LSU to Start Alden Cartwright

3,192 Views | 20 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by LSU Baseball Fan
Rusty GCS
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
LSU isn't starting Poche or Lange in Game 1. Lehigh is starting a pitcher that has thrown a no-hitter this year and a 10-inning complete game.

It should still be an LSU win but they have put the possibility of a loss on the table IMO.

I'm glad we are pitching Kent today.
mdanyc03
AG
That's dumb.
MaroonStain
AG
Interesting... Good pitching will beat good hitting more often than not.
Basketball and Chain
AG
gougler08
AG
But all top level coaches pitch their ace in game 1 as we can't overlook the first game /someontexags

For the record, I think it's a great risk to take and one we should be doing more often...but I'm glad that RC is at least saving Long for game 2 (and TSU is nowhere near as good as Lehigh)
CapCityAg89
AG
Our offense can win a one of two situation on a Sunday against anyone in the country if I was pitching. #2 against the four and #1 against the two/three is perfect.
dachsie
We have no problem with it. We have a deep bullpen
bullard21k
AG
LSU is not losing at the box to a #4 seed no matter who they are pitching.

They will score enough runs to pull it out. They have no holes in that offense top to bottom and as good as that pitcher probably is...I highly doubt he has seen an offense that can put as much pressure on you from both speed and power as LSU can
Rusty GCS
AG
quote:
We have no problem with it. We have a deep bullpen

the LSU bullpen hasn't been quite as good as late. Walking 5 batters in a row at one point nearing the end of regular season, or failing to get outs against UF.
Bunk Moreland
quote:

They will score enough runs to pull it out. They have no holes in that offense top to bottom and as good as that pitcher probably is...I highly doubt he has seen an offense that can put as much pressure on you from both speed and power as LSU can

exactly. Due to how their speed and how aggressive (and how rarely stupid) LSU is on the base paths, it allows them to really take chances like that. They also play good D up the middle, which alleviates a ton of concerns.

Plays into their wheel house to gamble like that.

It'd be tougher for the Ags since we rely on offensive power so much for production, and hardly nothing on the base paths. The right pitcher on the right day could stifle a an offense like the Ags have that, but he'd be under consistent pressure against that LSU lineup.
Rusty GCS
AG
quote:
Due to how their speed and how aggressive (and how rarely stupid) LSU is on the base paths

did you not watch LSU run themselves out of Game 3 in our series? They were gunned at home twice by LT.

They've done it in other games too. They have many times tried to tag up on shallow fly balls to score at home only to be thrown out. I love thier aggression but they teeter on the line of reckless and cross it plenty.
Basketball and Chain
AG
quote:

People also said 4-seed Stony Brook was going to get embarrassed at Alex Box in the 2012 Super Regional.

It's baseball. **** happens. A two game slump by your offense and your season is over. Sure, it's not likely, but it's not impossible.
Bunk Moreland
quote:
quote:
Due to how their speed and how aggressive (and how rarely stupid) LSU is on the base paths

did you not watch LSU run themselves out of Game 3 in our series? They were gunned at home twice by LT.

They've done it in other games too. They have many times tried to tag up on shallow fly balls to score at home only to be thrown out. I love thier aggression but they teeter on the line of reckless and cross it plenty.

They definitely teeter on the line. But overall, they are vastly better than they are worse with their aggression on the base paths.

The guns to home were also 1 out of 10 types of throws. It takes a perfect throw to beat you. Both times, it happened.
Rusty GCS
AG
Agreed.

LSU is the best team in the country. And this is a gamble that likely pays off. But, it's not worth gambling at all IMO. That's a weak regional they have. Take the first two games with Poche and Lange and wait for a depleted staff to face you best 2/3
Bunk Moreland
Yeah I'm with you there. They have 2 studs. Use your 2 studs to get you to the championship.
bullard21k
AG
quote:
quote:

Being aggressive does not mean stupid. They got gunned at home twice by us that required absolutely perfect scoops and a perfect throw. That is not being dumb on the base path that is simply forcing the issue and putting pressure on the defense to have to make plays. They can afford to do so and live with occasionally being thrown out with their lineup.

Dumb is the crap that sawyers tried to pull last year at reckling. Waving runners home that haven't even hit third base as the ball is already been thrown from the outfield. That dude was off his rocker most of last year.
ragincagin
I don't see Cartwright going more than 3 innings. I see lsu using 4-5 guys today each a few innings unless someone really gets in a groove. I was hoping Reynolds would get the start today.
Rusty GCS
AG
Ive seen LSU try and tag up this year on pop fly that was in foul territory that was barely past the infield dirt

That's a calculated risk to you if Sawyers would have tried it? Or pretty dumb?
ragincagin
quote:
Ive seen LSU try and tag up this year on pop fly that was in foul territory that was barely past the infield dirt

That's a calculated risk to you if Sawyers would have tried it? Or pretty dumb?

Yalls outfielders have some cannons. Most teams including lsu dont have arms like that. It is a risk but it works out in lsu's favor more times than not. It's just heir style to put pressure and you have to expect to run yourself out of innings sometimes
dachsie
quote:
I don't see Cartwright going more than 3 innings. I see lsu using 4-5 guys today each a few innings unless someone really gets in a groove. I was hoping Reynolds would get the start today.

I kinda was too. he did really well the last game he pitched. Was surprised when they pulled him
LSU Baseball Fan
If the 4 seed was more dangerous (like Southeastern was last year with several great hitters) I have no doubt Poche would be starting. We should be able to handle these guys with Johnny Wholestaff. It's certainly a gamble, but I have no problem with Mainieri's choice. The pitchers we use today are the same guys that will have to perform in the clutch down the road, so they need to prove they can get it done against Lehigh. Cartwright lost the championship game to Houston last year, so it could be a nice bit of redemption for him.

I actually love how aggressive we are on the basepaths under Coach Cannizaro. We have the guys to do it this year and most of the time it pays off. The two runners gunned down in the Saturday game against A&M were on perfect throws that wouldn't happen 9 times out of 10. Most college outfielders wouldn't be able to do that. The approach is a welcome change from past year's where we would only attempt steals against SWAC-level teams.

As I type this, Cartwright just got the first 3 Lehigh batters out in 10 pitches, so if we keeps that up, Mainieri might let him stay in an extra inning.
LSU Baseball Fan
Mainieri is either really lucky or a coaching genius. The two-hour rain delay means that Lehigh's ace will be done without throwing a pitch while we didn't use any key pitchers.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.