SEC

11,562 Views | 53 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by Yell Practice
SeaAGS
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I thought the SEC teams would dominate at the series.

Honestly I ranked Fla no.1 Vandy no.2 and LSU no.3.

EMY92
AG
You can never guaranty that the "best" team will win in a single game against another quality opponent.
TXAggie2011
AG
I think the football season should have shown everyone there are good teams outside of the SEC, but it is still early in Omaha, all of those teams could still win it all.
Captain Pablo
AG
SEC is not the football and baseball juggernaut Texags thinks it is
Bunk Moreland
quote:
I irrationally hoped the SEC teams would dominate at the series.

Honestly I illogically ranked Fla no.1 Vandy no.2 and LSU no.3.

FIFY.
BQ_90
AG
quote:
No other conference sees its conference not winning a NC as a complete failure.
TXAggie2011
AG
quote:
quote:
Agreed, and the SEC is as close to a juggernaut as there is in college athletics.

But I think the point is the SEC does not have a complete monopoly on elite college athletic programs. It is possible for non-SEC teams to have a great team and people should not be so surprised when they do.
Captain Pablo
AG
quote:
quote:

I'm not saying that, although you're right -- plenty of SEC fans do

SEC is probably the best football Conference overall, and probably the best baseball conference, bit not thebunstappabke force of nature people claim, especially in the context of excusing poor performance by A&M

The top 5 SEC west teams went 0-5 in football bowl games last season against non-SEC competition. Invineable Juggernauts, which is how the SEC West is portrayed, don't go 0-5.

The SEC put a lot of teams in supers, and in the CWS, but are proving human, and not competing well now that they're there

SEC is good. Sometimes great. But not the men among boys yall think they are
EMY92
AG
quote:
Since 2000, which was before the SEC domination really began.

Football National Championships:
SEC - 8
Big 12 - 2
Big 10 - 2
Big East - 1
ACC - 1
PAC 10 - 1

College Baseball National Championships:
SEC - 5
PAC 10/12 - 4
Big 12 - 2
WAC - 2
Big East - 1
Big West - 1

In that time, the SEC has won over half of the football championships and a third of the baseball championships.
Captain Pablo
AG
At one time the SEC was a juggernaught. Not right now
BQ_90
AG
maybe not this year, but the title hasn't been decided yet. But on avg it's pretty much a juggernaut.
W
AG
I think Florida has a decent chance to come back thru the loser's bracket. It will be quite a disappointment if they don't. The Gators' all-around talent IMO is the best in the country by far
BQ_90
AG
quote:
quote:
Since 2000, which was before the SEC domination really began.

Football National Championships:
SEC - 8
Big 12 - 2
Big 10 - 2
Big East - 1
ACC - 1
PAC 10 - 1

College Baseball National Championships:
SEC - 5
PAC 10/12 - 4
Big 12 - 2
WAC - 2
Big East - 1
Big West - 1

In that time, the SEC has won over half of the football championships and a third of the baseball championships.
Also break that down by school. It's not like one or two schools win everything in the SEC. Also mix in the softball, MBB, T&F, and other sports.

The SEC doesn't have to win every damn thing to still be the toughest conference in the country.
aginlakeway
AG
quote:

Maybe you should avoid assuming the CWS is over until it's over ...
TXAGBQ76
AG
Watching the eight teams that made it to the CWS, I'm not sure how well would have matched up. Our overall pitching depth is not as good, we fell way of the table from an offensive perspective and defensively- well, enough said about that...
Tex100
AG
I thought coming in that Virginia was very good. Lot of CWS history for CSF & Miami. Never was going to be a cakewalk. SEC is the best top to bottom conference , I think.
JeffHamilton82
quote:
At one time the SEC was a juggernaught. Not right now

Dear Mr. Gump,

The SEC has 50% of the field at the CWS. Which is 400% as many as all the other conferences in the country combined, not including the ACC.
Captain Pablo
AG
quote:
I thought coming in that Virginia was very good. Lot of CWS history for CSF & Miami. Never was going to be a cakewalk. SEC is the best top to bottom conference , I think.

SEC is the best conference, top to bottom. They have more good teams than other conferences

The teams in the conferemce are by no means invincible, though. They are not unstoppable forces of nature. TCU has whipped 2 in less than a week
Tex100
AG
Final polls will have 4 SEC teams in the top 8. I would think we could be 9th or 10th.
6-4-3
AG
Pretty darn salty across the board if you ask me. 4 teams in CWS, you are going to have some losses. Same with football...In a year in which SEC bashers were giddy with excitement over Alabama losing and others losing, the league still won a ton of bowl games, had a winning bowl record and lost some close ones. Not bad for a "down year" in football. The SEC sets the expectation bar pretty high, and of course the king of the mountain sets the standard. Take a look at Ohio State in football. Urban Meyer knew he would have to go through the SEC to win it all so he changes the way OSU recruits and plays. Maybe others are "closing the gap" but that is no knock on the SEC. Also... Everyone is always looking for instant snapshots in time to measure success. Let the CWS play out and then measure it when it is over. Also... The depth of the league is without question outstanding. I mean...as Sumlin has said, the best teams of each conference are really good teams. Outstanding teams. It is the depth of competitive programs and athletes that makes the week to week grind a tough one for SEC teams.
aginlakeway
AG
quote:
quote:

SEC is the best conference, top to bottom. They have more good teams than other conferences

The teams in the conferemce are by no means invincible, though. They are not unstoppable forces of nature. TCU has whipped 2 in less than a week
TCU has whipped 2 SEC teams? Is that what you are saying?

Because I don't see anyway you can say TCU "whipped" Texas A&M.
Bunk Moreland
quote:
quote:
quote:

TCU has whipped 2 SEC teams? Is that what you are saying?

Because I don't see anyway you can say TCU "whipped" Texas A&M.
Well, they split 2 extra inning games, then whipped the Ags in the other one. Maybe he meant that.
W
AG
okay, LSU stops the bleeding for the conference.

3 of the last 6 standing are SEC schools --- that's still pretty good
Ag for Life
AG
LSU wins 5-3 and sends Fullerton packing.

Will play TCU/Vandy loser on Thursday
W
AG
the reports of the SEC's demise may have been greatly exaggerated...or something like that.

LSU's and Vandy's wins have the conference looking good again
tamc12
AG
Vandy beats TCU 1-0 in a pitching duel. Single homerun gives Vandy the win.

LSU and TCU matchup again on Thurs. Who wins this one?
zagman
AG
tcu get to see what it is like in the SEC. They are now one and one playing LSU again seeking revenge.
Hello tcu! This is not your light weight crap dumpster fire competition. This is the SEC!
Full Speed Ahead - Fire At Will - Gig'em

"I have never enjoyed any position more than being president of Texas A&M University." Robert Gates 11/08/06
_mpaul
AG
quote:
tcu get to see what it is like in the SEC. They are now one and one playing LSU again seeking revenge.
Hello tcu! This is not your light weight crap dumpster fire competition. This is the SEC!
They got to see what it was like playing Vandy early in the year and an SEC team in their Super Regional and LSU in the first game of the CWS. Didn't seem to bother them any of those times. I wish Aggies would stop discounting them. They're a good team that has pretty much owned us recently.
W
AG
TCU is learning what it's like to play game after game after game vs. high draft picks / high end talent. And guess what...those teams with those players are going to pin losses on you. None of this sweeping one series after another stuff.

kind of what A&M experienced playing LSU and Arkansas on back to back weekends
LSU Baseball Fan
Gators pounding Miami 10-2 in the ninth. I guess you could say Miami is very tired of playing Florida in the NCAA tournament. After tonight, the Gators will have won 8 games in a row against the Canes.

Gators have to win 2 on Friday against Virginia to play for the title.
W
AG
the SEC has made a strong comeback in the last 2 days.

the league owns 3 of the last 5 standing.

Florida gets a day off now. I like their chances against UVA again
aginlakeway
AG
quote:

Again ... maybe you should wait to post things like this until the CWS is over ...
6-4-3
AG
Agreed. Just let things play out. Decent chance we will have 3 of final 4 teams. Currently have 3 of final 5. And that is with the selection committee doing the SEC no favors at all.
zagman
AG
Looking forward to an all SEC final! Florida vs Vandy or LSU.
Full Speed Ahead - Fire At Will - Gig'em

"I have never enjoyed any position more than being president of Texas A&M University." Robert Gates 11/08/06
Frisco - Ag
AG
quote:
quote:

Again ... maybe you should wait to post things like this until the CWS is over ...
this.....
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.