Boomer White 2015 Season

5,992 Views | 45 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by Hop
Post removed:
by user
Captain Pablo
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Sandman98
AG
Had to sit out due to transfer rules.
Post removed:
by user
Justice Beaver
AG
quote:
Thanks. Delete thread staph
And ban user while you're at it
94chem
Boomer transferred solely for economic reasons and probably loves TCU as much as Hyman. He is looking forward to playing for the good guys, though, and I hope he plugs right in to the lineup.
jja79
AG
I'll bite. What economic reasons. For the past 10 days there has been ample discussion here of the advantages TCU has over us when it comes to economics of playing baseball.
swimmerbabe11
A) it wasn't a financial decision

B) TCU's academic scholarships seriously don't bridge the gap between our tuition cost and A&M's.
Captain Pablo
AG
quote:
Boomer transferred solely for economic reasons and probably loves TCU as much as Hyman. He is looking forward to playing for the good guys, though, and I hope he plugs right in to the lineup.
zagman
AG
I thought he transferred because he wanted a degree from Texas A&M.
Full Speed Ahead - Fire At Will - Gig'em

"I have never enjoyed any position more than being president of Texas A&M University." Robert Gates 11/08/06
Hop
Staff
AG
It is not a coincidence that several private schools that were historically non-factors in college baseball are now nationally-elite programs. Yes, these programs utilize academic hardship scholarships in conjunction with athletic scholarships to completely fund tuition for their top players.

Does anybody really think Dallas Baptist went from an NAIA program into a a Top 10 NCAA program without utilizing hardship academic scholarships to completely fund school costs? Please...
BoerneGator
AG
So, the system's being gamed. Who'd a thunk it?
jt2hunt
AG
Dude,

Who would want to live in the awesome cllimate of Dallas, Texas during baseball season.
Sex Panther
AG
quote:

I've been told from pretty reliable sources it's because he wants to be an Aggie
zagman
AG
The way to stop the private school advantage is to allow 18 scholarships which is what baseball should be. The SEC should take the lead and push for the extra ships. Baseball is becoming a contributing sport with bigger stadiums, larger crowds and TV money. This would also get more kids to choose college instead of going pro.
Full Speed Ahead - Fire At Will - Gig'em

"I have never enjoyed any position more than being president of Texas A&M University." Robert Gates 11/08/06
tylang06
quote:
The way to stop the private school advantage is to allow 18 scholarships which is what baseball should be. The SEC should take the lead and push for the extra ships. Baseball is becoming a contributing sport with bigger stadiums, larger crowds and TV money. This would also get more kids to choose college instead of going pro.

This
Captain Pablo
AG
quote:

What is a "contributing sport"? Money? Don't we lose money on baseball?

Even so, baseball is mostly an afterthought at most schools. I doubt 20 schools even average 3000 people.per game
Captain Pablo
AG
Also, what women's sport are we going to add to balance the additional scholarships? How much will that cost?
jt16
AG
quote:
quote:

Even so, baseball is mostly an afterthought at most schools. I doubt 20 schools even average 3000 people.per game

I believe a&m baseball "contributes" money. The sec would dominate even more if additional scholarships were granted since the attendance in baseball is really anchored by sec schools. The big 10 would probably fight any scholarship increase, assuming they care that much.
Captain Pablo
AG
What do you mean A&M baseball "contributes money"?

I mean, yeah, whatever money brought in by the program "contributes" revenue to the athletic department. The same could be said of all sports. Track, equestrian, tennis.... they all "contribute money"

The issue is whether baseball operates at a profit or loss. What is greater, revenues brought in by the program, or expenses paid out on behalf of the program?

Someone has posted this information before, and as I recall, baseball loses money... same as just about every other college baseball program in the country
DanHo2010
AG
SEC baseball is about to be a profitable enterprise because of the SEC Network. The conference absolutely needs to use its leverage to increase scholarship limits.
Captain Pablo
AG
quote:
SEC baseball is about to be a profitable enterprise because of the SEC Network. The conference absolutely needs to use its leverage to increase scholarship limits.

Perhaps it will become profitable. We'll see.

But anyway what women's sport will A&M add if this happens. Not what you WANT to see, but what soort, as a practical matter, will A&M add?
Mr.Ackar07
quote:
But anyway what women's sport will A&M add if this happens. Not what you WANT to see, but what soort, as a practical matter, will A&M add?

Gymnastics
dirkjones
AG
In my opinion, baseball should have all 25 players on 100% scholarship, just like football and basketball. Playing 4-5 games and week and then practice the other days is extremely challenging for a student baseball player and they should be rewarded for their time.
It will be interesting to see how the new NCAA rules and stipends will affect baseball. Now if an incoming freshman is given a 50% ride his first year, that amount cannot be reduced in the following years. He also cannot be eliminated from the roster due to performance issues.
DanHo2010
AG
I think politically you could argue for a couple of scholarships added to one or two women's sports to balance it out, e.g. 2 to softball and one to soccer or something like that. I don't necessarily think that 18 baseball scholarships is achievable in the near future, but 15 is, especially since the limit was 13 in the early 90s and was dropped by 10% to arrive at the current 11.7. You can't argue that baseball is in worse financial shape than in 1990.
Captain Pablo
AG
quote:
quote:

Gymnastics

And I don't see that happening. Byrne said it would never happen under his watch, and I see absolutely ZERO interest from the current administration. Gymnastics is an incredibly expensive sport to operate, and would be incredibly expensive to start up. I don't see A&M adding gymnastics. But, maybe I'm wrong. Bookmark this page and we'll revisit in 10 years. Could be interesting
Captain Pablo
AG
quote:
I think politically you could argue for a couple of scholarships added to one or two women's sports to balance it out, e.g. 2 to softball and one to soccer or something like that. I don't necessarily think that 18 baseball scholarships is achievable in the near future, but 15 is, especially since the limit was 13 in the early 90s and was dropped by 10% to arrive at the current 11.7. You can't argue that baseball is in worse financial shape than in 1990.

That might be doable. Wouldn't mind seeing it happen

Of course, it would require a national consensus on what women's sports to add scholarships to. There will be fierce resistance from smaller schools, and northern schools
ensign_beedrill
AG
Rifle. We need a rifle team. We'd kill.
swimmerbabe11
quote:
quote:

http://fs.ncaa.org/Docs/stats/baseball_RB/2015/Attend.pdf

If you round up, there are 21 schools and 30 over 2,500
swimmerbabe11
Private schools like Vanderbilt who have need based scholarships have an advantage, at a massive cost to the university..but they don't have an advantage over University of Virginia (who they are playing tonight) who also has no-loan financial assistance (at a massive cost to the taxpayer).

Once again, these are the schools with an actual large advantage:
http://www.usnews.com/education/best-colleges/paying-for-college/articles/2014/09/15/colleges-and-universities-that-claim-to-meet-full-financial-need

OBVIOUSLY, this is not done primarily as a "loophole" for athletes. The resources that Vandy has dedicated for trying to keep their students from having crippling student loans out of college is incredible.
Captain Pablo
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:

http://fs.ncaa.org/Docs/stats/baseball_RB/2015/Attend.pdf

If you round up, there are 21 schools and 30 over 2,500

Well if you don't round up, there's 18...
swimmerbabe11
Don't be nitpicky now! I couldn't find 2015 figures right off the bat, but from what I've understood its trending way up.
Hop
Staff
AG
quote:
Private schools like Vanderbilt who have need based scholarships have an advantage, at a massive cost to the university..but they don't have an advantage over University of Virginia (who they are playing tonight) who also has no-loan financial assistance (at a massive cost to the taxpayer).

Once again, these are the schools with an actual large advantage:
http://www.usnews.com/education/best-colleges/paying-for-college/articles/2014/09/15/colleges-and-universities-that-claim-to-meet-full-financial-need

OBVIOUSLY, this is not done primarily as a "loophole" for athletes. The resources that Vandy has dedicated for trying to keep their students from having crippling student loans out of college is incredible.

Incredible? I think the biggest scam in this country is private schooling. It doesn't cost a school $80,000/yr to teach your basic undergraduate curriculum. Those scholarships are just part of their business model. Let's don;t act like Vanderbilt is doing something gracious here, because it is their outrageous pricing structure that forces them to subsidize the cost to a portion of its clientele in the first place.
swimmerbabe11
Try again, the average student debt leaving Vandy is $18,605. That puts Vanderbilt below the average student loan debt nationwide for students who borrow, which is $26,600.

They have made decreasing that number the main focus in their fundraising efforts and have been very successful at it.
Sandman98
AG
Like any product or service sold by a private business, an undergraduate curriculum is worth what someone is willing to pay.

There are a lot of smart people choosing to be scammed by Vandy.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.