Softball Update?

4,682 Views | 39 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by Ags06Win
gigum
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Would appreciate knowledgeable response.
Basketball and Chain
AG
It appears that we have a brutal conference schedule. Looking at the 2015 SEC standings, we face the top 7 finishers (Florida, Auburn, Alabama, LSU, Tennessee, Georgia, Missouri) and the last place team (Arkansas).
Colt98
AG
Yea some how we don't get to play the so called lower end of the conference this year... Except Arkansas, and I would expect with their new coach they will be improved. Every series will be like a super regional... Crazy
phantomf15c
AG
Fall team practice started in earnest this week but group workouts have been going on for the past two. The team participated in the highly acclaimed "The Program" USMC team building exercise late this week. From the looks of things the coaching staff is looking at all options defensively & offensively. A few of the freshmen are making a strong case for significant playing time and the fall season will be a proving ground for the fish class.

The SEC schedule is absolutely brutal, but most of these athletes have been playing against these SEC elites in travel ball for years with a high rate of success against them. This Aggie team is still very young and relatively inexperienced.

With the rostered talent on this team they should be very sound defensively and should be able to score runs via the long ball while mixing in a great deal of speed in the short game. The pitching staff now has Show as a #1 option. If she develops quickly and has early SEC success, this group could make a strong push.

This roster is loaded with top tier talent at all positions but they need SEC seasoning reps -- Aggie Softball should be pretty exciting to watch over the next few years!
gigum
AG
Thanks phantomf15c

Please keep us updated when you can
gigum
AG
Updates anyone?
BrokenLFarms
S
We have four pitchers going forward...Katie Marks, Kayla Ober, Sam Show and Trinity Harrington (transfer from Colorado State)
After her surgery it sounds like Abby Donnell will not be able to continue her playing career.
Belton Ag
AG
quote:
We have four pitchers going forward...Katie Marks, Kayla Ober, Sam Show and Trinity Harrington (transfer from Colorado State)
After her surgery it sounds like Abby Donnell will not be able to continue her playing career.

That sucks for Donnell. She had a hell of a bat last year when she did play, and I was hoping she'd be able to at least pinch hit for us.
nosoupforyou
AG
Thanks for this - very interesting to watch how the girls progress.. a few questions for those that follow the team closely -

• Of the girls on our team - how many are all SEC type players? 1st/2nd/3rd team still count..
  • Of our pitchers - how many have a chance to be all SEC?
  • From last year's team - who did we lose that we will really miss?
  • Which new players are back and have elite potential?
  • Finally - which team will be better in these areas - this year's team or last year's team?
  • offensively (average and home runs)
  • pitching
  • win/loss record
  • Very finally - predict the SEC standings at the end of the year - top teams and where will the Aggies finish? Do they make the tournament?
[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/oezgsPJs.jpg[/IMG]
Belton Ag
AG
quote:
Thanks for this - very interesting to watch how the girls progress.. a few questions for those that follow the team closely -

• Of the girls on our team - how many are all SEC type players? 1st/2nd/3rd team still count..
  • Of our pitchers - how many have a chance to be all SEC?
  • From last year's team - who did we lose that we will really miss?
  • Which new players are back and have elite potential?
  • Finally - which team will be better in these areas - this year's team or last year's team?
  • offensively (average and home runs)
  • pitching
  • win/loss record
  • Very finally - predict the SEC standings at the end of the year - top teams and where will the Aggies finish? Do they make the tournament?

• Of the girls on the team, Tori Vidales is capable of being a 1st team All-SEC player. She is a legit star in the making in this league. Of the rest, Cali Lanphear has the ability to make the All-SEC team somewhere and you might see someone like Kristen Cuyos make the SEC All-Defensive team.
  • Of the pitchers it's pretty unlikely you'll see anyone on our staff make an all SEC team this year. If anyone does, it would probably be Samantha Show. She is an elite pitching prospect but will be a freshman this year.
  • From last year's team I think we'll miss Rachel Fox most of all. She was a good pitcher and when she was on she was really tough to hit.
  • I'm not sure what you mean by new players being "back," but I've heard great things about Samantha Show, Keeli Milligan and Riley Sartain. All three are great prospects.
  • Offensively this year's team may be the best we have seen in many years. There is power throughout the lineup, Coach Glasco will have them rolling this year I think.
  • Pitching will likely be a wash. Show has a higher ceiling than Fox had but is just a Freshman.
  • Win/Loss - we could actually be better this year and have a similar record. The SEC schedule we play is just brutal. I could see us having a better non-conference record and worse/similar conference record and a higher year-end RPI than last season.
  • My predicted finish for the SEC:

1. Alabama
2. LSU (that pitching staff is amazing)
3. Auburn
4. Florida
5. Tennessee
6. Mizzou
7. Georgia
8. Texas A&M
9. Kentucky
10. Mississppi State
11. South Carolina
12. Arkansas
13. Ole Miss

It'll be interesting to revisit this thread at the end of year and see how it shakes out.

And yes, the Ags will make the tournament easily and will make a push to host a regional.
nosoupforyou
AG
Awesome response Thank you so much

I think it would be great for the TexAgs team to take some of this information and make a softball write-up for the entire website And I agree this will be fun to look at at the end of the season. Thank you for your effort
[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/oezgsPJs.jpg[/IMG]
LatinAggie1997
AG
Keeli and Riley and Tori and Erica...
Whoop!
#BeingTheImpact - Impact Gold - Jackson
_mpaul
AG
quote:
1. Alabama
3. Auburn
4. Florida
5. Tennessee
6. Mizzou
7. Georgia
8. Texas A&M
9. Kentucky
10. Mississppi State
11. South Carolina
12. Arkansas
13. Ole Miss
Holy cow, that's a brutal conference. We need to figure out a why to start finishing in the Top 5. Disappointing that Auburn was able to take such a leap forward in such a short time, but not unexpected given Myers.
Belton Ag
AG
quote:
quote:
1. Alabama
3. Auburn
4. Florida
5. Tennessee
6. Mizzou
7. Georgia
8. Texas A&M
9. Kentucky
10. Mississppi State
11. South Carolina
12. Arkansas
13. Ole Miss
Holy cow, that's a brutal conference. We need to figure out a why to start finishing in the Top 5. Disappointing that Auburn was able to take such a leap forward in such a short time, but not unexpected given Myers.
I agree that we need to finish higher, and I think it's possible if Sam Show is as good as I've been told she is. But she's a freshman so it's probably a bit unfair to expect her to dominate right away in this league.

I will say that there isn't a whole lot of difference between 5 through 9 in my opinion, so it's entirely within reason to see the Ags finish higher.
BrokenLFarms
S
Ags outscored their opponents 103-3 during the fall season!!

Granted, playing against the likes of Blinn, Galveston, Temple College, Tyler JC, McClennan and Sam Houston must be factored in but averaging almost 13 runs per game (Two of the series were DH) passes more than the eye test.

Year two under Coach Glasco's hitting instruction is off to a great start!
SeenNotHeard
AG
It wasn't that long ago we were winning fall ball games against the same competition 3-2. We even lost to Blinn a few years ago. This team looks VERY good. Best I have seen us look in fall ball in recent memory.
pudge
I'm expecting a dramatic improvement in Aggie Softball this year. They could be in the top 5 or better of the SEC this year which would be top 12 or better nationally. While I'm a donor for LSU softball, I like and respect the work that Jo and her staff do on a daily basis. They were always good to me when I coached at Consol and I yell for them every game except foe 3 next year.

On another note, I did see LSU play McNeese in a single 10 inning fall game about a month ago. Beth doesn't post any results on websites and twitter about the games. The Diamond Backers do get a fall schedule inviting us to the games and let us spread the word. I just know we have the potential to be better than last year. We were ahead of McNeese 16-0 after 6 innings. Really I don't know if we're that good or McNeese is that bad.

Even with that, I fully expect that our series in College Station should be exciting and very competitive. I can't wait to see all of my friends in CS that weekend.
pudge
Also, I have a question. .. when is the university going to finally take care of the softball team and build a facility the team and fans there deserve?
Lexie Hudson
Not a set date, but from what I've heard it's supposed to happen sometime in 2017.
Belton Ag
AG
quote:
Also, I have a question. .. when is the university going to finally take care of the softball team and build a facility the team and fans there deserve?
We were sent a rendering and a letter requesting donations last season. I know things are in the works and they have the site chosen and are in the process of trying to move the Penberthy Fields to make room but I'll believe it when I see it. They've been talking about this for years...

I will say that one excellent way to kick the AD in the pants and jumpstart the new facility would be a WCWS appearance or two in the next couple seasons.
BrokenLFarms
S
The architects are in the process of modifying the plans Belton Ag mentioned to accommodate the BOR's Approved Budget number. (Which as you can guess was lower than what was submitted to them)

I'm very curious to see where cuts are made from the original designs...and a little scared to be honest.
The one thing I know for sure is that the lines will be at least 200 (currently 190 at the Aggie Softball Complex). Coach Evans will not budge on that request.

BQ_90
AG
So I thought the latest was that is wasn't moving from it's current location. They just spend a bunch of money to put in those turf fields at Pen. seems odd to tear it up now? Plus I think they're running out of room for everything over there?
pudge
I'm glad to hear that. Saw some drawings last year. Also I know that I was told by our coach that Jo asked questions about our facility -- maybe incorporate some of the things we have.

Yes 190 in the corners is too close. Most fields I've been to in the SEC (Florida, Alabama, and us) are 200 in the corners and 220 in center. LSU's fence is only 5 feet tall, but the field is built into the prevailing wind, so it takes a shot to get it over.

Funny, I was at Arizona a few years ago and their dimensions are 200-220 with 6 foot fence, but with the thinner air and location between buildings on their campus makes it a launching pad more than Aggie Softball Complex. We hit at least 2 balls that I was like, "Crap! Another pop fly!" and then next thing I know we're yelling, "Home run!!" lol
BrokenLFarms
S
LSU did an outstanding job with their softball facilities.

I truly enjoyed seeing most of it last year when the AGGIES traveled there including of course hanging with you guys tailgating outside of the right field fence-next to the ESPN production truck.
pudge
Yes, then you know me because I do remember you. Hope you are around when we come to CS this season. It's going to be weird not driving 4 miles to the game since I've moved away. I'll let you know what we're going to do and as usual you and all Aggies are definitely invited.
phantomf15c
AG
After watching all of the fall season games but one, here's my thoughts on our softball program.

1. Our pitching staff has the potential to be very, very good. Although we didn't play the typical offensive juggernauts this fall our pitchers were dominant in every outing only giving up 3 runs in 56 innings of work. I don't care if you are playing against Bryan Junior High...those are very impressive numbers! The Maroon & White series was their stiffest competition by far and our pitchers were stingy scattering hits against very good hitters (more on this later). I'm not saying our pitchers won't take their bumps and bruises this yearthey are young. Once these kiddos get a full year of SEC seasoning they will emerge wiser, stronger and much tougher to face. The future of this Texas A&M staff is very bright.

2. Our defenders are as good as we've had since 2008. Yes, I'm comparing this 2016 roster defensively with the same team that finished 2nd to ASU with names like Hinshaw, Villarreal, Gibson, Scarborough, Glasco et al. The great thing about this 2016 group is that they are versitle! We don't have many square pegs out there...most of the players I saw can play multiple positions and play them at the SEC+ level. This versitiity means we have depth and we all know that depth is what you need to be successful in a 60+ game season. Our defensive numbers should challenge for tops in the SEC come years end.

3. Offensively we have the potential to surprise SEC & NCAA powerhouse programs in 2016. The reason is POWER! This A&M softball team is loaded with it. From seniors to freshman and everything in between this ball club will have game changing power in the box every inning. This fall we scored 104 runs in only 8 games! Yes, some of these were scored on average to below average pitching. But we scored 13 & 14 runs respectively versus pitching that is very much in line with what we will see from mid-level SEC & Big 12 competition. With Coach Glasco continuing to develop these young kiddos...the sky is absolutely the limit for the Texas A&M offense in 2016 and beyond.

4. Leadership & team chemistry. Possibly the strongest area of this 2016 group. The Seniors lead and the others are forcing competition and positively promoting a competitive roster. Bottomline here: Aggies are being Aggies!

Overall, I think the 2016 team will win some big games/series but lose a few too. This may not be the year that the Aggies earn a trip back to OKC but it isn't a pipe dream either. As usual, it will depend on solid pitching and timely hitting...both of which A&M is very likely to have on any given night! The thought I left the ballpark with tonight is that this 2016 Aggie Softball Team can beat ANYBODY on any given night and just may surprise the SEC & NCAA traditional power programs. Very positive trajectory in all areas of the program!

My advice...go see this team play, you won't be disappointed!
nosoupforyou
AG
I'm enjoying these posts.. Thanks for sharing.

This years team seems good.. The only thing lacking, and just like most all teams, is the insane ace pitcher like Osterman, Finch, etc..

Do you think Show has that potential? Not this year but in time?
Belton Ag
AG
quote:
I'm enjoying these posts.. Thanks for sharing.

This years team seems good.. The only thing lacking, and just like most all teams, is the insane ace pitcher like Osterman, Finch, etc..

Do you think Show has that potential? Not this year but in time?
You're talking about all-time hall of fame level players there. Not just elite, but the most elite of the elite. If Show was anything close to Osterman level, with as good as the bats are in the Ags lineup and as good as they are on defense at times, then this team would be the odds-on favorite to win the WCWS the next four years.

There are only a handful of pitchers in history who have ever shown that kind of potential, so it's unlikely that Show is one of them.

What we can realistically hope for is that she shows the potential to pitch to the level of a few pitchers we've seen over the last few years; Haeger from UF, Whitney Canion of Baylor, or even our own Mel Dumezich. Mel was underrated while she was here because I think the amount of innings she pitched took a toll on her, but at full strength she was absolutely dominant. If Show can be that good, we're probably in for some successful seasons, what with the firepower Coach Evans has assembled.
phantomf15c
AG
Agree with Belton Ag on all points. Remember that Osterman, Finch & Abbot pitched in a different time when the distance was 40'. Moving the rubber back to 43' has had a huge impact on the game. Hitters now have a chance against generational pitchers that they haven't always had. Offensive numbers have skyrocketed since the distance change.

It's going to be fun to watch Show & Harrington develop this year. Both have been very impressive in their short time in Aggieland and both have the potential to lead the Aggies deep into the NCAA tournament. With some timely hitting and solid defense I could see the Aggies knocking on the door to OKC in the next few years.

Good discussion guys
RodTidwell
quote:
Agree with Belton Ag on all points. Remember that Osterman, Finch & Abbot pitched in a different time when the distance was 40'. Moving the rubber back to 43' has had a huge impact on the game. Hitters now have a chance against generational pitchers that they haven't always had. Offensive numbers have skyrocketed since the distance change.
That's not accurate, the pitching distance of 43 has been in use since the early 90's in the NCAA meaning the Finch, Osterman, and Abbot all pitched from 43. I personally believe the difference is that high schoolers since 2010-2011 have been hitting from that distance and come into college more prepared.
phantomf15c
AG
I stand corrected. The pitching distance was moved to 43' back in 1994. It wasn't adopted into Texas High School ranks until around 2011. So yes, Finch, Osterman, Abbot et al all threw from 43'.

AmandaScarborough
AG
quote:

That's not accurate, the pitching distance of 43 has been in use since the early 90's in the NCAA meaning the Finch, Osterman, and Abbot all pitched from 43. I personally believe the difference is that high schoolers since 2010-2011 have been hitting from that distance and come into college more prepared.
Occasionally I will check into the softball forums, and this time I saw a good conversation going on so I wanted to give my opinion on the pitching distance conversation!

I do think that hitting from 43 ft makes a difference for the hitters since they have 3 more feet to see the ball. So yes, I agree that because of the distance, it has benefited the hitters. But because all of the offensive statistics have been increasing every single year, this topic has been something that I have been thinking about a little deeper.

When I was a senior in high school I pitched from 40, and then when I got to A&M, we moved back to 43 ft. It helped me as a hitter, and I also felt it helped me as a pitcher because my ball was able to move more with the extra distance. I pitched at 40ft in 12U, 14U, 16U, 18U and in high school. Now, things are MUCH different with girls throwing from 43ft in 14U-18U and in HS. 10U is 35ft. 12U is 40ft. So during their MAJOR development stages where they should be working on growing a solid foundation, they are just having to figure out ways to get the ball to the plate because their distance is constantly changing in the most important years. Advantage: hitter. Pitching is difficult at a young age because it's just a flat out hard movement, but it's also even more difficult if every year or every other year you are having to change distances.

So while I think hitters are the best that we've seen in a while across the nation, I think that it is because of the lack of development of the pitchers across the nation. They are being rushed to 43ft while they are not strong enough and not developed enough to learn to actually PITCH from that distance. A lot of the girls at this age probably do not feel like they are strong enough to get the ball to the plate, where they are more worried about throwing the ball there instead of actually learning to PITCH. Those younger ages, 10-13, are the most critical ages to develop a pitcher's foundation and mechanics. Now, those once younger pitchers who were forced to move back at earlier stages in their pitching careers are trickling up to the college ranks and the hitters are used to hitting from 43ft, while the pitchers are just not as developed. Also, at some degree, they are not as confident, because they have been "hit" ever since they were younger and many of them, since they were moved back, did not feel what it was like to actually DOMINATE hitters from a shorter distance.

There is so much to be said at getting comfortable in the pitching circle and learning to WIN and learning to take control of the game. Right now, at all parts of our game, the advantage goes to the hitter because the rules have set hitters up for more success so that more runs are scored and it makes the game more "appealing" to a fan tuning in on TV. And also, it is making the game longer where an average game does not easily fit into a 2-hour time slot.
Gabe Bock
AG
quote:
quote:

Occasionally I will check into the softball forums, and this time I saw a good conversation going on so I wanted to give my opinion on the pitching distance conversation!

I do think that hitting from 43 ft makes a difference for the hitters since they have 3 more feet to see the ball. So yes, I agree that because of the distance is has benefited the hitters. But because all of the offensive statistics have been increasing every single year, this topic has been something that I have been thinking about to a little deeper.

When I was a senior in high school I pitched from 40, and then when I got to A&M, we moved back to 43 ft. It helped me as a hitter, and I also felt it helped me as a pitcher because my ball was able to move more with the extra distance. I pitched at 40ft in 12U, 14U, 16U, 18U and in high school. Now, things are MUCH different with girls throwing from 43ft in 14U-18U and in HS. 10U is 35ft. 12U is 40ft. So during their MAJOR development stages where they should be working on growing a solid foundation, they are just having to figure out ways to get the ball to the plate because their distance is constantly changing in the most important years. Advantage: hitter. Pitching is difficult at a young age because it's just a flat out hard movement but it's also even more difficult if every year or every other year you are having to change distances.

So while I think hitters are the best that we've seen in a while across the nation, I think that it is because of the lack of development of the pitchers across the nation. They are being rushed to 43ft while they are not strong enough and not developed enough to learn to actually PITCH from that distance. A lot of the girls at this age probably do not feel like they are strong enough to get the ball to the plate where they are more worried about throwing the ball there instead of actually learning to PITCH. Those younger ages, 10-13, are the most critical ages to develop a pitchers foundation and mechanics. Now, those once younger pitchers who were forced to move back at earlier stages in their pitching careers are trickling up to the college ranks and the hitters are used to hitting from 43ft, while they pitchers are just not as developed. Also, at some degree, they are not as confident, because they have been "hit" ever since they were younger and many of them since they were moved back did not feel what it was like to actually DOMINATE hitters from a shorter distance.

There is so much to be said at getting comfortable in the pitching circle and learning to WIN and learning to take control of the game. Right now, at all parts of our game, the advantage goes to the hitter because the rules have set hitters up for more success so that more runs are scared and it makes the game more "appealing" to a fan tuning in on TV. And also, it is making the game longer where an average game does not easily fit into a 2-hour time slot.

I can verify that this is THE Amanda Scarborough.
pudge
I know her well enough to know this is Amanda!! Her philosophy in pitching and details listed is spot on target. I agree 100%
BrokenLFarms
S
Gabe,

I vote TexAgs adopts a "Hall of Fame" tag for all THE Royalty now on this board.

haha
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.