Hendrix to start Saturday!

9,336 Views | 67 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by Baron de Bastrop
LHP
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
This is really a great move. Looking forward to the series!
themissinglink
AG
Should be interesting. Rob alluded to it after the Sunday game. I was thinking he was talking about turning him into a Sunday guy, but it probably make more sense to keep a LHP in the rotation.
spanky
AG
Not sure how I feel about weakening our pen for 3 days for this move. He sure looked great on Sunday though
themissinglink
AG
They are moving Simmonds back to the pen. I think he's been better our of the pen then starting. It should give us 2 rightys and 2 lefties before ecker. Our pen should be fine.
spanky
AG
I agree our pen should be fine...doesn't mean it isn't weakened by losing Hendrix.
JeffHamilton82
quote:
Not sure how I feel about weakening our pen for 3 days for this move. He sure looked great on Sunday though

I'm not sure about this move either. Hopefully we get quality starts on Saturday (7 innings). And Simonds can work from the pen.
Basketball and Chain
AG
This is the time to experiment with it so that we have everyone's roles figured out for the postseason. The way I look at it, our great start affords Childress the opportunity to try a few things out down the stretch. It's not like Simonds hasn't pitched well out of the pen, so we shouldn't lose much in production there.
dermdoc
AG
I love this move.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
KT 90
AG
quote:
This is the time to experiment with it so that we have everyone's roles figured out for the postseason. The way I look at it, our great start affords Childress the opportunity to try a few things out down the stretch. It's not like Simonds hasn't pitched well out of the pen, so we shouldn't lose much in production there.
My first thought was not to mess up what is working with the pen, but this makes sense. Need to figure out if we are better off with Hendrix staring and Simonds in the pen, or the other way around. We can try it now and make adjustments later, if we need to.

West Texan
AG
quote:

This. Simonds was great out of the pen, and wasn't bad starting. However, Hendrix has better stuff and I like getting one of our best pitchers more innings against opponents. Plus, Hendrix has better swing and miss stuff so hopefully he's able to get more Ks and our defense won't cost us as many runs.
Farmer1906
AG
I love this move. I really think we lack high end starting pitching for a deep run in the postseason. Now the stats & wins show our staff killing it, but to me we don't have a combo of pitchers that can match some of our past 1-2 punches like Nicholson-Newmann, Loux-Stilson, Wacha-Strippling, etc. I think Long can be one of those guys, but we need a 2nd horse to lean on to give us 6-7 innings and only give up a run or 2 vs another great team. Maybe Hendrix can be that guy. His stuff clearly passes the eyeball test.
AggieBB
AG
Paging "The Debt". LOL
Amazing Moves
The pin is loaded. I think we will be fine.
Yell Practice
He will do well, IMO.
TempleAg97
AG
My first thought is that I'm not crazy about this. I like being able to choose which game or even games Hendrix can totally shut down when needed and not just locked into a single start but postseason against a legit ace in a regional or super is a different animal. Childress is starting to position for the postseason.
Foxo
AG
Ecker can do it. But it was good to have two excellent closers. Vinson can do it too.
Goose06
AG
I'm guessing our bullpen rotation will be Vinson bridges to Ecker on Friday, simonds and Schlottman on Saturday get us from Hendrix to Ecker and all hands on deck on Sunday. I suspect we let Vinson and Siminds finish a Friday or Saturday game if they enter the game in the 6th or 7th and are still going strong entering the 9th and the lead is more than 1. I could see both being used similar to how we used thebeau and Nicholson in the past.
chuck94
AG
These are good problems to have. This will be a good series to see how everyone can step into other roles when needed in the postseason. We also still have Kopetsky to face a few leftys if Schlottmann hasn't got it that day. RC seems to be managing pitching pretty well this season, but that may be a product of the talent we have this year.
Rocky Rider
AG
Been waiting for decades to see Jimmy play again.
W
AG
speaking of starting pitching...it would really behoove the Ags to win their regional in 3 games. Otherwise it will be a very nervous situation to run Larkins out there for a game 4
spanky
AG
I would assume Simonds or Hendrix would be the game 4 guy in a regional going forward
Farmer1906
AG
quote:
speaking of starting pitching...it would really behoove the Ags to win their regional in 3 games. Otherwise it will be a very nervous situation to run Larkins out there for a game 4

While true, the other team will be in the same boat. We have been spoiled with pitching depth most of the last several years.
Foxo
AG
quote:
Simonds for game 4
Goose06
AG
For Simonds to go in game 4 we would need our starters to start getting into the 7th so Vinson/Ecker/Schlottmann could effectively be the bridge for the first 3 games. And if we did that, our bullpen would be gassed for game 4. This is where getting Stubblefield back could be huge. If he could become the #2 guy then you can try to hold off on using Hendrix in games 1 and 2 and if you win both then you can save Hendrix for game 4. If you lose 1 then Hendrix becomes your game 3 guy with Kent in game 4 and Larkins in game 5 (and a short leash still).
spanky
AG
Speaking of using Simonds and along those lines...will he still be available this weekend after having to go long relief last night?
Farmer1906
AG
quote:
Speaking of using Simonds and along those lines...will he still be available this weekend after having to go long relief last night?

I would think so. He ony threw like 30 pitches last night.
spanky
AG
Cool, wasn't sure of his pitch count. BTHO arky
Goose06
AG
I suspect we will see Simonds and Vinson go 2-3 innings at a time probably twice a week and then have them available for 1 inning or so in one other game a week.
The Debt
quote:
Paging "The Debt". LOL

3 hits and an earned run in the first.

RC is overthinking. Simonds was doing fine.
W
AG
Hendrix did okay tonight. The Arkansas lineup is a very tough one to make a starting debut against. Lots of left-handed hitters. He'll get a tough draw in Baton Rouge next week too. Then the opposing lineups get somewhat easier
spanky
AG
Ump had a tight ass zone...consistent though
ColoradoMooseHerd
Certain posters are just looking for things to blame RC for. This season is so hard for them. I really don't know what happened that they hate RC this much for.
The Debt
Does anyone here think simonds gives up those 3? Or loads the bases with 1 out?
West Texan
AG
quote:

For his first start of the year against a good hitting team, Hendrix did pretty good. Yeah, he got himself into trouble, but it wasn't like he got shelled out there. And guess what, Simonds was the guy we brought in for relief of Hendrix. We haven't found another consistent weekend guy since Minter went down, so RC has done some shuffling and we keep winning. Simonds did fine in his starts, but wasn't doninant. Hendrix didn't have the results we all wanted today, but it's way too early to write this off as some kind of coaching disaster. Regardless of who starts, our bullpen is the real strength of the pitching staff and we just need to find a guy who can give us 5-6 innings.
The Debt
quote:
quote:

For his first start of the year against a good hitting team, Hendrix did pretty good. Yeah, he got himself into trouble, but it wasn't like he got shelled out there. And guess what, Simonds was the guy we brought in to get out of another bad Hendrix inning, Simonds was also the guy RC bumped from starting this game.

Fify
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.