LSU baseball fan

3,788 Views | 15 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by 8T2
dermdoc
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
You are a great addition to this forum and I thoroughly enjoy all your posts. Thank you.

BTHO the regionals!
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
LSU Baseball Fan
Gracias.
Rusty GCS
AG
Where are you from LSU BF?

I'm from Welsh. But that "Gracias" makes me think you're a Texas Tiger. The worst kinda tiger there is
Capt. America
AG
Howdy!
agswin84
AG
Yep. Agree with Derm. Thanks LSU baseball fan
LSU Baseball Fan
I'm from Baton Rouge and have lived here all my life. There are plenty of "Texas Tigers", though, especially working in the chemical and petroleum plants in southeast Texas. I've driven past Welsh many times on the way to visit family in Texas (wife is from Sugar Land). Pretty town.

I graduated from the LSU Honors College in 2001 with bachelor's degrees in history and secondary education. After two years of graduate school, I got my master's degree in Western Civilization History and began teaching high school. Now I teach part-time just for fun, since I taught myself how to manage stocks and I make way more money doing that than I would by just teaching, plus there's less damn papers to grade. I'm seriously considering going back to school to earn a doctorate.

Most of my friends thought I was crazy going to LSU when I had high enough ACT and SAT scores to go to pretty much any university in the country. Rice, UT (back then they were more keen on getting out-of-state students than they are now), and Vanderbilt were very interested in me, as was Tulane. Even a few Ivy League schools were recruiting me. But I made the choice to stay in Baton Rouge when LSU offered me a full scholarship to the Honors College after my junior year in high school. My family wasn't exactly well-off growing up, so I didn't want to put any monetary strain on my parents by draining their retirement account. LSU was pretty much paying me to go there, instead of the other way around, so it would have been foolish to reject such an offer.

I know LSU has a not-so-stellar academic reputation, even amongst SEC schools, and perhaps deservedly so. Even LSU alumni joke about it often, and the current financial crisis doesn't exactly improve our image. I honestly feel that I got a world-class education in the Honors College that prepared me for success in the real world. It was one of the few academic institutions at LSU that never had any problems with funding, and the professors were among the best in the world in their respective fields.

Educational opportunities are ultimately only as good as what you do with them. I know plenty of people that paid hundreds of thousands of dollars to go to rich, prestigious universities like Tulane and get degrees, only to end up having miserable jobs and lives. I also know people that went to less prestigious schools who busted their asses to learn and now are wealthy, happy, and successful people. I'm sure most of you also know such people on both sides of the spectrum.

I've always admired Texas A&M very much for your respect towards the military, among other things. Not many college campuses have that nowadays (UC Irvine, cough, cough). LSU actually started as a war college for training cadets in 1860, funnily enough (used to be called the "Ole War Skule"). Our first president was a guy you may have heard of called William Tecumseh Sherman who infamously torched half of Georgia during the Civil War. LSU and Texas A&M have very similar histories. Nowadays, A&M is about twice as big and about ten times as well-funded. Our full title is technically Louisiana State University and Agricultural and Mechanical College, but LSU A&M is just not very catchy, so no one ever says A&M here.
Rusty GCS
AG
quote:
Educational opportunities are ultimately only as good as what you do with them.

Preach.

Glad to have you here, btw. My good buddy that's diehard LSU told me this year that he could watch LSU play A&M in baseball everyday. I think I agree with him. What a great little rivalry brewing on the diamond that we have.
Sharpshooter
AG
How about some stock tips!
LSU Baseball Fan
quote:
quote:
Educational opportunities are ultimately only as good as what you do with them.

Preach.

Glad to have you here, btw. My good buddy that's diehard LSU told me this year that he could watch LSU play A&M in baseball everyday. I think I agree with him. What a great little rivalry brewing on the diamond that we have.
Absolutely. When both teams are playing their best, they are the two best teams in the country and everyone else is a distant second. For that reason, they are probably the most frustrating teams for their fans to support out of any teams in the country. Both teams are very, very talented, but they are very inconsistent as well. We didn't play a complete game once in the SEC tournament. Either the pitching was dreadful or the offense was. Whereas y'all have struggled with pitching and defense all year.

Still, both teams are absolutely talented enough to win the national title. Should be a fun postseason.
Rusty GCS
AG
Both our bullpens have been suspect after both being so dominant earlier in the year. Very frustrating.

Hated to see Zack Person only face 2 batters yesterday (hit and walk). Zack used to live in Welsh so I'm obligated to root for him lol
LSU Baseball Fan
quote:
How about some stock tips!
I hardly consider myself a financial guru, but here are some basics I've learned over the last several years:

Like many of the best things in life, conquering the stock market is all about balance. The trick is to balance low-risk, low-reward investments (usually huge corporations with steady profit margins) with high-risk, high-reward investments. Investing in say, an alternate fuel company or a new product/company, is very risky and most of the time you won't make any money. But sometimes you'll get lucky and it will really take off and earn you a nice profit when you finally sell the stock.

I invested in Raising Cane's back when they were a tiny chain restaurant with locations only in Baton Rouge. Now they are a national brand with hundreds of locations in pretty much every state. Needless to say, I was able to get my wife a very nice birthday present the next day when I eventually sold that share of stock for about 150x what I had paid for it. Most high-risk investments are busts though, so don't get the idea that it's easy to predict success. It's very hard, and even professionals like Dave Ramsey and Warren Buffett miss the mark a lot of the time.

You have to balance the high-risk stuff with some very low-risk investments to guarantee that you don't actually lose money. Simple government bonds, or investments in massive corporations like Disney, give you a steady safety net of money in case the market is bare for a while or if some investments go bad. These aren't what make you the big money, but they keep you from losing big money, so they are essential to any average Joes like me playing around in the stock market.

Another obvious tip would be to not have more investments than you can keep an eye on. Sometimes a stock can plummet out of nowhere (like the Blue Bell controversy a week ago) and you can't just forget about it or you will lose big money. Imagine for example, a guy bought 4 shares of Blue Bell stock for $500 a piece last month. All of sudden news of the listeria outbreak surfaces and the value of the stock plummets overnight from $525 to $25 as investors panic to sell. The guy doesn't notice the plummeting stock and in one day his Blue Bell stock goes from a potential profit of $100 (25x4) to a huge loss of $1900. Most losses aren't that obvious or dramatic, but they can happen, and you have to be alert for any signs of trouble.

Also investing in competing companies is rarely profitable, just pick one and stick with it. Sometimes you'll pick the better one, sometimes not. Example: Owning stock in Netflix and Blockbuster is foolish, since they are direct competitors. Unless both stocks are really surging up, pick one or the other.

Lastly, and most importantly, treat stock investing like you hopefully would treat gambling and don't let it consume you. Realize that you have to be responsible with your money, especially if you're the head of the family. I never, ever invest money taken from my or my family's savings, checking, or emergency accounts. When I first started investing, I would take a small section of my paycheck each month and invest it. I always set a limit and never invested a penny more. Once I became fairly good at it, I stopped taking out of my paycheck and instead invested with profits from previous investments. In a way, I haven't ever lost money on the stock market in the sense that my "real life" bank accounts have never been touched by my investing. I'm risking money from previous investment profits, instead of money from work, etc., so my financial safety is never in jeopardy. I keep some of my investment profits, but most of the time I immediately plug it back into a new investment. "The house" will win a lot, but I'm playing with its money instead of my own. The result is a steady, reliable source of money. You have to be disciplined about it, though.

If you're a novice and want to learn about the stock market and investments. I highly recommend any books by Dave Ramsey to help you get started. He explains it in a way anyone can understand. Good luck.
McGibblets
AG
So either this is a pretty interesting guy, or he's mfbarnes
Mark Fairchild
AG
I vote pretty da*n interesting!
Gig'em, Ole Army Class of '70
aggiewilliford
A damn interesting Cajun, I'm in...
aginlakeway
AG
quote:
So either this is a pretty interesting guy, or he's mfbarnes
Or he's mfbarneseaux.
OleArmyBQ68
AG
I like this guy...

but I'm old ;(
8T2
quote:
Our full title is technically Louisiana State University and Agricultural and Mechanical College, but LSU A&M is just not very catchy, so no one ever says A&M here.
Actually, I think it has a nice ring to it.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.