Childress Interview - Discusses Upcoming Season (9 Jan)

5,031 Views | 22 Replies | Last: 9 yr ago by dirkjones
AFDave13
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
http://www.12thman.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=27300&ATCLID=209842519

Talked about the schedule, returning players, fall-ball recap, new players, the new ball this year, and more.
dirkjones
AG
For all you Hinsley supporters, RC says he will be competing with Nottebrook for playing time at first base. Gideon and Melton are competing for 3rd. McClendon and Birk at second, and Allemand at short.
Lance Uppercut
AG
-Mentioned Nottebrok at 1st, Melton at 3rd
-Allemand at SS. I saw him play there during fall, and he seemed comfortable. Made some great plays.
-Mentioned Stubblefield and Long for starters, then Minter and Kent in the mix. Vinson and Schlottmann toward the end of games
-Taylor has been moved to the OF
-Moroney's hand still isn't 100%
-The new seams have meant more HR in their 18 scrimmages than they hit all of last year. Had guys hitting them out to center. Also more velocity and movement on cutters/sliders for the pitchers.
-Said Moss had a good fall and was playing CF
Captain Pablo
AG
Ah what the hell

I'm psyched
W
AG
a few thoughts...

- I'm still surprised how much Childress and company are relying on the returning position players

- Bolt will have his hands full with all the GiDP-threat right-handed hitters

- also seems like the bullpen is the same as last year. Was hoping for a new arm or two on the back end

dirkjones
AG
New position players had lots of errors in the fall, older guys looked pretty good at the plate. RC has said this will be his best hitting team. Looks like most positions will have good competition for playing time.

Lots of new pitchers, expect big things from fresh Turner Larkins and Cason Sherard. I've heard that Cason will hit 100 on the radar gun. Should be fun to watch.
Captain Pablo
AG
If nothing else, I'm looking forward to hopefully the return of offense in college baseball

The BBCOR era has been awful so far
W
AG
I wonder if the REC center expansion and near extension to the LF wall is going to knock down some of the typical incoming wind -- and a few more balls in February and March will get over the fence. Don't know exactly how tall the REC center back wall is going to be. Looks like at least 25 to 30 feet
Captain Pablo
AG
Maybe very low line drives, but I doubt it has any effect on high flies, which will be way above the roof and almost at the end of their descent by the time they drop to roof level
Lance Uppercut
AG
quote:
I'm still surprised how much Childress and company are relying on the returning position players

McLendon made one error all year at 2nd, and ended up at a .980 fpct once you added in his time at short. Moving Nottebrok to 1st would mean he wasn't fielding at 3rd, but that meant Melton is fielding 3rd. (When was the last time we trusted someone at 3rd?) Nottebrok is getting a shot early on, I'd guess, based on the fact that he never stopped hitting (and for power) during the fall and even with a leg injury. That's the only spot I was worried about watching in the fall. Again, I thought Allemand looked good at short. He was making some really tough plays with ease. Taylor moving to the OF makes sense too. I'm sure he'd have the arm for LF.

quote:
Bolt will have his hands full with all the GiDP-threat right-handed hitters

This I agree with. The speed on the team is Allemand (who isn't blazing fast) and Choruby who may have to challenge for playing time. The rest of the team is very right-handed and very speed challenged.

quote:
also seems like the bullpen is the same as last year. Was hoping for a new arm or two on the back end

Vinson and Schlottmann had pretty good years in the pen. I think Minter and Kent are starting, probably Minter on Sundays at this point and Kent on Tuesdays. Just a guess unless a new guy steps up. The rest is a bunch of new guys, I'd think just out of the movement of the staff to graduation and starting roles you'd see a handful of new guys looking for a role in the later innings of the game.
dirkjones
AG
I would be surprised if Turner Larkins wasn't the Tuesday starter. This would leave either Minter or Kent for the Sunday start. It's a good problem to have. I personally would like to have Kent available for long relief. But also wouldn't be bad to have Minter available to close.
East94
Larkins & Sharard on big scholarships. Sure that they are both expected to contribute. I would think coach has to allow returners a shot and will use the first few weeks at home to allow things to work out. Not sure, but I don't think Burk was on the field at the first of last season?
JeffHamilton82
Predictions are near impossible with this new ball. Hitters and pitchers will be making big adjustments. Expect the top 25 in June will look dramatically different then the Top 25 in February.
dirkjones
AG
Birk started in left field early last year, when that didn't work out he sat for awhile before coming back to the infield.
Foxo
AG
Gideon ... 7 homeruns in 18 fall games. Wow!

This does not look like a very good fielding team or a speed team. They better hit.

I think Minter closes and Kent gets Sundays. Surprised that Hendrix wasn't mentioned more.
Foxo
AG
It shouldn't be hard to pick an opening day lineup this year. Barring injury, I see:

1B Nottebrok
2B Birk
3B Melton
SS Allemand
LF Taylor
CF Moss
RF Banks
C Nau
DH Gideon
SP Stubblefield
Mark Fairchild
AG
What's the news on Barash? I thought that he was going to be in running for C.
Gig'em, Ole Army Class of '70
dirkjones
AG
I think Barash will start over Nau. (maybe RC will give the senior the opening day start?) Barash just has a better chance to throw a runner out. I also expect Mclendon to start over Birk at 2nd and Gideon to start over Melton at 3rd.
Doubleday
Agree with Foxo except Gideon at 3B instead of Melton, McLendon at 2B instead of Birk, DH will depend on LHP (take your pick of about 4 potential RH batters) or RHP (Birk)
JohnnieBB
AG
I agree with Dirk. I would put Choruby in center over Moss. Left handed hitter and fast.
dirkjones
AG
CF will be a toss up, I've heard that both played well in the fall. Will come down to who has the hot bat. May eventually see one of these guys in LF depending on how Taylor does with the move to the outfield.
Foxo
AG
Birk has to play somewhere.
Doubleday
Birk really doesn't have the glove to play MIF at this level yet. If I recall correctly he started in LF last year but that didn't go so well either. Just really needs to work on his defensive skills...and if you watched any of the fall practices, it doesn't look like he made much progress over the summer/fall. Get his bat in the lineup as a DH vs RHP (which will be 75% of the starting pitchers we face) and get him ready to play in the field as a Junior next year.
dirkjones
AG
I agree Doubleday, but we have a lot of dh's on the bench. I guess it is a good thing when a pinch hitter is needed?
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.