Hendrix to start Saturday!

9,347 Views | 67 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by Baron de Bastrop
ColoradoMooseHerd
How long do you want to ignore this user?
quote:
Does anyone here think simonds gives up those 3? Or loads the bases with 1 out?
He did give up 3 last weekend to MSU, so what is your point?
Goose06
AG
quote:
quote:

Pwned
The Debt
quote:
quote:

He gave up 2.

His first earned runs after what 60 innings pitched
OptionRead
AG
IMO it was interesting... Hendrix got a lot of swings and misses, but they squared up a lot of balls against him. I'm sure he'll be a starter eventually, but it'd be nice to be able to go to him in the 8th and then turn it over to Ecker in the 9th. Problem is, it seems like Simonds is the guy in long relief, so who knows
Yell Practice
SWEEP this thing - rain or no rain Aggies !
!!
AggieBB
AG
quote:

Pretty good chance. You watching?
ColoradoMooseHerd
quote:
quote:
quote:

He gave up 2.

http://www.12thman.com/pdf9/3422232.pdf

He gave up 3
The Debt
Does someone need a lesson in earned runs versus unearned runs?
ColoradoMooseHerd
who said the three were earned? He gave up three runs didn't he? Oh he did. Maybe you need the lesson
Goose06
AG
My problem with Simonds as a starter is that he isn't much of a swing and miss guy and he does rely on defense behind him. He also struggles with walks and hbp. Gotta have strong defense behind him to erase those base runners with the double play. Our defense just doesn't suit Simonds. Hendrix is more of a strikeout/fly ball guy which is much better suited for our team.
Goose06
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:

He gave up 2.

You realize he has no where close to 60 innings right? No one on our team has 60 innings.
spanky
AG
Broke Hershisher's record
W
AG
the pitching staff will continue to be a work in progress.

the Hogs have scored 15 runs on 22 hits in the 2 games so far
you moran
AG
Arky has a very good offense. That is their team this year.
The Debt
quote:
who said the three were earned? He gave up three runs didn't he? Oh he did. Maybe you need the lesson

Pitchers are not responsible for fielding errors. Batters getting contact is part of pitching. According to you, the measure of a pitcher is how many strikeouts a pitcher gets ( not only that, none of the three strikes can be fouls)
W
AG
it may be time to take another look at Larkins in the weekend rotation. Like Hendrix he has some swing & miss stuff. Kent needs to go to the pen
Goose06
AG
W, agreed

We need to treat Tuesdays as pitcher by committee and get kent and simonds in the pen for the weekend.
Goose06
AG
And Childress needs to challenge Long to be the ace of the staff. The ace shouldn't struggle to get through 6 each week because of throwing so many balls out of the strike zone.
W
AG
yes, it's just about time to punt on the midweek games. Only 3 left. Just win them with offense. The Ags' national seed chances will be determined by the next 4 conference series -- not the last 3 midweeks.

Larkins is the 4th or 5th most talented arm on team. He has to join the weekend mix
W
AG
Grayson, Hendrix, and Kent -- the 3 starters this weekend -- combined to record 30 outs -- only 10 innings pitched for the weekend starters -- that's not going to work
ColoradoMooseHerd
quote:
quote:

Pitchers are not responsible for fielding errors. Batters getting contact is part of pitching. According to you, the measure of a pitcher is how many strikeouts a pitcher gets ( not only that, none of the three strikes can be fouls)

Nice deflection.
Beau Holder
AG
I know it would leave the Ags with a R/R/R rotation, but I like Long, Hendrix and Larkins. Put Kent in the bullpen as another lefty/long relief if necessary option and let your guys with the best stuff go out there and try to give you five innings before you turn it over to Simonds/Vinson/Schlottman/Kent/Kopetsky/Ecker.

JMO.
Goose06
AG
I agree with that rotation Beau. One thing to add is that I would target having Vinson throw Friday and Sunday and having Simonds as your long reliever on Saturday. Simonds has not shown he can pitch on consecutive days and he also contrasts well with Hendrix as Hendrix relies a lot on a breaking ball and Simonds does not so it gives hitters a different look in the same game. If a team has a few lefties in a row that you run into around the time to pull the starter, then you go to Kopetsky or Schlottman for a few outs before turning it over to Vinson or Simonds. And if Vinson or Simonds are pitching well, I let them finish a game instead of going to Ecker so you can save Ecker for a longer outting the next day.
AggieBB
AG
Larkins starting an SEC game against any of the better teams scares me to death. He is way too inconsistent and good hitting clubs will take advantage of that. He has good enough stuff, you just never know aht youre gonna get out of him.
The Debt
Its not a deflection. You are trying to make the pitcher responsible for runs he isnt responsible for...just so it can fit your piss-poor argument.
twk
AG
quote:
Larkins starting an SEC game against any of the better teams scares me to death. He is way too inconsistent and good hitting clubs will take advantage of that. He has good enough stuff, you just never know aht youre gonna get out of him.
The thing about guys like Larkins is that, yes, he's inconsistent, but if you don't run him out there, for fear of a bad outing, then you never get to take advantage of a potential good outing. Maybe on Saturday or Sunday, it would be worth taking the risk, knowing that if he's not on, you're going to have to go to the bullpen and use someone who would have been in that starting slot had you not thrown Larkins.

One possible ray of hope--maybe Stubblefield can be back to provide us something if we need to go deep for a starter in the post-season.
ColoradoMooseHerd
Hendrix appears to be the right choice in the starting rotation by Childress, now if we can find a reliable third pitcher during the week of it will shore things for post-season
Sean98
AG
Agreed. I wish we had a little more consistent fielding because I think Kent is the obvious choice to start Sundays. But he needs someone to catch the ball behind him (Although he has gone kind of strikeout crazy his last few appearances).
ColoradoMooseHerd
I like Kent but he is hit table and depends on defense and that is our weakness, but that is who I would also go with right now.
Baron de Bastrop
AG
The Debt - I don't want to pick a fight but rather respond to your position that, "Pitchers are not responsible for fielding errors" by telling you two things: (1) Yes they are, and (2) Assigning who is "responsible" for runs in the ERA calculation is highly inaccurate compared to just tracking their Runs Allowed because fielding is subjective and assigning "responsibility" is subjective. So, Moose is right to simply look at runs v. earned runs.

Pitchers are responsible for all runs, not just "earned" ones. The best pitchers get the most outs before errors happen, and get the most outs after errors happen, keeping earned and unearned runs to a minimum. Except for knuckleballers.

There is also the totally subjective concept of assigning "responsibility" for a runner. Relievers who have runners on base and let them score consistently are bad relievers but you will not see any impact on their ERA.

What about the complete disregard for bad pitching once there are two outs and an error? If Simons comes in when no earned runs are possible, and subsequently gives up 10 home runs, his ERA will actually improve whenever he makes his 1 out, but we would all agree he had a terrible outing.

The examples are limitless. The only good thing about ERA is that it generally correlates to runs allowed except for knuckleballers etc. Use Runs Allowed.

By the way I like Simons and Hendrix a lot and I think RC is doing all he can to keep the staff moving forward as the grind continues. Whatever decisions he's made this year, I'm amazed at the bottom line. Who would have thought we'd have a chance to win the SEC losing two starting pitchers?!?! Amazing.

Peace - - Baron.
The Debt
If Cy young was on the mound and the other 8 can't defend flyouts, the team batting is gonna put up a decent amount of runs.

How many no-hitters have 27 Ks? A "perfect game" pitched assumes contact and fielding.
Baron de Bastrop
AG
You are right but that doesn't change my point. No-hitters and perfect games are special and require luck and great fielding, but measuring a pitcher's skills doesn't have to include such rarities especially when you compare one pitcher to another on the same team dealing with the same fielding capabilities of the other 8. All you have to do is ask how pitchers handle themselves before and after a fielding error to see which pitchers are stronger than the others. In the long run and over the course of a season, runs allowed is a more accurate view of pitcher performance.
Goose06
AG
Baron, I would agree with you if we were comparing pitchers who threw 200+ innings and dealt with a similar # of errors per inning pitched. However, college baseballs short season limits your sample size and as a result I suspect errors per inning pitched is going to be very skewed with the small sample size.
Baron de Bastrop
AG
Goose - I agree the numbers are more volatile for college but that same volatility exists for ERA in college (and every other statistic) so this fact doesn't change the comparison between RA and ERA because you still have all the inaccuracies PLUS small sample size of "assigning responsibility", judgment on whether something is a hit or error, hiding poor pitching performance after errors happen, etc. Ultimately, whether RA or ERA or any other current measure, there is not a great way to remove the effects of fielding from pitching statistics...
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.