NCAA CWS Bracket Challenge

16,531 Views | 101 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by Sea Pony 07
swimmerbabe11
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Only one guy. The rest all had them in Omaha (pretty sure thats right)

If neither TCU or A&M won today...every single bracket would have been in bad shape.
The Debt
Swimmer, Im not saying you have to have dinner with me, but consider this:

The Frogs, like the Ags, had to claw their way through the losers' bracket. You had to force a Game 7 against your two-seed. Not only were yall trailing late in the game but you needed not one, not two, not three, not four, not five, but six errors in order to win...in extra innings. Clearly there are higher powers at work here. Call it karma, the baseball gods, Morgan Freeman, or Misha Collins, if you love Horned Frog baseball you should probably take me up on dinner.

There are worse fates than a free meal with handsome man...
swimmerbabe11
Was it you who pressed the Buffalo Wild Wings button during that game?!
The Debt
Repeatedly!
swimmerbabe11
Regional standings have been updated!!

Lots of craziness!
TexasRebel
AG
Out of 42 possible points, the leader has 27...

Not even 70%, and he will easily drop as his "champion" is already scratched out.
The Debt
quote:
Out of 42 possible points, the leader has 27...

Not even 70%, and he will easily drop as his "champion" is already scratched out.
The rest of yall must be sht.
TexasRebel
AG
Eh. I abstained. I did not understand the Super Regional scoring.

As the rubric is posted, you get 2+seed# for picking the winner...

Then another 3+seed# because they made it to Omaha...

I don't know of its truly just a 2*seed#+5, but anyone that pulls off the Maryland/Virginia Super is sitting pretty with 11 points for a single best of 3 series after getting at least 4 for the regional pairing. That alone ties the current 22nd place score of 15pts.
swimmerbabe11
honest question, how would you have weighted it? I think you deserve extra for having chosen a statistically less likely person to win as well as picking right later throughout the bracket. Plenty made gambles that didn't work out (me...damn you oregon st and pepperdine!)
TexasRebel
AG
The weighting is good... I may have taken the product not the sum. A 4 seed would be worth 4, 8, 12, 16 through the rounds.

I was curious about two awards for each correct Omaha pick. Was that intended? It almost appears that the Super Regional is Round 2 and the drive to Nebraska is Round 3 (I guess it's possible a club can win a Super and still not make it to Omaha... If if anyone does, it'll be TAMU)

I could definitely see a Fibonacci bonus for the number of correct teams in Omaha regardless of seed (the seed perk is built in):
1 correct = 1 point
2 correct = 2 points
3 correct = 4 points
4 = 7
5 = 12
6 = 20
7 = 33
8 = 54

Most brackets would fall in the 7-20 point range. Then you have the round*seed award as well.
The Debt
quote:
honest question, how would you have weighted it? I think you deserve extra for having chosen a statistically less likely person to win as well as picking right later throughout the bracket. Plenty made gambles that didn't work out (me...damn you oregon st and pepperdine!)
I kinda agree with this. If two people are picking who they think will make it out of the "New York" regional and one guy chooses the 1-seed and the other picks the 4-seed, obviously the guy that chose the 4 seed needs to be rewarded more than merely taking the safe bet.

I posted in another thread 11 of 16 1-seeds advanced to the supers. If the bracket's point system is only gonna reward guessing the right team winning the regionals, then one should have chosen all the favorites. Right? BUT if you weigh the upsets into the point system, you encourage people to get real with their picks instead of choosing the obvious.
swimmerbabe11
quote:
The weighting is good... I may have taken the product not the sum. A 4 seed would be worth 4, 8, 12, 16 through the rounds.

I was curious about two awards for each correct Omaha pick. Was that intended? It almost appears that the Super Regional is Round 2 and the drive to Nebraska is Round 3 (I guess it's possible a club can win a Super and still not make it to Omaha... If if anyone does, it'll be TAMU)

I could definitely see a Fibonacci bonus for the number of correct teams in Omaha regardless of seed (the seed perk is built in):
1 correct = 1 point
2 correct = 2 points
3 correct = 4 points
4 = 7
5 = 12
6 = 20
7 = 33
8 = 54

Most brackets would fall in the 7-20 point range. Then you have the round*seed award as well.

I have all of the Omaha games weighted the same. Winning the Championship series itself is worth 10+seed points. (If Maryland or Virginia won and you got that right, it would be worth 13)

edited: I see what you mean...totally gave two rewards for making it to Omaha. Won't do that again next year, but it feels wrong to try to change it now
Aggieangler93
AG
Aggieangler93
AG
I believe my round 1 score is off by 2. It looks like the tally is missing 2 points for Miami pick. Am I correct?
swimmerbabe11
Yep! Thanks for checking my work!
Aggieangler93
AG
No problem. I was just following along with the scoring to make sure I understood it and caught that.
AggieBand2004
AG
Swimmy is doing this manually??
Hey Swim... note how I haven't talked trash about your school
What is both surprising and delightful is that spectators are allowed, and even expected, to join in the vocal part of the game.... There is no reason why the field should not try to put the batsman off his stroke at the critical moment by neatly timed disparagements of his wife's fidelity and his mother's respectability. -George Bernard Shaw

~ The Ringleader
swimmerbabe11
hehehe I thought about deducting a point for prediciting TCU losses.

Tell ya what though, most of the participants are TCU or A&M alum....this will definitely cause a bit of separation between the two fanbases points wise. Everyone chose their own team.
Aggieangler93
AG
Not me, but I am happy to see them go!
Aggieangler93
AG
A bracket is not worth making, if I cannot choose the Ags!
greenmachine
AG
Standings update?
trouble
AG
My bracket is completely busted.
Sea Pony 07
AG
I think the fight for last place is going to be intense.
swimmerbabe11
Was slammed at work today, going to work on it now
swimmerbabe11
standing updated!

Will try to stay on it as quick as possible next week.
Sea Pony 07
swimmerbabe11
My goal is to score everyone by EOD tomorrow, distribute winnings on or by Monday. Stay Posted!
swimmerbabe11
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Gd-QhSzDXbBjMbDhXHE9Jlsdj9r9Ic3uwoKgXaIALho/edit#gid=1360626701

BUMP! Standing are updated!

$220 raised for MS!! That is awesome!

PM me if you have questions about your final score or found a mistake. Money will be going out in the next two days, but I will be depositing the $220 to the MS Society today

THANK YOU ALL!
AggieBand2004
AG
Thanks, swim.
You didn't rig it iny favor like we had discussed, but it was still fun.
trouble
AG
Holy hell, I did better than I expected.
swimmerbabe11
You had a really good Omaha Bracket
trouble
AG
I only let emotion run one section of it.
Sea Pony 07
AG
woohoo! Not dead last.

I hope you do this again next year.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.