*** SEC Network PLUS is not a TV Channel ***

29,298 Views | 73 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by AlphaBean
Captain Pablo
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I am starting this because we are over 20 games into the season, and the topic of accessing the SECN+ has been explained probably 50 times, no exaggeration

But every game, people still ask why they are not getting the SECN+ game in their cable TV lineup

Here is why:

The SECN+ is not a TV Channel.

You will not find it in your Cable TV Guide because it is not there

The SECN+ is online content. "Online" meaning over the internet, not through your cable or satellite TV provider

It is offered through the WatchESPN "app" or website

In short, the SECN+ is video that is streamed into your viewing device via the Internet, and accessed through the WatchESPN app

Your "viewing device" is your computer, your tablet, your smartphone, or your smart TV

Those devices have "apps", or programs that perform functions. There is an app called the WatchESPN app. The "function" of the WatchESPN app is to provide access to the ESPN family of online content channels, one of which is the SECN+

you can also watch the steaming, online content on your regular TV set by using a small, matchbox sized device that captures the streaming video from the internet through your wireless network (wifi, hotspot, router), and sends it to your TV screen through an HDMI cable that connects to your TV. These matchbox sized devices include "AppleTV", "Roku", "ChromeCast", and "Amazon Firestick". These devices can be purchased at walmart, best buy, amazon.com, or any store that sells electronics, and each device is less than $100. Each device already has the WatchESPN app icon on it when you take it out of the box

one last thing --- in order to access the WatchESPN content, you must be a subscriber to a cable company that has an agreement with Disney to provide access to the above described online content to its customers

DO NOT GET CONFUSED by that last paragraph --- you are not using your cable hardware to access the online content. You are using your CREDENTIALS, or your unique login information that you obtain from your cable provider, to access the content

So, decide on the device you want to use to watch the content, download the app, enter your credentials, and enjoy the game

Hope that helps, and Gig Em!!

Capt_Crunch 14
AG
I'm glad someone finally put this into words in a much nicer way than I ever could.
soc87kab
AG
What channel is it on DirecTv?
BQ_90
AG
Captain Pablo
AG
quote:
What channel is it on DirecTv?

Channel Z
CashinOut
AG
What I want to know, is why is there an SEC Network A&B alternate channel but nothing is ever on them
jkag89
Nice if STAFF would pin this at the top. If this season continues to go as we all hope, more and more folks are going to take an interest in the team.
Lance Uppercut
AG
I had it listed by mistake as TV in game thread on opening day. It has been listed as such for superstition purposes since. I almost feel bad for the confusion, so I'm glad someone else addressed the problem.
farmer95
AG
You forgot the part where Bama sucks at SECN+
trouble
AG
I'm so glad someone posted this.
jkag89
quote:
I had it listed by mistake as TV in game thread on opening day. It has been listed as such for superstition purposes since. I almost feel bad for the confusion, so I'm glad someone else addressed the problem.
Crash Davis: I never told him to stay out of your bed.
Annie Savoy: You most certainly did.
Crash Davis: I never told him to stay out of your bed.
Annie Savoy: Yes you did.
Crash Davis: I told him that a player on a streak has to respect the streak.
Annie Savoy: Oh fine.
Crash Davis: You know why? Because they don't - -they don't happen very often.
Annie Savoy: Right.
Crash Davis: If you believe you're playing well because you're getting laid, or because you're not getting laid, or because you wear women's underwear, then you are! And you should know that!

Glad you are respecting the streak Lance!
Ben Puig 97
AG
Thanks Pablo.

So what is the best device to stream from?
Captain Pablo
AG
quote:
Thanks Pablo.

So what is the best device to stream from?

That is personal preference

All of the "matchbox" external devices work well

Roku is probably what I'd buy if I was buying my 1st one. They are not owned by google, apple, or Amazon and supposedly this "independence" enables them to have more apps than other devices
Don't know if that's true or not, just what I heard. I believe Roku does have the most apps, for whatever reason

Also, Roku has the TexAgs streaming content app

Apple is supposed to be good

Amazon Fire Stick is adequate, inexpensive, simple, and provides a great picture

Chromecast is the cheapest, and the only one without a remote control. It works through your smartphone or tablet, so that you are actually controlling the video on your TV screen with your phone

I've had Amazon Firestick and chromecast. I prefer a conventional remote, so I usually use Amazon, which is fine for me since all I use it for is ESPN content and movies occasionally
trouble
AG
I love my Chromecast. It's fairly idiot proof.
Sandman98
AG
So many answers, but none of them solve my Time Warner problem. That's a personal responsibility issue.
Captain Pablo
AG
Here's an article comparing all 4 devices

http://www.cnet.com/news/chromecast-vs-apple-tv-vs-roku-3-which-media-streamer-should-you-buy/
Ben Puig 97
AG
Thanks for the great info! I really appreciate it.
Sea Pony 07
AG
I call or chat and complain about this weekly. It makes no difference, but it makes me feel a little better.
Captain Pablo
AG
One thing to consider is compatability, and the most important thing here is your "ecosystem"

In other words, is your house an "iOS (apple) house" or an "android (google) house?

Do you mainly use apple iOS products or android/windows products?

Now, for most things, it doesn't matter. But for some things, such as desktop or device mirroring, it can be a BIG issue. "Mirroring" essentially means projecting your device screen onto your TV screen. For example, projecting a video from your phone onto your tv. Or like in the old fashion days when Walt and Shirley tortured the neighbors with a slide show of their ****ing trip to the great Wall of China. You now torture your neighbors with the slide show on your phone

Anyway, while they claim to be compatible with each other, problems can come up when you mix and match. Kind of like Democrats and Republicans can display fake civility at times, they usually don't work well with each other in politics

so, my suggestion, if you are an apple household, or you have apple devices, you may want to go with appletv

If you are an android house, go with a non apple device

I would definitely suggest NOT getting a chromecast if you plan to watch the games, or mirroring, using your iPhone or iPad.

Just my 2 cents on that

Captain Pablo
AG
I do not know the mirroring compatability between iOS (apple) devices and Roku.

Perhaps somebody else has experience here
austinag1997
AG
quote:
So many answers, but none of them solve my Time Warner problem. That's a personal responsibility issue.
It's unbelievable.
Rocco S
quote:

Surely you have a friend with another cable TV provider that'll let you use their log in
condoaggie
AG
Thanks Pablo. I purchased the ROku 3 and a HDMicable I hooked it up between the Top of 7th and was watching the baseball game 20 minutes later. There is some account setup on Roku and on WatchESPN. Very simple process and I was set. Thanks for the information
jt2hunt
AG
Time Warner sucks on this thread.
Ben Puig 97
AG
Got my Roku 3 today!! Thanks Pablo.
wbt5845
AG
What channel is it in Arlington?
LostAg
Watch it on my Xbox by downloading the ESPN app on the Xbox...You then have to give your TV provider during registration...
Captain Pablo
AG
quote:
Watch it on my Xbox by downloading the ESPN app on the Xbox...You then have to give your TV provider during registration...

Good point

You may also be able to view WatchESPN content on your TV set by using your gaming device or DVD/Blue Ray player.

Your Gaming console or DVD/BR player will need to be capable of connecting to your wireless network, and must be capable of downloading and supporting the WatchESPN app.

Once these capabilities are establised, down load the app, enter your credentials and enjoy the game as you would with anybody the above mentioned external devices
BoerneGator
AG
quote:
I love my Chromecast. It's fairly idiot proof.
Only if the idiot has your help!

trouble
94chem
Can't I just keep my spare laptop next to my t.v. and feed it through the HDMI cable?
Captain Pablo
AG
quote:
Can't I just keep my spare laptop next to my t.v. and feed it through the HDMI cable?

Yup
biobioprof
I have an Apple TV because it was $99 at the time, and Apple gave me a $100 gift certificate for buying a laptop. It works fine for WatchESPN, MLB, Netflix, and other stuff, but it doesn't have Amazon Streaming Video as an app. I can send Amazon video to it via AirPlay, but so far I haven't bothered.

One of these days we'll get a new TV that will probably have smart features whether we want them or not.
WiIIiam Wallace
WiIIiam Wallace
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.