Might try and get into Aggie baseball this season

2,062 Views | 11 Replies | Last: 9 yr ago by Colonel_Janus
Colonel_Janus
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Hey guys, I'm already diehard Aggie football, and wound up getting really into the MLB season last year watching the Astros...so now I'm considering maybe giving baseball a go. Do yall have any recommendations as to what players to look into or how I should learn up on our team a little?

if it winds up being a lot of fun, I'm definitely gonna try and head up to CS a couple times for baseball games this season

thanks and gig em
Lance Uppercut
AG
If you got into baseball watching last year's Astros, you might be a pretty big fan of the game.

This is the thread I've done where I try and keep up with where any past Aggies are playing in the majors and minors. It's fun to see who gets to play the game for awhile after college, and serves as some evidence that you have the chance to see some really talented players at the collegiate level.

Here is this year's schedule, and 12thman.com will update the links as the games approach with relevant audio and video links.

This is the link for direct ticket purchases from the athletic department, or there are always good deals for baseball and basketball at our Flash Seats page.

D1Baseball did a good write-up recently on this year's team, which includes some stats from last year's team. Gabe Bock and the Texags crew do quite a few interviews and write-ups that are linked here and in Premium as well. If you want to know a little about last year's team or the recent history of the team/players. the history page from 12thman.com should provide some good info and links for as far as you want to look into that.

And since it sounds like you aren't in College Station, we got good news recently about the number of televised games that will be shown this season, so you'll have plenty of chances to catch a game from home.

And last but not least, there will be some game threads here where we follow the games as they're in progress for those that don't have easy access to Dave on WTAW or a tv/computer screen. There's usually a pretty good group of people that want to talk Aggie baseball during the season.

McGibblets
AG
Lance always puts out great baseball content. Nottebrook would be my closest comparison to an Astro from last season. Tons of power, but not the most consistent. Also, check out the baseball other board for MLB. There's a good stros following over there
Detective Jake Peralta
AG
If you really want to get into Aggie baseball, get to a game at Olsen as fast as you can. In my extremely biased opinion, there's nothing better than a spring Friday night/weekend afternoon watching a game and just taking in the atmosphere. I'm pretty optimistic about this year's team, and it's my first season as a student so I'll definitely be taking advantage of my sports pass!

Also, just some tips for posting here: Once basketball and spring football are over, there will be many posters that flood here and almost every thread will either overly bash or praise Childress (our coach) so you might want to pick your side
McGibblets
AG
NA18, make sure to come sit in (the real) 203. Its different, but if you stick around for a few games, you'll be hooked. Also, that's why I don't hang around this board too much
Detective Jake Peralta
AG
I've sat there before, but never introduced myself because I didn't get to go to games very consistently. I'll definitely be there a lot this year though!
McGibblets
AG
Bring friends and sit by the regulars. It'll take a while, but its great once you get to know the 203ers
Capt. America
AG
quote:
Bring friends and sit by the regulars. It'll take a while, but its great once you get to know the 203ers
Being in 203 for the past few years, I can attest to this. It takes a few games, but introduce yourself and have a good time. I've never had more fun at a Baseball game anywhere than what I've had sitting in 203.
[img]http://i.imgur.com/SGWAsbY.png[/img]
Bernie13
Section 203 9is the best section in all of college baseball. As a formewr player, I know how much they can get into the other teams head. I've actually seen a player get so frustrated that he threw a ball into 203 coming off the field after he had commited 2 errors and team had given up 17 runs in one inning in '89.

To section 203, WE LOVE YOU GUYS!!!!!
ensign_beedrill
AG
Definitely the best thing you can do is get yourself to a home game. If you can, go on Opening Day... it'll be the biggest crowd you see for a while. Sit somewhere in the GA/Student section.

You mentioned the Astros, so if you're in Houston, know that the Aggies will be playing in the Houston College Classic at Minute Maid Park this year. It's a full weekend of baseball with six participating teams. Runs from March 6-8 and the Aggies'll play in one game each day. (You can stick around and watch the other teams' games too, if you want. It's always fun.) You don't need to get tickets ahead of time, just show up early (lines tend to get long) and buy 'em at the gate. They're GA tickets and will let you watch all three games that day.
rae13
AG
Definitely make it out to a game at Olsen. I have been all over the South to watch our boys (minus LSU), and nowhere else can compare (although I'm sure The Box in Baton Rouge would come close). Olsen is a special place.
Captain Pablo
AG
Regarding minute maid....great weekend of baseball, but.....

the building ain't heated

And it's drafty as hell even with the roof closed

Dress appropriately
Colonel_Janus
quote:
If you got into baseball watching last year's Astros, you might be a pretty big fan of the game.

This is the thread I've done where I try and keep up with where any past Aggies are playing in the majors and minors. It's fun to see who gets to play the game for awhile after college, and serves as some evidence that you have the chance to see some really talented players at the collegiate level.

Here is this year's schedule, and 12thman.com will update the links as the games approach with relevant audio and video links.

This is the link for direct ticket purchases from the athletic department, or there are always good deals for baseball and basketball at our Flash Seats page.

D1Baseball did a good write-up recently on this year's team, which includes some stats from last year's team. Gabe Bock and the Texags crew do quite a few interviews and write-ups that are linked here and in Premium as well. If you want to know a little about last year's team or the recent history of the team/players. the history page from 12thman.com should provide some good info and links for as far as you want to look into that.

And since it sounds like you aren't in College Station, we got good news recently about the number of televised games that will be shown this season, so you'll have plenty of chances to catch a game from home.

And last but not least, there will be some game threads here where we follow the games as they're in progress for those that don't have easy access to Dave on WTAW or a tv/computer screen. There's usually a pretty good group of people that want to talk Aggie baseball during the season.

Great post. Really appreciate all of the advice and insight, man. Hopefully I'll be able to make it over to Olsen at least once or twice this season

thanks to everyone else for being generally cool and helpful as well!
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.