Oh... DBU eliminated from conference tourney

3,207 Views | 23 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by MidTnAg
Keegan99
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Lost 3-1 to Bradley.

Despite their lofty RPI (still #3) this should put to rest any chance of a national seed.
JeffHamilton82
Yep they gamed the RPI. Studying their resume and they are lucky to host a regional.
Keegan99
AG
Only 8-8 vs RPI Top 50.
TxAgg07
AG
Yep, no way that they get a top 8 seed now.
txag72
AG
This should put to rest the rpi rating system.
Basketball and Chain
AG
I want to be paired with them for a Super.
W
AG
yes, DBU is not going to host. The path is clear for the SEC to have 3 national seeds (of which I think LSU & A&M are already locks. TBD for Vandy or UF)
MMantle
AG
I don't want to be paired with them for a Super, they're the one kind of team that gives us problems, big problems, 1 through 9, they can swing the bat.

RR
AggieBB
AG
quote:
I don't want to be paired with them for a Super, they're the one kind of team that gives us problems, big problems, 1 through 9, they can swing the bat.

RR
They in the sec now? Because nobody outside of the sec has given us any problems.
dermdoc
AG
Amen texag72.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
dermdoc
AG
And I spent a lot of time yesterday while you hit the nail on the head very succinctly.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
W
AG
also DBU plays in a bandbox -- their power numbers are inflated
Keegan99
AG
quote:
This should put to rest the rpi rating system.

At a minimum, they need to tweak the home / neutral / road calculation for baseball.

It's the same as it is for basketball, which is ridiculous. The advantage of being at home for each sport is not equivalent.
AgRyan04
quote:
At a minimum, they need to tweak the home / neutral / road calculation for baseball.

It's the same as it is for basketball, which is ridiculous. The advantage of being at home for each sport is not equivalent

But that isn't fair to the northern teams that aren't as good and live in hockey climates
dermdoc
AG
Two easy fixes. Give much less creedence to single midweek games and give more importance to conference rpis.

I firmly believe that the top five SEC teams and the top3 ACC teams would have walked away with the Big 12 or MVC.

How are Bradley and Radford in the top 20 rpi? And I don't mind the little schools getting in but there is some pretty bad bias to have these rpis.
Keegan99
AG
You can't downgrade midweek games and upgrade conference RPI. The latter is heavily shaped by the former.

Speaking of conference RPI, the SEC strength is clear:

http://warrennolan.com/baseball/2015/conferencerpi
dermdoc
AG
Then just give more credit for conference rips. And you know I am not as smart as you Doug.
Keegan99
AG
Yea I think that's the first step. Have the committee consider conference RPI when comparing team resumes.
twk
AG
The primary reason they use RPI is to compare teams from different regions who don't play each other. Even with the latest tweaks, it's still a fairly useful tool for filling out the last 10 at large spots. However, when you are determining the national seeds, I think the committee should look a little deeper than RPI and not be afraid to overrule RPI when other factors, and the proverbial "eye test," give a better indication of relative strength.
smokedraw
AG
quote:
yes, DBU is not going to host. The path is clear for the SEC to have 3 national seeds (of which I think LSU & A&M are already locks. TBD for Vandy or UF)
I think A&M, LSU and Florida are the three. I think Vandy has to win the SEC tournament to displace A&M or Florida from a national seed. Can't see the selection committee punishing Florida for losing today to LSU.
TXAggie2011
AG
quote:
Give much less creedence to single midweek games

The post season is won with...depth. Midweek games test that. They test something important. They're important.

If you can show evidence they don't correlate with post-season success, then maybe a change should be made. But looking at a sampling of some CWS teams, I'm not sure the evidence is there.

And the fact is this cuts both ways. There isn't a bias towards non-power conference teams here. Power conference teams that made an effort in non-conference are sitting pretty- Miami and UCLA immediately come to mind.

Florida isn't going to get a national seed because their SEC campaign. They're going to get a national seed because they played a difficult non-conference and won some of those games, too.

Florida State is in the conversation even though they tied with Notre Dame in their own conference division because they scheduled and played well in non-conference.

Texas A&M hurt themselves. They scheduled the 191st ranked non-conference schedule even though they're located in a baseball hotbed. There isn't any need to hurt Florida, Florida State, Miami, and other power conference teams that schedule tough because some of their brethren done messed up.

give more importance to conference rpis.

I'm still unclear what you mean by this. Weight conference games more? Just give more mental notice to their conference affiliation?

I don't see the need for any of that. Teams from good conferences already have a huge advantage. They have a huge built-in scheduling advantage. Power conference teams lose that advantage when they go schedule crap schedules.

Auburn just finished 5th in their division, going 13-17. They're ranked 22nd in the RPI- all of four spots lower than Radford, who went 20-4 in their conference. Worse case is they'll both be two seeds with similar treatment.

Cal-State Fullerton went 17-7 in their conference. Their RPI is 23rd- behind Auburn's.

Auburn spent their conference schedule getting their ass kicked- but they played a non-conference schedule with a pulse and thus kept the inherent advantage of simply getting to play a full SEC schedule.

Illinois went 22-1 in the Big Ten. They're 10th in the RPI because they didn't schedule a good non-conference schedule.

The RPI isn't giving free passes to teams that beat up on bad conference competition.

How are Bradley and Radford in the top 20 rpi? And I don't mind the little schools getting in but there is some pretty bad bias to have these rpis.

If you want to talk about readjusting the home/road ratio, then even I'd be very receptive to that.

But the only "bias" in counting midweek and other non-conference games the same is against teams- and it doesn't matter what conference they're from- that schedule terrible midweek and other non-conference games.

That is the kind of "bias" that should be included in the RPI. Its better for fans, its better for comparing teams across different conferences.

TXAggie2011
AG
quote:
Yea I think that's the first step. Have the committee consider conference RPI when comparing team resumes.
They do, sometimes, at least.

Rice and Houston both got passed over last year for LSU and TCU.

The conference's RPI is on the team sheets they'll see, as well as how they did in conference. Further, all games are marked as conference or non-conference.

They're very aware of conference affiliation and it does seem to come into play.
dermdoc
AG
Okay you win. And are awesome.
dermdoc
AG
Should I have added counselor?
MidTnAg
AG
RPI is a simplistic strength of schedule evaluation. It is definitely NOT an evaluation of the quality of a team.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.