Steve Smith post dismissal interview

6,820 Views | 31 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by W
Sandman98
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I put this in the Steve Smith thread but thought it deserved it's own. Incredibly raw and relevant to the current landscape at Baylor and college baseball (through his eyes). If you have a full 27 minutes to spare, watch the whole thing.

I'm not even sure how to unpack all of it.

http://www.kwtx.com/_254sports/home/headlines/EXCLUSIVE-Steve-Smith-1-on-1-Interview-305089861.html?device=phone&c=y
OKCAGS
Thanks for posting . Lots of interesting info in that interview .
Cornerback31
AG
You have to get past the first ten minutes to get to the real answers. Some good thoughts on the issue of the "The Stipend" and money that student athletes will receive as "full cost of attendance" and that these issues will definitely affect recruiting in favor of schools who offer more money. He believes that LSU is the NYY of college baseball due to LSU's scholarship availability (full vs. partial ride). Had some favorable comments about A&M and t. u.
One Tooth Man
What is LSU's scholarship advantage?
LC Wannabe
S
Louisiana has the T.O.P.S. Program. Any in state student who has a 3.0 G.P.A. will have their tuition covered. So long as, the continue to carry a 3.0 as a full time student.

It allows LSU to offer in state players less money, and give the majority of the scholarships to out of state players.
Justice Beaver
AG
And if you make any sort of effort above having a pulse and setting foot on campus, you can easily maintain a 3.0 at LSU.
LOYAL AG
AG
LSU's advantage is real but has been mitigated somewhat by the minimum size limits on athletic scholarships as well as the cap on the size of a roster. But yes LSU is able to recruit with a budget that others maybe cannot.

It is worth noting that private schools have an advantage in that you can no give academic awards to first year players. Private schools are used to giving huge amounts of non-athletic awards so doing so to make up for the .58 that baseball doesn't pay on average maybe isn't as hard for a Baylor as it is for a Texas A&M.
LC Wannabe
S
Or any other state school in Louisiana. Trust me, I know. I graduated from McNeese.
Bearded Fruit
Georgia has the same program for in-state kids.
McCoveysCove
Maybe the Georgia should be made aware of that program, because he doesnt seem to be getting it
swimmerbabe11
I'm pretty sure at minute 24 he made a jab at TCU.
Mad bro?

That aside, he's a classy dude. Hope he lands somewhere nicer to live than Waco.
VanZandt92
quote:
Mad bro?

That aside, he's a classy dude. Hope he lands somewhere nicer to live than Waco.

he isn't that classy. Sorry.
McCoveysCove
None of the baylol coaches like the tcu counterparts. Whether they are good or bad
Killer-K 89
AG
I remember watching his staff (and their children) pre games at Bricktown during the tourney in the late 90's and early 2000s. We always got the impression that he was a class act. The players really interacted with the coaches young kids. You could tell that there were strong relations there.

I hate BU as much as any other Aggie, but I always followed Coach Smith and his teams. He is going to make a school somewhere a great coach. 20+ yrs ago when he started as head coach, BU had nothing. No football, no basketball, and no baseball.

He brought BU its first accolades in sports in the Big 12. I wish him luck and will follow his teams where ever he winds up.

Soldier, Statesmen, Knightly Gentlemen.
aggiebrad94
AG
Coach Smith was a GA here when I went through the summer camps. He IS a class act. Very good guy and surrounded himself with other good guys. He's the only coach at BU I ever wanted to succeed.
EMY92
AG
Actually, Mickey Sullivan had some very good teams before Smith took over. I know someone who played for the team that Sullivan took to Omaha, his son was on one of Smith's Omaha teams.
swimmerbabe11
quote:
quote:
Mad bro?

Why do you say that?
hillcountryag86
AG
quote:

What makes you say that?

_mpaul
AG
Because he coached at Baylor, and we hate Baylor. Therefore, he isn't classy. Duh! And we are, after all, the experts on "classy."
MallalieuAg
AG
Yes
McCoveysCove
The Baylol baseball team was in actually pretty decent shape in the early 70's to mid 80's. While I wouldnt say the Baylol baseball team was better than Texas A&M program in the same time period I will say that the baylol team in baseball made it to Omaha in 1977 and 1978. Finishing in 3 rd place in the SWC both years behind Texas A&M. What baylol did both years was win the SWC tourney and then win the Arlington regional to advance to Omaha. Before Sullivan was relieved of his duties and Smith took over, the program was going backwards much like it is today.
10Aggie10
AG
I have chatted with coach smith a number of times and he's always struck me as genuine and classy. Had a classmate play for him five years ago and he never said anything bad. Maybe Kim mulkey might disagree?

Van Zandt said he has a nephew currently on the team. Perhaps a play in time concern?
la_guns
He is in the world of what have you done for me lately. You can't pay big money and not win.
VanZandt92
quote:
I have chatted with coach smith a number of times and he's always struck me as genuine and classy. Had a classmate play for him five years ago and he never said anything bad. Maybe Kim mulkey might disagree?

Van Zandt said he has a nephew currently on the team. Perhaps a play in time concern?

Oh no doubt there is a conflict of interest, but Mitch was recruited by the other coach and despite some good play, doesn't always get the time we'd like. And yes that is the story of any parent or uncle of a collegiate player. But Smith isn't really a good guy, from what I know. The McLennan Juco coach is.

Mr. White
quote:
quote:

But Smith isn't really a good guy, from what I know.

WHAT do you know?
CWS94
AG
Coach Smith and Coach Johnigan are very classy guys (not perfect, but none of us reading this are). I played summer ball in high school for Coach Johnigan and we are family friends of both families. I have a 14 year old son and I would easily hand him over to both of those men without a second thought. My father, MJ, is also very good friends of both of them and would vouch for them unconditionally.

I haven't watched the video, but I'm sure there are some raw emotions. Yes, winning is the key to keeping your job. This can cause some coaches to cut corners while others do their best to stay within the rules. That's not an excuse - we all deal with that on a daily basis in school or our jobs. It just may be what he is alluding to.

I'm not arguing whether he should have been fired or not - just simply that he is a very class man - from a first person account.
McCoveysCove
I personally liked the linked interview from above. Candid, insightful perspective. I liked that he doesnt bleed green and gold although he went to school and played and coached there for over 25 years. I look forward to see where he lands next.
W
AG
that was quite an interview. Interesting to hear him talk frankly about his players from 2012 to 2015. Especially the ones that left early for the draft. Didn't realize that Baylor had multiple guys on 70-80% scholarship.

I thought Smith was a good guy. Got his masters degree from A&M I believe. One thing that has always made Smith look good...is that the other Baylor coaches Mulkey, Briles, Drew are such jerks and sometimes utterly classless
91AggieLawyer
AG
I liked some of the things he said, but the stuff about kids being under more pressure due to tuition is just BS. I went to Baylor my freshman year in college. It wasn't anywhere near as expensive as it is now, but I knew guys that were essentially broke and figured out a way to make it work. One of my best friends (still) worked all summer to pay tuition and apartment, etc. and literally had no other money to spend. All those guys made it through and did what they had to do.

I'm just sick and tired of people thinking they're the only one with problems or that they're the first one to ever have some problem. Too many kids think that and if Smith is buying into it, he isn't the quality leader he needs to be to lead a D1 sports program.
ColoradoMooseHerd
quote:
I liked some of the things he said, but the stuff about kids being under more pressure due to tuition is just BS. I went to Baylor my freshman year in college. It wasn't anywhere near as expensive as it is now, but I knew guys that were essentially broke and figured out a way to make it work. One of my best friends (still) worked all summer to pay tuition and apartment, etc. and literally had no other money to spend. All those guys made it through and did what they had to do.

I'm just sick and tired of people thinking they're the only one with problems or that they're the first one to ever have some problem. Too many kids think that and if Smith is buying into it, he isn't the quality leader he needs to be to lead a D1 sports program.
You do realize athletes are not allowed to have jobs right?
CrottyKid
AG
Even if they could have jobs, when exactly does a D1 athlete have time to work? In the off season, they load up on credit hours and go through off season training. In season, they are out of town as much as they are home, and when they are home they are practicing. I suppose they technically could work graveyard shift as a hotel clerk (in the off season), but how would they perform in the classroom and on the field with 0 to 2 hours of sleep per night? Plus, they still wouldn't have the cash to cover the cost of living for even the most spartan of existences.
91AggieLawyer
AG
quote:
You do realize athletes are not allowed to have jobs right?

You do realize I was referring to what Smith said about Baylor students in general, right?

Your statement is untrue, by the way. They CAN have jobs -- limited income during the school year (Fall/Spring) but have no income limits during summer. There may be differences between what full and partial scholarship athletes can earn, but I'm not sure exactly what they are.
W
AG
Clemson's Jack Leggett let go after 21 years. Took the Tigers to 5 CWS. And of course coached them in the memorable 1999 SR at Olsen
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.