Best Aggie Baseball player ever in MLB

7,030 Views | 34 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by Silver Taps
Haricougar
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I know it was a long time ago and I never saw him play but I think it's Wally Moon. 12 years in the majors, three time all star, rookie of the year.
Sex Panther
AG
Unfortunately I'd probably have to say Knoblauch. Hopefully in ten years Wacha or someone else can have that undisputed honor.

Wally Moon is the greatest unibrow in Aggie history though.
45-70Ag
AG
Knoblauch is or at least was really well known. Not for anything good, with the whole ball between the legs thing.
Goose06
AG
quote:
Knoblauch is or at least was really well known. Not for anything good, with the whole ball between the legs thing.

Wasn't it his throwing that he was known for?
jja79
AG
Wally Moon or Davy Johnson.
jkag89
quote:
quote:

Wasn't it his throwing that he was known for?
He developed the yips when when trying to make a throw. Off the field legal issues as well as possible PED use have also overshadowed what was a very solid 12 year MLB career (4 time All-Star, Rookie of the Year, a couple of Silver Slugger Awards, Gold Glove, member of 4 World Series Championships). His heads up deking of the Braves Lonnie Smith probably prevented him from scoring in Game 7 of the '91 World Series allowing the Twins to win in 1-0 in 10 innings.
Sex Panther
AG
Yeah lets go with Johnson instead of Knoblauch. I know the criteria was best player, but their stats were pretty comparable, and Johnson had a very impressive Managerial career as well. Plus he wasn't you know... a psychopath.
Mr.Ackar07
quote:
Yeah lets go with Johnson instead of Knoblauch. I know the criteria was best player, but their stats were pretty comparable, and Johnson had a very impressive Managerial career as well. Plus he wasn't you know... a psychopath.

Plus Johnson has a chance to be elected into the Hall of Fame on next summer's Expansion Era Committee ballot for enshrinement in 2017. The only other managerial competition on that ballot should be Jim Leyland.
MMantle
AG
Doug Rau pitched 9 years for the Dodgers, best pitcher?

RR
Mr.Ackar07
quote:
Doug Rau pitched 9 years for the Dodgers, best pitcher?

RR
Depending on metrics, Henry Rip Collins (1920-1931) may have been better.
jja79
AG
Davey Johnson had a Brady Anderson year in 1973. He hit more than 10 HR 5 times in 13 years but in '73 he hit 43.
Buford T. Justice
AG
Pennington or Ruggiano
tylang06
Knoblauch's personal issues aside... He was a 4 time all-star, 4 time World Series champ, and won the AL Rookie of the year.

That's a fairly accomplished career. Moreso than anyone else we've had make it to the Bigs.
Sex Panther
AG
quote:
Davey Johnson had a Brady Anderson year in 1973. He hit more than 10 HR 5 times in 13 years but in '73 he hit 43.

Wow really? I wonder what he was on. That's a pretty glaring anomaly.
W
AG
the 1973 Atlanta Braves...being surrounded by Hank Aaron, Dusty Baker, and Darrell Evans in the batting order...was a pretty good place to be in 1973...and Davey took advantage of it. That was also his first season in the "launching pad" aka Fulton-Country Stadium. 26 of his 43 HR's were hit in Atlanta
Yell Practice
Overall Wally Moon would be hard to beat. He could really hit that baseball.
jja79
AG
That was a great lineup but not a very good team. Darrell Evans went from 19 HR in 1972 to 41 in '73 but he and Johnson were the only ones who went crazy that year.

Fulton County Stadium opened in 1966 when the Braves moved from Milwaukee so it had been the home park for quite a while before that '73 season.
Shane Minks
AG
Gonna be Michael Wacha before it's all said and done. Already has NLCS MVP on his resume.
W
AG
one note...Atlanta moved the fences in 10 feet prior to the 1973 season -- perhaps to help the Hammer reach 715 before the end of the season -- which he almost did
safety guy
AG
Knoblauch. The bad thing is that we have had so few all star level players in the majors in the last 40 years. I chuckle when people say we are or have been a baseball power. Now, we have had good teams and players, just not many GREAT teams or players.
Yell Practice

Who is the Best Aggie Baseball pitcher ever in MLB ??
you moran
AG
quote:

Who is the Best Aggie Baseball pitcher ever in MLB ??
The names have already been mentioned in this thread but of those who have completed their careers, I would give the edge to Doug Rau over Rip Collins. It's one of those two for sure. However, I agree with Shane that it will likely be Michael Wacha when it is all said and done. He is off to a great start. Just stay healthy.
you moran
AG
And Wacha has already done more in the post-season than either Rau or Collins.
Yell Practice
Wacha already has 10 wins this season. "He is off to a great start. Just stay healthy."
W
AG
should make his first all-star team in 2 weeks
Foxo
AG
quote:
I most remember Johnson as a scrappy guard on the basketball team.
67walkon
Shared this before but Wally and his wife lived across the hall in Splinter Village after the war when my dad came back to finish his degree. Apartment D-4-2 old barracks. HOT.
He played pitch with me at 5. Horn Toad running every where. Really nice man. He was Rookie of the Year in '53 or '54 and replaced the legendary Enus Slaughter in the Cardinals outfield. Saw him several times over the years. Nice memory. Could run and hit.
94chem
Sorry if you don't like the answer, but it's Knoblauch. I know, it doesn't make me happy either. But the other guys aren't really close. 407 SB, 320+ doubles. Hope we can say it's Wacha in 5 years when he's sitting there with 110 victories, 1100 K's, and 2 Cy Youngs!
Agsncws
AG
I agree that its Chuck and Doug Rau to date with Wacha on the cusp of surpassing them both with time and good fortune. Beau Bell and Emory Rigney deserve mention in this discussion as hitters. Mark Thurmond deserves mention as a pitcher. Their careers were nothing to sneeze at.

aeon-ag
Wally Moon hit the famous moon shots out of the LA Coliseum. His mother in law, Zola Knowles lives in Bryan at 100 plus yoa.
Tanya 93
It is going to be interesting to see Wacha for the next ten years.

He is adored here.

And a whole lot of his fans are kids. They are, hopefully, going to grow up with him as Cardinal.

That being said, I finally pulled the trigger and bought myself a Molina shirt last night at Busch.
Yell Practice
"It is going to be interesting to see Wacha for the next ten years."

Yes! Best of Luck to Michael. Gig Em!!
Yell Practice
Michael Wacha continued to throw like one of the best pitchers in baseball on Friday, holding the Padres to just one run over seven innings in a 2-1 loss.

Wacha struck out six and walked just one. Only a Jedd Gyorko solo homer in the seventh inning prevented Wacha from the shutout. It also prevented him from picking up his 11th win of the year, as the homer tied the game at 1-1. With a 2.66 ERA, 1.09 WHIP and a 10-3 record, he's a near lock for the All-Star Game and should be in the Cy Young discussion at the end of the season assuming he stays healthy. Jul 4 - 12:58 AM
AgAttorney2010
AG
lol.... on google it says Knoblauch played for the university of texas...

https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&rlz=1C1KMZB_enUS514US514&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=chuck%20knoblauch
Yell Practice
Knoblauch - tu -
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.