Kent should start Game 1 of Regional

3,529 Views | 32 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by The Debt
OKCAGS
How long do you want to ignore this user?
He is a veteran ..... he will not walk hitters or get rattled ....... and considering it will be a 4 Seed who will not have an SEC quality #1 guy , we should be able to score . Starting Long in Game #2 , gives us the best chance to be 2-0 and heading to Regional final.
KaneIsAble
AG
Won't happen.

Everyone forgets Kent was shelled repeatedly just a couple of weeks ago. We can't afford to chance wins.
Mark Fairchild
AG
Won't happen because Coach Childress stays with his rotation.
Gig'em, Ole Army Class of '70
OKCAGS
Childress is not an idiot ..... unless the #4 seed has an absolute stud as their #1 , he will start Matt in Game 1 . This team is not built the way our teams were in past regionals( with 2-3 quality starters ) Long is our only sure thing as an Ace , so he will need to pitch in the most important game ...... which is Game 2 . There is always a little risk in using this strategy , but this year , with this team , it gives us the best chance to move on to Supers.
67walkon
No risk no reward. We are not going deep without taking some risk
Sean98
AG
quote:
Childress is not an idiot .....

Welcome to TexAgs. I assume this is your first visit or you'd know he is called an idiot 50x a day on this board.
dirkjones
AG
Vandy took risk and they paid off.
KaneIsAble
AG
We don't have 3 first round draft picks - they do
themissinglink
AG
I would be for it (unless the #4 seed has a dominate ace), but I don't think it happens. Childress has a history of going with his ace as the 1 seed. This year may be the year he deviates from that with the wide gap between our #1 and #2 starter.
W
AG
let's see who the 2, 3, and 4 seeds are first
W
AG
HBU was 4-4 vs. the top 50 -- would probably stay with Grayson.

Texas Southern was 0-6 vs. the top 100; and just 3-11 vs. the top 200 -- they are bad -- here's where the dice can be rolled
Basketball and Chain
AG
It's going to depend on the matchup. I think he'll consider pitching off in game 1 if we get a really weak
4 seed. He knows we pretty much have to win our regional in 3 games; therefore, game 2 is just as important as game 1.
archangelus2
AG
Regardless of who we pitches in the first two games, how the hell would we win game 3?
Basketball and Chain
AG
quote:
Regardless of who we pitches in the first two games, how the hell would we win game 3?

Don't get down on Vinson just because of today. Wind aided against a VERY good Vandy team. We won't have a team anywhere near their caliber next weekend. I'm sure that Our pitching will look a lot better next weekend.
W
AG
that's a key point. The 2-seed or 3-seed at BBP will probably not have 1st round MLB talent in their batting order like A&M has seen against the likes of Vandy, LSU, and Arkansas
TempleAg97
AG
Yep, this is where playing in the SEC and not having an SEC team visiting your regional as a #2 should pay off.
W
AG
speaking of potential 2-seeds in College Station...it seems like a very short list of possibilities:

should be 1 of these 4:

- Rice
- ASU
- Oregon St
- Southern Cal

Rice is the only 2-seed within busing distance of CS. And at least 2 of the 3 Pac-12 teams will have to fly somewhere.

the 3-seed will probably be an ACC or B1G team
rather be fishing
AG
quote:
Vandy took risk and they paid off.
I disagree. Vandy took a risk by putting their ace against us in the first game and it did't pay off. They then discovered that they could swing the bat and that bit us in the ass. They had an amazing game from their pen that shut us down and we're in the loser's seat.
Luke The Drifter
AG
I predict College Station will get a coast-to-coast regional.

1. Texas A&M
2. Arizona State
3. Michigan / Maryland winner
4. Canisius

But those who hope in the LORD will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint. Isaiah 40:31 (NIV)
OKCAGS
If Rob does not "Pitch Back " this year ...... he never will . Perfect scenario and this years team ( with only 1 true Ace ) this year almost demands it . I know there is risk ...... but this team needs to win the Regional in 3 games ..... and Long in Game 2 against 2 or 3 seed gives us the best chance of doing that.
AggieBB
AG
quote:
If Rob does not "Pitch Back " this year ...... he never will . Perfect scenario and this years team ( with only 1 true Ace ) this year almost demands it . I know there is risk ...... but this team needs to win the Regional in 3 games ..... and Long in Game 2 against 2 or 3 seed gives us the best chance of doing that.
Completely agree, but I will be very surprised if RC rolls the dice. That being said, TSU is horrible. Turner Larkins would likely have a big game against them.
OKCAGS
RC has done a few things this year that lead me to believe he is going to use the pitch back scenario. He would earn some respect with his fan base and could really show his team he has confidence in them to score runs and take this regional. We shall see ..... Decisions like this are what build careers.
dermdoc
AG
If I was going to gamble, it would not be with Kent as, to me, he is as valuable as Long right now. I would start Larkins, Simonds, or Hill. Hendrix is too valuable as a reliever as is Vinny. But I trust Coach Childress. He has made all the right decisions.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Bernie13
quote:
If I was going to gamble, it would not be with Kent as, to me, he is as valuable as Long right now. I would start Larkins, Simonds, or Hill. Hendrix is too valuable as a reliever as is Vinny. But I trust Coach Childress. He has made all the right decisions.

I agree with "IF' you are going to pitch off, go with a weekday starter. I'm not a fan of taking any games for granted but if there was a time, this is it.
twk
AG
quote:
The thing about Kent is he is the one guy on our staff that you could see getting through five innings on around 70 pitches, then being able to come back and give you 40 or 50 more on Monday if we had to play the "if necessary" game. You used to see this all the time when we had six team regionals spread over 4 days--you'd start your ace in game one, and hope to pull him early enough that he could come back and pitch on the final day.

You also have to consider the psychological effect it has on the team. If you run out a Larkins, Simonds, or Hill against TSU, you are really putting the pressure on your lineup (and your defense), and telling them you expect them to go out and score a bunch of runs to cover the gamble you are taking on the mound. The most likely result, unless our pitcher really rises to the occasion, is you end up in a very tight, uncomfortable first game. If you run Kent out there, you're putting someone that they have confidence in out on the mound which ought to give them a chance to relax and just play the game.
dermdoc
AG
Tom, That's probably why I lose at Vegas. But hell, roll the dice.

BTHO tsu!
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
twk
AG
quote:

BTHO tsu!
You haven't been listening to enough Sinatra. Roll them bones!
EMY92
AG
quote:
quote:

BTHO tsu!
You haven't been listening to enough Sinatra. Roll them bones!
Isn't that Rush?
dermdoc
AG
I prefer the Stones Tumblin' Dice. Or Sinatra's Luck be a lady tonight.
Bernie13
quote:
I prefer the Stones Tumblin' Dice. Or Sinatra's Luck be a lady tonight.

Get nasty and go Crue and the "Wild Side"
OKCAGS
Glad Rob decided to start Matt . Gives us the best chance to win the Regional in the 3 games ( staying in the winners bracket ).
CapCityAg89
AG
Kent is the perfect guy against this TSU lineup - no walks and puts pressure on their poor hitters to get his junk in play.
W
AG
all's well that ends well.

I wonder if going forward Childress will be more comfortable pitching backwards in regional play. Worked great in 2015
The Debt
quote:
Won't happen.

Everyone forgets Kent was shelled repeatedly just a couple of weeks ago. We can't afford to chance wins.

Law some call there Farva!
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.