Hyman calls Aggies, "THEM" not "US"

8,638 Views | 55 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by mongey donk
Baron de Bastrop
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
In the written version of his interview, they changed Hyman's words referring to Aggies as "THEY" and changed the written version to "US".

IN WRITING:
"I was disappointed (that A&M didn't get a top eight seed) and I understand the passion that Aggies have, and rightfully so. That is what makes Texas A&M as successful as it is and what allows us to reach our potential. Other institutions do not have the percentage (of graduates who are passionate) like we do, so I respect the passion Aggies have."

IF YOU LISTEN:
"I was disappointed (that A&M didn't get a top eight seed) and I understand the passion that Aggies have, and rightfully so. That is what makes Texas A&M as successful as THEY ARE and what allows us to reach our potential. Other institutions do not have the percentage (of graduates who are passionate) like THEY do, so I respect the passion Aggies have."

THIS IS VERY REVEALING TO ME. HE HAS NO PERSONAL ASSOCIATION OR ATTACHMENT TO AGGIES. WE ARE "THEM", NOT "US".

CapCityAg89
txag614
Pathetic that this guy runs our athletic department.
SchizoAg
AG
Also pathetic that Texags staph apparently felt it necessary to misquote him to make him look less bad.
Captain Pablo
AG
Wow

How did we get stuck with that dud

And that.written transcript is disappointing
LeFraud
Now guys, there was no one else in the country that could have overseen the kyle renovation AND ensure continued success success in all other sports
LeFraud
Dp and Dp on success apparently
Elastrator
Nothing but a politician, and not too good at that it would appear.
STX Ag
AG
Someone showed me some staph quotes from premium that were extremely critical of the guy, so not sure why they'd turn around and try to make him look better. Probably just an error on their part when doing the transcription.
Al Bula
AG
AnchorageAg
AG
I wonder if every fan base has such deep hatred for their athletic directors like Texas A&M does. Byrne was a POS because he won track championships to line his own pockets with bonuses and wrote to candidly in a weekly column. FIRE HIM. Hyman has 1/10 of a vote and didn't get a team that went 1-3-1 in their last 5 series a national seed. DON"T JUST FIRE HIM, NAIL HIM TO A CROSS. Hyman will move on sometime before too long...my crystal ball says everyone will hate the next AD and demand their job about 6 months after hire.

I have read posts the last 15 years that blamed so many things that are out of AD's control on the AD; what drives that? Ignorance of the posters? Resentment of AD's high salary?

This isn't really picking on any post in this thread, just general observation. I'm disappointed Hyman didn't wield more influence on the committee, for some reason I don't find it to be a lynching offense.
TempleAg97
AG
For the record, I loved Bill Byrne. He was visible and one of the people. I emailed him several times and he emailed me right back. He and I got into a spirited debate (argument) about Javorskie Lane not being recocnized when he broke the touchdown record. He vehemently disagreed with me but kept communicating.

He didn't know me from Joe on the street but at a baseball regional one year, he walked up to me and asked if he could sit next to me and we had a blast watching the game. He came back the next day because he said it was bad luck to change seats when the Ags were winning. In our many conversations all weekend, he showed a passion for winning and a sense of humor (cherished the Dollar Bill moniker).

My family and I saw him at one of the Nebraska football games outside the stadium in Lincoln and he was so proud to see so many Aggies there he was like a kid in a candy store.

Hymen is a jackass. He's an empty suit. He needs to be gone yesterday.

I'd take Byrne every day and twice on Sunday!!
Leap Day William
quote:
I'm disappointed Hyman didn't wield more influence on the committee, for some reason I don't find it to be a lynching offense.

It is not just the committee crap for most Ags. It is other stuff like getting into a pissing match with Sumlin and letting basketball die on the vine by keeping a lousy HC when every other school in our conference and region is upgrading their coaches.

Byrne wasn't perfect but he also wasn't a guy just coasting to retirement trying to do as little as possible.

quote:
Someone showed me some staph quotes from premium that were extremely critical of the guy, so not sure why they'd turn around and try to make
him look better. Probably just an error on their part when doing the
transcription.

Even if they know otherwise, they still have to play nice with an incompetent AD. What were the nature of the quotes? If texags staph is critical of an AD, he is probably on his last legs.
Captain Pablo
AG
It's not just about not lobbying for A&M

- not lobbying for A&M
- not lobbying for the SEC
- seeming detachment from A&M -- referring to us as "they"
- seemingly going out of his way to justify TCU
- long term extensions of coachs' contracts of questionable merit
- apparent antagonism of Coach Sumlin
- complete lack of visibility and communication
- gaffe after gaffe on the rare occasion he actually does answer questions. A&M as "they". The notorious "manage expectations" interview. Poor choIce of words or an accurate reflection of what this guy really thinks?
- and those guys he brought from SC -- sure seem to ruffle a lot of feathers.

May be a nice guy, but I have long wished he was not AD. His retirement can't get here soon enough.
aggiepaintrain
AG
The problem is lack of brain equity by the shot callers.
Ginsang
AG
Anyone notice when he said TCU, but meant Texas A&M.

That interview actually made me feel worse about the whole thing.
Sea Gull
AG
I didn't mind Byrne...the only thing I didn't care for Byrne about was the whole move to the SEC thing. The guy was committed to making A&M athletics the best all around.

I don't get that same idea that Hyman is like that. I get the feeling that he just doesn't give a rat's ass at all. I don't know if it's intentional or just because he's inept, but the guy does not back A&M.

And 04, UCLA's AD had 1/10 vote too and managed to get Oregon in. Face it, Hyman let down the SEC too. He should have been lobbying hard core on the behalf of Bama and Mizzou, as well. The dude is a dud. Just a complete and total dud. He even had solid facts on his side, and he still couldn't get it done. Guy can't get out here fast enough. To hell with him.
Captain Pablo
AG
quote:
I didn't mind Byrne...the only thing I didn't care for Byrne about was the whole move to the SEC thing. The guy was committed to making A&M athletics the best all around

He was committed to making minor sports the best

He was terrible at football, underachieving at baseball, and got lucky 2 out of 3 times with mid-major hires in MBB.

Frisco - Ag
gougler08
AG
quote:
quote:
I didn't mind Byrne...the only thing I didn't care for Byrne about was the whole move to the SEC thing. The guy was committed to making A&M athletics the best all around

He was terrible at football, underachieving at baseball, and got lucky 2 out of 3 times with mid-major hires in MBB.
Is Hyman any better at any of these? I don't remember who made the Sumlin hire to be honest

And perhaps it wasn't luck on the MBB hires?
Bunk Moreland
quote:
quote:
quote:

Is Hyman any better at any of these? I don't remember who made the Sumlin hire to be honest

Jim Wilson made the Sumlin hire.
Captain Pablo
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:

The BOR hired Sumlin

As for MBB, he had the same MO on all the hires. I don't doubt that he diligently researchrd and considered th candidates. But hiring mid-majors is hit and miss. 2 panned out, 1 didn't

And no, Hyman isn't any better than Byrne. He's probably worse

What's your point on that?
La Bamba
AG
That stood out to me when I listened to the interview yesterday. Run that SOB off. It sounds like he still misses his glory days at South Carolina.
valvemonkey91
AG
I wonder what it was about this guy that made Dr.Loftin think he was a good hire? I'd trust Dr. Loftin with the keys to Aggieland any day of the week. There had to be something about Hyman that he thought would make us stronger. It is getting harder to understand every time this guy opens his mouth or appears in public.
threeanout
AG
It sounds to me like he was asked to leave the room when the Ags were discussed. It also sounds like the committee locked the door and didn't let him back in the room. Can't say that I blame them as he had very little to contribute.
jt16
AG
quote:
Also pathetic that Texags staph apparently felt it necessary to misquote him to make him look less bad.
I seriously doubt there was anything malicious in the posted transcript by staff. They actually originally quoted him correctly when he misspoke on TCU's top 50 record being similar to A&M's.
kentky
The man is just collecting a paycheck. He doesn't care anything about Texas A&M.
BQ_90
AG
Well my guess Loftin figured he'd still be around to provide direction and leadership. Well that didn't happen so we have a vacuum where managing expectations are the order of the day
trouble
AG
Given the way his contract was written, he had good reason to care about minor sports.
AnchorageAg
AG
quote:
quote:

This was the prevailing attitude on all boards that I remember on Byrne.

Explain to me how he was terrible at football? How much control over hiring and firing football coaches do you think the Athletic Director has at Texas A&M? BMA's including BOR drive the bus.

AD's role in the football program is contracts (2005 raise for franchione is my biggest criticism of Byrne), facilities and then trying to maximize revenue so it can carry other sports. I think he brought us light years from where we were under Groff.

Just an educated guess, but I would say AD has 100% say so in hires for minor sports and much more say so in hires for baseball and basketball than he does for football.. So 2 out of 3 MBB hires were good but he gets no credit? He overpays the track coach by a few hundred thousand and we crank out national championships. He hired Gary Blair and we win national championship.

I'm confused why everyone resents those championships. I would rather have football success, but I can never quite make the mental leap that if we sucked at WBB, Track, Tennis and Soccer that we would automatically be better at football. I would just assume be good at everything that we can be good at.
Aston04
AG
Sure BB went for 2-3 on MBB hires- but does anyone doubt BB would have pulled the trigger YEARS ago on the failed BK hire? And by the way, he hit absolute home runs on the other two. 1 hired by arguably the most prestigious program in basketball (obviously flamed out there, but speaks volumes about what he did at A&M) and the other hired by a top 20 program. When you make good hires at a non-destination job (A&M basketball), that's going to happen.(at least will happen for men's basketball coaches with ambition... On the flip side, for our lame duck basketball coach A&M is a destination, but that's a very bad thing),.

The big difference is the current AD doesn't really care near as much about A&M winning or losing- it's a job. It's just about having coaches that don't rock the boat so he can ride this gravy train out to retirement. Say what you want about BB, but there's no doubt he was working his a** every day to make our athletic department better. Yes, he was wrong about the proposed SEC move- but he was opposing it from the perspective of protecting our athletic department's current level of performance.. Not about doing what's convenient.. which appears to be really important to Hyman. It's easy to not fire coaches that simply stay out of trouble. It's also easy to not rock the boat at the baseball committee meeting, even if our conference is getting screwed.
Captain Pablo
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:

This was the prevailing attitude on all boards that I remember on Byrne.

Explain to me how he was terrible at football? How much control over hiring and firing football coaches do you think the Athletic Director has at Texas A&M? BMA's including BOR drive the bus

Byrne hired Sherman

It is well known and has been discussed

He also renewed Fran, and was adamantly against going to the SEC

He was a terrible manager of the program

44mAG
AG
What I didn't understand was that throughout the entire interview, when talking about the committee, he kept saying "they". What the hell? YOU are the committee. He never once said "We tried to get it right". He only said "They" did this, "they" did that? You were there!
cevans_40
AG
No one is saying it has to be either/or. They are saying that small sports were the only thing Byrne gave a **** about.
Bunk Moreland
quote:
What I didn't understand was that throughout the entire interview, when talking about the committee, he kept saying "they". What the hell? YOU are the committee. He never once said "We tried to get it right". He only said "They" did this, "they" did that? You were there!

According to him, they got to present their case and then when it came to actually ranking the teams and deciding the seeds, he, the UCLA AD, and another guy who had a son coaching one of the teams had to leave the room, for over 2 hours, while the other 7 ranked the national seeds. That, to me is really odd. I get not being in the room when your school is specifically being discussed, but it's odd that they didn't even get to be a part of the final rankings of any of the 8 seeds...at least according to him. This may be why he kept saying "they" in terms of the committee.

I don't hate the interview nearly as much as y'all do. I love to pile on Hyman, but we are really projecting so much hate and vitriol about a subject in which none of us were there and have absolutely no clue about.

IMO, you read between the lines of the interview yesterday, not just listen for every word.

What bothered me more than anything else were the references to the RAC. Sounds like the entire committee relied on the RAC' teleconferences the last few weeks and specifically how they ranked the teams, and how they ranked head to head when deciding on one or 2 spots to be a national seed, or to be a regional host/last team in the field, etc.

To me, it sure sounded like they used the RAC specifically to help be the tiebreaker for all of that. The RAC is a bunch of coaches, so they are naturally supposed to "know more." What concerns me is the RAC will definitely have its biases, and it is weak for the committee to basically sublet their authority to a different committee in the RAC.

You could clearly tell though, based off 2 or 3 answers, that the committee just took the RAC suggestions and rolled with it almost exclusively. He said the RPI was merely a starting point. That sucks.

When he did list the negatives though, it may anger some, but to me it just reinforced that the Ags played themselves right out of a national seed. 10-8 to finish the year after the 35-3 start, winning only 1 of your final 5 series, and a weak non-conference schedule.

In the end, I still think the Ags deserve a national seed. But this time around I'm not going to just assume I know everything about what happened at the committee meetings. He is only 1 of 10, so he could raise all the hell he wants and still not get his way.

For those saying the UCLA AD "got them the #1 overall seed" and "got Oregon in," ....that's also speaking in facts based on zero knowledge of the situation. It certainly is convenient that the UCLA AD was on the committee, but the way Hyman answered the #1 overall seed as basically saying "UCLA was clearly the #1 team," It sounds like they were mostly in agreement of that...again, most likely due to the RAC.

So long story short, while I'm a "Hyman generally sucks" guy, this isn't the moment I'll choose to yell at him about. The interview gave me enough to confirm my suspicions that they relied heavily on the words of the RAC, and the committee as a whole basically let another group of folks decide the final national seeds/hosts.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.