Baseball Recruits

33,741 Views | 102 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by who?mikejones
jt2hunt
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Good luck to your son this year!
jpennington
I know he'll work hard to be ready. However, the A&M lineup is really strong. At least here he will get a chance based on performance. At least that's my perception of Coach Childress and how he runs the program.
Hop
Staff
AG
quote:
I know he'll work hard to be ready. However, the A&M lineup is really strong. At least here he will get a chance based on performance. At least that's my perception of Coach Childress and how he runs the program.

There will be plenty of opportunities for newcomers to crack the lineup next season. SS and 3B are open spots while 2B and 1B are by no means locked up by the returners by any stretch. Really, the only two spots guaranteed for next season is Nick Banks and Michael Barash.

Specifically on the outfield, the number of spots depends on what the staff does with Nick Banks. Do they feel good playing him in CF or in RF? If he's in CF, then A&M will have two outfield corner positions open for competition. If they keep Banks in RF, that means the staff goes for more defense and speed in CF which means Nick Choruby has the first shot at winning the job next fall. Also, the DH position will be open for competition as well.

What kind of speed does your son have in the field and on the basepaths. I know he wasn't called upon to steal much in the middle of the lineup last season. Arm strength? I'm guessing they will try Joel Davis at 3B before the OF. That leaves Pennington, Moss, Moroney, Collins, and possibly White to compete for the outfield spot(s). But I think the staff promised White a shot at 2B this fall. If he swings the bat in the fall like he did in the spring, he'll have a VERY good shot at winning the LF position.
mdanyc03
AG
Holy cow, that San Jac team was loaded.
jpennington
quote:
quote:

There will be plenty of opportunities for newcomers to crack the lineup next season. SS and 3B are open spots while 2B and 1B are by no means locked up by the returners by any stretch. Really, the only two spots guaranteed for next season is Nick Banks and Michael Barash.

Specifically on the outfield, the number of spots depends on what the staff does with Nick Banks. Do they feel good playing him in CF or in RF? If he's in CF, then A&M will have two outfield corner positions open for competition. If they keep Banks in RF, that means the staff goes for more defense and speed in CF which means Nick Choruby has the first shot at winning the job next fall. Also, the DH position will be open for competition as well.

What kind of speed does your son have in the field and on the basepaths. I know he wasn't called upon to steal much in the middle of the lineup last season. Arm strength? I'm guessing they will try Joel Davis at 3B before the OF. That leaves Pennington, Moss, Moroney, Collins, and possibly White to compete for the outfield spot(s). But I think the staff promised White a shot at 2B this fall. If he swings the bat in the fall like he did in the spring, he'll have a VERY good shot at winning the LF position.
jpennington
Walker has above average arm strength and average speed. He can play all three outfield positions but plays LF and RF predominantly. He can steal bases but you are correct that he was rarely called on to do that. All of the competition in the outfield will only make the team better.
spanky
AG
Has Jace Vines, RHP from Tyler Junior College, been mentioned?

spanky
AG
and whoa, when did embedded tweets start working?
Basketball and Chain
AG
quote:
Has Jace Vines, RHP from Tyler Junior College, been mentioned?

13 games (12 starts), 10-1 record, 1.77 ERA, 76.1 IP, 60 hits, 7 walks, 68 K, .195 BAA

http://njcaaregion14.com/sports/bsb/2014-15/players/jacevinesa2if

Looks like he was originally committed to Baylor.

http://www.etfinalscore.com/ET-TJC/220696/tjc-freshman-vines-is-spalding-njcaa-pitcher-of-the-year

"Spalding NJCAA Baseball Pitchers of the Year were announced Wednesday, and for the second-straight year, a Tyler Junior College freshman is the choice.

Jace Vines helped lead the Apaches to a NJCAA DIII Baseball championship for the second consecutive season. He is this year's pitcher of the year, following Daniel Brown, who won the award last year."
Hop
Staff
AG
quote:
and whoa, when did embedded tweets start working?
It happened a couple of weeks ago.
Hop
Staff
AG
TYler had the DIII JUCO Pitcher of the Year last year with very similar statistics to Vines. Daniel Brown went to Mississippi State and was a pretty average reliever with a 4.5 ERA. I'm not saying that means anything for Vines, but an interesting data point. Vines is also a freshman, so he's a two year guy at a minimum.

FYI, Vines was a student of Jason Jennings which is the connection with Steve Smith at Baylor...and why he decommitted I guess.
UncleDave
Vines is a 2013 Prosper grad. He went to D1 juco Weatherford College in 2014 before landing at D3 TJC. Injury in 2014?
Basketball and Chain
AG
quote:
TYler had the DIII JUCO Pitcher of the Year last year with very similar statistics to Vines. Daniel Brown went to Mississippi State and was a pretty average reliever with a 4.5 ERA. I'm not saying that means anything for Vines, but an interesting data point. Vines is also a freshman, so he's a two year guy at a minimum.

FYI, Vines was a student of Jason Jennings which is the connection with Steve Smith at Baylor...and why he decommitted I guess.

It looks to me like Brown and Vines are different pitchers.

Brown walked 29 and hit 13 batters in 71.2 IP.

http://stats.njcaa.org/sports/bsb/2013-14/div3/players/danielbrownnwut

He was worse at MSU, walking 12 and hitting 3 in 20.1 IP. So when he started giving up more hits with the jump in competition, it looks like the free passes started killing him.

http://www.nmnathletics.com/fls/16800/stats/bb/2015/bb_stats_2015.pdf?&DB_OEM_ID=16800

Vines walked 7 and hit 8 in 76.1 IP (about one free pass per outing). He might not be a strikeout guy like Brown, but he won't litter the bases with free passes either. Teams will have to earn runs against him.
plankton
AG
Vines dad is an A&M grad. He chose A&M over Oklahoma St. and Arkansas. Kind of a late bloomer, he was about 5'7' tall as a sophomore in HS, now 6'4" 205. He'll enter A&M next year as a sophomore with respect to eligibility.
Hop
Staff
AG
quote:
Preseason stats don't mean **** w/ boomer. He has the "it" factor and he loves A&M and I'm sure is willing to do whatever it takes to get us to the postseason. He came thru in several clutch situations during last years regional & super.
Boomer dominated fall ball. I bet he hit over .500 in the Fall World Series with a ton of RBI's and extra base hits.
jt2hunt
AG
AJ told me he could never strike him out in the fall.
spanky
AG
quote:
AJ told me he could never strike him out in the fall.

Oooo, look at me stocking AJ in Fort Worth
jt2hunt
AG
Hostile
Joe Nobody
This is really good fortune for us. If Walker had stayed at TCU he would have surely been the starting LF on a final 4 CWS team this year.
Joe Nobody
Come to think of it, I bet Schlossnagle will no longer recruit from Memorial HS.
jpennington
quote:
Come to think of it, I bet Schlossnagle will no longer recruit from Memorial HS.
For some reason, he doesn't seem to like the kinds of kids Memorial High School produces. You know, the kind that are intelligent, hard working, with talent and no attitudes to deal with. Oh well, that is TCU's loss and A&M's gain.
Joe Nobody
Wow. You would think any coach would want players like that.
threeanout
AG
Besides Pennington and White, I believe Schlossnagle had another Memorial player leave the program recently. Didnt the Rome kid graduate with either Walker or Boomer and sign with TCU?
jpennington
quote:
Besides Pennington and White, I believe Schlossnagle had another Memorial player leave the program recently. Didnt the Rome kid graduate with either Walker or Boomer and sign with TCU?
You are correct. Harris Rome graduated one year ahead of Boomer and signed with TCU. He lasted two weeks into fall practice and then left the program. Unlike the cases with Boomer and Walker though, Harris also wanted to be part of the Greek system (which is not allowed at TCU) and was struggling with grades.
Foxo
AG
College Commitments in the past 50 days (Perfect Game)

Mason Cole RHP Round Rock
Hunter Coleman C Midland

Action Baseball Club
July 3 at 4:03pm
Recruiting News: Mason Cole 2016 6'5" RHP Round Rock High has committed to Texas A&M University , Congratulations Mason and the Cole family.

Action Baseball Club
June 19
Congratulations Mason Cole 2016 RHP Round Rock High On joining the Action 90 MPH Club, Mason Touched 91 MPH at the sunbelt series as part of Team Texas.

Lee catcher Hunter Coleman is the latest baseball prospect in the Permian Basin to verbally commit to a Division I college program.

Coleman, a junior, announced his commitment to play at Texas A&M on Twitter on Monday night.
Coleman, who was recruited by Texas A&M as a catcher, has a special connection to the Aggies. He said that College Station is always the place where he's wanted to play. "My dad used to coach there in the late 90s and early 2000s," Coleman said. "I grew up there and was always around Aggie baseball and Olsen Field. So it's like kind of coming home for me."Coleman comes from an accomplished baseball family. Many of his family members have either coached or played baseball at some level. Hunter's father, David, is the current head baseball coach at Midland College and his uncle, Steve, is the head coach at Hardin-Simmons University. Steve's son and Hunter's cousin, Chad, is in his second season as the head coach at Odessa Permian.Because of that lineage, Coleman said that announcing his intent to play baseball at the next level was almost expected."I guess it's like I'm meeting expectations," Coleman said. "It's not like there was any pressure or anything, but everyone in our family has played college baseball. So it's just kind of keeping the tradition going." Throughout his high school career, Coleman has been an impact player for the Rebels. He earned First Team All-District 2-5A honors last season in his sophomore year and was named the Class 6A Region I Player to Watch by Texas High School Baseball prior to the start of this season.

This season, Coleman has two home runs and is spearheading a Rebels team that is much improved from its 9-17 showing in 2014. He is the major component of Lee's trio of top hitters, which also includes leadoff hitter and younger brother Ty Coleman, and Brady Roper. That's a group that has been one of the best in District 3-6A this season.

Meanwhile, Texas A&M is currently the No. 2 ranked college baseball team in Division I, thanks to a 30-2 start to the season and a dominant 22-1 mark at Olsen Field.

Even though he's still ways away from actually joining the Aggies' roster, Coleman says that the fact that Texas A&M is having such a resurgent season adds extra personal excitement in his commitment.
Still though, Coleman says he is focused on the season at hand with his Rebels, and his goal of making the playoffs for the first time in his tenure at Lee.
"Yeah, I'm excited for sure," Coleman said. "Right now, though, it is two years away, so my focus is definitely here. I just need to focus on now and the next game, one game at a time, instead of looking so far into the future.

It makes you want to have more success now at Lee."
Follow Will on Twitter: @Will_MRT

Read more: HS BASEBALL: Lee's Coleman commits to play for Texas A&M - MRT.com: Sports http://www.mrt.com/sports/article_7a80cf3a-dda5-11e4-8aa8-4748d5ea4ea3.html#ixzz3gMpR5TNb
Under Creative Commons License: Attribution

Foxo
AG
I am blessed to say that I have committed to play baseball at Texas A&M University @Aggie_Baseball @PerfectGameUSA

[url=https://twitter.com/PerfectGameUSA][/url]
Zach DeLoach on Twitter
HECUBUS
AG
My niece went to Memorial and is a senior at ATM. I've been hearing about these Memorial kids for over a year now and can't wait to see them on the field. Congratulations! I can imagine.
Foxo
AG
Former Rockwall-Heath standouts Tyler Ivey and Tyler Pinkston and ex-Rockwall star Shayne Nance were selected to Sports Day's 2015 All-Area Baseball Team released on Sunday.

Ivey - a Texas A&M signee, District 12-5A pitching MVP and first team all-state pick - was named first team pitcher on the all-area squad. He finished the season with a 0.31 ERA, 121 strikeouts and a 10-1 record, with his only loss to Frisco Wakeland in the second round of the playoffs after hurling a three-hitter. Wakeland's Andrew Davis threw a no-hitter for the win.
Aggie092174
I have a close friend to Mike Rome who had told me that Harris had walked out on Schlossnagle over scholarship money. Said Harris had quite a following out with the coach up north due to this.

(I googled previous Memorial Aggie's and came across this)
Ben Puig 97
AG
Coach Childress just tweeted a Choo Choo.

Anyone have any info?
vander54
S
Ben Puig 97 said:

Anyone have any info?

World's worst proofreader
mdanyc03
AG
vander54 said:

Ben Puig 97 said:

Anyone have any info?

So his name is Tyler Lee and his pitches for Hallsville which plays against Tyler Lee high school. That has to be confusing.
Aggieangler93
AG
So Tyler Lee's nemesis could potentially be Tyler Lee if he shut them out?

That's rich!

Tyler Lee is on the bump facing Tyler Lee....
Class of '93 - proud Dad of a '22 grad and a '26 student!
who?mikejones
AG
Tyler lee- hated playing those guys. Punks. And blake womble was the fastest person I've ever seen and that includes Reggie McNeal.

Though I'm positive this Tyler lee is a nice guy.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.