Any news or pics of softball complex plans?

5,756 Views | 31 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by spanky
spanky
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Kind of remembering seeing some pics before...would this be something the regents vote on in the near future?
Farmer1906
AG

ratfacemcdougal
Would be nice to see that happen
spanky
AG
Was this the only option or was there a pie in the sky proposal and a more modest one?
rc_cat
I just hope they don't ruin the already lacking game day atmosphere by selling off a bunch of club seats and suites whose owners won't even attend most of the games. There's a core group of season ticket holders year after year (not counting the parents - that group obviously rotates) - I would guess that a lot of them are not the big money Ags who would pay for premium seating.

I also hope they don't price the casual fan out of the game like they've done for other sports - I'm thinking of all the various softball teams that show up for a lot of home games - even when the softball team is doing well, a full house is a rare thing.

BQ_90
AG
Look like the suites are at the top above the seating. My guess is capacity will increase so we can host sec tourney so seats shouldn't be an issue. Seats and and consessions will go up, when haven't they when we've upgraded something, loyalty will be meaningless, priority points will determine seating. At least that was the Olsen model

Buford T. Justice
AG
quote:
I just hope they don't ruin the already lacking game day atmosphere by selling off a bunch of club seats and suites whose owners won't even attend most of the games. There's a core group of season ticket holders year after year (not counting the parents - that group obviously rotates) - I would guess that a lot of them are not the big money Ags who would pay for premium seating.

I also hope they don't price the casual fan out of the game like they've done for other sports - I'm thinking of all the various softball teams that show up for a lot of home games - even when the softball team is doing well, a full house is a rare thing.

Respectfully, there is not a market for club or suite seating at softball. Never will be either.
Nor is there a pie in the sky model, because there is no market to pay for it. It is what it is.
TXAggie2011
AG
Based on other softball fields, there will certainly be some suites, just a small handful, although I wouldn't many of them nor a "club" section.

quote:
Nor is there a pie in the sky model, because there is no market to pay for it. It is what it is.

I'm not sure what this means.
DannyO
AG
6 suites with 12 seats in each, 200 club seats, 2500 stadium chair seating, 1300 berm and SRO

TXAggie2011
AG
quote:
6 suites with 12 seats in each, 200 club seats, 2500 stadium chair seating, 1300 berm and SRO

Whether or not we have the demand for that kind of stadium, do we even have room for that?
BQ_90
AG
well I thought they where going to move the softball stadium on the other side of Ellis Field where the T&F stuff is? Then T&F is going over to Penberthy
ratfacemcdougal
The stadium will fit in the current location. The scoreboard, however, needs to be moved more toward center. A lot of homeruns will be heading right for it.
redd38
AG
quote:
well I thought they where going to move the softball stadium on the other side of Ellis Field where the T&F stuff is? Then T&F is going over to Penberthy
The current track is going to remain, even after the new one is built. The old track will be where athletes warm up before their event.
Colt98
AG
My daughter was told that it was being built behind current field where penburthy softball fields are bt new weight room and current track
BQ_90
AG
So it's staying put, I thought on the master plan they where building a new building on that corner and softball was moving.

So then now it's new track at penberthy and softball stays in place.

So where is penberthy going?
Farmer1906
AG
They have extended the rec sports fields and what not further west.
BQ_90
AG
you can't, the Bush Library is there. The tennis courts are north and George Bush drive is to the east. My guess is they'll have to move all of rec sports over to, well crap they're outta land unless they go over by the equestrian center or in front of Bonfire Memorial.
nereus
AG
There was definitely a master plan that had the softball stadium moving at one point because I remember that too. I guess they changed their mind because that rendering posted by aggie1906 is definitely with it in its current location.
redd38
AG
The softball stadium has to move because the current stadium is smaller than NCAA standards and apparently it can't increase in size in the current location. So they were going to move it down to the other end of Tom Chandler Rd (so the corner of Tom Chandler and Penberthy instead of the corner of Tom Chandler and Olsen). Not sure if that's still the case. The intermural fields that are lost due to the softball stadium and the new track will move across George Bush (directly across from where the newer intermural fields are now).

Again, not sure if all that is still the plan.
nereus
AG
By "stadium is smaller than NCAA standards" are you referring to the fence being 10 foot shorter at the corners than it is for the WCWS or is there more to than just that. It sure looks to me on Google Maps that there is an extra 10 feet there that could be used before it would get to the side walk on either side. I don't think they need the second fence there, but I'm not really up on NCAA field standards for softball. Could you elaborate more?
rc_cat
The stadium definitely needs to push out to allow for better whatever-you-call-it that defines the difference in the levels of the rows in front of you. Currently I can sit on the top row and have my view blocked by a tall man wearing a hat 5 rows down (If there's a tall man in the row/seat directly in front of me, then I may as well not even be at the game). I"m not sure there's enough room between the soccer stands and the softball stadium to do that.
Farmer1906
AG
quote:
The softball stadium has to move because the current stadium is smaller than NCAA standards and apparently it can't increase in size in the current location. So they were going to move it down to the other end of Tom Chandler Rd (so the corner of Tom Chandler and Penberthy instead of the corner of Tom Chandler and Olsen). Not sure if that's still the case. The intermural fields that are lost due to the softball stadium and the new track will move across George Bush (directly across from where the newer intermural fields are now).

Again, not sure if all that is still the plan.
I hope that is not the plan.
nereus
AG
Wouldn't that mean the stands need to be steeper, not pushed out?
BrokenLFarms
S
The AGGIE Softball stadium really needs a new location IMO.
Currently we have 190 down the lines.
OKC are 200 down the lines and 220 to CF.

The seating capacities mentioned above would put us near the top of conf, trailing only Bama. With the direction this sport is heading, building it right will pay off.

Softball on ESPN/SEC network this year beat every sport except football in ratings!
Yes that includes men's college basketball and baseball.
Having a showcase venue can take full advantage of those audiences.
redd38
AG
Here is the master plan from a couple years ago... it talks about the problem with the current stadium and images of where everything is going to go.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/3qyoy7sor82amwj/Athletics.pdf?dl=0
mdanyc03
AG
quote:

The seating capacities mentioned above would put us near the top of conf, trailing only Bama. With the direction this sport is heading, building it right will pay off.

Softball on ESPN/SEC network this year beat every sport except football in ratings!
People keep saying this....

Source?
rc_cat
quote:
Wouldn't that mean the stands need to be steeper, not pushed out?
Steeper, yes - and - I am not an architect, engineer, designer or whatever and I did not stay at a Holiday Inn Express - but I would think that you would have to expand the stadium out in order to get more height/distance between the rows - otherwise it would be incredibly steep and the rows would almost be on top of each other. Or - it could be my brain doesn't work that way and I have no idea what I'm picturing.
spanky
AG
quote:
quote:

People keep saying this....

Source?

Actually, folks have been saying some softball games outdrew some baseball. This is the first time I've heard softball beat men's bball as well.
aggietoolman
AG
The document that redd38 posted is the latest that I had seen. Softball was to be relocated to the corner of Tom Chandler and Penberthy. You can see that outlined on page 31 of that pdf. That pdf is about 2 years old, but things could have changed in that time.
Chuck Gay
AG
There is no way that softball outdrew basketball in TV ratings. I'm not dissing the athletes that play softball. I have a lot of respect for them. That just doesn't make sense given everything I think I know about college athletics.
MidTnAg
AG
True. No way softball outdrew KY and the rest of the SEC basketball teams.
BrokenLFarms
S
To correct a few comment mistakes I made the other day regarding the softball ratings vs men's basketball and baseball ratings.

SEC softball did beat out SEC baseball on the SEC network. However, vs Men's Basketball on the SEC network, softball did NOT better their ratings but were a close second.
How softball did vs men's basketball on the main ESPN, I'm not sure.

When you guys started questioning I went and clarified and found out I was mistaken.

My source is one of the Executive Coordinating Producers at the SEC Network. She told me this info when I was at the SEC Network facility in Charlotte on May 9th. (SEC network and ESPNU share studios)

I was just sent a link to this info as well.
The WCWS Championship Series viewership bettered the CWS Championship Series viewership by 31%

WCWS viewership betters CWS
spanky
AG
quote:
To correct a few comment mistakes I made the other day regarding the softball ratings vs men's basketball and baseball ratings.

SEC softball did beat out SEC baseball on the SEC network. However, vs Men's Basketball on the SEC network, softball did NOT better their ratings but were a close second.
How softball did vs men's basketball on the main ESPN, I'm not sure.

When you guys started questioning I went and clarified and found out I was mistaken.

My source is one of the Executive Coordinating Producers at the SEC Network. She told me this info when I was at the SEC Network facility in Charlotte on May 9th. (SEC network and ESPNU share studios)

I was just sent a link to this info as well.
The WCWS Championship Series viewership bettered the CWS Championship Series viewership by 31%

WCWS viewership betters CWS

Those championship series numbers are a little misleading considering a small private school made the finals. I bet LSU-Florida would have beat that softball matchup of Florida-Michigan
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.