NIV)
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.