Kyler and Aggie Baseball

17,511 Views | 116 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by AFDave13
ViewFromTheSidelines
How long do you want to ignore this user?
What's the % he will play this spring for baseball?

If so, do those in the know expect to him to see considerable playing time?

What position does he usually play?
Hop
Staff
AG
He is planning to join the team in January. I heard he will play CF. We'll see, but I think it will be tough breaking into the lineup with just three weeks of practice while these other players are on the diamond 12 months a year.
W
AG
it's definitely going to be interesting to watch.

at a minimum he'll give the Ags top notch speed for pinch-running and late-game defense.

is he faster than Choruby?
Yell Practice
I think that Second Base is his normal position ??
ensign_beedrill
AG
I remember when Johnny was going to play baseball.
dirkjones
AG
Johnny could have played baseball and helped the team, he was discouraged from playing by the OC. Murray will play baseball, was agreed to by all who recruited him.
threeanout
AG
Wow, the outfield is going to be some kind of crowded. Assuming Banks stays in right, that leaves Moss, Choruby, Pennington, Collins and Kyler vying for centerfield. I would assume in left is Boomer, unless they work him into the infield or leave him DH'ing. Kopetsky and Moroney should be vying for an OF slot as well. Sure I am leaving someone out, not sure what incoming freshman outfielders we have.
dirkjones
AG
Kyler is listed as an infielder on the roster, I expect him to be in a rotation at second base. It will all come down to hitting though. If he hits, RC will have to find a place for him or whoever is hot.
threeanout
AG
True. Excluding Barash and the catcher's spot our two lowest BA's came from center and second base last year.
twk
AG
Barring a growth spurt, Kyler's future as a pro athlete is as a baseball player, so I can't see him deciding not to play. Johnny's situation was different.
threeanout
AG
The bigger question may be if he hits .350 or so his freshman year, does he opt out of football.......aka Jeff Granger.
Bunk Moreland
quote:
Johnny could have played baseball and helped the team, he was discouraged from playing by the OC. Murray will play baseball, was agreed to by all who recruited him.

Murray is also a different type of baseball prospect than Manziel. No knock on Johnny, but Kyler's future may legitimately be in baseball so he needs to follow it more seriously at this level
Joe Nobody
Kyler's future as an athlete is slot receiver. He will make a good pinch runner if he plays for the Aggies. But I don't see how he breaks into this lineup. We have no idea if he can hit a D1 slider. It is silly to project him as a future MLB player with his average arm strength (notice we didn't try the Hail Mary against SC. Why? Kyler couldn't reach the end zone from our 45 yard line), and he bats from the right side and surely does not hit with power. If he was that good he would have been playing SS, not 2B at Allen.
Aggies1322
AG
quote:
Kyler's future as an athlete is slot receiver. He will make a good pinch runner if he plays for the Aggies. But I don't see how he breaks into this lineup. We have no idea if he can hit a D1 slider. It is silly to project him as a future MLB player with his average arm strength (notice we didn't try the Hail Mary against SC. Why? Kyler couldn't reach the end zone from our 45 yard line), and he bats from the right side and surely does not hit with power. If he was that good he would have been playing SS, not 2B at Allen.

Wrong. You're wrong.
Bunk Moreland
quote:

Average arm strength? Good lord bruh. He's not Marino, but he's got plenty of arm strength, and he's still very young.

He played in the Under Armour all american baseball game. At one point, he was as high as the #29 ranked prospect for the 2015 MLB draft before he made it known he was opting out of the draft.

He didn't "not throw" the ball because he couldn't reach the endzone from the 45. That's not only wrong, it's pathetically wrong.
Sandman98
AG
quote:

He's trying to revive the thread he started that got locked. There is no more appropriate user name on Texags.
Joe Nobody
Bunk. You have been listening to too much Andre Ware hype. You are obviously unaware of how MLB prospects are contacted in the spring when they are draft eligible, told what round they are slotted for, what kind of money they can expect, and directly asked if they would be interested in signing for that amount. This is when overly hyped players come back to reality. You also have no skill at judging arm strength.
Bunk Moreland
quote:
Bunk. You have been listening to too much Andre Ware hype. You are obviously unaware of how MLB prospects are contacted in the spring when they are draft eligible, told what round they are slotted for, what kind of money they can expect, and directly asked if they would be interested in signing for that amount. This is when overly hyped players come back to reality. You also have no skill at judging arm strength.

Thanks for the post. Perfect confirmation needed that you're a troll, and a terrible one at that. Carry on!
Joe Nobody
[Goodbye--Staff]
Sandman98
AG
quote:
Trolls normally don't site facts. This spring you will see that I am right and you are wrong.

Note that I was laughed at last spring when I said Kyler would not be drafted. I was right about that as well. You don't opt out of the draft. You tell MLB you are not going to sign for the bonus money they have you slotted for and they don't draft you in any round.

That's factually incorrect.

quote:
The only way a player can get removed from the Draft is if he's selected as one of the top 200 prospects by the Major League Scouting Bureau and declines to submit medical reports and take a drug test.

He was rated by almost everyone as a top 40 player in the draft.
Bunk Moreland
you're wrong, Sandman.

You didn't hear? Under Armour routinely invites scrubs who can't throw to their All Star game at Wrigley Field. They love putting such inferior products on the field for their marquee game.
Joe Nobody
But Sandman, all those rankings don't matter. What matters is how the MLB teams rate a player. Players who are told by MLB they are projected to be drafted in the top 40 slots you refer to and receive a seven-figure bonus normally sign. I expect to see Nick Banks go in the 1st round - lefty, strong arm, hits with power.
Lance Uppercut
AG
1. How much arm strength do you need to play 2nd base? If he has a reliable glove, he'd get a look at the middle of our infield.

2. How many lineups in college baseball are all over sliders?

3. Our team had a large lack of speed. If we was even on base at a respectable clip as more of a contact hitter he would be a huge asset to the team.

Not saying he's a sure thing, but I'm not getting why you'd think he had no chance of cracking the lineup.

aggiewab
TRUST me Kyler will not play any infield position. He lacks the experience and mechanics to field ground balls at this level. At best he will be an outfielder. Can he hit? We shall see? My experience is that he will not hit and not play any major role for the Aggies. He did not hit for his HS team in 2015. Very tough to not play baseball and just show up and beat out true SEC baseball players. He is no Deion!!!
Sandman98
AG
quote:
But Sandman, all those rankings don't matter. What matters is how the MLB teams rate a player. Players who are told by MLB they are projected to be drafted in the top 40 slots you refer to and receive a seven-figure bonus normally sign. I expect to see Nick Banks go in the 1st round - lefty, strong arm, hits with power.

Since you're banned I'll wait for you to return to expose you further.
MMantle
AG
I think a few of you are under-estimating how talented Kyler is.

From discussions I've had with 2 Aggie baseball coaches, and a friend with C/S Twelve, he's a special player, the type that doesn't come along very often.

As many of you have mentioned, the concern is, how much time will he be able to devote to baseball, Aggie baseball and the SEC are played at a very high level, much different than what Kyler's seen thus far.

RR
aggiewab
I would agree that Kyler is very talented and could be a major factor. He will not contribute until the football distraction is removed. One he stops playing football and that distraction is removed I see him doing well in pro baseball. He has never played it year around and worked the fundamentals needed to play at a high level.
Yell Practice
Kyler will have to work himself into the starting lineup. That may be difficult. It is pretty well set now, IMO.
MMantle
AG
Has anyone on this board actually seen him play, I'd like to hear some firsthand observations.

RR
Bunk Moreland
quote:
Has anyone on this board actually seen him play, I'd like to hear some firsthand observations.

RR

Have not seen him play. However, his senior year he basically DH'd only, and I think it was due to shoulder surgery/injury healing after the football season. So 2014 is the best year to have gotten a good look at what he can bring to the table.

I watched him in his limited time during the UA all star game. Wooden bat game at Wrigley. August 2014. He had to fly up there that morning due to football practice, so he didn't get time to acclimate like the rest of the guys did. Got 2 singles I believe

Here's a quote from the recap of that game

quote:
In what was one of the more impressive displays of hitting in the entire game, Kyler Murray turned around a 90 mph fastball on the inner half for a laser beam line drive single to left field. His hands were lightning quick to contact, and he delivered the barrel through contact such that he kept the inside fastball fair instead of hooking it foul. It takes a combination of natural ability and feel for the barrel to pull that off, both hallmarks of highest level hitters, and clearly Murray has both.

https://www.baseballfactory.com/category/all-america/14-ua-game/
dirkjones
AG
There is video from 1 1/2 years ago of him at the underarmour games. He had a late flight and showed up at the game after it had started. He had been playing 7 on 7 that year and had not been playing baseball for 2 months. Coach put him in the game cold as a pinch hitter. First at bat struck out. 2nd at bat line drive single. Then stole second base and then 3rd easily. Also got another hit his 3rd at bat.
MMantle
AG
Thanks, guys, never seen him play, but from baseball people that I highly respect, they say he's special, I still think he plays in 2016.

RR

RGLAG85
AG
quote:

RR

Hopefully I don't get crucified or banned, I'm not trying to besmirch Kyler. He's an incredible athlete and I think if he plays, he'll have a roll helping the team. How much will depend on how quickly he can adjust to the college game.

This was a funny story that involved my son and Kyler. Kyler made varsity as a freshman as did my son at his respective school. We scrimmaged his team every year early in the spring. Freshman and sophomore years my son faced him on the mound 3 times. Freshman year struck him out the one time he faced him and sophomore year struck him out once and jammed him for a ground out back to him on the mound. At the scrimmage their sophomore year there were two highly respected summer coaches, one an MLB scout. Both coached for different highly respect organizations in the DFW area but son played for a different organization. After the game they were both talking to my son and hard selling him on playing for them. They both knew he was happily entrenched in his team and he politely dismissed their overtures. The conversation turned to Kyler and the first coach said "Kyler is good baseball player, isn't he? " Son said "yeah, he's a great athlete." Second coach chimes in "he's really fast too!" Without missing a beat, son says "I wouldn't know, all I've seen him do is walk back to the dugout". They laughed and said "that's why we love you."

He didn't face him their junior year because Kyler was on a recruiting trip and senior year, son was in the early stages of his throwing program.

The one thing their senior year that was a little disappointing, Kyler was only DHing for reasons stated above. Our visiting bullpen is right next to the visitors dugout. During the game, he stood by himself in the bullpen and not with the team in the dugout. Had a couple of scouts that were talking to me notice and voice concern.

Anyway, I hope he plays for the Ags because I think he could definitely contribute.
dirkjones
AG
Good story, butt I thought Kyler went to school in Lewisville his freshman year before transferring to Allen his soph season?
Captain Pablo
AG
quote:
The bigger question may be if he hits .350 or so his freshman year, does he opt out of football.......aka Jeff Granger.

I don't think a .350 year would have any bearing

Granger went full time baseball because his football game went to crap. Plus, he got beat out

Plus Granger was a known amateur baseball talent. Was on Team USA (which I hear Slocum was not happy about at all, but that's a whole other issue)

A whole different situation from Kyler
Last Page
Page 1 of 4

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.