After cooling off for a few minutes…

4,248 Views | 24 Replies | Last: 9 yr ago by Sea Gull
Capt. America
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I'm really not all that concerned about this baseball team. Despite the poor run-producing today, we still had plenty of hits and some pretty solid pitching. We just had a few unlucky brakes and some bad calls that didn't help us out. We will get them tomorrow and everything will be just fine! Gig 'em
AggieBand2004
AG
Win the series. That should always be the mantra within conference.
trouble
AG
quote:

Mentioned this to several people on the way out.
W
AG
need to do a little tinkering with the middle of the batting order
bqce
AG
Just shows how amazing it was to come in 26-1 - crap happens in baseball.
M&WAgs
AG
quote:

Was trying to understand why Kopetsky was batting ahead of Melton. Can someone explain why you would do that?
West Texan
AG
quote:

I agree, but I'm not that worried. Mizzou came in with the reputation of a vaunted pitching staff and we chased their Friday starter and scored 7 yesterday, and had 12 hits today, including some balls we blistered off their stud closer. That's baseball sometimes where you just can't get guys in, but we've still hit the ball well this weekend.
Lance Uppercut
AG
I'm guessing they'd hit him before Melton because they like breaking up the parade of slow right handers with a speedier left handed hitter. He also walks a lot leading to a high OBP, which I assume they considered one more chance for another runner before Melton comes up.
JDay
While embarrassing this loss doesn't really change much. A loss tomorrow really hurts as Missouri will end up being a middle of the conference team after they go thru the entire SEC schedule. They stole one today which will help them. Just can't give away a series to a team that got swept by Milwaukee and split with UA-Pine Bluff.
W
AG
what made it frustrating today...

the 8th inning ended with Kopetsky fanning on 3 pitches and Melton in the on-deck circle.

the 9th inning ended with Nau's routine grounder to SS and Banks in the on-deck circle.

when the rubber meets the road... we want Melton getting that critical 8th inning AB before Kopetsky; and likewise Banks getting the critical AB before Nau
wreckncrew
AG
I don't understand why banks isn't hitting in the 3 hole
1876er
AG
quote:

Winning the series is always the most important thing, but a couple of sweeps helps get those valuable top 8 seeds.
Sea Gull
AG
quote:

the 8th inning ended with Kopetsky fanning on 3 pitches and Melton in the on-deck circle.

the 9th inning ended with Nau's routine grounder to SS and Banks in the on-deck circle.

when the rubber meets the road... we want Melton getting that critical 8th inning AB before Kopetsky; and likewise Banks getting the critical AB before Nau

Honestly, I'd rather have Moss instead of Kopetsky. Dude looks lost against good pitching. K'ed twice on 3 pitches today. You can't have that.

I'm also not a fan of bunting Barash when Melton leads off with a double. Never been a big fan of bunting a guy from second to third. I understand why they do it, but, to me, it's not worth the out you are giving them.

I've been a fan of getting Nau out of the 3 hole for a while.

I'd rather see Banks in the 3 spot, followed by Taylor, then Melton, and then Nau. I understand that's a ton of righties. Banks and Taylor are the best sticks in the lineup, followed by Hunter. They need to be 3, 4, and 5.
Sean98
AG
quote:

Not sure how Nau is still in the top 2/3 of the order. He's hitting about .350 and that is with the .700 start. He is getting killed right now and is basically a double play waiting to happen.
jkag89
quote:
quote:

Winning the series is always the most important thing, but a couple of sweeps helps get those valuable top 8 seeds.
Yes but sweeping a team that came in 5-1 in league play is no easy task. If the Ags win every one of their SEC series, even if the do not sweep any of the remaining ones. it will be a fairly safe bet that they'll receive a National Seed unless there are more than a few teams that end the season with sustained long winning streaks.
AggieBB
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:

Yes but sweeping a team that came in 5-1 in league play is no easy task. If the Ags win every one of their SEC series, even if the do not sweep any of the remaining ones. it will be a fairly safe bet that they'll receive a National Seed unless there are more than a few teams that end the season with sustained long winning streaks.
Yep. Just sucks that we should be up 2-0 in this series with a shot at the sweep tomorrow. Reminds me of the LSU series last year. Should have swept that one too.
Southlake
Pretty underwhelming.
Spyderman
AG
quote:
Just shows how amazing it was to come in 26-1 - crap happens in baseball.
Yep, baseball is a squirrely game.
Ft Worth Ag
AG
The team was playing well up to the point where the LF misjudged the fly ball that ended up getting the Tigers to tie the game by the end of the inning. Tigers seemed to gain some confidence and the Aggies went cold and seemed to panic somewhat.
CapCityAg89
AG
quote:
quote:

Not sure how Nau is still in the top 2/3 of the order. He's hitting about .350 and that is with the .700 start. He is getting killed right now and is basically a double play waiting to happen.
He is a senior leader and those guys get the benefit of the doubt. Oh and Mitchell was 6 for 15 (.400) for Mizzou.

Oh and 14 runs in white jerseys!!
Aggieangler93
AG
quote:
quote:

Honestly, I'd rather have Moss instead of Kopetsky. Dude looks lost against good pitching. K'ed twice on 3 pitches today. You can't have that.

I'm also not a fan of bunting Barash when Melton leads off with a double. Never been a big fan of bunting a guy from second to third. I understand why they do it, but, to me, it's not worth the out you are giving them.

I've been a fan of getting Nau out of the 3 hole for a while.

I'd rather see Banks in the 3 spot, followed by Taylor, then Melton, and then Nau. I understand that's a ton of righties. Banks and Taylor are the best sticks in the lineup, followed by Hunter. They need to be 3, 4, and 5.
I don't understand having your catcher bunt in any situation, unless it is a certain sacrifice.
Class of '93 - proud Dad of a '22 grad and a '26 student!
W
AG
I would still put Banks in the 3-hole.

Nau hit well against Mizzou's #3 starter. But not so good against the Tigers' upper echelon pitchers (e.g. Friday starter, Saturday starter, and closer). Banks, Gideon, and Taylor are more talented hitters
Goose06
AG
If you move Banks to the 3 hole, then I think you need to move Birk to about the 6 or 7 hole to spread out your lefties so you don't have a lefty come in to take care of Birk and Banks in any late inning RBI situation. If you move Birk out of the 2 hole, I don't know who you put there (I suppose Nau or Taylor or Moss).
W
AG
I would only worry about Birk & Banks back-to-back if the opponent is starting a quality left-handed pitcher
West Texan
AG
Honestly if RC is that worried about having back to back lefties, I'd look at Gideon in the 3 hole. He's been hitting really well and still gives you a righty between Birk and Banks.
Sea Gull
AG
quote:
If you move Banks to the 3 hole, then I think you need to move Birk to about the 6 or 7 hole to spread out your lefties so you don't have a lefty come in to take care of Birk and Banks in any late inning RBI situation. If you move Birk out of the 2 hole, I don't know who you put there (I suppose Nau or Taylor or Moss).

Maybe Barash. He's a decent contact hitter and has proven he can lay down a bunt. I would have no problem with moving Birk down to 7.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.