Field for Baseball NIT Announced

4,698 Views | 23 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by Luke The Drifter
Luke The Drifter
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
As with the basketball NIT, the baseball NIT is a 32-tournament made up of those teams who did not qualify for one of the 64 spots in the NCAA tournament. Also as in basketball, teams who won their regular season title but did not make the field of 64 get an automatic bid to the baseball NIT. This year there are 14 teams receiving auto-bids to the baseball NIT and18 at-large selections. The auto-bids are:

1. North Florida (Atlantic Sun)
2. Southeast Louisiana (Southland)
3. Nevada (Mountain West)
4. South Alabama (Sun Belt)
5. San Diego (West Coast)
6. St. Louis (Atlantic 10)
7. Central Michigan (Mid-American)
8. Rider (Metro Atlantic)
9. Southeast Missouri State (Ohio Valley)
10. Illinois-Chicago (Horizon)
11. Alabama State (SWAC)
12. Bryant (Northeast)
13. Navy (Patriot)
14. Seattle (WAC)

The format consists of 8 regional hosts with 4 teams per region, to be played on campus sites. The 8 regional champs will advance to the NITCWS, which is held in June of each year in Elko, Nevada. The pairings are as such:

National NIT Seed #1
1. North Carolina
2. South Carolina
3. Cal State-Northridge
4. Bryant

National NIT Seed #2
1. North Florida
2. Central Florida
3. St. Louis
4. Rider

National NIT Seed #3
1. Alabama
2. Southern Mississippi
3. Memphis
4. Alabama State

National NIT Seed #4
1. UC-Irvine
2. Nevada
3. San Diego
4. Seattle

National NIT Seed #5
1. Nebraska
2. Missouri
3. Creighton
4. Southeast Missouri State

National NIT Seed #6
1. Connecticut
2. Liberty
3. Fresno State
4. Navy

National NIT Seed #7
1. Michigan State
2. Duke
3. Central Michigan
4. Illinois-Chicago

National NIT Seed #8
1. Southeast Louisiana
2. Kentucky
3. Alabama-Birmingham
4. South Alabama
But those who hope in the LORD will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint. Isaiah 40:31 (NIV)
merc
AG
Wait, this is a real thing?
gougler08
AG
Never heard of this before
ColleyvilleAg06
AG
For those wondering - no it is not a real thing but the OPs fun take on what it may look like if it was.

Just a quick scan tho looks like Fresno st vs Nevada in the first game and they are in the same conference so you may have some tweaks to mak.
Aggie
AG
The idea has been tossed around but I don't think it will ever happen.

No guys there is no such thing.

ColoradoMooseHerd
Also the seedlings are pretty poor and was the sign that it was fake to me.
Bernie13
quote:
Also the seedlings are pretty poor and was the sign that it was fake to me.

What do have against seedlings?
greg.w.h
AG
The basketball NIT isn't nearly as interesting after the NCAA expanded past 32 teams. Which is why it is now wholly owned by the NCAA...
Luke The Drifter
AG

Fixed. Did a 3-way swap of San Diego, Fresno State and Cal State-Northridge. Should be correct now.

But those who hope in the LORD will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint. Isaiah 40:31 (NIV)
Luke The Drifter
AG

Man...I bet you're a BLAST at parties...

farmer95
AG
quote:

Man...I bet you're a BLAST at parties...

Yeah, heard he always wants to talk about seedlings. Conversation never really blossoms....
swimmerbabe11
Mark Etheridge usually creates one of these and calls it the Road to Quahog.

This year it would probably actually be a pretty good tournament.
Mr. Ectomy
AG
This thread has a lot of room to grow.
Luke The Drifter
AG
I see what you did there...and from someone with a username of 'farmer'.

Well played, my friend. Well played.

dabo man
AG
This is awesome! I am going to finally start rooting Mizzou since they are local to me. The best thing about the baseball NIT... if they make it to Elko, between games I can pan the Humboldt River for gold and maybe pay for the whole trip!
W
AG
I would have put t.u. in the NIT field as well
Luke The Drifter
AG
Problem is, they wouldn't have qualified for the NIT under this system. The pairings are made using regular season champs and then the top RPI teams not in the NCAA field. The lowest at-large team was Memphis at 72. The Horns RPI is 86.

Speaking of the Horns, how are they not a 4 seed in their regional? Let me ask you what type of team typically gets a 4 seed.

Automatic qualifier that wouldn't have otherwise made it? - CHECK!

Overall record at or only slightly above .500? - CHECK!

Conference finish in a non-power conference much closer to the last place team than the first place team? - CHECK!

RPI worse than any at-large team? - CHECK!

Several (17 to be exact) losses to non-tourney teams...San Diego (x2), Stanford (x2), West Virginia, UT-Arlington, Nebraska (x3), Texas A&M-Corpus Christi, Oklahoma (x2), Sam Houston State, Kansas, Texas Tech (x2) and Baylor? - CHECK!

3-11 record vs. top 50 RPI? - CHECK!
LSU Baseball Fan
I look forward to the Road to Quahog bracket every year as much as the real bracket. Always worth a laugh.

Here a link to the 2013 "tournament" field back when Mark Etheridge was back at SEBaseball:
<https://sebaseball.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1510052>

I remember when I read this two years ago I literally fell out of my chair laughing at the Auburn joke.
jkag89
quote:
Problem is, they wouldn't have qualified for the NIT under this system. The pairings are made using regular season champs and then the top RPI teams not in the NCAA field. The lowest at-large team was Memphis at 72. The Horns RPI is 86.

Speaking of the Horns, how are they not a 4 seed in their regional? Let me ask you what type of team typically gets a 4 seed.

Automatic qualifier that wouldn't have otherwise made it? - CHECK!

Overall record at or only slightly above .500? - CHECK!

Conference finish in a non-power conference much closer to the last place team than the first place team? - CHECK!

RPI worse than any at-large team? - CHECK!

Several (17 to be exact) losses to non-tourney teams...San Diego (x2), Stanford (x2), West Virginia, UT-Arlington, Nebraska (x3), Texas A&M-Corpus Christi, Oklahoma (x2), Sam Houston State, Kansas, Texas Tech (x2) and Baylor? - CHECK!

3-11 record vs. top 50 RPI? - CHECK!
If you are one of the teams at the Dallas Baptist Regional how would you want to see the sips seeded? As a talented but extremely underachieving 4 seed or as a very weak 3 seed. I would think DBU is happy that a traditional national power, no matter how poorly they played this season, is 3 seed and Oregon St. is likely not too unhappy about getting a team that should be slotted as a 4 seed.
94chem
The Road to Wichita - where everyone thinks they are baseball royalty, but aren't.
STX Ag
AG
Dang, I bet Hyman would argue that we should be a National seed for this one.
swimmerbabe11
YAYAYAYAYYA

http://www.d1baseball.com/out-in-left-field/the-d1baseball-nit-road-to-quahog/

It is brilliant.
jkag89
NIT: Road To Quahog
By Mark Etheridge - D1 Baseball
jkag89
Dang it swimmer
Luke The Drifter
AG

That's great. How have I never seen this in the past???

Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.