Hypothetical

1,668 Views | 5 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by Luke The Drifter
lightningcat12
How long do you want to ignore this user?
For as long as I've been watching the college baseball tournament I've hated the way the tourny is played out. Baseball is played generally in 3 game series, and I've always wished we could have a set up like this for our playoffs

You could start June 1st with seeds just like the ncaa basketball tourny higher seed gets to host. Obviously there's a reason this isn't done, what is it? Travel cost, too long and drawn out (not enough interest throughout sports watchers)?

Round 1-64 teams, June 1-3
Round 2-32 teams, June 6-8
Round 3-16 teams, June 11-13
Round 4-8 teams, June 16-18
Omaha
Round 5-4 teams, June 21-23
Round 6-2 teams, June 25-27
W
AG
there has definitely been talk about moving to three weekends of 3-game series in the postseason. Would definitely be better for attendance.

that would seem to favor the top seeds and limit some of the regional round upsets.

in the 4-team regionals, frequently teams "get help" in knocking out the 1-seed home team. If 3-game series are played then the road team / underdog team is going to have to pin both losses on the home team themselves
BQ_90
AG
honestly I like that idea better than the current system. but I'm still a fan of the old 6 team regional.
Turk Turkleton
AG
I like the idea, especially given that it would feel a little more like March Madness which could be good for college baseball.

But...even though pro starting pitchers are used to 4 days between starts I think it's asking a lot for college kids to go from 6 days between starts during the season down to 4 days for potentially up to six starts.
tylang06
No way Omaha gives up 8 teams coming there and 2 full weeks worth of revenue related to 8 teams being there. If you staggered the 8 team round to give them all 8 teams, it would be more realistic.
Luke The Drifter
AG
Using this year's teams and seedings, the weekends would look something like this. Obviously, the field and match-ups would be different using the hypothetical format, but we'll use the 2015 field as illustration.

Regional (Opening) Weekend, May 29-31

UC-Bakersfield at UCLA
Maryland at Ole Miss

San Diego State at UC-Santa Barbara
Virginia at USC

St. John's at Oklahoma State
Oral Roberts at Arkansas

Canisius at Missouri State
Oregon at Iowa

Florida International at Miami, Fla.
Columbia at East Carolina

Virginia Commonwealth at Dallas Baptist
Texas at Oregon State

Mercer at Florida State
Auburn at College of Charleston

Florida A&M at Florida
South Florida at Florida Atlantic

Lehigh at LSU
Tulane at UNC-Wilmington

Houston Baptist at Houston
UL-Layfayette at Rice

Texas Southern at Texas A&M
California at Coastal Carolina

Sacred Heart at TCU
Stony Brook at North Carolina State

Ohio U. at Illinois
Wright State at Notre Dame

Lipscomb at Vanderbilt
Indiana at Radford

Pepperdine at Cal State-Fullerton
Clemson at Arizona State

Morehead State at Louisville
Michigan at Bradley

Based on actual results and/or assumed higher seeds advancing, we have this:

Second Weekend, June 5-7

Maryland at UCLA
Virginia at UC-Santa Barbara
Arkansas at Oklahoma State
Iowa at Missouri State
East Carolina at Miami, Fla.
Virginia Commonwealth at Oregon State
College of Charleston at Florida State
Florida Atlantic at Florida
UNC-Wilmington at LSU
UL-Lafayette at Houston
California at Texas A&M
North Carolina State at TCU
Notre Dame at Illinois
Radford at Vanderbilt
Arizona State at Cal State-Fullerton
Bradley at Louisville

So that takes us to:

Super Regional (3rd) Weekend, June 12-14

Maryland at Virginia
Arkansas at Missouri State (assuming stadium issues were resolved)
Virginia Commonwealth at Miami, Fla.
Florida State at Florida
UL-Lafayette at LSU
Texas A&M at TCU
Vanderbilt at Illinois
Cal State-Fullerton at Louisville

I agree the CWS format will never change...8 teams in Omaha: UVa, Arkansas, Miami, UF, LSU, TCU, Vandy and Fullerton.

But those who hope in the LORD will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint. Isaiah 40:31 (NIV)
Luke The Drifter
AG
Using this year's field, I would only make 4 changes on the 2/3 seed match up line. These all just shuffle the deck a little bit and move 3 seeds around.

Tulane at Ole Miss
Indiana at USC
Maryland at UNC-Wilmington
Virginia at Radford

This gives us some (slightly) more regional match ups in the first round, which I think would be important for attendance reasons.
But those who hope in the LORD will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint. Isaiah 40:31 (NIV)
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.