Summer Baseball (2015)

38,078 Views | 190 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by Foxo
Foxo
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Ags in Summer Ball .... Some will not report ... Edit 7/26/15

TCL Brazos Valley ... T.Stubblefield (SP/Limited to 2 starts), Kopetsky (RF/RP), Joel Davis (LF), Gandy (now a pro), Homan (ss/2B)

Alaska Matsu ... Martin (playing RP), Simonds (SP/RP), B. Hill (playing RP)

Cape Hyannis ... Hendrix (released 6/12 Natl Collegiate Team), Birk (2B/DH)

Cape Bourne ... Banks (released 6/13 Natl Collegiate Team)

Cape Falmouth ... White (playing LF/DH), Larkins (SP)

Cape Brewster ... Long (no longer on roster)

NWL La Crosse ... Ecker (SP), Gideon (3B/1B)

NWL Rochester ... Kent (not on roster)

NWL Wisc Woodchucks ... Chafin (SP/RP released), Whiting (not on roster)

FLorida Sanford ... Joel Davis (playing 3B/LF released), Melton (1B/3B/RP)

Cal San Luis Obispo ... Vinson (not on roster)

Coastal Plains Morehead ... Collins (playing LF/CF)

Coastal Plains Wilson ... Bedford (playing C/DH), Sherrod (RP)

Coastal Plains Martinsville ... Choruby (CF)

Kitsap (West Coast Conference) ... C Dayne Sommer (released after Jul 8)

Shelter Island (Hamptons) ... Jonathan Moroney LF/CF/DH

Neptune Beach (Califoria) ... J.B. Moss

USA Baseball Collegiate National Team ... Banks and Hendrix

No information ... Barash (Ag BB Camp), Gonzalez. Vinson
Foxo
AG
LA CROSSE, WIS. The La Crosse Loggers today announced that Texas A&M sophomores Mark Ecker
and Ronnie Gideon will return to the team in 2015.

Ecker, a righthanded pitcher, and Gideon, a third baseman, both showed major
potential during injuryshortened 2014 seasons for the La Crosse Loggers.

"We are thrilled that we get to work with both Ronnie and Mark again in
2015 and continue to help take their game to the next level," Loggers
General Manager Chris Goodell said. "Both of them will be impact guys
for us, providing leadership and power potential at the plate and on the
mound. We're equally appreciative of the continued partnership with the
Texas A&M baseball program which is one of the premiere baseball
programs in America."

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

From Press Release

(Rochester, Minn) The Rochester Honkers Baseball Club announced today that Matt Kent, a left-handed pitcher from Texas A&M, will return to the team in 2015. The 2014 Rochester Honkers Pitcher of the Year and Northwoods League (NWL) Co-Pitcher of the Year will return for his record setting fourth summer with the Honkers.

Kent is a 6-foot, 175-pound redshirt junior from Waco, Texas. He finished the 2014 NWL season 3-3 with a 2.06 ERA in 77.2 innings of work. Kent made 11 starts on the season collecting a team-high 71
strikeouts to only 10 walks while pitching two complete games. Kent ranked 5th overall in the NWL in ERA, 2nd in Strikeouts, 2nd in Innings Pitched and tied for 1st in Complete Games. Opponents hit only .222 against him.

The true ace of the Honkers' pitching staff, Kent was dominant for much of his season in Rochester, becoming the team's all-time leader in innings pitched with 228.1 in his career. Kent earned honors as a NWL Midseason All-Star, Postseason All-Star, named NWL Co-Pitcher of the Year, a NWL Top 10 Prospect and tabbed for the second consecutive year, the Rochester Honkers Pitcher of the Year. He also participated in the NWL Big Dream Showcase where he struck out two of three batters he faced
in a 1-2-3 inning.
Foxo
AG
In other baseball news, Texas A&M officials have announced that they will not post a baseball roster for the 2015 team.
Captain Pablo
AG
quote:
In other baseball news, Texas A&M officials have announced that they will not post a baseball roster for the 2015 team.

Why not?
Foxo
AG
The 2015 baseball roster has been posted -- 35 strong including White.
Foxo
AG
Summer job opportunities with the Wisconsin Rapids

http://northwoodsleague.com/wisconsin-rapids-rafters/team/employment/summer-internships/
Foxo
AG
Updating summer rosters:

Wisconsin Woodchucks ... Cody Whiting

Rochester ... Matt Kent

Matsu ... Brigham Hill, Corbin Martin, Kyle Simonds

Bourne ... Nick Banks

Sanford ... Hunter Melton

LaCrosse ... Mark Ecker, Ronnie Gibson
CampingAg
AG
Summer ball in Alaska. I'd like to hear some of the stories those guys have.
Mr.Ackar07
I wonder what the chances of Kent and Simonds making it there in the summer are. I would think both will receive draft consideration come June.
BeatHellOutOfTU
AG
Im in Alaska now, I am going to try and catch a few of their games.... met Nau's GF at a game a while back and she said he was in AK last summer as well. I am looking forward to seeing some ags playing ball up here
Mr.Ackar07
quote:
Im in Alaska now, I am going to try and catch a few of their games.... met Nau's GF at a game a while back and she said he was in AK last summer as well. I am looking forward to seeing some ags playing ball up here
If you do happen to make it to a Matsu Miners game this summer, would you be up for getting a set of their team issued baseball cards and mailing them to me? I'd cover the costs.
Foxo
AG
Matsu has been a favorite destination for Ag baseballers. We had 3 or 4 on the team last year.

I dont see any cards at their store but you might try contacting them..

http://www.matsuminers.org/view/matsuminers/store

Mr.Ackar07
I think the cards are a giveaway and not a store purchase. I was able to acquire the set last year that included Nau, Hendrix, and Stubblefield which will all be making an appearance on my thread in about a month.
Scott Sandusky
quote:
Summer ball in Alaska. I'd like to hear some of the stories those guys have.

Different from what you might be looking for, but I'm pretty sure nobody can top this one from my time in Palmer (Mat-Su). No more than 30 minutes after I had met my host family (mom, dad, 2 young kids), I was asked if I'm comfortable if they smoke weed and if I would like to join them. I said I don't smoke and that it's not the environment I had hoped for, but that I won't judge. They showed me their small grow operation in their den (it turns out these are common). I quickly learned the name of locally grown stuff that is supposed to be "the best in America".

Matanuska ThunderF#%*.

Less than 72 hours after that intro, host dad stumbled in the house at 4:00 AM followed by the cops. He had been beaten to a pulp in a bar fight. He looked like Rocky Dennis after the beating. Frightening for me but I was horrified at the thought of his kids seeing him like that. Wife screams, "this can't KEEP happening". Not the first time I guess, so I knew it was time to leave.

I was saved the next day by a family looking to host a player and had the best host experience ever from that point forward. They lived in a large cabin in the hills, I had my own car and ate every kind of game and fish you can imagine the entire summer (killed by new host dad who was an AK State Trooper).

He took me salmon fishing (combat style), and I hooked a huge carcass off the bottom of the river. That didn't go well.

Good times.

happy days
Scott

No grizzly bears in that story. You have to do better next time.
Scott Sandusky
quote:
Scott

No grizzly bears in that story. You have to do better next time.

I'm wishing now that I had said it was a grizzly bear that tuned up my host dad. I would have believed it if that was the story he told.
BeatHellOutOfTU
AG
Haha that sounds like Palmer! I'm in Eagle River about half way between anchorage and Palmer. I will keep an eye out for the cards... If I get some I will let you know! Oh and I get bears in my yard all the time!
Darryl Fry
Great story Scott! There are some interesting people up there for sure. I played for the Miners in the summer of 1985 right before I went to A&M to play baseball. Some of my teammates included fellow Ags Jimmy Flowers, Mike Scanlin and Jeff Schow. I'm surprised they actually have the rosters and other information on the Miners website from that far back. We had a couple of our fans who were Alaska natives (Nates) that came to every home game and would disappear behind the left field wall between innings to "fire one up". They sat there and heckled the opposing teams and umps the entire game and had a blast. The same two guys lived on the highway between Palmer and Anchorage and would sit outside on a coach watching cars drive by all day while drinking and smoking their stuff. One of my favorite memories was when they brought the Miss Alaska contestants to a game and had a bidding contest to have a picnic lunch with them. The locals bid on behalf of the players and tried to get us a date with them. Sarah Palin may have been one of them that year but I'm not sure. It was an awesome summer of baseball in an awesome place. Some of my teammates had "interesting" host families also but mine was an older widow who treated us like her kids. Good times!
Foxo
AG
These are great stories.
Foxo
AG
I wonder if any of our non travel players have been released to start summer ball?

Also I see that Stub, Kopetsky and Joel Davis have signed with Brazos Valley.

And Vinson with SLObisco.
dirkjones
AG
Collins and Bedford traveled I believe to South Carolina for the summer last week.
Foxo
AG
Bryan-College Station, TX (May 26, 2015) - As the 2015 Texas Collegiate League (TCL) season draws near, the Brazos Valley Bombers are excited to announce the addition of three
outstanding players from Texas A&M University.

"Coach [Rob] Childress and his staff have been really supportive of the
Bombers over the years, and have done that again this year" said Curt
Dixon, Bombers head coach. "We have signed two current members of the
Texas A&M baseball team, as well as one junior college signee."

Tyler Stubblefield, a sophomore left-handed pitcher (LHP) from Lufkin, Texas,
will begin his first season with the Brazos Valley Bombers this summer.
In addition to being named the top prospect in the Alaska Baseball
League last season by Baseball America, Stubblefield has appeared in one
game during his 2015 campaign with the Aggies while recovering from a
torn ACL he suffered before the season. Stubblefield was selected in the
36th Round of the MLB June 2014 Amateur Draft.

Junior outfielder and local talent Blake Kopetsky will begin his third
consecutive season with the Brazos Valley Bombers this summer. Kopetsky,
a TCL All-Star, batted .236 with 17 runs scored, 7 doubles, one triple,
19 home runs, and 15 stolen bases in 46 games played for the Bombers
last season. In 2013, Kopetsky hit .309 with 34 runs, six doubles, one
triple, five home runs, 50 runs batted in, eleven stolen bases, and was
named the TCL CO-Freshman of the Year during the Bombers 2013 National
Championship run.

Midwest City, Oklahoma native Joel Davis will join the Bombers in July for the
second-half of the season. Davis is currently a freshman infielder at
Seminole State College who will be joining the Aggies in the fall. Davis
batted .384 with 13 home runs and 57 runs batted in this season for the
Trojans.

"All three players are talented players and all three players will be key
contributors to the Bombers' success this summer," Dixon said.

The back-to-back TCL champions will begin their 9th season in the TCL on
the road against the Strykers on May 28. The Brazos Valley Bombers will
host the East Texas PumpJacks on June 2 for the team's home opener at
Cellucor Field.

For tickets and information on how to see the Bombers during their 2015
season, please call (979) 779 PLAY or go to www.bvbombers.com. To
follow all upcoming news and developments for the Brazos Valley Bombers,
follow or like us on facebook.com/bvbombers, and follow us on Twitter:
@BV_Bombers and Instagram: bvbombersbaseball.
Foxo
AG
Kaylor Chafin who was farmed out to Blinn for the 2015 season, got off to a rough start for the Wisconsin Woodchucks of the Northwoods League ... going 3 innings and giving up 6 hits, 3 walks and 4 earned runs to take the loss in his first start.
Lance Uppercut
AG
Kopetsky hit 19 home runs for the Bombers last year?
Foxo
AG
Matt Collins is playing left field for Morehead City of the Coastal Plains League.

Cole Bedford is catching for the Wilson Tobs of the same league.
Foxo
AG
quote:
Kopetsky hit 19 home runs for the Bombers last year?
The team record is 6.
Foxo
AG
Boomer White will be on the roster of the Cape Cod Falmouth team when the season starts on June 9. Turner Larkins will join him later.
dirkjones
AG
So do you think Chaffin will be back next year or stay another year at Blinn? or never come back at all?
Stats for this year at Blinn. Era-3.19, 7 wins 4 losses. 66 innings pitched. 3 complete games. 68 ks.
Foxo
AG
All I know is that was the rumor when he left. He had a pretty good summer as a starter last year in the Northwoods League.
Foxo
AG
Sanford River Rats @FCSLRiverRats
2h2 hours ago

Joel Davis, a @Aggie_Baseball commit comes through with a big RBI single in Inning 3. Rats take a 1-0 lead.

In his first game of the summer season, Davis went on to go 3 for 3. He was playing 3B.

Hunter Melton played for this team last summer.
Mango
AG
Scott, did you come across buffalo balls?
Foxo
AG
Florida Collegiate Summer League: "The Hitter of the Night from June 4th is Joel Davis of the River Rats by way of Texas A&M University. He went 3-for-3 , with a run score
and one driven in as well."
Foxo
AG
Cape Cod League ... Hyannis Harborhawks (2014 West Division: 3rd place, 19-24-1)

This season, the Hyannis Harbor Hawks find themselves with a young squad and will look to their two rising seniors to lead the way. Ryan Hendrix out of Cypress, Texas, appears to be a promising leader as a 6-3 right-handed pitcher. This season with Texas A&M, he went 3-0 with fives saves and an impeccable 0.42 ERA.

Ryne Birk is also on the Hyannis roster.
Foxo
AG
"Morehead ... Coastal Plains ... Matt Collins (Texas A&M) led the charge offensively with three hits on the night out of the No. 9 spot, while Wallace extended his hitting streak to five-straight games. For the first time all season, the Marlins were caught stealing twice in one game, finishing 2-4 in stolen base attempts on the night."

After struggling with the bat Collins now leads the team with 0.333 average. Playing LF>
Foxo
AG
Grayson Long is on the roster of the Brewster team in the Cape Cod League.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.