Joe Alleva Calls Out NCAA

5,363 Views | 23 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by 94chem
LSU Baseball Fan
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I know this was discussed in the Premium thread on this site, but since I am not a premium member, I couldn't read or join in on the conversation. I'm curious. What do y'all think of his comments?

As an LSU fan, I am proud that our athletic director has the balls to call out the NCAA for being stupid and selectively enforcing its own guidelines. There was absolutely no reason the LSU-UNCW game couldn't have been played last night. The rule is that games must start by 11pm local time. The field was playable and LSU was ready to play last night. The game easily could have started by 10:15 if the NCAA hadn't shut it down. Mainieri was given absolutely no warning of the decision, and nor were the thousands of LSU fans waiting for the game to start.

To make things worse, Alleva and Mainieri had requested the NCAA allow the games to be moved up a few hours on Saturday and Sunday to account for the expected rain, but the NCAA refused this reasonable and sensible request. Postponing the game Sunday took the advantage LSU earned by winning the first two games and gave UNCW even more time to rest. LSU won in the end, but that doesn't matter. This could easily have been avoided and should never have happened. Alleva and Mainieri have every right to be furious.
CampingAg
AG
I wish our AD would talk.

EDIT: In a manner that helps our athletic program.
Philip J Fry
AG
Important edit
Basketball and Chain
AG
He was right, and I'm glad he called out the NCAA.
Eike Mlko
Be careful about saying good things about your AD. A&M might come after him next. They need someone else
CapCityAg89
AG
I appreciate him stepping up. But the advantage is only having to win three games. Plus this was not Florida you were matched up with.
Bibendum 86
AG
I'm sorry. Your webbed prehensile fins don't type well, your gills make weird sucking sounds and corn dogs.

I cannot imagine a better baseball tailgate party than ULL and LSU. Tillman Ferttita might charter buses to the parking lot, turn people loose to wander and eat and call it his newest franchise, all for $50 each.
LSU Baseball Fan
quote:
Be careful about saying good things about your AD. A&M might come after him next. They need someone else
Haha. Y'all can keep Chavis, but don't take Alleva from us.

The Chief's defenses always look great early in the season, but as soon as you need him to hold onto a lead late in the game against any good team, you might as well mark it down as a loss. We called him "3rd and Chavis" for a reason. Great at run defense, terrible at pass defense, especially when he gets conservative with his prevent formation.
AB2
AG
We had "1st and Snyder" so this could be good for us.
LSU Baseball Fan
quote:
I'm sorry. Your webbed prehensile fins don't type well, your gills make weird sucking sounds and corn dogs.

I cannot imagine a better baseball tailgate party than ULL and LSU. Tillman Ferttita might charter buses to the parking lot, turn people loose to wander and eat and call it his newest franchise, all for $50 each.
Not sure what you're trying to say there, but I'm not talking about rest for the super regional. They're twenty year-olds in the prime of their lives, and both UL and LSU will have had the exact same amount of rest. It's not an issue.

I'm talking about rest within the regional itself. We beat UNC Wilmington on Saturday night, so they should have had to play two games on Sunday. Postponing the game allowed UNCW and their very competent pitching staff to get extra rest they would not have had otherwise. This afternoon, they were able to use their closer on one day's rest, which they would not have been able to do otherwise. This is a problem because it made winning today a lot harder than it could have been if the game would have been played last night, which was a perfectly viable option. It happened to my team, but I would be just as critical of the NCAA if it had happened to any other team in the winner's bracket. Just a stupid decision by the NCAA.
Coby
AG
quote:
quote:

The Chief's defenses always look great early in the season, but as soon as you need him to hold onto a lead late in the game against any good team, you might as well mark it down as a loss. We called him "3rd and Chavis" for a reason. Great at run defense, terrible at pass defense, especially when he gets conservative with his prevent formation.

Were y'all not consistently top 5 or 10 in third down defense nationally?

Sorry. I guess this is the baseball board. My bad.
pudge
quote:
quote:

Not sure what you're trying to say there, but I'm not talking about rest for the super regional. They're twenty year-olds in the prime of their lives, and both UL and LSU will have had the exact same amount of rest. It's not an issue.

You know that's a sin to call that institution in Laughayette that keeps changing its name, UL. I personally like their name from the late 1800's Southwestern Louisiana Institute of Liberal & Technical Learning Seminary.

Tiger Roar and Tiger Droppings are having a lot smack talk already, but since Tiger Roar is a paid site, the University of Slow Learner fans, don't go there, but they are making themselves known on the Tiger Droppings board while almost no LSU fans have posted on the USL site.
LSU Baseball Fan
quote:
quote:
quote:

You know that's a sin to call that institution in Laughayette that keeps changing its name, UL. I personally like their name from the late 1800's Southwestern Louisiana Institute of Liberal & Technical Learning Seminary.

Tiger Roar and Tiger Droppings are having a lot smack talk already, but since Tiger Roar is a paid site, the University of Slow Learner fans, don't go there, but they are making themselves known on the Tiger Droppings board while almost no LSU fans have posted on the USL site.
I know a lot of LSU fans have never acknowledged UL Lafayette as the "University of Louisiana", and to be fair, that claim is quite laughable when they called themselves USL just 20 years ago. (For you Texans, that would be the equivalent of UT Arlington calling themselves the "real University of Texas" or Texas A&M-Corpus Christi calling themselves the "real Texas A&M".) But I've never really cared. Besides, UL is a lot easier to type than Louisiana-Lafayette. All ULL fans root for LSU when LSU isn't playing ULL. We have no true rival anymore, now that Tulane can't compete with us athletically like they could in previous decades. We don't even play them in football anymore, and that was an annual game for the better part of 70 years.

I've always said that the LSU-ULL rivalry will die down as soon as Robichaux retires and the Cajuns no longer have a consistently strong baseball program. Remember ten years ago in 2005 when LSU and Tulane were two of the best teams in the country and the games were very intense? Now that Tulane is back down to their usual level of being decent, but not great, no one really cares about LSU-Tulane games anymore. They are just like any other non-conference games. The same thing will eventually happen to LSU-ULL games. Not this weekend, though. The Box will be nuts.
A Person
AG
quote:
Besides, UL is a lot easier to type than Louisiana-Lafayette.

I always just called 'em ULaLa
agforlife97
AG
quote:
quote:

It's harder to hold a lead when your offense can't score.
Justice Beaver
AG
quote:
quote:

That's why we have a Kevin Sumlin offense to complement it. Hard to blow leads when your offense scores every time it touches the ball.

Also, Kevin Sumlin clock management >>>> Les Miles clock "management".

You guys find anyone who can throw a forward pass yet?
The Hawk
AG
We don't want Alleva. The way he handled Duke Lacrosse team and coach was criminal. He's a p-oosy.
dachsie
I will always refer to them as USL. I can't get my mind around Oo-La-La
Mikeyshooter
AG
quote:
It's harder to hold a lead when your offense can't score.

Seriously. LSU loses a game 17-13 and blames it on the defense. Good times.

Your defense was #3 in the nation in scoring defense and #74 in scoring offense.
Martin Cash
AG
Eh, just another whiny coonass.
ragincagin
quote:
I will always refer to them as USL. I can't get my mind around Oo-La-La

Most LSU fans do't want him either. Not sure why anyone would try and take him from LSU though i wish they would.
JDCAG (NOT Colin)
AG
quote:
quote:

Yeah - you are way better off with a guy that gave up 70 in a bowl game the last time he was DC.
dreyOO
NCAA screwed LSU and their AD had the cajones to speak up. Good for him.
Zamacuco
quote:
NCAA screwed LSU and their AD had the cajones to speak up. Good for him.
94chem
Nothing compared to what MLB did to the Rangers by needlessly postponing game 7 just so Carpenter could pitch.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.