A History of Texas A&M Baseball Through Baseball Cards

78,875 Views | 238 Replies | Last: 2 mo ago by Mr.Ackar07
Mr.Ackar07
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Over the last five years, I have been working on a collection of baseball cards featuring former players, coaches, and students, and I thought it time to share with my fellow A&M baseball enthusiasts. Sporadically, over the next indefinite timeline, I hope to share with you scans of my collection along with the history of the players and students depicted on the cards. Before I begin though, I thought I should share some facts about my collection.

My collection consists of baseball cards that meet one of the following three conditions:

1) The card mentions Texas A&M or Aggies in some capacity on the card.

2) The card features the player in their Texas A&M uniform.

3) The card features a certified autograph from the manufacturer.

Over the last few years, in order to accommodate a few more players, I have added a fourth rule that applies to other non-baseball sports cards:

4) The card mentions that they played baseball at Texas A&M.

With those stipulations in mind and a list of almost 700 former players and students, I compiled a list of over 8,500 cards which I was then able to narrow down to 2,500 that met one of the four criteria. I have now been able to acquire over 1,300 of those cards featuring 170 different players, coaches, and students spanning from 1909 to 2015. I have also been able to acquire cards that mention Texas A&M in four different languages:

English:

Spanish:

French (Canadian):

And Japanese:

There may be a Korean issued baseball card out there, but I have yet to find one. Please note that a few pictures will show what looks like identical cards, but there are some subtleties between them that make them a unique parallel or variation that the card collecting community deems as a different card.

To begin, let's start with Texas A&M University:

Texas A&M opened in 1876, and fielded its first baseball team in 1894. Not much about the team is known, including who coached the team, except for the fact that they went 3-1 on the year, all against local high school teams; A&M would not field another team until 1904. Since then, Texas A&M has produced 112 consecutive teams entering the 2015 baseball season. All told, the Aggies have an overall record of 2,524-1,428-42, good for a .636 winning percentage (through the 2014 season). The Ags have yielded 52 major league players through signings and drafts directly out of A&M. There have also been several other players/students to make an MLB roster outside of those going pro directly out of campus. The above card shows the campus circa 1993.

Head Coach Charles Moran 1909-1914

"Uncle Charlie" left behind a mediocre and brief MLB career and stepped onto the A&M campus in 1909 to coach both the baseball and football teams. In his 6 years at the helm of the baseball team, Moran guided the Aggies to a 48-46-5 record; he also compiled a 38-8-4 record with the football team. Shortly after leaving Texas A&M, Moran became an MLB umpire, serving exclusively in the NL, until the 1939
season. He was part of 4 World Series umpiring crews, including the 1927 Yankees sweep of the Pittsburgh Pirates. He was elected into the Texas A&M Athletic Hall of Fame in 1968.

Harry "Rip" Collins 1916-1919

Rip Collins was a four sport star at Texas A&M, but was described as "having a million dollars worth of talent and 25 cents worth of enthusiasm." Even so, Collins turned into an adequate MLB pitcher for the Yankees, Red Sox, Tigers, and Browns. During his tenure at A&M, all under the tutelage of D.V. Graves, Collins helped guide the Aggies to an overall 48-24-3 record. Collins eventually retired to Bryan, TX where he resided until his death in 1968.
Tex100
AG
Excellent
Charlie Moran
AG
You want me to autograph mine ?
KT 90
AG
"The Ags have yielded 52 major league players through signings and drafts directly out of A&M. "

Can you post this list?
Mr.Ackar07
Mike Balenti
H.W. "Rip" Collins
Tim Griesenbeck
Bernie Henderson
E.E. "Topper" Rigney
Joel Hunt
Roy "Beau" Bell
J.T. "Jake" Mooty
Bill Sodd
Jess Landrum
John Carden
Stan Hollmig
Ray Katt
Les Peden
Wally Moon
Davey Johnson
Lou Camilli
Doug Rau
Robert Bonner
Bryan "Twig" Little
Mark Ross
Mark Thurmond
Steve Davis
Sherman Corbett
Rick Luecken
Russ Swan
Chuck Knoblauch
Ever Magallanes
Scott Livingstone
Rich Robertson
Jeff Granger
Chris Clemons
Trey Moore
Chad Allen
Ryan Rupe
Kelly Wunsch
Matt Blank
Kevin Beirne
Jason Tyner
Justin Atchley
Casey Fossum
Logan Kensing
Eric Reed
Zach Jackson
Justin Ruggiano
Cliff Pennington
Robert Ray
Brandon Hicks
Kevin Whelan
Brooks Raley
Alex Wilson
Michael Wacha

And these are direct pro signees out of A&M, so it doesn't include guys like Lew Ford and Anthony Vasquez who played at another school between A&M and signing a pro contract.
KT 90
AG
Thanks Mr.Ackar07!
Agsncws
AG
Good work Mr Ackar. As you know, I support your endeavor.
powderlyag
AG
Mr. Ackar
Have you been able to locate a card(s) for All-American Bob Long '69?
Agsncws
AG
There is no "catalogued" baseball card of Bob Long according to the Standard Catalog of Vintage Baseball Cards. There could, of course, be a very oddball issue or a more current issue like the set of Aggie athletes produced in years past.
Mr.Ackar07
I have not seen one with or without Texas A&M on the back. I have seen one guy on ebay list a 1975 minor league issued card stating that it was Robert Long - Texas A&M, but the DOB on the back was 1956.
Mr.Ackar07
And just for a quick reference, as I am going in order of when they played at A&M, it won't take too long for me to reach the 60s and 70s, but once I reach the 80s, you will start to see a lot more cards. For example, I have cards for almost half of the 1989 roster.
Sea Gull
AG
Subscribed.
Mr.Ackar07
quote:
You want me to autograph mine ?

I'd like to know the reason you picked his name as your username, that is, if it's not just a big coincidence.
war hymn aggie
AG
add Rollie Sheldon to your list
Agsncws
AG
Ackar, email me at 39N105W -at- Gmail if you have the time and inclination. I do have a question for you about the list.
Mr.Ackar07
quote:
add Rollie Sheldon to your list
Rollie never played for the Ags. He came to campus in the fall, but transferred to UConn after that semester and had to sit out a year. He only played college baseball at UConn, but since he was still a student at one point, I do have a card of him the will show up eventually. The list above is only of Ags that went pro directly out of A&M and made the majors.

Semi-Autobiography article on Rollie:
http://articles.courant.com/2011-05-28/sports/hc-dom-amore-baseball-column-0529-20110528_1_yankees-brass-uconn-yankee-stadium
Mr.Ackar07
Email sent
Mr.Ackar07
C. E. "Pat" Olsen 1921-1923

This is the only non-certified autograph and non-sports card item in the collection, but when I found it, I could not pass up the opportunity to add this to my collection; besides, the check has an image of a baseball player on it, so it almost counts as a baseball card! No other man is as synonymous with the Texas A&M baseball program as Pat. After a three year stint with the Aggies, Olsen fielded several different offers from major league teams before signing with the New York Yankees. Despite never making a major league roster, Olsen roomed with Lou Gehrig during one spring training, and remained close friends with many of the Yankee players including Babe Ruth after his return to civilian life. After retiring from baseball, Olsen began a long and successful career in the oil and gas business. His success allowed Olsen and his wife to give generously back to A&M over their lifetime, and eventually Pat was chosen as the name sake for the home of Texas Aggie baseball, Olsen Field, where the Ags have played since 1978. During his lifetime, Pat Olsen attended over 400 World Series games over a span of 70 years. He even attended a post game celebration of Don Larsen's 1956 perfect game in which he was able to acquire a signed game used ball of Larsen's that was inscribed "No Hit Game, World Series Oct. 8, 1956" and was later a featured item in the legendary auction house Sotheby's 2004 baseball memorabilia auction; it went for almost $25,000.

Roy "Beau" Bell 1929-1931 & Head Coach 1951-1958

Beau Bell led the Aggies in 1931 to their first SWC Champions title while also becoming the first Ag to garner All-American honors. After his career at Texas A&M as a player, Beau went on to play for the Browns, Tigers, and Indians over a 7 year MLB career. In 1936, while playing for the Browns, Beau finished 13th in MVP voting while compiling 100 runs, 212 hits, 40 doubles, and 136 RBIs while posting a .344 batting average. In 1937 he improved his hits and doubles to 218 and 51 respectively while finishing 17th in MVP voting. Beau eventually returned to the Texas A&M campus as the head coach in 1951 and immediately took the Ags to their first College World Series appearance where the Ags went 1-2, beating Ohio St. 3-2 for their lone victory. The Ags would make the playoffs under Beau's guidance again in 1955 but ended up going 1-2 against Arizona in the first round of the playoffs and were eliminated. During those playoff years, he led the Ags to their 6th and 7th SWC Champions titles.

Henry "Cotton" Pippen

I'm not convinced Cotton Pippen actually played or attended Texas A&M, or, for that matter, 100% confident he didn't either. Most of the A&M facts listed on the internet are from this exact baseball card. The card says he lettered in 2 sports at A&M, but he does not appear in any A&M guides. I was able to talk to his grand niece, and she says that he has a degree from the Texas School of Mines (now known as UTEP), but did not know if he attended Texas A&M or not. Until I can prove otherwise, this card stays in the collection. If anyone here has any support for or against him being an Aggie, I would greatly appreciate it.
Bernie13
I'd like to have the rest of Mr. Olsen's check book!!!!!!!!!!!!!
TempleAg97
AG
Great stuff! Thanks.
war hymn aggie
AG
here's some Aggie baseball "cards" from 1920.

Capitol Ag
AG
Wow! Gotta bookmark this. Awesome!
Mr.Ackar07
quote:
here's some Aggie baseball "cards" from 1920.

I can't read the hand writing, but one of those guys might be Bernard "Barnyard" Henderson who pitched in 2 games for the Indians in 1921.
Mr.Ackar07
Jake Mooty 1932-1935

Mooty, a two-time SWC All-Conference selection and team captain his senior year, helped guide the Aggies to their 2nd SWC Champions title in 1934. Mooty went onto spend 7 years in the MLB with the Reds, Cubs, and Tigers posting a 16-23 record. During his final pro season in 1950, Jake, at age 38, posted a 10-4 record with the El Paso Texans of the Arizona-Texas League. Jake transitioned into the grocery business following his playing days. He died in 1970 at the age of 58.

Leslie "Les" "Gooch" Peden 1939-1941

A two sport star at Texas A&M, Les captained both the baseball and basketball teams. In all three years at A&M, all under Marty Karow, the Ags would finish 2nd in the SWC conference. Upon graduation, Les joined the US Army and served in the European Theater during World War II. After retiring from active duty, Les joined the Los Angeles Angles of the Pacific Coast League. During a Rule 5 draft, Les was selected by the Washington Senators and appeared in all 9 games of his MLB career in 1953. Les would participate in 18 minor league seasons while acting as a player-manager during his final 10 seasons.

Ray Katt 1945(?)

I'm not sure when Ray started his career with Texas A&M, as he is not listed as a letter-winner in any guides I can find. The A&M media guide lists him as signing a pro contract in 1945, but other sources say that he signed in 1947. Ray would play 8 years in the majors with the New York Giants and St. Louis Cardinals. Ray transitioned into a coaching role with the Cardinals and Indians before returning to Texas. Ray would go on to coach the Texas Lutheran Bulldogs from 1971 to 1992 compiling a 502-362-2 record, and secured 6 Big State Conference Championship titles. In his only games against the Aggies, his Bulldogs would lose twice in 1978 by scores of 12-1 and 18-5. The Bulldogs renamed their field in 1999 upon Ray's death to Katt-Isabel Field. He was posthumously elected into the NAIA Hall of Fame.

Agsncws
AG
War hymn Ag - what, exactly, are those and how did you come by them? Very interesting. Email me at above if you don't want to cloud the thread.
war hymn aggie
AG
Agsncws,

I inherited the photos and other A&M items from my father (Class of '62) when he passed away a couple of years ago. My grandfather (Class of '20) had saved a bunch of his personal belongings throughout the years.

Not many sports related photos, but some really fascinating & one-of-a-kind items.

Ackar,
great thread. I collect sportscards from athletes that played for A&M(mostly football, tho). You have posted a few that I was not aware of. I also enjoy the history that goes along with the player. Keep up the good work!
Sea Gull
AG
quote:
Ray Katt 1945(?)

I'm not sure when Ray started his career with Texas A&M, as he is not listed as a letter-winner in any guides I can find. The A&M media guide lists him as signing a pro contract in 1945, but other sources say that he signed in 1947. Ray would play 8 years in the majors with the New York Giants and St. Louis Cardinals. Ray transitioned into a coaching role with the Cardinals and Indians before returning to Texas. Ray would go on to coach the Texas Lutheran Bulldogs from 1971 to 1992 compiling a 502-362-2 record, and secured 6 Big State Conference Championship titles. In his only games against the Aggies, his Bulldogs would lose twice in 1978 by scores of 12-1 and 18-5. The Bulldogs renamed their field in 1999 upon Ray's death to Katt-Isabel Field. He was posthumously elected into the NAIA Hall of Fame.
That's my friend's grandpa. I don't think he ever played at A&M...I sent my friend this link so we'll find out. His dad, Bruce Katt, pitched for Tom Chandler in the 70s. I believe Bruce Katt has the all time SWC single game strike out record of 20. My buddy, however, is a little BEETCH (jk, pal ). Real nice family though BTW.
cserold01
AG
I've posted some of Ray Katt's baseball cards below. Both of his children graduated from A&M (as well as both of his children's spouses). He had four grandkids that graduated from A&M (including myself). His son Bruce Katt (as stated above) was a very successful pitcher for the Aggies in the 70's. I'm pretty sure "Grandpa" was at A&M for the '45 season and then lost his scholarship win all of the previous scholarship players came back from the war. He had to go join the Merchant Marines after leaving A&M. He tried out for the New York Giants in Landa Park in New Braunfels, TX and made the team. He won a world series with the NY Giants in 1954 when the Giants swept the Cleveland Indians.

Mr.Ackar07
quote:
quote:
Ray Katt 1945(?)

That's my friend's grandpa. I don't think he ever played at A&M...I sent my friend this link so we'll find out. His dad, Bruce Katt, pitched for Tom Chandler in the 70s. I believe Bruce Katt has the all time SWC single game strike out record of 20. My buddy, however, is a little BEETCH (jk, pal ). Real nice family though BTW.
Looking forward to what your friend says. According to the media guide, Bruce struck out 19 against SMU in 1970. Jeff Granger would strike out 21 two decades later, but it was against Lubbock Christian, so not a SWC opponent.
cserold01
AG
Ackar, none of the cards I have for Ray Katt mention his time at Texas A&M but if you would like some for your collection, please let me know. I'd be happy to send you some.
Sea Gull
AG
Post a pic of the WS ring!
Mr.Ackar07
quote:
Ackar, none of the cards I have for Ray Katt mention his time at Texas A&M but if you would like some for your collection, please let me know. I'd be happy to send you some.

Thanks for the gesture, but I'll pass; I want to keep to my rules. I have not come across a card of his that mentions Texas A&M yet, but he has a few odd ball brand issued cards that I have yet to see a copy of, so there is a possibility that one exists. In addition to the card I have (which there are only 6 copies of) he does have another cut signature card similar to the Beau Bell cut signature, but the owner of the only copy I've seen was asking a bit much.
Agsncws
AG
I own all of Mr Katt's catalogued cards (except for the 1955 Bowman Sample Strip). I'll check them tonight, but I don't recall any of them mentioning A&M in print.
cserold01
AG
quote:
I own all of Mr Katt's catalogued cards (except for the 1955 Bowman Sample Strip). I'll check them tonight, but I don't recall any of them mentioning A&M in print.
Mr.Ackar07 and Agsncws, if you have contact information for anyone selling any of Ray Katt's cards (that are not included in the ones I posted above) I would greatly appreciate you sending that to me. I'd be interested in purchasing them.

Also, if either of you guys have cards that are not in the list above I'd love just to see a picture of them if that is at all possible. I didn't know any more existed outside of these.

Thanks!!
Craig
cserold01
AG
quote:
he does have another cut signature card similar to the Beau Bell cut signature, but the owner of the only copy I've seen was asking a bit much
Any idea how I could get in touch with this guy? Thanks, Craig

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.