Aggie Draft Picks...

21,660 Views | 113 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by BaseballChick
krackdawg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I saw that Minter and Long got drafted... Any word on their signing status? If both came back to Aggieland next year, I think the Ag's pitching staff would be tops in the nation.
EMY92
AG
Minter signed and Long isn't coming back, neither is Kent.
Bunk Moreland
Other than the seniors who will obviously be gone...Ags will lose:

Minter
Long
Kent
Taylor

Incoming recruits:
Beau Burrows
Ashe Russell
Nash Walters
Chris Paddack
Boxer
Kent signed for sure?
JeffHamilton82
Imo Kent, Taylor and Paddock should not sign. But it sounds like they will.
Bunk Moreland
quote:
Kent signed for sure?
No, but he gone.
EMY92
AG
Kent already has his degree and his draft stock shot up in the past few weeks.

He's not going to get drafted higher than he did this year.
Boxer
Lol...got you. I thought I missed where he signed for sure.
JeffHamilton82
quote:

He was drafted in the 13th round. He could definately improve his draft status and possibly quite a bit. Blake Allemand went from undrafted as a JR to 5th round as a SR. So Kent can definately improve his draft status.
KT 90
AG
quote:

I agree that he'll sign and since he has his degree, you can't blame him. He got drafted higher than most expected, but he might have agreed ahead of time to take less than slot money, so that might account for him being drafted a little higher than expected.

W
AG
after all the innings he pitched in the last month...the Red Sox probably don't mind Kent taking 3 or 4 weeks off from competitive baseball
Bunk Moreland
quote:
quote:

He was drafted in the 13th round. He could definately improve his draft status and possibly quite a bit. Blake Allemand went from undrafted as a JR to 5th round as a SR. So Kent can definately improve his draft status.

And he can lose money while moving up. So why would he come back? He's going to start in the same level of minor league ball. No reason for Kent to come back unless he just loves A&M more than anything in the world. Nothing about coming back and playing college baseball another year will help him. He'll get more experience against better players in minor league ball, and he'll adjust to life on the road as an everyday ballplayer. He also already has his degree.
JeffHamilton82
quote:

And he can lose money while moving up. So why would he come back? He's going to start in the same level of minor league ball. No reason for Kent to come back unless he just loves A&M more than anything in the world. Nothing about coming back and playing college baseball another year will help him. He'll get more experience against better players in minor league ball, and he'll adjust to life on the road as an everyday ballplayer. He also already has his degree.

Yes, he could lose money. But the most he can lose is about $75,000, which is his max after taxes and fees that a 13th round pick gets. $75,000 is money, but remember this is a 7 year contract. There is a 90% chance that his only other money as a "pro" ball player will be $5,000 to $20,000 a year for up to 7 years or until he washes out of baseball. So he is not risking a lot of money when you consider it is a 7 year contract.

To say there is nothing about coming back that will help him is plain ignorance. The additional education can help him after his playing career is done. He could also dramatically improve his draft status. What if he leads us to a national title and gets drafted in the 2nd round? Now he has a HUGE accomplishment (national title) that can never be taken away. He also has tremendous leverage as the slot value is $1,000,000 so the typical 20% that is offered Seniors would probably go up quite a bit. He might get as much as $500,000. Also a 2nd round pick has a 50% chance of plaing MLB, instead of just a 10% chance.
Bunk Moreland
I'm not going to get into this conversation again like you have with everyone else on the board. You are so ass backwards in regards to the reality of these kids that it's not even worth discussing.

Kent has no reason to come back. He can come back and get more of an education if he flames out in 4 years.

If he waits another year, he can tear his elbow or fall off a cliff and never get paid a dime. He already has his degree. He is having to pay for a very good portion of his own college expenses as it is now.

The chances of coming back and having some chance at more money and improving his draft stock greatly without a top notch arm are virtually nonexistent. He's not getting a 2nd round grade unless he throws a no hitter in every game next season. He does not have the size or strength to go along with any level of success that scouts would EVER draft in the top 2 rounds. You are the one speculating with so many "what ifs" that it's ridiculous. Kent will have to make his way up the ranks by doing what he did at A&M. And I think he can do it. But he's not going to be a top 2 round guy ever. Sorry. It cannot happen, no matter how much you want to dream up this idea that he'll lead the Ags to a natty and somehow develop the 96 mph fastball and be untouchable.

Kent has no reason to come back. Period. He's moving on, unless he just absolutely loves playing college baseball at Texas A&M. And while I'd love to have him back, it would be incredibly short sighted for him to do so.
Boxer
There's an argument to both sides of the table.
Bunk Moreland
quote:
There's an argument to both sides of the table.

Not with Kent. Not any legitimate argument. If you want to admit you can come up with an argument as a means of hoping he returns, then fine. But it's not legitimate. 13th round draft pick for a wiry lefty who is successful with off-speed pitches and his ability to change speeds is plenty high, and he isn't going to come back, nor should he.

Again, unless he is just incredibly in love with college baseball at Texas A&M, there is no other reason to come back. Coming back and receiving a high enough draft pick(if everything, and I mean everything happened to fall unbelievably perfect) is still not attainable due to his lack of size and arm strength.
Boxer
How does the slot value work? Doesn't the amount of money that he could make (he's definitely got more leverage now than next year) go up tremendously, if he waited a year and then got drafted a few rounds higher?
CorpusAg09
Only real argument is if he thinks he can make it to the pros or not. 13th round is poverty without pros. A thirteenth rounder and a 35th rounder are closer than a 2nd and 5th rounder are to each other financially. If you aren't a top draft pic there are two reasons to go play: lack of alternatives or you think you can make it.
Bunk Moreland
quote:
How does the slot value work? Doesn't the amount of money that he could make (he's definitely got more leverage now than next year) go up tremendously, if he waited a year and then got drafted a few rounds higher?

No. The slot value is what each team with that pick is allotted to spend in their overall budget of the top 10 rounds. So if I have the 1st overall, 3rd overall, 30th overall, 150th overall, etc...I add up all the "slot value" for each pick and that's my organization's budget to sign whoever I pick there.

While some of the re-structuring has allowed a bit more leverage for seniors than in the past, it's not anything close to worth trying to come back for. Again, Kent just does not possess the size and arm strength that would warrant some jump to a top 2 round, can't-miss prospect. It will never happen.

See Troy Stein going 10th round last year, or Allemand in the 5th this year. Allemand is a guy that projects better at 2nd base, and also doesn't have the size or strength that you'd really want. That said, he's a good enough prospect, but not 5th round good if you look at purely talent and potential alone. He was drafted there because it's a high slot value, and he's a senior. Therefore he's going to sign for a MUCH lower number than maybe a HS guy drafted right after him. The Brewers then get a good prospect who maybe was 10th round material, but opened up a lot more money to pay some of their other studs they drafted.
Boxer
Gotcha...makes more sense for him to leave then financially. I don't know if he's got the skill set to get him far in the minors, but I see what you are saying.
Bunk Moreland
quote:
Only real argument is if he thinks he can make it to the pros or not. 13th round is poverty without pros. A thirteenth rounder and a 35th rounder are closer than a 2nd and 5th rounder are to each other financially. If you aren't a top draft pic there are two reasons to go play: lack of alternatives or you think you can make it.

It's not that simple at all. Baseball draft, and how players sign is so different than other sports. See the example of Turner Larkins, as another poster noted he was offered a crazy high signing bonus last year at the last second to try and get him to sign and not go to college(talking upwards of a million). But he was 28th round. Situations are different by team, draftee, budget, etc.

Also, this is more a "welcome to college sports" thing in general...but 99% of every active player on college baseball, basketball, and football rosters are 100% sure they're going to play in the pros. So many conversations aren't "if I make it," they are "when I play in the pros..." There's no question about it. Even if, as fans, we can see that there is no chance, the guy furthest on the bench still has the mindset that he is no doubt going to play pro ball one way or another.

yes there are a few exceptions, but that's the mindset of these guys. It's partly what helped them get to the college level at all.
Sandman98
AG
Dude, what you continue to ignore is really the only thing that matters. These guys are all really excited about being pros. There is a point for all of them when they feel like it's time to stop splitting their focus between school and their dream (a dream that has a short life).

You can make all the projections and predictions that you want but it's not helping your argument. It's only proving how badly you want them to play for your favorite college team. This is a personal decision and they all understand what their degree means to them. If they want it bad enough, they will get it.

The money means far less to them than it does to you, and they understand better than you that they are a bad year or injury away from zero money if they return to school.
CorpusAg09
I'm familiar all those things you said you know about.

Also, they should do a 30 for 30 on the draft, lifestyle, and the realities of the minor leagues. A bunch of guys sharing housing and long bus rides.
Bunk Moreland
quote:

Also, they should do a 30 for 30 on the draft, lifestyle, and the realities of the minor leagues. A bunch of guys sharing housing and long bus rides.

I'd love a top-level documentary on the life of minor leaguers. Follow different guys from different teams, the career minor leaguer, the young gun moving up the ranks. The 40th rounder who is ready to give up in A ball, etc.

The minor leagues are very fascinating.
Sandman98
AG
quote:

The housing arrangements and the bus rides are where memories and friendships are made. Players may jest about those things because it's the conventional wisdom (and it's what fans want to hear), but they don't hate it like fans expect them to. Half of those riding that bus come from extreme poverty. The Super 8 in Altoona after 6 hours of poker with their teammates on a bus really isn't that bad.

Every 20 something graduate with a good job would trade with them if they're being honest.
CorpusAg09
A twenty something with a wife and two kids? Several firsts will be missed.

I'd trade in a heartbeat so I could evade being an adult. I would struggle with it financially though.
Sandman98
AG
quote:
A twenty something with a wife and two kids? Several firsts will be missed.

I'd trade in a heartbeat so I could evade being an adult. I would struggle with it financially though.

If only you had mentioned a white picket fence. Go listen to Allemand's interview with Gabe and tell me if he's concerned about fitting in your lifestyle box.

They have the rest of their life to do what they want to do. At some point that might include having a normal job. I'm pretty sure they will get married and have kids when it's right for THEM. That will be ok too, no matter when it happens.
Sex Panther
AG
quote:
quote:

Yes, he could lose money. But the most he can lose is about $75,000, which is his max after taxes and fees that a 13th round pick gets. $75,000 is money, but remember this is a 7 year contract. There is a 90% chance that his only other money as a "pro" ball player will be $5,000 to $20,000 a year for up to 7 years or until he washes out of baseball. So he is not risking a lot of money when you consider it is a 7 year contract.

To say there is nothing about coming back that will help him is plain ignorance. The additional education can help him after his playing career is done. He could also dramatically improve his draft status. What if he leads us to a national title and gets drafted in the 2nd round? Now he has a HUGE accomplishment (national title) that can never be taken away. He also has tremendous leverage as the slot value is $1,000,000 so the typical 20% that is offered Seniors would probably go up quite a bit. He might get as much as $500,000. Also a 2nd round pick has a 50% chance of plaing MLB, instead of just a 10% chance.

W
AG
both Baseball America and MLB keep track of signing bonuses of draftees.

http://www.baseballamerica.com/draftdb/index.php

here's one data point of interest...longhorn senior pitcher Parker French -- 5th round pick of the Rockies -- reportedly signed for $100k bonus despite the slot value being $399k. Maybe it was just Colorado, but this is what happens to college seniors w/o leverage.

for comparison purposes...Rice's Jordan Stephens -- college junior -- 5th round pick of the White Sox -- reportedly signed for $300k
W
AG
another...OSU senior LHP Michael Freeman -- 7th round pick of the Astros -- signed for $100k. Slot was $219k
W
AG
Rice SS Leon Byrd -- junior -- 10th round pick -- signed with the Rangers

Alabama senior LHP Taylor Guilbeau -- who pitched well against the Ags this year -- 10th round pick of the Nationals -- reportedly signed for just $10k
Bunk Moreland
quote:
Alabama senior LHP Taylor Guilbeau -- who pitched well against the Ags this year -- 10th round pick of the Nationals -- reportedly signed for just $10k

But Matt Kent can come back, and if he comes back and if he pitches great, and if he somehow finds 6 more MPH on his fastball and if he is more accurate than Maddox and if he throws an 81 pitch, 27 strikeout game in the CWS final, then maybe he could move up and make big money.

Or he could come back, pitch better than this year, but still earn less money by getting drafted 5 rounds higher.
W
AG
more on the burnt orange...

the horns' best hitter -- Ben Johnson -- signed with the Royals. And C.J. Hinjosa signed with the Giants. Both were juniors and 11th round picks.

t.u.'s offense may be worse than ever next season...and that's saying something at this point.
Basketball and Chain
AG
Jim Callis @jimcallisMLB

1st-rder Beau Burrows signs w/@Tigers for $2,154,200 (full slot at 22). Texas HS RHP, mid-90s FB, power curve. @MLBDraft
Tex100
AG
Kent has been in college 4 years. He needs to get started on a pro career, if he wants one.
Last Page
Page 1 of 4

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.