Boomer White 2015 Season

5,994 Views | 45 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by Hop
Hop
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Staff
AG
quote:
Try again, the average student debt leaving Vandy is $18,605. That puts Vanderbilt below the average student loan debt nationwide for students who borrow, which is $26,600.

They have made decreasing that number the main focus in their fundraising efforts and have been very successful at it.

Yes, because of the significant use of need-based scholarships!!!! And they make sure every baseball player qualifies for the EXTRA money. That was the point all along that you seem to be debating. Vanderbilt doles out $42,000,000 in hardship scholarships a year. That is an amazing amount. Again, it is their business model. Get corporate partners to contribute to a "gift fund" and subsidize the people that can't afford the tuition which basically pays the fixed costs...then make the big money on the rich clientele that don't qualify for needs-based funding and want junior to get a Vanderbilt degree.

More power to them, and in the process they found a way to gain a huge competitive advantage in a partial scholarship sport.
spanky
AG
quote:
Also, what women's sport are we going to add to balance the additional scholarships? How much will that cost?

NCAA women's beach volleyball. Let Coach Greene coach it.
jt2hunt
AG
Spanky subsidizes beach volleyball!
Agsroll
AG
quote:
quote:
Incredible? I think the biggest scam in this country is private schooling.

Sure you do.
jt16
AG
quote:
quote:
Private schools like Vanderbilt who have need based scholarships have an advantage, at a massive cost to the university..but they don't have an advantage over University of Virginia (who they are playing tonight) who also has no-loan financial assistance (at a massive cost to the taxpayer).

Once again, these are the schools with an actual large advantage:
http://www.usnews.com/education/best-colleges/paying-for-college/articles/2014/09/15/colleges-and-universities-that-claim-to-meet-full-financial-need

OBVIOUSLY, this is not done primarily as a "loophole" for athletes. The resources that Vandy has dedicated for trying to keep their students from having crippling student loans out of college is incredible.

Incredible? I think the biggest scam in this country is private schooling. It doesn't cost a school $80,000/yr to teach your basic undergraduate curriculum. Those scholarships are just part of their business model. Let's don;t act like Vanderbilt is doing something gracious here, because it is their outrageous pricing structure that forces them to subsidize the cost to a portion of its clientele in the first place.

Or they don't cram 500 students in a class taught by an advisor the way most public schools do. Do you know the economics of educating someone with top notch talent and research opportunities? I don't so I have no idea if it's outrageous or not.
threeanout
AG
Houston Memorial kids don't transfer for financial reasons and Schlossnagle will never sign another Memorial player.
swimmerbabe11
quote:
Houston Memorial kids don't transfer for financial reasons and Schlossnagle will never sign another Memorial player.

Where do you get the second part? Hasn't heard about any animosity at all.
Hop
Staff
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:
Private schools like Vanderbilt who have need based scholarships have an advantage, at a massive cost to the university..but they don't have an advantage over University of Virginia (who they are playing tonight) who also has no-loan financial assistance (at a massive cost to the taxpayer).

http://www.usnews.com/education/best-colleges/paying-for-college/articles/2014/09/15/colleges-and-universities-that-claim-to-meet-full-financial-need

OBVIOUSLY, this is not done primarily as a "loophole" for athletes. The resources that Vandy has dedicated for trying to keep their students from having crippling student loans out of college is incredible.

Incredible? I think the biggest scam in this country is private schooling. It doesn't cost a school $80,000/yr to teach your basic undergraduate curriculum. Those scholarships are just part of their business model. Let's don;t act like Vanderbilt is doing something gracious here, because it is their outrageous pricing structure that forces them to subsidize the cost to a portion of its clientele in the first place.

Or they don't cram 500 students in a class taught by an advisor the way most public schools do. Do you know the economics of educating someone with top notch talent and research opportunities? I don't so I have no idea if it's outrageous or not.

GA's generally teach your standard freshman courses that takes no expertise or specialization to administer. Calculus 101 and Chemistry 101 shouldn't be taught by an expensive world class researcher and I assume even private schools use GA's or entry level profs to do that as well...and you don;t need classes of 20 to administer these courses. Many schools now teach these freshman core courses online at a very low cost anyway.
tylang06
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

GA's generally teach your standard freshman courses that takes no expertise or specialization to administer. Calculus 101 and Chemistry 101 shouldn't be taught by an expensive world class researcher and I assume even private schools use GA's or entry level profs to do that as well...and you don;t need classes of 20 to administer these courses. Many schools now teach these freshman core courses online at a very low cost anyway.

Haven't y'all figured this out yet? The price is astronomical for average Joe so that he/she funds the scholarships of all these others...

Tongue in cheek, but that has to be part of the reason education is getting out of control.
threeanout
AG
Swimmer, he signed three Memorial players from 2011-2013. Only Boomer stayed through his sophomore year before transferring. Pennington transferred after his freshman year and another kid who I believe was in Pennington's class hung it up after his freshman year.
Tango Mike
quote:
quote:
quote:

Solid facts to back up your position. There is a huge difference between a GA and an Assistant Professor, btw. One of the things accrediting bodies look at is the number of terminal degree teachers compared to MS/MA level teachers. So, unless you want a school that isn't accredited, you need even freshman level classes taught by academic experts.

Also, you didn't provide any facts to show the economics of running a private school and why it's the biggest scam in the country. Why do you care, anyway? Private schools are paid for by the people using the service. If they didn't like the service, they wouldn't pay for it.
Hop
Staff
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Solid facts to back up your position. There is a huge difference between a GA and an Assistant Professor, btw. One of the things accrediting bodies look at is the number of terminal degree teachers compared to MS/MA level teachers. So, unless you want a school that isn't accredited, you need even freshman level classes taught by academic experts.

Also, you didn't provide any facts to show the economics of running a private school and why it's the biggest scam in the country. Why do you care, anyway? Private schools are paid for by the people using the service. If they didn't like the service, they wouldn't pay for it.

I'm not going to put 40 hours of research into every discussion point on a message board. I can tell you that the tuition and expenses for a year at Vanderbilt is between 65-70k (I did do about 5 minutes of research) and a high level state research school like A&M or TExas, that number is about half. That suggests me (anecdotally) that Vandy's prices are market-based and not cost-based.

As to challenging why I care....because this is a discussion board and the topic was the inherent advantages of private schools over public schools in funding partial scholarship sports. As someone invested in A&M baseball, I care that Dallas Baptist is taking quality baseball players from the pool that A&M could access because they offer fully-funded scholarships that most state schools can't.

Given the topic of this thread, why do you care?

Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.