More information on the Blue Bell situation

36,464 Views | 180 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by greg.w.h
greg.w.h
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Houston Chronicle article including Freedom of Information Act releases

Bad news. A&M probably will have to dissociate from the brand immediately. Yes...it's that bad.

ABbR because BBPatOF.
Bunk Moreland
that is not good.
Capt. America
AG
That sucks. Why not just take care of it? This sucks for them...
CampingAg
AG
Time to go back to simply, "Olsen Field"
Bunk Moreland
I will purchase the naming rights from Blue Bell for pennies on the dollar.

All my family wants is a suite, really high end hot waitresses, and one sign at the top upon entry to the stadium. Other than that, no other signs or ads needed, and I give A&M and all associated media(and TexAgs posters of course) authority to call it Olsen Field and never use the name that is on the one main sign out front.

Deal? I'll get the GoFundMe account going, and you can all contribute to make it so.
Mr.Ackar07
Why not TexAgs Park at Olsen Field? I know TexAgs doesn't advertise, but this may be a first step.
Agsncws
AG
quote:
$ or incompetence.
CapCityAg89
AG
Wow. Having worked in food distribution, that is crazy bad.

I hope the check cleared.
greg.w.h
AG
quote:
quote:
$ or incompetence.
Criminally bad behavior, not mere incompetence.
JeffHamilton82
A chance for our athletic dept to double dip $$
_mpaul
AG
Let's wait until we hear BB's side of things before we starting deciding it is guilty. There are (at least) two sides to every story, and it's not as if the government is always competent or the press always accurately reports the facts.
Turbo
AG
What _mpaul said above...
Bunk Moreland
I understand the sentiment, but this is not as if it's a live action news story breaking as we post. These were investigations related to multiple facilities that were obtained through the FOIA, not what a disgruntled employee or someone told a journalist.

There's far less of an "other side" to the story in cases like this. Yes, there are reasons, justifications, and excuses for what happened, but overall, you're not going to see some massive shift and huge push back from Blue Bell that will result in the feds redacting their findings over a 2 year period.

Simply put, even the best outcome for Blue Bell at this point, given what we know, is not going to be a good one.

I'll still eat their ice cream if they ever rebound and come back into stores, but from a purely business-minded aspect, I can see why it may be smart to start looking at options on cutting ties.
Legal Custodian
AG
I'm sure this is another discussion, but this is actually a well written and well researched article. He did his due diligence by getting the Feds reports with the FOIA, talked to an attorney who deals with cases like this, tried to get a comment from the Blue Bell people, and detailed Blue Bell's plan to correct the situation.

There wasn't inherent bias or any sensationalism in this report. It's kinda bad that this is the exception and not the norm when reading the news. Maybe there's more out there like this, but I'm fed up with all the sensationalist news going around by CNN, MSNBC, Fox News, and other news outlets.
Agsncws
AG
quote:
I'll still eat their ice cream if they ever rebound and come back into stores, but from a purely business-minded aspect, I can see why it may be smart to start looking at options on cutting ties.

Not sure if anyone here would know, but it would be interesting to see what the financial impact would be to the University for cutting ties. An annual naming fees would be simple enough; the real sticking point would probably be the upfront money spent for construction.
ColoradoMooseHerd
Blue Bell gives a lot more to the University than just what they gave for the Baseball Field.
greg.w.h
AG
quote:
Blue Bell gives a lot more to the University than just what they gave for the Baseball Field.
Then they understand that they've damaged their brand by their own actions and could potentially damage the Agricultural brand of one of the best agricultural universities in the United States.
The Debt
Circle the wagons and protect em.
zagman
AG
I hope some on here realize that the Austin American Statesman at Houston of otherwise known as the Houston Comical just may have an agenda? Blue Bell Park is located on the campus of Texas A&M University and the editorial content of this so called paper is a little sips bias!
Full Speed Ahead - Fire At Will - Gig'em

"I have never enjoyed any position more than being president of Texas A&M University." Robert Gates 11/08/06
Bunk Moreland
quote:
I hope some on here realize that the Austin American Statesman at Houston of otherwise known as the Houston Comical just may have an agenda? Blue Bell Park is located on the campus of Texas A&M University and the editorial content of this so called paper is a little sips bias!

1) This is an article from their business section.

2) You can't be serious, can you? So because Blue Bell, a nationally recognized ice cream maker, happens to sponsor the baseball stadium at Texas A&M, this means that this "biased" newspaper is now going to present a report about a massive company with a slant against it, due to alleged "biases" against the university it happens to give money to and sponsor the baseball field of?

There's no way you can walk around actually believing what you posted.
greg.w.h
AG
quote:
Let me get this straight: you want to circle the wagons to protect a brand that knew it had and was distributing listeria from its own factories for two years and only took action when deaths were traced to their factories?
The Debt
quote:
quote:
Let me get this straight: you want to circle the wagons to protect a brand that knew it had and was distributing listeria from its own factories for two years and only took action when deaths were traced to their factories?

Yep. Everything you consumed and everything you purchase has the risk to kill you. BB has provided hundreds of millions of customers with satisfaction over decades, versus other businesses they are incredibly safe.

Statistical outliers shouldn't kill a business. If they did, the cars companies, Boeing, and railways should have been shutdown years ago.
greg.w.h
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:

Yep. Everything you consumed and everything you purchase has the risk to kill you. BB has provided hundreds of millions of customers with satisfaction over decades, versus other businesses they are incredibly safe.

Statistical outliers shouldn't kill a business. If they did, the cars companies, Boeing, and railways should have been shutdown years ago.
http://www.cdc.gov/listeria/outbreaks/ice-cream-03-15/

Oh...meant to attach this:

"At a Glance:
  • Case Count: 10
  • States: 4
  • Deaths: 3
  • Hospitalizations: 10
  • Recall: Yes"
greg.w.h
AG
USAToday article sourcing the AP making the FOIA requests

Excerpt:
quote:
The FDA released its investigations into Blue Bell's plants in Oklahoma, Texas and Alabama after a Freedom of Information request by The Associated Press. The most extensive violations were found in Oklahoma, where the FDA released 16 separate positive tests for listeria on equipment and in ice cream from March 2013 through January 2015.

Violations in the Oklahoma plant include dirty equipment, inadequate food storage, food being held at improper temperatures and employees not washing hands adequately.

There were also violations at the Texas and Alabama plants. In Alabama, FDA investigators observed at least two employees working with the food wearing soiled clothing. In Texas, investigators saw condensation dripping directly into food and onto surfaces that came directly in contact with food. In all of the plants, the FDA found dirty equipment and infrastructure that made cleaning difficult.

Deadwood
AG
Worst part about this is the only ice cream at my nearby 711 is Ben & Jerrys. Might as well just take a dump in a bowl.

twk
AG
I think you guys focusing on possible criminal or regulatory problems for Blue Bell are missing the forest for the trees. We have a contract with Blue Bell, and unless there is a clause that allows us (or them) to terminate, then that contractual relationship is going to continue. One thing that would allow for termination, whether its in the contract or not (and I'm sure it is), is if Blue Bell has to file for bankruptcy protection, which seems quite likely to me--not that they are going to liquidate and disappear, but that unless they have huge reserves, or the owners are willing to cover their losses out of pocket, a Chapter 11 filing, in order to permit time to reorganize debts, is highly likely. If bankruptcy is filed, then that will be the opportunity for one party or the other (or possibly, both), to terminate the contract.
Agsncws
AG
quote:
Good point.
The Debt
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

http://www.cdc.gov/listeria/outbreaks/ice-cream-03-15/

Oh...meant to attach this:

"At a Glance:
  • Case Count: 10
  • States: 4
  • Deaths: 3
  • Hospitalizations: 10
  • Recall: Yes"

OMG!!! WHY DIDNT YOU SAY SO TO BEGIN WITH?!

10 CASES! GET YOUR POUND OF FLESH!!!
spanky
AG
quote:
USAToday article sourcing the AP making the FOIA requests

Excerpt:
quote:
The FDA released its investigations into Blue Bell's plants in Oklahoma, Texas and Alabama after a Freedom of Information request by The Associated Press. The most extensive violations were found in Oklahoma, where the FDA released 16 separate positive tests for listeria on equipment and in ice cream from March 2013 through January 2015.

Violations in the Oklahoma plant include dirty equipment, inadequate food storage, food being held at improper temperatures and employees not washing hands adequately.

There were also violations at the Texas and Alabama plants. In Alabama, FDA investigators observed at least two employees working with the food wearing soiled clothing. In Texas, investigators saw condensation dripping directly into food and onto surfaces that came directly in contact with food. In all of the plants, the FDA found dirty equipment and infrastructure that made cleaning difficult.

And the Blue Bell response to the positives from the same article:

quote:
"Several swab tests did show the presence of listeria on non-food surfaces in Blue Bell's Broken Arrow plant in 2013," the company said in
an email. "As is standard procedure for any such positive results, the
company would immediately clean the surfaces and swab until the tests
were negative."

Question is, how common are listeria positives in similar food industry. These could actually be low numbers for all we know without some kind of reference. I mean Reed Arena concessions were very close to being shut down this year...was there any threat to do that to the Broken Arrow plant in 2013?
NorCal
3 people died. That's 3 people too many.
EMY92
AG
quote:
3 people died. That's 3 people too many.
People die from germs carried by produce every year.

I'll stick to ice cream.
spanky
AG
Vending machines kill 13 people/year and roller coasters 4/year...texting while driving is in the thousands
Sinuso
AG
In my forty-plus years of life on this planet, I have consumed at least 2 gallons of Blue Bell ice cream in every one of them (on average, of course). I'll take the odds on the ice cream vs jumping out of a perfectly good airplane, for one.
trouble
AG
It was a contributing factor in their deaths not the cause of their deaths.

All 3 were already hospitalized and therefore compromised.
TexasRebel
AG
Just don't be old or infant.

I like Blue Bell and hope they bounce back, but I sure hope this means we can get rid of that coprprate naming.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.